Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 1 Aug 2011, 14:38 (Ref:2934541)   #1
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
James Thompson leaves Volvo.

Didn't see this coming.

I wonder if this might effect the WTCC program...
Old 1 Aug 2011, 14:52 (Ref:2934546)   #2
Simonfield
Rookie

England
Haverhill, Suffolk, UK
Simonfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it does make you wonder if he's a difficult persron to work with. Its not the first time in recent years that he's split with a team.

I for one am very dissapointed, the way the car has improved in the WTCC, a two or three car team next year with him alongside Dahlgren would have been a force...

i wonder who the replacement will be?... any rumours floating around?
Old 1 Aug 2011, 15:42 (Ref:2934563)   #3
Mike Sheraton
Racer

United Kingdom
Hemel Hempstead
Mike Sheraton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope he joins a BTCC team, most likely would be Honda?
Old 1 Aug 2011, 15:54 (Ref:2934568)   #4
benno123
Rookie

benno123 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Perhaps he's going back to join LADA with the new Granta
Old 1 Aug 2011, 16:11 (Ref:2934578)   #5
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonfield View Post
it does make you wonder if he's a difficult persron to work with. Its not the first time in recent years that he's split with a team.

I for one am very dissapointed, the way the car has improved in the WTCC, a two or three car team next year with him alongside Dahlgren would have been a force...
I share both sentiments, while I'm sad to see him leave Volvo (especially with their WTCC programme coming up) it does make me wonder if he's that demanding or whether there just wasn't a click with these Scandinavian teams.
Old 1 Aug 2011, 17:38 (Ref:2934619)   #6
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by benno123 View Post
Perhaps he's going back to join LADA with the new Granta
Oh god, to finish what he started with them. The all new Lada range shaped in the image of James Thompson!

Seriously though, I would be amazed if he left Volvo just to spearhead a new Lada effort. Maybe he knows that Volvo just likes trolling everyone and will be pulling the plug at the end of the year...

I just hope Volvo leave because one driver left, even if it is Thompson.
Old 1 Aug 2011, 19:31 (Ref:2934666)   #7
Icebaby
Veteran

Icebaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Umm, Second team in a couple of season's he has part ways with ,Hartman being the other although he did return at a later date.

Could the split have been due to Volvo not allowing Thompson to defend his title with Hartman last week where Giovanardi took his drive and won?

Thompson is a highly regarded driver so I can't see him being difficult to work with as he has undertaken many projects, Dynamics and Steve Neal will proberbly see if a third Honda could be made available if teams close in on them after Snetterton, lets hope Thommo comes back home to the BTCC now.
Old 1 Aug 2011, 19:43 (Ref:2934673)   #8
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Hartmann thing was about his engineer, wasn't it?

This Polestart split was about the direction development was heading with the car.
Old 1 Aug 2011, 20:49 (Ref:2934709)   #9
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by medius View Post
The Hartmann thing was about his engineer, wasn't it?

This Polestart split was about the direction development was heading with the car.
Yeah. He's clearly not been comfortable in it so far and no reason for Polestar to change a car their other drivers are happy with. Can't see him being difficult to work with, seems to be an absolute gent to me. Return of Dahlgren? Zzzzz
Old 2 Aug 2011, 07:08 (Ref:2934852)   #10
Mr Pink
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Mr Pink should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Magnusson View Post
Yeah. He's clearly not been comfortable in it so far and no reason for Polestar to change a car their other drivers are happy with. Can't see him being difficult to work with, seems to be an absolute gent to me. Return of Dahlgren? Zzzzz
I'm hoping for Daniel Roos since he doesn't seem to be able to work out an open-wheeler deal. Get some new talent in there!
Old 3 Aug 2011, 06:55 (Ref:2935254)   #11
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Any team should be doing all they can to get JT into their car. Sure, he may have a pricetag, but his ability to develop a car is beyond doubt. Someone like Rob Austin Racing or any of the newer NGTC teams would do very well to hire him, though I fear the budgets wouldn't match up.
Old 3 Aug 2011, 16:37 (Ref:2935445)   #12
Icebaby
Veteran

Icebaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Any team should be doing all they can to get JT into their car. Sure, he may have a pricetag, but his ability to develop a car is beyond doubt. Someone like Rob Austin Racing or any of the newer NGTC teams would do very well to hire him, though I fear the budgets wouldn't match up.
Agree Thommo will be on many teams wishlist but with no disrespect to Rob Austin Racing Thommo will be looking at a front running car with manufacturer support as he rightly deserves.
Old 3 Aug 2011, 16:41 (Ref:2935448)   #13
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Does some of the pattern of Thommo leaving teams stem from the fact that he comes with his own engineer as a package deal? I can see that causing more friction with a team when it comes to the direction car development takes than any driver by himself would cause...

