Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 3 Dec 2016, 18:57 (Ref:3693369)   #126
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Err, yes. We got class P3 for the season. Just as well it wasn't P2 or P1 as the trophies wouldn't have fitted in my backpack!
Old 3 Dec 2016, 19:05 (Ref:3693370)   #127
relativtortoise
Racer

relativtortoise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
Sorry, missed that one - it never did appeal to me!

18th Feb at the concrete jungle.

On the GP circuit apparently which I understand is new (or rare?) for the Pom?
Best event of their year - opened up regs for 2017 - should be great.

They need a good entry or it is to be the last one - simple as that
Old 3 Dec 2016, 19:57 (Ref:3693381)   #128
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Just on my way home from the GTSCC lunch and prizegiving in London, and can confirm that provisionally they will be at 4 meetings in 2017-

Donington Historic festival

HSCC Silverstone International

Castle Combe Autumn Classic

Portimao Classic

The dates for these are already posted in this thread if you read through.....
A GTSCC grid at Combe will be nice
Old 6 Dec 2016, 22:15 (Ref:3694316)   #129
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Mmm, bet the HSCC are chuffed with that.....

I knew it was being discussed last year as some PA customers have suitable cars and wanted to race them at same meetings as their other cars. Let's hope it works for everyone....
no, lets hope this falls flat and loses PA a ton of money !

HSCC puts the work in and keeps the cars running and somebody tries to steal that, disgraceful
we as racers should not support poachers as these splits hurt the racing
the Masters against HFO years did not do the grids any good at the time

I fully agree with Simon on the quality of their behavior
even if i am not used to my business competition giving notice before they make my life slightly more complicated

and my main worry: what will happen to the Berazzi ladies ? will we lose these tasteful paddock adornments ? i am not sure how i could get on with life if that happens

RuE
Old 6 Dec 2016, 22:18 (Ref:3694318)   #130
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
On the dark side of the moon
Thundersports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudernst View Post
no, lets hope this falls flat and loses PA a ton of money !

HSCC puts the work in and keeps the cars running and somebody tries to steal that, disgraceful
we as racers should not support poachers as these splits hurt the racing
the Masters against HFO years did not do the grids any good at the time

I fully agree with Simon on the quality of their behavior
even if i am not used to my business competition giving notice before they make my life slightly more complicated

and my main worry: what will happen to the Berazzi ladies ? will we lose these tasteful paddock adornments ? i am not sure how i could get on with life if that happens

RuE
Happened to EuroBoss as well sadly.
Old 7 Dec 2016, 08:15 (Ref:3694411)   #131
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
More date changes, this time from the HSCC.

The move of the 23 Sept. meeting from Brands to Snett has already been mentioned, but now the date of the Silverstone Finals meeting has moved to 21/22 October.

With all these diary changes sales of Tipp-Ex must be going through the roof!
Old 7 Dec 2016, 11:22 (Ref:3694469)   #132
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The words "just pencil it in" come to mind.
Old 8 Dec 2016, 08:05 (Ref:3694686)   #133
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
A few questions.

john, If TVR Granturas are allowed in fiscar, what about Tornados? Didn't hit the road until late 60/61, but I'm sure it was on the drawing board in the late 50's

I wonder if PA decisions have been influenced by Brexit? Not defending the clash but the whole sorry state of affairs is already having an effect for many, particularly at the 'normal' end of the market.
Old 8 Dec 2016, 09:26 (Ref:3694708)   #134
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Re: Historic F2

The HSCC have issued a terse statement to the effect that they wont be bullied and are committed to Historic F2.
Very good move, no drama, no naming names no accusations.
The style of this is very British. Personally, I doubt if the adressees will catch the full drift as its a bit subtle.

Personally, I like it a lot, especially after reading it a second time.

I dont think this is Brexit fallout

I agree with the explanation given
Some Group C or Endurance clients of PA seem to be owning suitable cars and want to race more than one car at PA events

RuE
Old 8 Dec 2016, 10:00 (Ref:3694726)   #135
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I agree with Simon's view.

But being a bit "glass half full", perhaps this just demonstrates the difference between PA and HSCC. It's a bit like MRL and PA, they both run similar categories but one is FIA sanctioned and the other is a UK centric organisation. So in the case of F2 can the two organisers co-exist? Seems to me that if you can afford to run a F2 then the chance of a few overseas events might be attractive. However if the calendars clash then perhaps PA doesn't have that same view.

