Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 29 Mar 2008, 12:52 (Ref:2164474)   #1
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Goodwood Revival 2007 on ITV4 today

Goodwood Revival 2007 is starting on ITV4 at 1pm today.
Old 29 Mar 2008, 13:11 (Ref:2164485)   #2
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Wonderful! I will miss it.
Old 29 Mar 2008, 14:19 (Ref:2164517)   #3
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bugger was watching the motogp.
Old 29 Mar 2008, 14:22 (Ref:2164519)   #4
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Itv4+1?
Old 29 Mar 2008, 15:54 (Ref:2164545)   #5
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey
jellison has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Cobblers - misssed it.

Still hacks me off why they do not allow the Griff's in the same race as the Cob's and the GTO's though. FIA or Lord March (Presume March) Think Jamie Boots car would edge the AC's.

Falce - yep still here
Old 29 Mar 2008, 16:16 (Ref:2164556)   #6
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It was a reasonable prog, managed to avoid going overboard on the "lifestyle" bits, but strewth wasn't there a lot of expensive damage? What with that and the Sports Car Masters at Thruxton over Easter, it's amazing there's any left racing!
Old 29 Mar 2008, 16:27 (Ref:2164560)   #7
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellison
Cobblers - misssed it.

Still hacks me off why they do not allow the Griff's in the same race as the Cob's and the GTO's though. FIA or Lord March (Presume March) Think Jamie Boots car would edge the AC's.

Falce - yep still here
I suppose as it is all by invatation if you haven't got "The right car" then you won't get in as we found out last year when we tried to get an American friend over to race.

Keep taking the chill pills jelly.
Old 29 Mar 2008, 16:32 (Ref:2164564)   #8
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Oh poo..........
Old 29 Mar 2008, 16:41 (Ref:2164571)   #9
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcemob
I suppose as it is all by invatation if you haven't got "The right car" then you won't get in as we found out last year when we tried to get an American friend over to race.

Keep taking the chill pills jelly.
The Griff were not even allowed in for years (think 07 was the first but still not allowed in with the other 65 and pre Sportcars they race in GTC Fia Pre 65 Euro Stuff!!)

Got VIP tickets 2 years back Bloody Mega. Champers and Canapes and to 3 course Diner, plus right by the Start finish straight.....
Old 29 Mar 2008, 17:08 (Ref:2164585)   #10
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
I missed it.Will probably miss it again this year,Its not real racing in all classes and they are not going to let Plastic cars in to win races against the expensive things that people go to see and for once I agree with them as since when are the TVR's the same spec as they raced in 60's and its a show not a race meeting that should be considered outside the normal Historic motor racing scene.Its about making the max amount of money and bums on seats.The public want to see Ferrari.s,Massers.Auto Unions,Old drivers their grandad told them about and drag in as many F1 people as possible

Its a superb business exercise and is a proven winner The rest of the old car brigade are expected and do pay second fiddle to it.Why do Goodwood dates clash with LMC,Why change date of See Red,Spa 6 hrs etc,because of Goodwood

Not all of us agree with the method as they have turned a sport of old,past it or never beens into a PRODUCT.It a thing that effects most SPORT these days in most cases to the detriment of the passtime

I await the usual replys and I can start on the other lot of those who should be obeyed
Old 29 Mar 2008, 17:21 (Ref:2164588)   #11
macca
Racer

macca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wonder why they never show single-seaters in the highlights?

Think there should have been a footnote at the end to say bike commentator Allan Robinson MBE had passed on since the programme was made......

Paul M
Old 29 Mar 2008, 17:50 (Ref:2164600)   #12
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston
I missed it.Will probably miss it again this year,Its not real racing in all classes and they are not going to let Plastic cars in to win races against the expensive things that people go to see and for once I agree with them as since when are the TVR's the same spec as they raced in 60's and its a show not a race meeting that should be considered outside the normal Historic motor racing scene.Its about making the max amount of money and bums on seats.The public want to see Ferrari.s,Massers.Auto Unions,Old drivers their grandad told them about and drag in as many F1 people as possible

Its a superb business exercise and is a proven winner The rest of the old car brigade are expected and do pay second fiddle to it.Why do Goodwood dates clash with LMC,Why change date of See Red,Spa 6 hrs etc,because of Goodwood

Not all of us agree with the method as they have turned a sport of old, past it or never beens into a PRODUCT.It a thing that effects most SPORT these days in most cases to the detriment of the passtime

I await the usual replys and I can start on the other lot of those who should be obeyed
None of the GTO's and Cobra's run in the spec the used to back in the mid 60's eveb though they have papers (this largely mean next to nothing and is really how much you can spend - some Cob's are so stiff now as to make the original seem like jellys). My post above states that the Griffs in FIA spec have the same engines as Cobras and are very similar in pace and with the same amount spent and same level of driver likely a bit faster.

I know because I have one (I am rebuilding to fia spec) and race against a few that are not fia but fairly close. Don'y tell me you are a Plastic snob!

