Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 22 Feb 2013, 21:28 (Ref:3209298)   #1
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Pirelli-The Tyre Story..

I am getting a little bored with the tyre stories..

They are round and black. Pirelli could you please choose how you arrive at your compounds and *please* let us get on with it..

I can not remember another time in the sport when a tyre manufacturer has had so much influence..

Let us not use this as an excuse for a good bashing session..
Old 22 Feb 2013, 22:26 (Ref:3209335)   #2
andy666
Racer

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
andy666 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridandy666 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I am pleased you posted this , I feel exactly the same way . Trying not to do any bashing but Pirelli please pick a compound and stick to it . Why do we need a different tyre every season ? I hope the drivers comments lately about this seasons new tyres are just because of the cold temps , I dont want to see even more pitstops this year .
Old 22 Feb 2013, 22:42 (Ref:3209352)   #3
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
All I am asking for is some consistency..

The technology is brilliant. the fact that Pirelli can deliver many variations is really extremely clever, and I am being somewhat disingenuous when I say they are black and round, that was not too intelligent on my behalf..

For constructors to have to guess about what the next season will bring is somewhat ?..I am beginning to feel like we are being manipulated, I dont care for that feeling.

The money is not there for this game..
Old 22 Feb 2013, 22:47 (Ref:3209358)   #4
andy666
Racer

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
andy666 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridandy666 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
In these limited testing times , how much track time is wasted just trying to figure out the tyres ?
Old 22 Feb 2013, 22:50 (Ref:3209361)   #5
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
In defence of Pirelli they produce new tyres every year to keep the teams on their toes. If they produced the same tyre every season the races could become too predictable, think back to the Bridgestone years.

At least with Pirelli the tyres present a challange to both the drivers and the teams.

Next year with new engines then we will have a whole new challange.
Old 22 Feb 2013, 22:52 (Ref:3209364)   #6
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are they actually testing the race compounds that will be used? I like the guessing game of early last season. It got boring near the end where there was only one stop and tires didn't fade all that much.
Old 22 Feb 2013, 22:55 (Ref:3209367)   #7
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Pete View Post
Are they actually testing the race compounds that will be used? I like the guessing game of early last season. It got boring near the end where there was only one stop and tires didn't fade all that much.
But we need and love racing..
Old 22 Feb 2013, 22:58 (Ref:3209370)   #8
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
I don't want to watch if that happens on the pit wall...
Old 22 Feb 2013, 22:59 (Ref:3209371)   #9
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
In defence of Pirelli they produce new tyres every year to keep the teams on their toes. If they produced the same tyre every season the races could become too predictable, think back to the Bridgestone years.

At least with Pirelli the tyres present a challange to both the drivers and the teams.

Next year with new engines then we will have a whole new challange.
I do quite like that challenge, not quite as pure as full freedom of reg. However if we can't have that (and I understand the reasons why), then this provides a challenge. Same for everyone and not tailored to suit one team, intentionally.

I too am bored of tyre stories. This is how it is, where is the story for those that get it? Two compounds each race and the team needs to get the best out of it. Bring on Melbourne...
Old 22 Feb 2013, 23:05 (Ref:3209374)   #10
andy666
Racer

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
Was it the BBC website today where i read JEV referred to the tyres as "cauliflowers" .
Old 22 Feb 2013, 23:18 (Ref:3209384)   #11
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
It would be foolish to think that we can return to an era when racing was more pure, I would just sound like an old timer which I am..

But for heavens sake,you know what I mean don't you...

Am I just being delusional ...
Old 22 Feb 2013, 23:18 (Ref:3209385)   #12
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like racing too, but I enjoy seeing what driver can save their tires vs who can't. They all get the same tires. I remember when Ferrari/MS had exclusive Bridgestone support where no one else had that. That was unfair.
Old 22 Feb 2013, 23:21 (Ref:3209388)   #13
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Quote:
I like racing too, but I enjoy seeing what driver can save their tires vs who can't. They all get the same tires. I remember when Ferrari/MS had exclusive Bridgestone support where no one else had that. That was unfair.
That was unfair and cheating really I agree...
Old 22 Feb 2013, 23:22 (Ref:3209390)   #14
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I remember when Ferrari/MS had exclusive Bridgestone support where no one else had that.
Yes and the races were very exciting so much so that I could not stay awake for them.
Old 22 Feb 2013, 23:23 (Ref:3209391)   #15
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
Yes and the races were very exciting so much so that I could not stay awake for them.
That was like watching a certain fellow win every tennis match..
Old 22 Feb 2013, 23:42 (Ref:3209394)   #16
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
I am getting a little bored with the tyre stories..
I much prefer them to driver stories.

