Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Club Level Single Seaters

View Poll Results: How popular is Vee
What the hell is Vee 14 19.44%
I race Vee 12 16.67%
I have raced Vee 9 12.50%
I want to race Vee 18 25.00%
I never have and never want to race Vee 19 26.39%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old 7 Mar 2003, 15:32 (Ref:527858)   #51
bradenc
Racer

United Kingdom
cambridgeshire
bradenc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll do my best, do you know whos car that is? Do you know if they would mind? Is it supefly, supertrick, super secret front end?
Old 7 Mar 2003, 22:44 (Ref:528207)   #52
FilW
Racer

FilW should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Carb question

At the end of testing last week I developed a misfire put down to water in the float chamber & jets..........how do I get rid of it. I've taken the tops off the float chambers, emptied the fuel out and blown it out with an airline but do I need to do anything else with the jets, do I/can they be taken out and cleaned. Cheers.
Old 10 Mar 2003, 09:46 (Ref:531081)   #53
av8rirl
Veteran

Ireland
Ireland
av8rirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes. You can just whip out the jets with a screwdriver. Blow them out with an air gun. You should do this before qualifying and race anyway.

Was it raining during testing? Were you running on all cylinders? Are you sure it was water?

How did things go yesterday?

bradenc: The car is normally driven by Neal Blunden. Not sure if he was out.
Old 10 Mar 2003, 10:42 (Ref:531125)   #54
bradenc
Racer

United Kingdom
cambridgeshire
Didn't see the car.

There were 3 cars with the new AHS engines in them. None qualified for the race. One dropped out and the others were too slow by far. Shame for the folks who've spent the money on them.

FilW got of to a slow start in his heat, but you could see the speed coning to him as the heat went on. He made up a lot of ground to have a good race with the more experienced 26 car ( a nice car ). Wel done FilW!
Old 11 Mar 2003, 00:26 (Ref:532242)   #55
FilW
Racer

It was a day of firsts for me!!! My first qualifying, with a chronic missfire, so pottered roud in third trying not to get in anyones way to qualify. First red flag which I saw, blue flags waved at me which I saw, first black and orange flag waved with my number which I didn't see First visit to the Clerk of the course for first official arse kicking just about cleared the missfire before the race so started from the back row. Made up 4 places from the start and maybe 1 more at Shaws but the car just didn't want to accelerate quickly enough from Shaws to Gerrards so after 2 laps I was last again. Managed to catch Pete Andrews with 2 to go and got past him at Shaws but he was quicker coming out of Gerrards and got along side coming into the Esses on the last lap. I ran a bit wide and lost the back and had my first spin Spent what seemed an age pirouetting on the grass waiting for the crunch and muttering the word b*ll*cks until I ended up facing the right way 1st gear back on the track and round to the chequered flag. I can't believe how much fun I had and I can't wait til Donnington in 3 weeks. See you there Braden?
Old 11 Mar 2003, 01:27 (Ref:532279)   #56
woodyracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
woodyracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
sounds fun
Old 11 Mar 2003, 12:57 (Ref:532594)   #57
bradenc
Racer

United Kingdom
cambridgeshire
I believe I may be racing with you there Fil. We could make the back of the grid very wide
Old 11 Mar 2003, 13:34 (Ref:532641)   #58
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by FilW
Spent what seemed an age pirouetting on the grass waiting for the crunch and muttering the word b*ll*cks until I ended up facing the right way 1st gear back on the track and round to the chequered flag.
Aha, so that was you!

Quote:
I can't believe how much fun I had
Two excellent Formula Vee races - as usual! What I like about Vee is that the racing is always close but clean - it's a pity some other single-seater formulae can't understand that motor racing is a non-contact sport.
Old 11 Mar 2003, 17:48 (Ref:532935)   #59
Steveo
Rookie

Steveo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by bradenc
Didn't see the car.

There were 3 cars with the new AHS engines in them. None qualified for the race. One dropped out and the others were too slow by far. Shame for the folks who've spent the money on them.

Hi Bradenc,

I’m the one of those folks with the empty pockets, the one that "dropped out". I will not comment specifically on the other two except to say that they too had differing issues. my problem was not with the engine but with the gearbox. On the out lap of qualifying I lost 3rd gear and had to complete qualifying by changing from second to fourth out of the hairpin! With this in mind I decided to skip the race and save the tyres and engine for a better day. AHS have done a great job for me in the past. I rented a car from Alan last year, my first full year in motor sport and was extremely pleased with the service and standard of the car. I think the reliability and competitive ness of the rent car reflected in my 13th place championship result and second place in the Vee Challenge.

I must say that all three cars are hot of the 'production line' and are bound to have teething problems. Allthough I am disapointed at not getting a race I did expect these initial problems and expect more but with an aim to have the car up and fully running in the next few races.

regards
SteveO
Old 11 Mar 2003, 18:31 (Ref:533007)   #60
av8rirl
Veteran

Ireland
Ireland
Mallory can't help new cars either, with the absence of a test session before the races.

Steve: what do you think of the new engine? Is it better or much better? A Jez beater?
Old 11 Mar 2003, 20:03 (Ref:533130)   #61
Steveo
Rookie

Hi Ivan,

Managed to get a test in at mallory last wednesday and engine was very strong. Its just a shame that the gearbox gave up this weekend especialy as its the only part that alan does not build.

Hows your design going, did you manage to find your CAD package.
Old 11 Mar 2003, 22:57 (Ref:533314)   #62
av8rirl
Veteran

Ireland
Ireland
Steveo: just PM'd you.
Old 12 Mar 2003, 11:36 (Ref:533693)   #63
bradenc
Racer

United Kingdom
cambridgeshire
Hi Steve, welcome to ten tenths.

