Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

Old 2 May 2006, 13:45 (Ref:1599378)   #1
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
shiny side up! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GTR on XBox 360

I have read on a couple of sites that GTR was announced for the XBox 360 last week. I want to think that this news deserves a , but I am not so sure...

I have never played GTR on a PC. I have seen GORGEOUS screen shots from the game, however, and been quite impressed. It also seems to get good gameplay review from users. But I am also under the impression that the reason GRT is so good is the mod community. If this is the case, then GTR on the XBox 360 may not be anywhere near the experience it is on the PC...

So, can anyone who is familiar with GTR share there thoughts on this topic with me? I WANT to be excited for this game on the 360, but not sure if it is really going to be all that great... especially since it will possibly coincide with Forza II being released...

Thanks!
Old 2 May 2006, 18:50 (Ref:1599553)   #2
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Unlike F1C and lately rFactor, there are really no serious mods for GTR or GTL.

The mods tend to be new car liveries and the odd standalone car, nothing like Prototype C or FIA GT 97 on F1C.

The core game is what makes GTR so good not the mods.

BTW, 'GTR' on the 360 is actually 'GTR2'.

I'd expect a PS3 version at a later date.
Old 2 May 2006, 20:47 (Ref:1599665)   #3
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Disclaimer: I rarely play consoles these days so what I say below may be complete rubbish.

I don't have a 360, but It'll still be interesting to see what its like. With the Xbox & PS2, you have more restraints making a proper sim difficult.

The Xbox for example (I'm not as familiar with the internals of the PS2) has only 64Mb RAM whereas the new 360 has 512 and far more computing power which could be put to good use for the calculations needed to simulate all the parameters.

I guess it'll ultimately come down to who the marketing people want to target, but as its from Simbin it should at least have a Simulation mode right? (he says). Steering wheels also seem to be getting a bit more popular on consoles from what I can remember.

I'm wondering if they will lean towards the approach taken on GT Legends. I have the game and the cars are great, but even in Sim mode it still has the arcadey countdown thing at the start of races and you have to work your way up to buy the cars. I digress, but I just hope they don't do something similar with GTR2 on both platforms.
Old 2 May 2006, 20:50 (Ref:1599670)   #4
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
X-Box 360 should run GTR beautifully.

Which is very sad, as I was going to sell mine having played on it precisely zero times since the end of December. Could have done with the money!

I'll have to keep it now!
Old 3 May 2006, 16:19 (Ref:1600150)   #5
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Seeing as most serious GT4 players have the DFP wheel and pedals, which incidently is now the wheel of choice for the PC, I'm guessing the 360 will have a force feedback wheel soon.

GTR '2' on the 360 looks to be a straight port of the PC game, but with fancier graphics. 360/PS3 owners will tend to be the same kind of people who use there PC for games, especially early adopters.

I've read all cars will be available from the start.

BTW, the countdown can be disabled in GTL, and theres a cheat to unlock all cars.
Old 4 May 2006, 13:11 (Ref:1600659)   #6
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
Thanks for your insight into the nature of GTR, guys!

I think there is good reason to anticipate it being a success on the 360, so now all that is left is the long 7+ month wait until it arrives!!!
Old 5 May 2006, 19:38 (Ref:1601437)   #7
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
The one thing which bothered me about GTR one the PC(and this is going to sound really superficial) was the DX7 graphics engine they used. The game looked like it was made in 1998, with no dynamic lighting, and everything looked very "flat".

Thankfully, GTR2 uses a DX9 graphics engine, so it looks lush...
Old 6 May 2006, 22:37 (Ref:1602040)   #8
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GTR2 on the 360 is largely pointless until the console either supports current USB wheels or Microsoft release one of their own. Logitech will probably have one out in time for the next Forza I suppose.