Oooh and watch the 6 hours at SPA this year - the balance should be restored this year if Shipman's (+Hales) Griff400 stays the course. they are out to beat the lot and that include the Msutang from last year (that was blowing the GT40's and Cobra's et al away on the straights last yeat (no fia scrutineers here).

falce has heard all this b4!

(Check my webpage)

Last edited by jellison; 29 Mar 2008 at 18:00.
Old 29 Mar 2008, 18:09 (Ref:2164612)   #13
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellison
I know because I have one (I am rebuilding to fia spec) and race against a few that are not fia but fairly close. Don'y tell me you are a Plastic snob!

(Check my webpage)
Aha, now you have a Griff, welcome to the world of plastic snobs
Old 29 Mar 2008, 19:55 (Ref:2164667)   #14
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

I am not an anything snob other than an inverted one.The point was that Woodgood want the Posh cars to do well not a Blackpool rocket,its better for the punters

As for the Shipman /Hales car ,I sure it will be quick as was their Crossle with the engine variations!Was it 65,66 or 67 cant remember.

Cambridge Motorsport made some very quick TVR's and as one of their leaders said to us just before the Marathon,How can you come to a FIA race without a set of stamps.!Yep,They are quick but in the greater scheme of things does it matter.I am sure if Christian Glazel GT 40 goes back to 6 hrs with his mate Martin Stretton it will be close.Any lap time below 3.50 is questionable or is there still development in the cars!Whats the point

This continuing development is a waste of resources and money and will kill historic racing.its a pi....g contest.Equally and back to the Goodwood thing they want to recreate history and that includes the results.Now if Gerry M was still around he would get a start in a TVR
Old 29 Mar 2008, 20:25 (Ref:2164681)   #15
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey
Quote:
I am not an anything snob other than an inverted one.The point was that Woodgood want the Posh cars to do well not a Blackpool rocket,its better for the punters

As for the Shipman /Hales car ,I sure it will be quick as was their Crossle with the engine variations!Was it 65,66 or 67 cant remember.

Cambridge Motorsport made some very quick TVR's and as one of their leaders said to us just before the Marathon,How can you come to a FIA race without a set of stamps.!Yep,They are quick but in the greater scheme of things does it matter.I am sure if Christian Glazel GT 40 goes back to 6 hrs with his mate Martin Stretton it will be close.Any lap time below 3.50 is questionable or is there still development in the cars!Whats the point

This continuing development is a waste of resources and money and will kill historic racing.its a pi....g contest.Equally and back to the Goodwood thing they want to recreate history and that includes the results.Now if Gerry M was still around he would get a start in a TVR
Not really sure what you are saying here. What is WRONG with wanting to race these things?

DO YOU RACE - If not you have no Idea why the guys that race Historic's do do it.
Old 29 Mar 2008, 20:38 (Ref:2164692)   #16
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
I think he's saying that the people from Goodwood are the plastic snobs, or they are thinking of their bank balances and the fact that a Ferrari, Cobra or Etype will attract more punters than a TVR. More punters mean more wonga.
Old 29 Mar 2008, 20:47 (Ref:2164696)   #17
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

I have been known to play at old banger racing.If trying to make old machines go so much quicker than they did in period I reckon you are spinning your wheels.If you want to do that buy a new race car and develop that not mess with old bangers.Its not that important.I suppose the problem is that there is a History of the great and good of Historic Racing going into moderns and failing.Better to be a big Fish in a small pond! As we are talking about Spa in the past three years we have had five wins at the six hour meeting and pole twice in 6 hrs so I might have ideas out of step with the mainstream but am entitled ,as you are to build a go quicker TVR and yes I have raced.Over to you but we may disagree but thats the point of forums like this.
By the way and off the point and as you seem to have your fingure on the pulse do you have any contacts to get us cars for the team in Grids 5 and 6 at LMC?
Old 29 Mar 2008, 20:50 (Ref:2164699)   #18
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

What I am saying is that it is unlikely Goodwood want TVR's unless you can get Lewis Hamilton to drive one .Its about money!
Old 29 Mar 2008, 21:22 (Ref:2164725)   #19
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey
Quote:
I have been known to play at old banger racing.If trying to make old machines go so much quicker than they did in period I reckon you are spinning your wheels.If you want to do that buy a new race car and develop that not mess with old bangers.Its not that important.I suppose the problem is that there is a History of the great and good of Historic Racing going into moderns and failing.Better to be a big Fish in a small pond! As we are talking about Spa in the past three years we have had five wins at the six hour meeting and pole twice in 6 hrs so I might have ideas out of step with the mainstream but am entitled ,as you are to build a go quicker TVR and yes I have raced.Over to you but we may disagree but thats the point of forums like this.
By the way and off the point and as you seem to have your fingure on the pulse do you have any contacts to get us cars for the team in Grids 5 and 6 at LMC?
What is wrong with Spinning Wheels as you put it. Basically the same technology is availible now as then to modify period racers (maybe brakes and tyres being the exception if not doing pure fia). The Whole point of these things being to RACE and enjoy cars that you away liked as a kid. I have no desire to race modern Crap with wings and slicks or Single seaters that get faster each year and you have to get the newest model each year.

