Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 3 Aug 2006, 09:49 (Ref:1671933)   #26
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatters
I can still see them racing at the Creek for years to come.
How can you still see them racing at the Creek if they aren't even racing there now?
Old 3 Aug 2006, 10:31 (Ref:1671965)   #27
TCR-028
Racer

TCR-028 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
Bring it on!! I can't believe the negative comments.. This is fantastic for Australain motorsport..
Yeah, of course it is... If your idea of "Australian Motorsport" starts and finishes with V8 Supercars that is...

I wonder where all the future "V8 Supercar" racers will come from once they effectively kill off all Australian tracks where club and state levels racers currently play in the search of "entertainment"...

******s. No wonder i don't bother attending meetings anymore. I'll watch it on TV rather than put money in AVESCO's pockets...
Old 3 Aug 2006, 10:50 (Ref:1671994)   #28
ford boy
Veteran

ford boy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete55
The circuit looks about as exciting as watching grass grow.
Exactly my thought to pete, looks very ordinary!
Old 3 Aug 2006, 11:01 (Ref:1672009)   #29
Spunky
Racer

Spunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
V8 Supercars Australia has confirmed as accurate a story that appeared in today's Sydney Daily Telegraph claiming that a much vaunted street race through the Homebush precinct of Sydney Olympic Park is just Government approval away from happening next year.

An all-encompassing proposal that has been 12 months in the making, including extensive engineering, environmental and economic impact studies, has been given to the New South Wales government for final approval.

The Daily Telegraph reported that V8 Supercars Australia has the support of New South Wales Premier Morris Iemma who will now personally take the proposal to his Government.

"We think the Government is very keen," V8 Supercars Australia Chairman Tony Cochrane said today.

"There is clearly a lot of interest from the Premier. Sydney is one of the great cities of the world but it has never had one of the great street races. Where in the world would you want to hold a street race? Sydney is in absolute pole position for an event of this magnitude.

"We had planned not to make this announcement for a month or so but can not deny what appeared in today's paper. We sincerely hope the Government will give us what is now final approval.

"Sydney is such a huge market for us but due to the nature of motor racing we have never had a facility like the one Homebush will offer. And this precinct is crying out for major international event which clearly we can provide.

"There are so few opportunities for any city, state or country to host truly international events such as this. Now Sydney has the chance."
The race is likely to be held towards the end of next year, Government approval pending. A date, which is yet to be released, has been lodged with the international governing body of motorsport the FIA.

The fully costed Homebush plan took more than 12 months to put together at a cost of more than $300,000 to V8 Supercars Australia and has been prepared with the full input from the Sydney Olympic Park Authority (SOPA).
It outlines the circuit that will run around the Sydney Showground, Stadium Australia and the Sydney Superdrome. The track will have a number of racing variations and provide what will arguably be the best spectator facilities in the country.

The facility has the infrastructure and public transport networks to cater for a crowd that is expected to be more than 200,000 and as many as 300,000 once the event becomes established.

The race will carry its own unique identity with a format not used by any other event in the V8 Supercar Championship Series. V8 Supercars Australia will work with the New South Wales Government to decide on this format, event date and so on.
It is hoped that during the event weekend a major football match may be played at Stadium Australia on the Saturday night to add to the carnival atmosphere. Night-time concerts and other activities may also be part of the action.

For a number of years V8 Supercars Australia has held the view that Homebush has the potential to provide the backdrop to what would be one of Australia's largest sporting events - a street race around the precinct.

It is forecast the event would generate in excess of $20 million each year for the New South Wales economy. The Clipsal 500 in Adelaide attracts an impact of $30 million while the Lexmark Indy 300 on the Gold Coast last year injected $60 million into the Queensland economy.

The figures used for the economic modelling of the Sydney event have been extremely conservative.

From the research conducted a Homebush race is anticipated to draw some 13,000 interstate visitors and up to 4000 people from overseas in the first year.
Old 3 Aug 2006, 11:35 (Ref:1672030)   #30
The Hrt Kid
Racer

The Hrt Kid should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the footy idea is a a good idea. Probably nrl, which im not a huge fan of, but they could have ford supports v holden supporters an all stars game. So instead of picking players from qld and nsw you could have something similar to city country.
Old 3 Aug 2006, 11:48 (Ref:1672043)   #31
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sounds a bit like TC is putting a bit of pressure on the Premier to me.
Old 3 Aug 2006, 12:00 (Ref:1672056)   #32
AussieV8
Veteran

Australia
Orange, NSW Australia
AussieV8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We got the transport down pat for the Olympic's so this will be a walk in the park...but the bad part is I was one of the Supervisors so looks like I might be workin...
Old 3 Aug 2006, 12:09 (Ref:1672069)   #33
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVO
Best news I've had all year! ! !
For me, its really sad.

