Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 18 Dec 2015, 14:22 (Ref:3598591)   #51
Heightswitch
Racer

England
Oop Norf
Heightswitch should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHeightswitch should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
I have seen before an Advert for a TVR Vixen, which alerted me as an ex owner . . . it was the cars chassis and panel work, and some running gear, less paperwork & ID . Which suggested a new modern race car was being prepared with ID and the old stuff flogged off to create an identity free, but genuine car . . . .
regrettably most of the time original 1800s, Vixen S1's are gutted for their identities to become facsimile Griffs.

I know of 1 car being built in the states where owner has traced its true ID across all states..he wants to re-build it on its original identity..the car is racing as a 400 griff in UK and Europe!! That's going to be an interesting one...

Hence today the cars are bought for the identities....there is enough money in it at todays prices..

Again if HTP was being utilised correctly then this wouldn't be an issue..There can be harmony with both old and replicas surely??
Old 18 Dec 2015, 14:23 (Ref:3598592)   #52
Heightswitch
Racer

England
Oop Norf
Heightswitch should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHeightswitch should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosehead View Post
Huh, we all know Goodwood cars are not AppK so you stand a decent chance

N.
Old 18 Dec 2015, 19:16 (Ref:3598646)   #53
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
My (limited) experience of TVR's is that like most 60's GRP low volume cars, is they're **** box lash ups that handle like erect cranes/shopping trollies. The Griffiths only saving grace for racing was a ridiculously over powered engine. The fact they were modified radically from day 1 should be no surprise to anyone.

The fact that you can legitimately build one that never went anywhere near Blackpool and bears no resemblance to a product of TVR, and go and race it competitively with Fia Historic approval speaks volumes about the state of racing old style cars right now.

The same can be said for most 'popular' marques, from Minis to Falcons, MGB's to E types. . . anything with a Lotus badge on it etc etc etc.

There are numerous stories of multiple cars with the same identity on different continents as well . . . .
Old 18 Dec 2015, 19:34 (Ref:3598650)   #54
Heightswitch
Racer

England
Oop Norf
Quote:
My (limited) experience of TVR's is that like most 60's GRP low volume cars, is they're **** box lash ups that handle like erect cranes/shopping trollies. The Griffiths only saving grace for racing was a ridiculously over powered engine. The fact they were modified radically from day 1 should be no surprise to anyone.

The fact that you can legitimately build one that never went anywhere near Blackpool and bears no resemblance to a product of TVR, and go and race it competitively with Fia Historic approval speaks volumes about the state of racing old style cars right now.

The same can be said for most 'popular' marques, from Minis to Falcons, MGB's to E types. . . anything with a Lotus badge on it etc etc etc.

There are numerous stories of multiple cars with the same identity on different continents as well . . . .
Fighting Talk Zef
N.

I love my little shitbox with its fully independent suspension, multi tubular chassis and over powered boat anchor. It handles pretty well when corner weighted for me
N.
Old 18 Dec 2015, 22:11 (Ref:3598670)   #55
Thurner_fan
Rookie

Thurner_fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1FuGWHIy4E4

Amazing what some people can do with just a GRP lash up ...
Old 18 Dec 2015, 22:26 (Ref:3598673)   #56
Heightswitch
Racer

England
Oop Norf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurner_fan View Post
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1FuGWHIy4E4

Amazing what some people can do with just a GRP lash up ...
Very impressive video. he knows his way round there!!
N
Old 19 Dec 2015, 07:36 (Ref:3598716)   #57
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
don,t get me wrong, I love them too, and have had more than my fair share and still have some, but let's face it, they're not brilliant out of the box.

I
Old 19 Dec 2015, 08:39 (Ref:3598722)   #58
Thurner_fan
Rookie

We're straying way off-topic here, but ....

Quote:
... let's face it, they're not brilliant out of the box.
Perhaps fair comment in relation to the Griffith, when looking back at results in period.

However, aside from the very public and poor Le Mans performance, it could be argued that the Grantura was a reasonably competitive tool in 1962 and 1963, at least until the Elan came along. The Mk3's fully independent suspension, relatively light weight and homologated crossflow head made it quite useful, certainly compared to, for example, the MGB.

Mark Donohue achieved a string of successes in the US in '62 and Tommy Entwistle was successful in UK club racing during the '63 to '65 period. These were cars that had a degree of factory support and were as 'stock' as any other race versions of road cars. So, I would argue that the Grantura was a modest production-based race car that was not too bad 'out of the box' in period.

TF

Last edited by Thurner_fan; 19 Dec 2015 at 08:45.
Old 19 Dec 2015, 09:22 (Ref:3598730)   #59
Heightswitch
Racer

England
Oop Norf
Quote:

Perhaps fair comment in relation to the Griffith, when looking back at results in period.

However, aside from the very public and poor Le Mans performance, it could be argued that the Grantura was a reasonably competitive tool in 1962 and 1963, at least until the Elan came along. The Mk3's fully independent suspension, relatively light weight and homologated crossflow head made it quite useful, certainly compared to, for example, the MGB.