LMC No - not my scene (well I'd do it if money was no object) - had a mate with a fast TR3 (a few years back) asked to enter it (LMC). Was something like £3k entry and they assumed that the owner would be fine not racing it his self but pay for all the race costs to get it there and entry and have Johnny Herbert drive it instead of him!! - OF COURSE He Told Them Where They Could Stick it.

1 hour at SPA is about limit. 6 hours is over £2.5 just to enter!

I like modern plastic too but it has to have a Huge V8 in it.....

Of subject Gerry Marshall used to do a fair few Thoroughbred races (was never in the Top Class when he was racing but good to be reasonably close in much less powerful car).

What do you race?
Old 29 Mar 2008, 21:34 (Ref:2164731)   #20
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Gerry Marshall was probably one of the top five saloon car drivers in the last sixty years.
Herbert was much better off driving the D type at LMC!Cant see him in TR3.

Call a close on this one
Old 29 Mar 2008, 21:48 (Ref:2164743)   #21
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Couple of points,yes we did build a couple of quick Griff,s[Cam Mtr Sprt],but they would not be competitive now.
As for Jamies Griff,I very much doubt that it would stay with a Cobra with what is now apparently the norm for an "FIA" car,£40k's worth of Stateside Bent engine.To quote someone who knows the game,"If it's allowed to go on the way it is,Historic Motorsport will have dissapared up it's own **** in ten years".Goodwood is not exactly good for what we do.!!! Jellison,how does £43 grands worth of updates to a 355 Ferrari grab you? thats what it cost a friend of mine a couple of years ago,it covered Brakes,Exhaust,Aero Package!.

Last edited by terence; 29 Mar 2008 at 21:53.
Old 31 Mar 2008, 07:48 (Ref:2165866)   #22
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
Couple of points,yes we did build a couple of quick Griff,s[Cam Mtr Sprt],but they would not be competitive now.
As for Jamies Griff,I very much doubt that it would stay with a Cobra with what is now apparently the norm for an "FIA" car,£40k's worth of Stateside Bent engine.To quote someone who knows the game,"If it's allowed to go on the way it is,Historic Motorsport will have dissapared up it's own **** in ten years".Goodwood is not exactly good for what we do.!!! Jellison,how does £43 grands worth of updates to a 355 Ferrari grab you? thats what it cost a friend of mine a couple of years ago,it covered Brakes,Exhaust,Aero Package!.
Ouch that is alot just to make a Fezza stay on the pace in Gentlemans races - but if you can afford a New 430 or 360, most likley no big deal.

You are most likley right on the Older prepp'ed Griffs though. I had heard that a Full Knight 289 could be alot more than 43k though (just the engine - now that IS mad). The Shipman car or another taking shape near me (Johnson car) will most likely be about as fast as these things can go.
========================================================
Anyway - yep enough of this.

Did you see the Marshall race a few years back (just b4 he past away) in the upright old whale of a sallon again sthe much faster stuff - he was Meag in it, you can refresh me on what it was (Armstrong or Alvis or something with 4 doors).
Old 31 Mar 2008, 07:57 (Ref:2165873)   #23
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alvis "Grey Lady",the stories on the that "Special" were rife,allegedly under sized body,grossly over sized engine,the list was endless.
RE the Shipman Griff,they had a problem with the engine in qualifying for Spa 6hrs hours last year,so John phoned for a spare to be brought out,only for that to be faulty too.!

In my days of looking after the Joe Ward car at Spa,the car was knocking out consistent 3.03s,on histo's,it would just go under 3s on sticky tyres though.

Last edited by terence; 31 Mar 2008 at 08:00.
Old 31 Mar 2008, 08:06 (Ref:2165880)   #24
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
Alvis "Grey Lady",the stories on the that "Special" were rife,allegedly under sized body,grossly over sized engine,the list was endless.
RE the Shipman Griff,they had a problem with the engine in qualifying for Spa 6hrs hours last year,so John phoned for a spare to be brought out,only for that to be faulty too.!

In my days of looking after the Joe Ward car at Spa,the car was knocking out consistent 3.03s,on histo's,it would just go under 3s on sticky tyres though.
AHA..... Good stuff. It was Unbeleivably Quick, did kind of think How (Even can GM get that thing to do that).

OT my car (Griff 200-5-017) will most likely not have as much power as SHipman and will be built to get papers but then mostly raced in the UK in the Thoroughbreds (with maybe the odd SPA 1 hour), will take off the dodgy front hubs and fit 310mm Vents and AP's and run in Yokos (but on 7" 225's).

Maybe we can exchange emails and I could pick your brain on the build when we get our finger out and really get stuck into the build (too much other stuff backed up first!) - soon though.
Old 31 Mar 2008, 08:58 (Ref:2165922)   #25
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
No problem,you have mail!.