Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 19 Sep 2009, 14:24 (Ref:2543870)   #51
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender View Post
The whole point of the exercise was to bring masses of tourists to the Gold Coast like the Indy car race did,tens of thousands of Kiwis went across for the Indy Cars.
Just 4 weeks out from the 'race' theres absolutely no information about whats actually happening so how do they expect people to book holidays for an event the appears to be unlikely to happen.People I know that went over to the Indy cars are not even interested in going back now.
The V8s are the main attracting draw card,the A1GP would be seen as a support race,and you only have to look at the poor crowd numbers at the NZ A1 race compared with the huge crowds at the NZ V8 round to see how huge the V8's are down here.
In marketing terms for any large sporting event the TV audience is much more important than the live crowd at the event. The Queensland Govt. are supporting the event because of the broadcast footprint of A1GP. This is the point that the V8 fraternity don't seem to get.

However one must question whether the Queensland Govt. have done their homework on how many people actually watch those broadcasts...
Old 11 Oct 2009, 05:40 (Ref:2558764)   #52
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Holiday!

I need a holiday! so hoping the meeting is a good one and is successful..

I doubt that the A1s will have the following with the public that the Indy cars did...not enough hype!! However, maybe we will get some converts if the racing is good
Old 12 Oct 2009, 07:21 (Ref:2559514)   #53
fredd1
Racer

fredd1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 275 GTB-4 View Post
I need a holiday! so hoping the meeting is a good one and is successful..

I doubt that the A1s will have the following with the public that the Indy cars did...not enough hype!! However, maybe we will get some converts if the racing is good
.......if the racing......

That 'if' is looking shakier and shakier.
Old 14 Oct 2009, 21:27 (Ref:2561567)   #54
nomad_n
Racer

New Zealand
gold coast
nomad_n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It looks if it is in trouble again..... the latest from the ever reilable GC Bulltien: http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/...t-supergp.html
Old 15 Oct 2009, 09:18 (Ref:2561793)   #55
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
A1GP appearance on Gold Coast in Doubt
The first round of the 2009 / 2010 A1GP season appears to be in doubt with claims the cars are not even on their way to Australia let alone will have the required safety improvements before the opening practice session on Thursday Morning let alone the planned test sessions at Queensland Raceway this Monday.

Nikon Super GP General Manager, Greg Hooton held a press conference today to attempt to clarify the position of his organisations dealings with A1GP organisers however his statement appears to raise more doubts than before.

This has caused a furious warning from acting Queensland Premier, Paul Lucas, giving A1GP organisers a 24hr ultimatum to guarantee the series cars will be flown from London to the Gold Coast in time for next week's race.

http://www.ozracingwrap.com/a1gp/814...-in-doubt.html
Old 16 Oct 2009, 07:14 (Ref:2562520)   #56
williamsf1
Veteran

williamsf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have it on good authority that v8supercars are now racing 4 150km races ....

so no A1GP
Old 16 Oct 2009, 10:59 (Ref:2562635)   #57
Francis Albert
Racer

Francis Albert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Same here. Apparently teams have been informed the event will not go ahead. An official statement is expected in the morning (Australian morning that is).

Let's see...
Old 16 Oct 2009, 11:12 (Ref:2562641)   #58
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Event

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Albert View Post
Same here. Apparently teams have been informed the event will not go ahead. An official statement is expected in the morning (Australian morning that is).

Let's see...
Well if the V8s are racing and a few other support categories then some sort of "event" will be run!!
Old 16 Oct 2009, 11:17 (Ref:2562645)   #59
Francis Albert
Racer

Francis Albert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry, I meant the A1GP "event"!
Old 16 Oct 2009, 18:16 (Ref:2562863)   #60
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guess that would be it for A1GP then. I hope we don't get some half-baked release saying shame about Surfers but see you in Zhuhai or whatever. The few people that cared until now won't any more.
Old 16 Oct 2009, 21:39 (Ref:2562982)   #61
Inside_Info
Rookie

Inside_Info should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lets be honest...

Given this article today: http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/...oast-news.html can anyone really see the A1GP plans going ahead?

As I write this it is now 11:30pm on Friday in the UK, if teams are expected to be testing at 9am Monday in Australia (which is 12 or so hours ahead, I'm not exactly sure) it takes approx 24 hours to fly from the Uk (where most of the teams and many of the personnel are based) to Australia. The cars have been sat for what 6 months? Imagine the state they are in? Would you honestly expect to park your road car for 6 months and jump straight in it and drive off? Even with the most professional of teams, what chance is there of doing a complete overhaul with a racing car in 12 hours (allowing for the time difference) and being able to look the driver straight in the eye and say 'Its going to be fine'? Of course, that assumes the cars are there when the personnel arrive......................
Old 16 Oct 2009, 22:36 (Ref:2563008)   #62
Ozden_1
Rookie

Australia
NSW Australia
Ozden_1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi All,

well I hope the promotors are prepared for some serious "flack" if the A1 GP cars don't show and without giving sufficient notice to get refunds on Tickets and accommodation.
I certainly would not have spent nearly $1200 on Grandstand tickets ( for two)plus accommodation and airfares just to watch the V8's.

Fingers crossed...