As to the Vote to leave the EU? Not sure how that impacts most of us since we can still travel throughout Europe, just the same as we did before Lisbon. Delta and Gordon probably have more experience than most with this. But in the context of historic motor sport in general I doubt there will be much difference.
Old 8 Dec 2016, 10:48 (Ref:3694748)   #136
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post

But being a bit "glass half full", perhaps this just demonstrates the difference between PA and HSCC. It's a bit like MRL and PA, they both run similar categories but one is FIA sanctioned and the other is a UK centric organisation. So in the case of F2 can the two organisers co-exist? Seems to me that if you can afford to run a F2 then the chance of a few overseas events might be attractive. However if the calendars clash then perhaps PA doesn't have that same view.

As to the Vote to leave the EU? Not sure how that impacts most of us since we can still travel throughout Europe, just the same as we did before Lisbon. Delta and Gordon probably have more experience than most with this. But in the context of historic motor sport in general I doubt there will be much difference.

Peter, I think there is a misunderstanding
the HSCC F2 series IS a Euro Series, there is only one UK round per year
usually Brands Hatch, but Oulton this year

PA can bring nothing to the table that is not there already

RuE
Old 8 Dec 2016, 10:52 (Ref:3694751)   #137
Brian A
Racer

England
Sunny West Sussex
Brian A should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post

john, If TVR Granturas are allowed in fiscar, what about Tornados? Didn't hit the road until late 60/61, but I'm sure it was on the drawing board in the late 50's

Joe - if I can respond to this one, the TVR Grantura was actually in production from 1958 with either the 1098cc Climax FWA or the 1172cc Ford side valve engines. It is only the early series cars that are eligible for FISCAR, not the hot rod (x-flow) MGB engined cars.

There were probably several interesting cars that were on the drawing board in the late 50s but if they didn't make it into production until the following decade, accordingly they become cars of the sixties.
Old 8 Dec 2016, 10:56 (Ref:3694754)   #138
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Quote:

As to EU matter
again, I dont agree
what You can do or not NOW is not the question
the question will be how it will work IN FUTURE
as this will mean bringing car from UK into and out of the EU there will be the full customs and tax impact of that
AT BEST, you will need carnets again for the cars and tools to get in and out with no taxes paid and no bonds or deposits paid on entry on the assumption that you will take the car back

this will apply vice versa for Europeans going into the UK

also it would be one thing to get the car for instance FROM UK INTO EUROPE,
it is quite another TO GET IT BACK IN
dont assume that UK customs will treat You friendly because you are UK resident
potentially you are evading taxes so they will check
just ask a car/bike dealer about NOVA and the potential fines involved
and this is NOW where there is no tax to paid importing a classic car from Europe but You can still get fined over NOVA if you dont register vehicle movement quickly

And if You dont believe me....
remember Bernie had use his influence to get F1 spares out of customs this year in Asia ?

UK will have similar customs status, so expect similar falllout

on the other hand, there are FJ tour events all over the world with cars beeing shipped, so it is possible to do that, just into Europe with more red tape than before

RuE

Last edited by Rudernst; 8 Dec 2016 at 11:18.
Old 8 Dec 2016, 11:22 (Ref:3694762)   #139
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Peter, I think there is a misunderstanding
the HSCC F2 series IS a Euro Series, there is only one UK round per year
usually Brands Hatch, but Oulton this year

PA can bring nothing to the table that is not there already

RuE
Ah ok then I agree entirely with Simon's view. Thanks for correcting me.
Old 8 Dec 2016, 11:30 (Ref:3694765)   #140
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
As to EU matter
again, I dont agree
what You can do or not NOW is not the question
the question will be how it will work IN FUTURE
as this will mean bringing car from UK into and out of the EU there will be the full customs and tax impact of that
AT BEST, you will need carnets again for the cars and tools to get in and out with no taxes paid and no bonds or deposits paid on entry on the assumption that you will take the car back

this will apply vice versa for Europeans going into the UK
Yes my point was it happened before so nothing new just as you say red tape.

Quote:
also it would be one thing to get the car for instance FROM UK INTO EUROPE,
it is quite another TO GET IT BACK IN
dont assume that UK customs will treat You friendly because you are UK resident
potentially you are evading taxes so they will check
just ask a car/bike dealer about NOVA and the potential fines involved
and this is NOW where there is no tax to paid importing a classic car from Europe but You can still get fined over NOVA if you dont register vehicle movement quickly

And if You dont believe me....
remember Bernie had use his influence to get F1 spares out of customs this year in Asia ?