Cant really add to much to it, just a sad day.
Old 3 Aug 2006, 13:03 (Ref:1672108)   #34
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I can't wait for it. I've always wanted to go to a street race, and now I will (hopefully) be able to!
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 3 Aug 2006, 13:18 (Ref:1672128)   #35
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You really want to go to a street race where you get to see one corner or one straight as oppossed to Oran Park where you can see 90% of the track.
Old 3 Aug 2006, 13:42 (Ref:1672141)   #36
alfacors
Veteran

alfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridalfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great, I foresee my tax dollars going towards a racetrack where the view is limited to mayube 2 corners at best, and gets used once a year. I'd rather have my taxes go towards some new dunnies and food at Oran - at least I can race there.

And having worked in Olympic Park over the last 18months, those streets are going to take some major re-working to come up to a satisfactory level for racing IMO.
Old 3 Aug 2006, 13:48 (Ref:1672149)   #37
emjaya
Racer

Aland Islands
in a house
emjaya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The race will carry its own unique identity with a format not used by any other event in the V8 Supercar Championship Series. V8 Supercars Australia will work with the New South Wales Government to decide on this format, event date and so on.
I can't wait to see what the politicians think up to give it "it's own unique identity".

Old 3 Aug 2006, 16:29 (Ref:1672276)   #38
STEVO
Veteran

STEVO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T.
For me, its really sad.

Cant really add to much to it, just a sad day.

Why???

Obviously you don't live in Sydney then?

We've got nothing else!!!

Oran Park will close in a few years (which I'm sure you'll blame Cochrane for) and they don't use Eastern Creek?

Where's the drama? Sydney/NSW fans get to see V8s. It's win-win.

Of course I loved sitting at the dog-leg at Oran Park but the useless NSW Govt is re-developing that land. What else do Sydney V8 fans have then?

Why deny us this too? What an insane post? If we can get Eastern Creek back, which I hope because I love that venue, then maybe we'll still have 2 rounds for Sydney once Oran Park closes.

What are the alternatives? What on earth makes you sad about Sydney fans getting V8s half the amount of time that the VIC fans do?

Would you have liked AVESCO to have built a new permanent track somewhere for all forms of motorsport to enjoy? Point is, once Oran closes down we'll still have The Creek for other categories.

I've not agreed with Cochrane on most things but explain to me the alternatives for the Sydney market and what has made you so vewwy sad
Old 3 Aug 2006, 22:28 (Ref:1672648)   #39
Aquarius
Racer

Aquarius should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
Bring it on!! I can't believe the negative comments.. This is fantastic for Australain motorsport..
This is fantastic for Tony Cochrane and all the shareholders.
Old 3 Aug 2006, 22:31 (Ref:1672650)   #40
Aquarius
Racer

Aquarius should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunky
"We think the Government is very keen," V8 Supercars Australia Chairman Tony Cochrane said today.
WE THINK!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunky
From the research conducted a Homebush race is anticipated to draw some 13,000 interstate visitors and up to 4000 people from overseas in the first year.
and none from NSW -
Old 3 Aug 2006, 23:32 (Ref:1672687)   #41
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by emjaya
I can't wait to see what the politicians think up to give it "it's own unique identity".

Well just look at the "paperclip"

I think people are excited because the Sydney city has never had a street race. Its easy to lose sight of the bigger picture. One track - Eastern Creek - is not enough to sustain motorsport in NSW. (Wakefield doesn't count.)
Old 4 Aug 2006, 00:26 (Ref:1672708)   #42
rustyinsthoz
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
rustyinsthoz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Also, expect to pay $150 for a 2 day general admission ticket that will let you see 100 meters of track at the most and will allow you into only 40% of the track.
Old 4 Aug 2006, 00:41 (Ref:1672715)   #43
BJAY
Racer