Mark Donohue achieved a string of successes in the US in '62 and Tommy Entwistle was successful in UK club racing during the '63 to '65 period. These were cars that had a degree of factory support and were as 'stock' as any other race versions of road cars. So, I would argue that the Grantura was a modest production-based race car that was not too bad 'out of the box' in period.

TF
As an aside..We have just lost Tommy to this world…I think probably the oldest competing driver just before he hung up his boots.
N.
Old 19 Dec 2015, 09:59 (Ref:3598735)   #60
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
TF

I shouldn't worry, the thread 'lost the plot' quite a while back!
Old 19 Dec 2015, 10:06 (Ref:3598737)   #61
Thurner_fan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heightswitch View Post
As an aside..We have just lost Tommy to this world…I think probably the oldest competing driver just before he hung up his boots.
N.
Yes, a sad loss. A racer until the end.
Old 19 Dec 2015, 14:59 (Ref:3598788)   #62
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
I shouldn't worry, the thread 'lost the plot' quite a while back!
Most do on the first page!

BoT . . . having downloaded the HTP renewal/application forms from the MSA webite there are transfer docs included, as well as 3rd part authorisation documents, so it would appear Its not only expected to prepare a car with papers and then sell it, but also, get someone else to do it. Further proof on an industry as opposed to an enthusiasts hobby.

Last edited by zefarelly; 19 Dec 2015 at 15:00. Reason: inability to spell and read before posting, as usual.
Old 19 Dec 2015, 16:27 (Ref:3598799)   #63
Duddha
Racer

United Nations
Geneva, Switzerland
Duddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Most do on the first page!

BoT . . . having downloaded the HTP renewal/application forms from the MSA webite there are transfer docs included, as well as 3rd part authorisation documents, so it would appear Its not only expected to prepare a car with papers and then sell it, but also, get someone else to do it. Further proof on an industry as opposed to an enthusiasts hobby.
+1

And maybe the reason why so many people are applying for HTPs with "sort of" historic cars, missing the knowledge and not having the time being bothered of documenting what they claim is period.......
Old 22 Dec 2015, 23:20 (Ref:3599564)   #64
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddha View Post
+1

And maybe the reason why so many people are applying for HTPs with "sort of" historic cars, missing the knowledge and not having the time being bothered of documenting what they claim is period.......
and if Heightswitch's nasturtiums are correct...its all just a money-grabbing strategy. If that is proved to be the case, then maybe Sepp Blatter would be more appropriate as El Presidente de FIA? I believe he is looking for a job...
Old 23 Dec 2015, 09:07 (Ref:3599615)   #65
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
I may be in a minority, but its hardly money grabbing, in a 'lets rip everyone off and make a load of profit' There are easier ways of ripping people off in motorsport, it would appear.

MSA £340 . . . . not sure exactly what for, a sticker and a few letters, maybe a bit Over the necessary rate. Their involvement in the whole process seems minimal other than being a middle man.

Inspectors fees seem entirely reasonable . . . when you consider the time . . . I don't even have to fill in the forms and take photo's this time.

then the FiA fee, again, not extortionate, nor cheap. Louis need embroidered clothing so I can see where it all goes

At the end of the day I'm doing it (again) because it gives me the ability to pick and choose some nice events on the continent and at home. It maximises the usability of the car.

As a minor aside, as my Cortina is a keeper (although am tempted to sell it on occaision!) the market suggests a 'real' car in International Fia specification is a better investment than any one individuals idea of an old race car to their or any local 'club' specification (one trick pony springs to mind here) . . . therefore it hopefully, is at least worth the sum of its parts. thereby protecting my investment in it. I don't have the kind of pocket money to burn on mere follies like Goodwood specials!
Old 23 Dec 2015, 16:16 (Ref:3599702)   #66
Geraint Owen
Racer

Geraint Owen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just as a further follow up.......I got another email from the MSA today

They have revised what they told me earlier, and you guessed it, there is now an MSA fee of £85 plus the inspection fee for transferring the papers and issuing a bar code.

I guess someone has to pay for all the young driver promotion jollies that the MSA fund. It would be nice to have a detailed breakdown of how they spend their, sorry, yours and my, money
Old 9 Jun 2017, 16:05 (Ref:3739725)   #67
Duun
Rookie

Duun should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TVR grosser preis von tirol 1965

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddha View Post
Both photos are from period and verified International Events.

EHM Paul car, Brands Hatch 1965, REDEX Trophy.

Other one - Grosser Preis Von Tirol, Austria, 1965.
Hi Duddha
You were so kind to show the FIA 1965 Calender where the EHM Paul Car was on the particiption list.
Could you bring up the page from the FIA Calender where The Other One
is on the list to the Grosser Preis Von Tirol 1965 ?

I am trying hard to find dokumentation for the TVR Griffith 200 participation in standard configuration.

regards Duun
Old 13 Jun 2017, 10:18 (Ref:3740824)   #68
Duddha
Racer

United Nations
Geneva, Switzerland
Duddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Prix du Tyrol is listed on 1965 FIA International Calendar for GT cars on 10 of October 1965. Can't put more.