Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 26 Aug 2006, 08:48 (Ref:1691940)   #1
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Catalina Park Today

My new found interest in the Tasman Series of the '60s and '70s sent me to Catalina Park today to see the remnants of what would have once been a daunting and challenging circuit. Before I show you the photos, here's a little bit of background.

Catalina Park is located in Katoomba, NSW about 80 kilometres from Sydney. The tight and twisty 2.1 kilometre layout features tight turns, followed by long straights with plenty of hilly drops and climbs. Top speeds probably featured somewhere in the 180 -200 km/h mark, but I'm not entirely sure.

Today Catalina still exists, but as a road overgrown with grass, surrounded by fences, overhanging trees and the local swimming complex. Part of the road has fallen away due to water seepage, and is fenced off. Whether or not they plan to replace the road is unknown to me.

Where the paddock once stood now stands only a toilet block, which appears to have been built after the circuit was built. The area is now a dog excercise area, where happy mutts are allowed to roam without a leash. If you are game enough to challenge the long arm of the law there is a way to sneak in to the track and burn some rubber around the track.

So here it is, the once great Catalina Park Circuit.
Picture 1: The Start/Finish Line.

Picture 2: The Entrance To Dunlop Corner.

Picture 3: The Circuit Dips Before It Approaches Craven A Corner.

Picture 4: Looks Can Be Deceiving...

Picture 5: Heading Through Castrol Curve...

Picture 6: ...Straight into Bosch Corner.

Picture 7: Energol Corner And The 'Tunnel Of Love'.

Picture 8: Onto The Main Straight To Finish A Lap Of Catalina Park.

So that's Catalina Park! I have plenty more pictures plus some 'signs' of times gone by, PM me if you want any more information!

Last edited by Chatters; 26 Aug 2006 at 08:50.
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 26 Aug 2006, 09:31 (Ref:1691955)   #2
Senna05
Veteran

Australia
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Senna05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice pics, Chatters!!!

If i won a few mill on powerball, Catalina would be on my purchase list, for sure! After seeing some of the uncle's tapes form the era, I am certain the track would still provide some AWESOME racing accross the categories!
Old 26 Aug 2006, 12:25 (Ref:1692747)   #3
Wazzi
Rookie

Australia
Bilpin NSW
Wazzi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Where about in Katoomba is Catalina Pk? What Rd? I would love to go and have a look
Old 26 Aug 2006, 12:33 (Ref:1692756)   #4
Monaro
Racer

Australia
Bathurst
Monaro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Apart from a few weeds it looks the same as last time I drove there.We could only use it as a one lane track.You drove down the middle of the track go off line and the leaves and moss offered no grip.
Old 26 Aug 2006, 13:19 (Ref:1692780)   #5
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wazzi, in answer to your question to get to Catalina All you have to do is find the Aquatic Centre, it is right behind that. Literally.

Monaro when you last visited was the track falling away at Castrol Curve?
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 26 Aug 2006, 17:03 (Ref:1692907)   #6
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did you walk the rallycross track?
Old 26 Aug 2006, 23:43 (Ref:1693166)   #7
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks chatters for making the effort to go out there and get some pictures.

It appears as though the pavement is still in good condition. It seems you could restore the place if you really wanted to.

I'll have a look when I am next in Australia.
Old 27 Aug 2006, 01:21 (Ref:1693204)   #8
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
racer69 I didn't get much of a chance to walk the rallycross track, mainly because it is getting so overgrown I couldn't see the path through the trees and shrubs.
Old 27 Aug 2006, 02:44 (Ref:1693241)   #9
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah she's abit hard to follow ( the path that roughly follows the rallycross track). There are still the odd remnants of the dirt circuit in the middle, the odd guardrail and tyre stack.

If you look at roughly the middle of Picture 1, you can see where the rallycross track left the main circuit, and on Picture 6 you can clearly see where the rallycross track rejoined the main circuit.

Some nice pictures Chatters, though one note, i see you mention your interest in the Tasman Series brought you to Catalina Park, whilst the track is featured on the Tasman website, Catalina never actually hosted a Tasman event.

A pity the day you went there wasn't a function on. Sometimes they open up the access gate to allow people to use the old paddock area for parking, thats how i snuck on for a lap a few months back Totally luck of the draw though

Last edited by racer69; 27 Aug 2006 at 02:46.
Old 27 Aug 2006, 04:06 (Ref:1693253)   #10
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
No I didn't think it held a Tasman race... But cars of that equivalent would've once raced around there, that's good enough for me .

Edit: Here's a picture with a better shot of the entrance to the rallycross track.

Last edited by Chatters; 27 Aug 2006 at 04:10.
Old 27 Aug 2006, 08:05 (Ref:1693319)   #11
Monaro
Racer

Australia
Bathurst
Monaro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatters
Wazzi, in answer to your question to get to Catalina All you have to do is find the Aquatic Centre, it is right behind that. Literally.