UK will have similar customs status, so expect similar falllout

on the other hand, there are FJ tour events all over the world with cars beeing shipped, so it is possible to do that, just into Europe with more red tape than before

RuE
We may have got complacent with the ability to roam around Europe freely. But I do recall the old days of shipping stuff around the globe. I also have direct experience of Asia and the Middle East. All pretty much the norm.

I suspect what will happen is that preppers will get more business because they will have the facilities and people to deal with the paperwork.

But as it isn't going to happen for a couple of years, my position is that things won't change dramatically before or after the UK leaves the EU. The more relevant question is "will the EU exist in 2 years time?"
Old 8 Dec 2016, 11:48 (Ref:3694772)   #141
Geraint Owen
Racer

Geraint Owen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The tax/import/carnet issue is so easy to sort. Just get road registration papers for your race car. Problem goes away in an instant. That way you can trailer through Switzerland too. The guards on the Swiss border couldnt have been more helpful this summer once they saw a V5C
Old 8 Dec 2016, 12:39 (Ref:3694783)   #142
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geraint Owen View Post
The tax/import/carnet issue is so easy to sort. Just get road registration papers for your race car. Problem goes away in an instant. That way you can trailer through Switzerland too. The guards on the Swiss border couldnt have been more helpful this summer once they saw a V5C
this is very good advice
works for touring cars

for single seaters you might still need a carnet as you wont get a V5C for a March F2 car.....

but sure, life will go on, and there will be ways

RuE
Old 8 Dec 2016, 12:55 (Ref:3694789)   #143
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Not all Touring Cars had chassis numbers. The TWR cars had a TWR stamp, they weren't, as far as I know, registered. Likewise the CC Racing Capris that had CC numbers. So that's where an HTP may be useful. The HTP bar code is as good as any chassis number. Caveat being that someone less scrupulous would probably find a way around it.
Old 8 Dec 2016, 14:04 (Ref:3694808)   #144
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Not all Touring Cars had chassis numbers. The TWR cars had a TWR stamp, they weren't, as far as I know, registered. Likewise the CC Racing Capris that had CC numbers. So that's where an HTP may be useful. The HTP bar code is as good as any chassis number. Caveat being that someone less scrupulous would probably find a way around it.
I've been told by others (that have been asked to show documents by customs) that thrusting an HTP in the official's hands usually keeps then quiet. I've only had one awkward moment when had no documents, but luckily managed to blag my way through the request- helped by one official being a car nut!

Best however to have a quality copy to show, just in case.....

Anyway, we've a way to go before anything changes this side of the channel.....
Old 8 Dec 2016, 16:11 (Ref:3694835)   #145
Geraint Owen
Racer

Geraint Owen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
this is very good advice
works for touring cars

for single seaters you might still need a carnet as you wont get a V5C for a March F2 car.....

but sure, life will go on, and there will be ways

RuE
It works for single seaters too....if you can get a V5....which may or may not be too difficult. Is there any reason why, for example, you cant fit wings and lights to a 50s Cooper and road use it? If not, then you can register it, and just never fit the wings and lights to actually use it on the road

Just a thought
Old 8 Dec 2016, 17:20 (Ref:3694846)   #146
SamBinfield
Rookie

United Kingdom
Ludwigsburg, DE
SamBinfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On a lighter note, Jaguar have just sent out their provisional dates:

JAGUAR CLASSIC CHALLENGE 2017

28th - 30th April: Donington Historic Festival
1st - 2nd July: Brands Hatch Super Prix (GP Circuit)
28th - 30th July: Silverstone Classic
26th - 28th August: Oulton Park Gold Cup
15th - 17th September: Spa 6 Hours
Old 8 Dec 2016, 18:27 (Ref:3694854)   #147
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Thanks for posting the dates, Sam! Hard to believe the series has only been going 2 seasons, and good to hear it is continuing for a third.

Let's hope more XKs, Mk1s and Mk2s join the grids in 2017!
Old 9 Dec 2016, 00:58 (Ref:3694920)   #148
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
I remember rallying abroad in the pre-UK-in-EU days - sure there was a bit of paperwork with carnets, but in practice no real hassle.......in fact I remember jumping out of the tow-barge to present all the paperwork to Customs and being greeted with "All done then lads? - on you go then", without a thing being checked. We were really cheesed off as we could have brought back a lot more duty-free.....
Old 10 Dec 2016, 17:05 (Ref:3695162)   #149
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
The FJHRA have announced all the dates for their various championships-
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2017 FJHRA dates by Championship.pdf (212.2 KB, 20 views)
Old 12 Dec 2016, 09:55 (Ref:3695467)   #150
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Still waiting for Motor Racing Legends.