Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 25 Jan 2007, 17:38 (Ref:1825830)   #1
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Hamilton unhurt in high speed crash

Thankfully uninjured.The car was not so lucky however.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/56476
Old 25 Jan 2007, 19:59 (Ref:1825922)   #2
koper
Veteran

Poland
Tychy(PL)
koper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkoper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good that Lewis is OK.

But one questin is coming to my mind:
Was that mechanical failure or driver error.

I think if McLaren was't sure that te crash was caused by driver they wouldn't let Alonso drive after the accident.

If that was Lewis' mistake that doesn't mean anything good - as for me it would look as he already feels the pressure.

What's your recon?
Old 25 Jan 2007, 20:01 (Ref:1825925)   #3
maximus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
maximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmaximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mistakes do happen.
Old 25 Jan 2007, 21:00 (Ref:1825966)   #4
outflat
Racer

outflat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes.

Back in the day people used to expect mistakes from time to time, but that was before the blame culture on the internet.

Clearly they'd rather it hadn't happened, but pressure? I don't think so.
Old 25 Jan 2007, 21:03 (Ref:1825967)   #5
koper
Veteran

Poland
Tychy(PL)
koper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkoper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by outflat
Yes.

Back in the day people used to expect mistakes from time to time, but that was before the blame culture on the internet.

Clearly they'd rather it hadn't happened, but pressure? I don't think so.
I don't get your point, sorry
Old 25 Jan 2007, 21:06 (Ref:1825969)   #6
outflat
Racer

outflat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Drivers crash in testing all the time.

A few years ago, we'd only know by picking up Autosport a week later.

Now there are testing reports online and people come onto forums and analyse to the nth degree.

I'd be more surprised if a first year driver didn't have a few testing shunts as he found the limit.

It would be more pressure if he was an under-budgeted driver scraping a drive with a back of the grid team, rather than one where he's nurtured and supported.
Old 25 Jan 2007, 21:17 (Ref:1825979)   #7
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Perhaps we should get this out of the way now. It's Lewis's first year in F1 and his team-mate is the reigning, two-time WDC.

Lewis will try his very best to match up and that means he will crash a few times. As long as he's unhurt, it doesn't really matter. He'll get it out of his system in time. It will be interesting to see whether it's sooner or later.
Old 25 Jan 2007, 21:26 (Ref:1825989)   #8
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
happy he escaped unhurt

but not a knock on LH and mistakes and accidents do happen, but the loss of one of the new chassis will no doubt put a strain on Mclarens development for the upcoming season.

will he be testing again tomorrow in an old car or is he done for the remainder of this test?
Old 25 Jan 2007, 21:42 (Ref:1826005)   #9
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The only way to know where the limit is, is to cross it. I'm glad he's giving it 100% and I wish him well. Its him I'll be keeping my eye on come Melbourne.
Old 25 Jan 2007, 22:01 (Ref:1826017)   #10
bosch!
Veteran

New Zealand-Maori
GodZone
bosch! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

If you look at the times Alonso was over a second up before Hamilton had his off
Quote:
Prior to his crash, Hamilton completed 33 laps, with a best time of 1:12.596 - while Alonso completed 76 laps with a best time of 1:11.698.
Obviously its impossible to know what test programs they were carrying out.
Old 26 Jan 2007, 00:30 (Ref:1826123)   #11
alonso11
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest
alonso11 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
for a rookie there is almost no proper off-season preparation without a big crash, i mean its hard to really know the limit without going over it at least once)
Old 26 Jan 2007, 00:51 (Ref:1826131)   #12
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
As long as Lewis is okay that is all that matters...
Old 26 Jan 2007, 02:14 (Ref:1826146)   #13
bosch!
Veteran

New Zealand-Maori
GodZone
bosch! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by alonso11
for a rookie there is almost no proper off-season preparation without a big crash, i mean its hard to really know the limit without going over it at least once)
I agree, but lets wait to see how responsibly the motoring journalists write this up
Quote:
Thankfully uninjured.The car was not so lucky however.
Modern cars are "designed" to crash. There remains the possibility of car failure this early into testing.
Old 26 Jan 2007, 03:21 (Ref:1826155)   #14
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We can look at the lap times but we should also look at the number of laps. Alonso had ample laps to run that time. I don't like to see the limits tested in this fashion but the good thing is he is ok.
Old 26 Jan 2007, 08:02 (Ref:1826203)   #15
Obizzz
Racer

Sweden
Sweden
Obizzz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by outflat
I'd be more surprised if a first year driver didn't have a few testing shunts as he found the limit.
Very true.. you don't know where the limit is unless you've been over it
Old 26 Jan 2007, 08:43 (Ref:1826222)   #16
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Are there pics of the car on the AS report? (I would look but from here the link is very slow and then not opening!).
Old 26 Jan 2007, 11:02 (Ref:1826311)   #17
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Crashing is part and parcel of motorsport. It's a bit stupid that some of you are now being critical because he crashed. Big deal. You learn from mistakes.
Old 26 Jan 2007, 11:09 (Ref:1826323)   #18
Ranald
Racer

England
Oxford
Ranald should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We don't even know if it was a mistake yet!
Old 26 Jan 2007, 11:13 (Ref:1826328)   #19
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
Gerben24 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
It's a shame Lewis is going to miss time in the car now.
Old 26 Jan 2007, 11:43 (Ref:1826358)   #20
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilap
We can look at the lap times but we should also look at the number of laps. Alonso had ample laps to run that time.
I agree. And when Hamilton crashed it was most likely to have been in the morning when tracks arent generally at their quickest.
Old 26 Jan 2007, 11:53 (Ref:1826364)   #21
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You can't use testing times to compare the relative performance of the 2 drivers. First time you can is March 16th in Australia.

ps. I know we don't know the cause of the crash but thats his first crash in F1, and it's not like this was his first test anyway
Old 26 Jan 2007, 12:49 (Ref:1826430)   #22
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm not sure there is a huge amount of pressure on Lewis anyway. You don't realistically expect a rookie to outperform a double World Champion, and you don't expect them to go through a whole season without a couple of crashes. Michael Schumacher had quite a few at the start of his career, and Mika Hakkinen had several when he started racing for McLaren. The point about having to exceed the limit in order to find the limit is especially valid - it's also why Michael used to go off quite often in practice, but very rarely in the races.
Old 26 Jan 2007, 12:55 (Ref:1826436)   #23
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There will be plenty more mistakes to come this season, he's a rookie after all! Give the man a break!

Judge him after this season if we are talking about dealing with pressure and all that.
Old 26 Jan 2007, 12:59 (Ref:1826446)   #24
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
I am sure that dispite the inevitable shunts,there will also be flashes of brilliance.
Old 26 Jan 2007, 14:38 (Ref:1826533)   #25
Doc Hollywood
Racer

Ireland
Dublin, Ireland
Doc Hollywood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDoc Hollywood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDoc Hollywood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Jeez, you know its silly season when things like this get two pages of coverage!

Seriously lads and ladies! Get a life!