Cheers,

Dennis
Old 16 Oct 2009, 23:21 (Ref:2563022)   #63
dougcharli
Rookie

dougcharli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dennis, not sure how accurate this is, but I read yesterday where the promoters have steadfastly said they WILL NOT be offering any refunds on tickets.
Not bad, sting the punters for an "international" event, fail to deliver on the promise, and keep the $$$$.
Maybe that is why I am glad I left QLD for good.
Old 16 Oct 2009, 23:59 (Ref:2563031)   #64
Gaz170
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast, QLD
Gaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Now they have announced reduced ticket prices for the event- Weekend ticket now $100 (was $145). Accommodation places still have approx 30% vacancies, now offering 2 day stays rather than the usual 4 or 5 day minimum this time of year.

Everyone involved will be getting some serious flack when this is over, especially when it has been revealed that the A1's have already been paid half their appearance fee, I guess that money is now gone for good.
Old 17 Oct 2009, 03:29 (Ref:2563062)   #65
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Perhaps the promoter should have tried a bit harder to keep the IndyCars... rather than bowing and scraping to The Great Cochrane...

Just a thought...
Old 17 Oct 2009, 03:41 (Ref:2563063)   #66
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ah but TC is the great savior!
Headlines todays Gold Coast Bulletin.

Aussie Muscle rams Eurotrash
V8 boss rescues SuperGP

Guess you wouldn't expect Tony to be humblr but that is a bit strong.
Looks like programe will be 4x150km V8 races. Qualy Friday for Sar races and Qualy Sun morning for Sunday races.
Old 17 Oct 2009, 03:46 (Ref:2563065)   #67
N.A-D.R
Veteran

Australia
Australia
N.A-D.R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RIP A1GP 2005-2009
Old 17 Oct 2009, 07:16 (Ref:2563103)   #68
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
OK - now confirmed on both sides of the world that A1GP not coming to Surfers Paradise.

I wonder what the FIA makes of all this? This is an FIA sanctioned series and this whole situation raises a lot of questions. Of course, A1GP have form at not running scheduled race meetings. In this case they've broken contracts, allegedly misled etc.

So when does it all stop? Surely this is bringing the sport into disrepute? A state government in a motor sport friendly country has now had a very bad experience with a high level FIA series. So what should the FIA be doing about it? Seems to me that they should be bringing Mr Texeira and all concerned to book - bloody ridiculous.
Old 17 Oct 2009, 07:33 (Ref:2563105)   #69
Mak
Veteran

Mak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A1GP is not an FIA championship (the FIA Formula 2 championship is), it is only run under FIA sanction for safety issues, like most racing series. I agree that the managment should be held to book, especially TT. Also the organisers should be asked questions (especially why the had given money out prior to the event)as the current finacial A1GP problems are more that a year old and there were questions this time last year as to there liquidity. In fact the cars were seized twice during last season (1st occasion after 1st race). Then prior to NZ, when NZ seater holder had to bail them out.
Old 17 Oct 2009, 08:01 (Ref:2563108)   #70
Mak
Veteran

Mak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Link http://www.ozracingwrap.com/a1gp/817...old-coast.html

What a load of rubbish from TT. He Keeps on about meeting obligations and paying everyone. He still owes money from two years ago and continues to say he will honor these debts. People are sick of the number of times he has said they will be payed that week. He should never of been allowed the position he has held and all those involved in A1 are not blameless as they have allowed his tenure. He has wrecked a fantastic concept and made it difficult for any legitimate professional series expand into new markets. The whole upper management needs to be replaced (but not without their taking responsibility for actions). I doubt if there is any future for A1 but any hope must lie with a totally new managment. Maybe some of the main franchisees could take it on as they have most to loose now.(but I fear they may just cut and run)
Old 17 Oct 2009, 08:51 (Ref:2563124)   #71
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Well Kiwi3, prepared to be dissapointed. TT insists the series isn't dead.......

pile of c$$p. Mega-disappointed over here.
Old 17 Oct 2009, 08:52 (Ref:2563125)   #72
Kebab
Racer

Kebab has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I'm glad its not happening, it prevents any further damage caused by TT and co. to legitimate suppliers and businesses who trusted them too much! When you look at Energem, A1, etc. you understand that these people can't run a business in a straight way ... they're just criminals as far as I am concerned.
Old 17 Oct 2009, 10:22 (Ref:2563167)   #73
Andy Roberts
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Andy Roberts should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So angry that A1GP have screwed this up so badly!!

I've come down to the Gold Coast specifically to see the A1GP, have already booked in to a campsite and already picked up our weekend tickets, only to find out today 1st that the tickets have been reduced in price and then that A1GP is not coming!

What a nightmare!!! At least Gold Coast Queensland Motorsport are offering refunds for people like me who have pre-purchased tickets.

A1GP can now get stuffed. They will never ever have a chance in Australia again and I will never bother supporting or watching them again. Done.
Old 17 Oct 2009, 12:56 (Ref:2563214)   #74
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.A-D.R View Post
RIP A1GP 2005-2009
Sadly, that's exactly right.

At its peak it was a great Series and I really enjoyed it, but now it has gone. Fact. I wish it were otherwise.
Old 17 Oct 2009, 15:10 (Ref:2563267)   #75
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I now regret not watching it last season, I wanted to see the Ferrari cars. Oh well, there's always next year............