Monaro when you last visited was the track falling away at Castrol Curve?
The track was breaking up in a few places Council put concrete on the worst patches, it made Craven A fun with a patch on the apex which was higher than the track.
Old 27 Aug 2006, 08:25 (Ref:1693332)   #12
Head Rev
Racer

Australia
Australia
Head Rev should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Used to go there and watch Rally Cross in the early 70's. We used to park about were you took the pic (#6) on the old circuit, sat on the bonnet of the car and watched the rally cross with our feet resting on the old circuit armco!!! Just wish I had taken some pics back in those days....memories that are hazy are of Brock - dual wheeled Super Charged Torana, VW Beetles, and Mini's all battling in close competition. Thosae were great days.
Old 27 Aug 2006, 09:22 (Ref:1693389)   #13
CooperS79
Racer

Australia
Wollongong
CooperS79 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.tasman-series.com/misc/lo...talinapark.asp

Some more pics and info from tasman-series.com
Old 27 Aug 2006, 10:03 (Ref:1693415)   #14
bestfit
Veteran

Australia
In a state of total confusion.
bestfit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbestfit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When I was about 9 or 10 I had a poster on my bedroom wall of Peter Brock in a yellow XU1(?), about 3 feet off the ground going over a jump on the rallycross course at Catalina Park.

That picture more than anything else sparked my interest in motorsport.
Old 27 Aug 2006, 11:28 (Ref:1693474)   #15
Aarrgh8
Veteran

Aarrgh8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unless you've got a different picture, the well-known pic of Brock yumping in the yellow XU1 was at Calder Park. Sorry, I'm a pedant and I know it (clap your hands).
Old 27 Aug 2006, 11:45 (Ref:1693485)   #16
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by CooperS79
http://www.tasman-series.com/misc/lo...talinapark.asp

Some more pics and info from tasman-series.com
If you want even more pics then that I took about 40 yesterday... Plenty of interesting stuff... Anyone want me to post some more here?
Old 27 Aug 2006, 11:50 (Ref:1693490)   #17
bestfit
Veteran

Australia
In a state of total confusion.
bestfit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbestfit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarrgh8
Unless you've got a different picture, the well-known pic of Brock yumping in the yellow XU1 was at Calder Park. Sorry, I'm a pedant and I know it (clap your hands).
Fair enough. The memories fade with age.
Still a great shot though
Old 27 Aug 2006, 23:30 (Ref:1694189)   #18
MRJUCY
Veteran

Australia
At the pub
MRJUCY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Over the last few years it's gone down hill a bit but I'm glad they've kept it as it was last used rather then remove the old reminders of what it once was.
Old 28 Aug 2006, 00:00 (Ref:1694195)   #19
Average Punter
Veteran

Australia
a drug store in Wagga
Average Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarrgh8
Hi R8

Dad took me to Catalina a number of times when I was a little tacker.

Can remember bits and pieces but as usual it's hard to know what I actually remember and what I saw on Dad's grainy old Super 8 movies...

What I CAN remember.

Chris Heyer flinging around an evil Volkswagen.
Brockie in that beast of a Torana.
Ed Mulligan in a '69 Monaro with a twin rear wheel set-up (ie two tyres on each rear corner...)
Bob Watson in a little Renault Gordini screaming its t*ts off.
Brian Foley monstering the bigger Jags in a Mini Cooper.

God I feel old now. Just call me grandpa...
Punters Beer Fest. Indy 02, Clipsal 03, Winton 04, Paperclip 05, Darwin 06, Oran Park 07, Phillip Island 08, Sandown 09, Townsville 10, Symmons 11, Eastern Creek 12, Winton 13. Townsville 14. Paperclip 15, Sandown 16, Symmons 17, PI 18, The Bend 19
Old 28 Aug 2006, 00:40 (Ref:1694208)   #20
johnny yuma
Veteran

johnny yuma should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
have a look in www.autopics.com.au plenty of Catalina photos from 60s and 70s including in 1965 Bob Jane's Mustang on it's roof after tripping over the Armco at the end of pit straight,Pete Geoghegan in 1966 straddling the track after a big lose out of Craven A,Barry Seton hiking a front wheel a foot in the air in his FX Holden punting it out of the same corner in 1963,with Spencer Martin inches behind him.
Old 28 Aug 2006, 05:01 (Ref:1694259)   #21
Aarrgh8
Veteran

Aarrgh8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Punter
Hi R8

Can remember bits and pieces but as usual it's hard to know what I actually remember and what I saw on Dad's grainy old Super 8 movies...

What I CAN remember.

Ed Mulligan in a '69 Monaro with a twin rear wheel set-up (ie two tyres on each rear corner...)
Any memories of Brian Foley chasing Jags must have been from the Super 8s. as it would have been 1964 at the most recent. However, I remember. Red Mini, black roof, sponsored by P & R Williams. The only Jag still racing by then was Bob Jane's white 4.1 Mk2. (Not counting Bill Burns' red one and John Suttor's blue one that raced occasionally around the rear of the field.)
Old 28 Aug 2006, 05:11 (Ref:1694262)   #22
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatters
If you want even more pics then that I took about 40 yesterday... Plenty of interesting stuff... Anyone want me to post some more here?
Sure please do.
Old 28 Aug 2006, 06:07 (Ref:1694267)   #23
Head Rev
Racer

Australia
Australia
Head Rev should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Punter
Hi R8

What I CAN remember.

God I feel old now. Just call me grandpa...
My brother took me in his Morris 1100!!!, just wish we had digital cameras back then...... Also, have seen very little video of Catalina Rallycross, I suppose Ch 7 used it for the land fill as was stated sometime back, what a shame as the footage from those days would worth a few dollars now on DVD. About to flick through some old Racing Car News mags and drift off into a dreammmmm, please don't wake me.........
Old 28 Aug 2006, 07:03 (Ref:1694277)   #24
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
I'll add some more photos at the next opportunity I get... Right now my internet is buggering up.