Australia
Canberra, Australia
BJAY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyinsthoz
Also, expect to pay $150 for a 2 day general admission ticket that will let you see 100 meters of track at the most and will allow you into only 40% of the track.
I don't hear the people who go to Surfers or Adelaide complain about it. Any source for the $150 price??
Old 4 Aug 2006, 00:47 (Ref:1672718)   #44
Silver 3
Veteran

Australia
Sovereign Island
Silver 3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I cannot believe some of you are so Sydney -centric that you fail to mention that Bathurst is in NSW! It also ought to be noted that those that live north of the creek(the one with the harbour brige over it) take as long to get to Oran Park or Eastern Creek as those on the other side of town take to get to Bathurst . Where are some of your brains when posting????
Old 4 Aug 2006, 02:18 (Ref:1672742)   #45
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver 3
It also ought to be noted that those that live north of the creek(the one with the harbour brige over it) take as long to get to Oran Park or Eastern Creek as those on the other side of town take to get to Bathurst . Where are some of your brains when posting????
Not since they built the M7(??) Tollway Silver. On paper that tollway has made it a lot easier to get around Sydneys outer suburbs.
Old 4 Aug 2006, 02:57 (Ref:1672749)   #46
rustyinsthoz
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
rustyinsthoz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJAY
I don't hear the people who go to Surfers or Adelaide complain about it. Any source for the $150 price??
Well, it was a $110 For a 2 day general admission pass for Adelaide in 06 probably $120 in 07. Add Sydney is generally more expensive for everything and the fact it will not be until held next year, $150 will be at the lower end of the price scale.
Old 4 Aug 2006, 03:51 (Ref:1672758)   #47
Alan 52
Racer

Alan 52 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Homebush is most likely NOT ON!Yesterday's Telegragh story appears to be a beat up by one of The Artist's favourite media puppets Ray Kerschler.The Herald today reports that The Artist's proposal has been put to the state government but quotes the Premier as saying he will not allow any tax payer exposure.Given that the Clipsal 500 takes nearly $20 million a year to run and that the tax payer is liable for all losses the chance of no exposure is zero.As I stated a few months ago when beginning the thread Tony's Homebush Dream Surfaces Again thread street races are an economic disaster for governments and no amount of faulty economic modelling showing economic benefit can justify the huge cost particularly if there is no massive international exposure.Maybe The Artist got Ray The Puppet to crank this one up to distract/placate Ford,Holden and all the other major sponsors incensed at the fiasco of their non appearance at the Grand Prix.
Old 4 Aug 2006, 04:02 (Ref:1672760)   #48
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan 52
Homebush is most likely NOT ON!Yesterday's Telegragh story appears to be a beat up by one of The Artist's favourite media puppets Ray Kerschler.The Herald today reports that The Artist's proposal has been put to the state government but quotes the Premier as saying he will not allow any tax payer exposure.Given that the Clipsal 500 takes nearly $20 million a year to run and that the tax payer is liable for all losses the chance of no exposure is zero.As I stated a few months ago when beginning the thread Tony's Homebush Dream Surfaces Again thread street races are an economic disaster for governments and no amount of faulty economic modelling showing economic benefit can justify the huge cost particularly if there is no massive international exposure.Maybe The Artist got Ray The Puppet to crank this one up to distract/placate Ford,Holden and all the other major sponsors incensed at the fiasco of their non appearance at the Grand Prix.
Ray Kershler broke the story approx 1 month before VESA were going to put out a press release.

You would suspect the info was leaked from the State Gov as they are known leakers...the leak did not come from VESA.

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 4 Aug 2006, 04:13 (Ref:1672762)   #49
Head Rev
Racer

Australia
Australia
Head Rev should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyinsthoz
Well, it was a $110 For a 2 day general admission pass for Adelaide in 06 probably $120 in 07. Add Sydney is generally more expensive for everything and the fact it will not be until held next year, $150 will be at the lower end of the price scale.
2007 Clipsal prices show $129.00 for a 4 general admission DAY PASS. - divide that x 4 =$32.25 per day. Where did you buy your 2 days pass from??
Old 4 Aug 2006, 04:26 (Ref:1672767)   #50
Head Rev
Racer

Australia
Australia
Head Rev should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan 52
So why do Queensland, Vic. & SA govs put on these events if they only lose money? I'm not into economics or $ figures, but have a look at the Clipsal 500 site and the financial statement for 04-05. and let me know what it says. I think the bottom line is that they made a profit but those with more economic knowledge than me can decifer the figures and come up with some answers. Just interested thats all.