I have tons of respect for Thompson's driving chops but if you make yourself into an obligate too-many-cooks-in-kitchen situation then you're going to alienate experienced teams with an engineering staff they trust, so I hope that's not what's going on.
Old 3 Aug 2011, 17:30 (Ref:2935465)   #14
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk View Post
Does some of the pattern of Thommo leaving teams stem from the fact that he comes with his own engineer as a package deal? I can see that causing more friction with a team when it comes to the direction car development takes than any driver by himself would cause...

I have tons of respect for Thompson's driving chops but if you make yourself into an obligate too-many-cooks-in-kitchen situation then you're going to alienate experienced teams with an engineering staff they trust, so I hope that's not what's going on.
Thommo didn't take his 'preferred engineer' to Volvo, Marco's still with Proteam in the WTCC.

Taking your engineer with you isn't too odd. Turkington took his to the STCC.
Old 3 Aug 2011, 17:39 (Ref:2935470)   #15
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonfield View Post
I would intend to agree with you there. Swedish people tend to be placid and easy people to get on with, but their organized and logical approach to things may not have gone down well with an individual intent on playing the prima donna. Pity, as it would have been a good pairing.
Old 4 Aug 2011, 09:52 (Ref:2935708)   #16
kimbo
Rookie

England
West Sussex
kimbo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In my (admittedly limited) experience the words James Thompson and Prima Donna should never be used in the same sentance.
He's a blunt speaking man and quite probably wanted to go his own way on car setup / development, but with his track record (sorry!) I for one wouldn't argue!!
Kim
Old 4 Aug 2011, 11:11 (Ref:2935742)   #17
auroan
Veteran

auroan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Has anyone thought it might also be something to do with the mess going on between the TTA (which polestar are a member) and STCC ? And that Tommo does not want to go the way of the (totally non touring car, IMHO) Solution F type car.
Old 4 Aug 2011, 11:11 (Ref:2935743)   #18
Tim Wilkinson
Veteran

England
Essex
Tim Wilkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Didn't he fall out in a pretty big way with John Cleland when at Vauxhall early in his career? Can anyone recall the cause of that? (or was it just two guys who didn't really get on, and i've imagined it to be more than it was?)
Old 4 Aug 2011, 12:37 (Ref:2935780)   #19
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
AndyS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As a previous poster said James Thompson and Prima Donna in the same sentence, I doubt very much. He lived in the same area as I do, same town I think and as far as I know still does. Seen him around the area on and off a lot over the years on an evening. He certainly seems a very easy going and approachable bloke and doesn't show any airs and graces. Certainly never seen him playing the big I am, just standing quietly in the corner with a small group of friends or his wife/girlfriend.
Old 4 Aug 2011, 16:40 (Ref:2935873)   #20
Mr Pink
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Mr Pink should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Replaced by Tarquini! http://www.touringcartimes.com/article.php?id=6531
Old 4 Aug 2011, 16:45 (Ref:2935874)   #21
NICK ALLISON
Racer

England
london
NICK ALLISON should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Rosputnik View Post
Didn't see this coming.

I wonder if this might effect the WTCC program...
Bad hair cut and poor shaving results didn't suit the team!
Old 6 Aug 2011, 00:46 (Ref:2936339)   #22
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazard View Post
Thommo didn't take his 'preferred engineer' to Volvo, Marco's still with Proteam in the WTCC.

Taking your engineer with you isn't too odd. Turkington took his to the STCC.
I feel like I knew that and forgot. Oops. I did remember about Turks' engineer, however. The main point I was making, I suppose, is that if you end up with driver + engineer it's just one more party to have a disagreement. I seem to remember Marco's relationship with the team being part of the reason James left Hartmann, though I realize he did eventually return. I guess James + Polestar engineers was enough this time. Too bad.

In a way I think it might have been best for all parties if James had gone to the WTCC with Polestar, but at the same time Robert Dahlgren really does deserve the shot, because he has the talent...

Tarquini is an interesting score, however. With Giovanardi also dropping in, you have to feel it's nuts that STCC is falling apart after a season when these two, Thompson, Turkington and Rydell all make an appearance!