Quote:
They are round and black.
Yes, I remember TGF telling some journo much the same thing when asked which tyres he would be using for the race.

Quote:
I can not remember another time in the sport when a tyre manufacturer has had so much influence..
hmmmm.....I remember all that was talked about during pre-sole tyre supplier days was which tyre would better suit this track or that track, or this driver or that driver.

Quote:
Let us not use this as an excuse for a good bashing session..
Agreed.
Old 23 Feb 2013, 00:02 (Ref:3209401)   #17
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Try again...
Old 23 Feb 2013, 00:23 (Ref:3209408)   #18
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
You can do better than that..

And it just fine if you don't know, because I think we are being hoodwinked with this tyre stuff..
Old 23 Feb 2013, 00:36 (Ref:3209412)   #19
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:

And it just fine if you don't know, because I think we are being hoodwinked with this tyre stuff..
Chill-out! They're just round black things.
Old 23 Feb 2013, 00:45 (Ref:3209414)   #20
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Chill-out! They're just round black things.

No because I think the tyres play to much of a role...

Words......Anyway you are the resident technical guru, so start delivering..

Otherwise I will send you to Mercedes ...
Old 23 Feb 2013, 12:22 (Ref:3209517)   #21
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's a shame really. When we had a tyre war there was minimal chat about them really, other than the odd "this temperature/track suits Michelin/Bridgestone/Goodyear" more.

Much worse than having one supplier making spastic tyres that nobody likes, fronted by a massive dweeb and endless, season-long talk about how cack the new compounds will be/are. Apparently.
Old 23 Feb 2013, 15:16 (Ref:3209565)   #22
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
It's a shame really. When we had a tyre war there was minimal chat about them really, other than the odd "this temperature/track suits Michelin/Bridgestone/Goodyear" more.

Much worse than having one supplier making spastic tyres that nobody likes, fronted by a massive dweeb and endless, season-long talk about how cack the new compounds will be/are. Apparently.
Well the problem I have at the moment David is, are the tyres that the teams tested at the end of last year, the same tyres that they are now testing with and are going to race with ?

I think it very very clever that Pirelli can make these changes it seems without too much of an issue, it's the constant tweaking that bothers me for a number of reasons..
Old 23 Feb 2013, 17:19 (Ref:3209595)   #23
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
I can't remember a season when there wasn't talk about tyres. B and C compounds. Pirelli this, or Michelin that.

Quote:
I don't think that anyone has actually complained about Pirelli's tyres. At least the teams and drivers know that they have something that isn't worse, or better than anyone else has. They will also be pleased about the fact that the tyres aren't going to fail because one manufacturer pushed the tyres limits too far (Indy 2005).

Quote:
Well the problem I have at the moment David is, are the tyres that the teams tested at the end of last year, the same tyres that they are now testing with and are going to race with ?
I think that most of the teams now know what they are dealing with in terms of tyres. The tyres certainly seem to have a wider operating window than they did last season.

Quote:
I think it very very clever that Pirelli can make these changes it seems without too much of an issue, it's the constant tweaking that bothers me for a number of reasons..
As long as the teams are aware of any 'tweaking', then it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

When there was a tyre war, tyres were often constantly tweaked in favour of one team (Ferrari did huge mileages when testing Bridgestone tyre compounds) and the other teams using the same brand of tyres were often kept in the dark about any alterations made to the tyres, resulting in their cars having handling characteristics that changed dramatically from race to race. Either that, or they were given tyres that weren't as good as the latest update.
Old 23 Feb 2013, 17:22 (Ref:3209599)   #24
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Quote:
No because I think the tyres play to much of a role...

Words......Anyway you are the resident technical guru, so start delivering..

Otherwise I will send you to Mercedes ...
The last part of my post I am of course just jesting with you..

But it's an interesting subject none the less...

Pirelli have the ability to control the outcome of a seasons racing..
Old 23 Feb 2013, 17:28 (Ref:3209602)   #25
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:

Pirelli have the ability to control the outcome of a seasons racing..
Tyre manufacturers have always been able to do that. But with the current tyres the compounds will remain the same throughout the season, and the choice of compounds is given for each race well in advance.