Have they confirmed if GTR2 will support Xbox Live or not? If it does it might convince me to buy a 360.
Old 7 May 2006, 00:36 (Ref:1602067)   #9
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Cut Jaguar
Have they confirmed if GTR2 will support Xbox Live or not? If it does it might convince me to buy a 360.
Well looking at the image of the box on Simbin's website, it looks like it will indeed support Xbox Live.

http://www.simbin.se/index.php?page=titles&title=6

If it wasn't for having a PC, that game alone would have persuaded me to get an Xbox 360.
Old 9 May 2006, 17:11 (Ref:1604414)   #10
Obizzz
Racer

Sweden
Sweden
Obizzz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
BTW, 'GTR' on the 360 is actually 'GTR2'.
Not at all, I can't go into details but I can say that this is not the case

Of course we will have Live support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiny side up!
so now all that is left is the long 7+ month wait until it arrives!!!
rather 7 months of hard work

/Martin, artist working on GTR for the 360
Old 11 May 2006, 15:16 (Ref:1606042)   #11
ian_c_uk
Racer

United Kingdom
J5 M61
ian_c_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is there any chance of other formats, or is it 360 only? (consoles)

Ta
Old 12 May 2006, 11:00 (Ref:1606897)   #12
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian_c_uk
Is there any chance of other formats, or is it 360 only? (consoles)

Ta
PC, Xbox 360 and (eventually) PS3 only as far as I know.
Old 16 May 2006, 01:59 (Ref:1611116)   #13
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obizzz
Not at all, I can't go into details but I can say that this is not the case

Of course we will have Live support.

rather 7 months of hard work

/Martin, artist working on GTR for the 360
So will Xbox360 'GTR' be a totally new game?

2005/6 seasons?

Still a full on Sim?

Will it be out on PS3 also?

Old 18 May 2006, 16:35 (Ref:1613588)   #14
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Cut Jaguar
GTR2 on the 360 is largely pointless until the console either supports current USB wheels or Microsoft release one of their own. Logitech will probably have one out in time for the next Forza I suppose.
Right on time... M$ has announced a wireless FF wheel for the 360, will be out for GTR and Forza 2...

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/706/706021p1.html

Old 12 Jun 2006, 20:04 (Ref:1632872)   #15
chrisp2006
Racer

chrisp2006 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have the original Xbox but this game may prompt me to buy one if they manage to produce a good port of the PC version and not water it down for the console market. There does not seem to be much information about it now though.
Old 16 Jun 2006, 18:15 (Ref:1635971)   #16
Obizzz
Racer

Sweden
Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisp2006
not water it down for the console market.
not going to happen, it'll be as hardcore as the PC-version

well I can't give much more info right now but it's starting to take shape now
Old 16 Jun 2006, 20:16 (Ref:1636027)   #17
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
Rockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any news on a date for release both 360 and PC yet?
Old 16 Jun 2006, 20:35 (Ref:1636032)   #18
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
not going to happen, it'll be as hardcore as the PC-version

well I can't give much more info right now but it's starting to take shape now
Oh you tease!
Old 16 Jun 2006, 21:01 (Ref:1636041)   #19
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmunky
Any news on a date for release both 360 and PC yet?
PC GTR2 was June, its now "........." (insert image of wind and tumbleweed here).

Rumours are now saying a mid August release.
Old 20 Jun 2006, 20:42 (Ref:1638017)   #20
Obizzz
Racer

Sweden
Sweden
afaik there has never been any official word on a GTR2 date (check www.simbin.se it says "to be announced")

GTR for 360 is going through a phase where it really improves a lot every day.. it's very rewarding to work with it now
Old 20 Jun 2006, 23:21 (Ref:1638107)   #21
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Quote:
afaik there has never been any official word on a GTR2 date (check www.simbin.se it says "to be announced")

GTR for 360 is going through a phase where it really improves a lot every day.. it's very rewarding to work with it now
The first trailer for GTR2 released by SimBin stated at the end "prepare your wheels for June 2006".

The next one, said "Summer 2006".
Old 21 Jun 2006, 09:33 (Ref:1638302)   #22
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
Rockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So... June - August?
Old 20 Sep 2006, 19:54 (Ref:1714967)   #23
skentellytubby
Racer

United Kingdom
Manchester
skentellytubby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bit late but....

"GTR features all the cars, drivers and tracks from two full FIA GT Championships and challenges casual racers to become world-class drivers. Directed by professional racing driver and former FIA GT Team Owner, Henrik Roos, GTR sets new standards for racing realism on console. GTR is expected to ship globally on Xbox 360 in spring 2007"
Old 21 Sep 2006, 07:16 (Ref:1715225)   #24
Ranald
Racer

England
Oxford
Ranald should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Play.com have a release date of 23/2/07.
Old 21 Sep 2006, 18:24 (Ref:1715766)   #25
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Oh my god, that's years off!