Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 17 Sep 2014, 15:30 (Ref:3454359)   #1
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
did anyone attend the Bonhams auction at Goodwood?

Although the catalogue was impressively thick, looking at the results it seems that a number of cars did not sell.. is that correct or have I misread the results?

I am particularly interested in the E Types and the 120's they had in the auction. I hasten to add it is curiosity only I am not in the market!
Old 17 Sep 2014, 16:46 (Ref:3454382)   #2
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
don't know specifically about the Jags but I had one eye on it online for an hour or so and yes a few didn't sell. 'not quite enough, see me afterwards'...
Old 17 Sep 2014, 17:09 (Ref:3454388)   #3
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/219...y=results&m0=0
Old 17 Sep 2014, 19:13 (Ref:3454435)   #4
Brian A
Racer

England
Sunny West Sussex
Brian A should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble View Post
Although the catalogue was impressively thick, looking at the results it seems that a number of cars did not sell.. is that correct or have I misread the results?

When I collected my modest purchase on Monday morning, I spoke with Tim Schofield of Bonhams who was happy with the result. Apparently the auction netted sales of £16 million, so some must have sold well.

I saw my old XK140 roadster go through at £112K plus premium, but it was one of only 73 RHD cars produced and had been fully restored during my ownership. The seller had done virtually no miles since owning it - the seats looked as though they'd never been sat on!
Old 17 Sep 2014, 20:59 (Ref:3454470)   #5
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
The Pre War cars did very well!
Old 17 Sep 2014, 21:55 (Ref:3454491)   #6
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I was interested in the Chenard Walcker until it turned out that the catalogue description was completely wrong

it was not a 3 litre Le Mans but a later 2 litre made to look like the former

totally unnecessary as reading the makers plate on the dashboard giving the type as "T3"
that and about 30 seconds googling would have told it

The Aston Inter went for a very reasonable price, good buy that
If You like Inters...

Rudolf
Old 17 Sep 2014, 22:11 (Ref:3454496)   #7
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
The Lagonda and OM prices were amazing.

The Logonda had body changes, shortened, lengthened etc and still made million and a half
Old 18 Sep 2014, 08:46 (Ref:3454602)   #8
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Any prewar Aston under £100K would seem to represent relatively good value these days and it is an early one.
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 18 Sep 2014, 11:57 (Ref:3454644)   #9
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
My 'inflation detectors' obviously need recalibrating as everything seems to be getting bonkers expensive.

It'll be interesting to see what happens in ten years or so when one generation bows out of the scene and the next takes over . . .or not. will the younger generation be interested and/or prepared to invest in such expensive 'old stuff'
Old 18 Sep 2014, 12:08 (Ref:3454645)   #10
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Joe I think the current favoured cars will continue to remain in demand. Pre war cars are not being bought by soley by octogenarians..

there is an argument to say that more modern cars lack the romance and rarity of the older ones so will be unlikely to achieve the same rarified values.

I am more intrigued by the iconic cars that have been (in relative terms) left behind.
Old 18 Sep 2014, 12:14 (Ref:3454647)   #11
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
trouble with pre war stuff is it mostly just gets looked at, the younger generation can't fit in them!
Personally the 50's stuff is a bit of a squeeze and some 60's stuff was clearly designed for smoking toddlers from vertically challenged stock!
Old 18 Sep 2014, 12:19 (Ref:3454649)   #12
Brian A
Racer

England
Sunny West Sussex
Brian A should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
trouble with pre war stuff is it mostly just gets looked at, the younger generation can't fit in them!
Personally the 50's stuff is a bit of a squeeze and some 60's stuff was clearly designed for smoking toddlers from vertically challenged stock!

Are you talking about me again........

But I agree, I fit nicely into my SS100, but anyone over 5'7" really struggles. The XK120 is almost as bad.
Old 18 Sep 2014, 12:30 (Ref:3454653)   #13
simon drabble
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian A View Post
Are you talking about me again........

But I agree, I fit nicely into my SS100, but anyone over 5'7" really struggles. The XK120 is almost as bad.
thankfully being more compact I fit XK120's perfectly! Just have to cobble together the budget to buy one! And Brian I am very jealous of you having an SS100. Possibly one of the most hadsome cars every made IMHO (after the SS1 Airline)
Old 18 Sep 2014, 15:02 (Ref:3454696)   #14
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Riley,Talbot and Bentley can all accommodate the larger person.
Pre War Jags,Pretty but not that great car.
Old 18 Sep 2014, 15:27 (Ref:3454703)   #15
simon drabble
Veteran

all deeply ironic given the racing side was managed in the 40's/50's by Lofty England!
Old 18 Sep 2014, 16:41 (Ref:3454712)   #16
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
I can get in a Talbot John! I really struggled with the Rileys though, the MPH was too small.