I was the guy with Mark Dunham (in the Black baseball cap).

I hope you don't think I was gloating, I am just super intreaged.

I think most people in the paddock realise that Alan puts a decent engine together, which is perhaps why the new engine has received the hype.

To look at and listen too the car is a real piece of art, it was a dissapointment and a relief that they didn't go well.

I am looking forward to seeing them/you go well, especially as I will not be challenging for position at the front.

Is everything ok with noise levels now? Are you going testing before donnington?

I'll make sure I come over and introduce myself at donnington.

Of corse you dont have to tell me but is 9000rpm and 100bhp that I've heard under or over exagerated.

Best of luck at donnington (my first race), I (90) will keep an aye out for you in my mirrors (although I'll probably hear you coming first).
Old 12 Mar 2003, 13:26 (Ref:533773)   #64
av8rirl
Veteran

Ireland
Ireland
Bradenc: you should have higher aims. Of course you should aim to be at the front. And remember, when you are racing, take no prisoners. If you are running with other cars, you fully deserve to battle hard (and fair). If you do end up being lapped (which you aim not to), let the leaders thru (but not at the expense of loosing a position to whoever you are battling with).
Old 12 Mar 2003, 13:40 (Ref:533783)   #65
bradenc
Racer

United Kingdom
cambridgeshire
Thanks for the advice av, perhaps I should be aiming higher, but being my first race ever, in a car I don't own I am hoping to be able to finish and have a race along the way.
If I am able to get towards the front that would be great, I'd love nothing more.

By keeping my expectations low I shouldn't dissapoint myself.

Perhaps I should aim for a win and expect a finish? I might suprise myself and be a gifted racer!
Old 12 Mar 2003, 15:29 (Ref:533891)   #66
av8rirl
Veteran

Ireland
Ireland
Well you never know what'll happen. Is the race on the GP track (ie using the Melbourne Loop)? Testing is important. The Craner Curves are flat from the second lap (even in the wet you can put you're inside front on the grating thru the left hand part). its also very possible to go around the outside of cars thru the Craners. Donington is probably my favourite track.

Do you have any times from the car owner from Donington? Even though times will change from day to day, this gives you a marker of how you are doing.
Old 12 Mar 2003, 15:47 (Ref:533913)   #67
bradenc
Racer

United Kingdom
cambridgeshire
Doesn't look like we'll get a chance to test at donnington, I'll have my first outing in a test at mallory or snetterton.

I dont think we have data from donnington because the owner didn't do it last year. He doesn't like donnington, thats why im doing it but I can get data for other cars.

I hope theres a couple of practice sessions!
Old 12 Mar 2003, 16:23 (Ref:533956)   #68
av8rirl
Veteran

Ireland
Ireland
If you are not testing, you'll only get the chance to see the track in the single qualifying session. It is definitely worth trying to get there for the Thursday testing. A half day test will be a huge benefit especially on a track that is technical.

Mallory is not great to judge yourself on. Because its a low 50's track you might think that you are close to the pace with a lap that is 2secs off. Once you get somewhere that has a laptime double that of Mallory and is more technical, you find it hard to believe that you can be 4 secs and more off the pace. Teams in all classes appear to give drivers a first test at Mallory as times are usually close and the driver comes away thinking that they are the next Senna. Then the driver gets a shock when they go to a real track like Donington, Oulton, Silverstone, Brands, etc... You'll probably find the biggest qualifying differences at Cadwell Mountain track because of its very technical and precise nature.
Old 12 Mar 2003, 16:54 (Ref:533991)   #69
bradenc
Racer

United Kingdom
cambridgeshire
The major drawback with donnington is that the owner doesnt want to test there and a half day is £260, compared to a full day for £135 at snetterton. I know I will be at a disadvantage never having driven the track but I dont have much choice. I dont think I'll get to race cadwell, the owner likes it and went 4th there last year. Should get to pembrey, perhaps the the second donnington. Some others if the opportunity comes up.

Or I might do the first donnington, hate it and never want to get back in the car again. Or I might not

Last edited by bradenc; 12 Mar 2003 at 16:55.
Old 12 Mar 2003, 17:00 (Ref:533997)   #70
Sparrow
Rookie

Sparrow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have to agree with av there, i have raced vee's at snetterton and cadwell, and the difference was massive. Malory and Cadwell can not be compared
Old 12 Mar 2003, 17:02 (Ref:533998)   #71
Sparrow
Rookie

Sparrow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not like donnington? No way!! It's fantastic.
Old 12 Mar 2003, 17:04 (Ref:534005)   #72
Steveo
Rookie

Hi Bradenc,

Sorry if my post seemed a little strong, It was a bad day and with some of the protests put in from among the other teams you can imagine things being a little touchie at the moment. I Hope things go well for you in your test and I must say that from my little experience of FV your getting some sound advice from av. Look forward to seing you at donnington where like me you may find it to be your favourite track.
Old 13 Mar 2003, 23:50 (Ref:535576)   #73
FilW
Racer

Why is testing at Donnington so expensive?
Old 14 Mar 2003, 09:54 (Ref:535830)   #74
bradenc
Racer

United Kingdom
cambridgeshire
No need to apologise Steve, were the protests just on noise? I guess there really is no point in protesting when the cars aren't going at their best anyway.

I hope I do enjoy donnington, however it is now looking doubtful the car will be ready for that either. I may well end up renting a car from Alan before the year is out.
Old 14 Mar 2003, 09:57 (Ref:535835)   #75
av8rirl
Veteran

Ireland
Ireland
Probably down to requiring more marshals, medics, etc... And the fact that it is a pure class track! After that I don't know. But it is definitely worthwhile.

Last edited by av8rirl; 14 Mar 2003 at 09:57.