Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 20 Sep 2017, 08:09 (Ref:3768739)   #126
Malcolm Smith
Veteran

Malcolm Smith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another superb six hours meeting, with wonderful racing, cars on display, and mostly great weather. Also an excellent tribute to Barry Sidery-Smith.
A pleasure to meet so many enthusiastic competitors, mechanics, spectators,
especially Mike, Graham and others I have met at previous events. A few photos for Marcos fans and other favourites of mine attached.
Attached Thumbnails
S1.JPG   S2.jpg   S3.jpg  

S4.jpg   S5.jpg   S6.jpg  

Old 20 Sep 2017, 08:11 (Ref:3768740)   #127
Malcolm Smith
Veteran

Malcolm Smith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Spa 2.
Attached Thumbnails
S7.jpg   S8.jpg   S9.jpg  

S10.jpg   S11.jpg   S12.jpg  

Old 20 Sep 2017, 08:43 (Ref:3768747)   #128
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FISCracer View Post
It's not the engine that's fragile, it's everything else! Gearbox is always an issue along with diff, brakes and thins like the pan hard rod mounting which broke on Mark Dols' car.

I did not know Roberts engine had been stripped but that gives the lie to those who think the cars are bent. Of course none of the MGBs are 1950s, none of the TRs and Morgans 2.4L and none of the 289s, 302 or bigger.

The FIA have reclassified the 1800GT as GTP despite running in the current spec for almost 25 years. The argument continues as the decision is based on factually incorrect information such as the numbers produced. I look forward to other cars such as 26Rs, SLRs, TVRs and lightweight E types being reclassified as they were not produced in sufficient numbers.
Robert?
Old 20 Sep 2017, 08:44 (Ref:3768748)   #129
one-two
Racer

one-two should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well done for mentioning the tribute to Barry - I thought it was very nice
Old 20 Sep 2017, 08:50 (Ref:3768749)   #130
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quite surprised bu the diversity of Griffith shapes at this years meeting.Had to have a double take of the dark grey one up in the F1 garage close to No1 pit garage!
So low and wide even the roof looked wider!bonnet would have looked more at home on a Modsports car.
Have the regs for period lighting been dropped now btw?
Old 20 Sep 2017, 12:41 (Ref:3768780)   #131
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
The FIA have reclassified the 1800GT as GTP despite running in the current spec for almost 25 years. The argument continues as the decision is based on factually incorrect information such as the numbers produced. I look forward to other cars such as 26Rs, SLRs, TVRs and lightweight E types being reclassified as they were not produced in sufficient numbers.
An ongoing debate, but just to pick up on the Morgan SLR, of which there were 3 built, it is actually an alternative body on a +4 chassis, which means it shares the +4 homologation. Can't speak for the others! And don't feel victimised, the 3 Morgan owners have spent tens of thousands on their cars after the MSA decided their specification wasn't proven to be period. After all that expense they don't go any slower.......
Old 20 Sep 2017, 12:50 (Ref:3768782)   #132
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm sure there were only 500 Lightweight E types built in period and they are all running now.
Old 20 Sep 2017, 13:18 (Ref:3768785)   #133
356sc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Camberley
356sc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
I'm sure there were only 500 Lightweight E types built in period and they are all running now.
O
60s endurance 1965 356sc #49
Mag 7's #60
Old 20 Sep 2017, 15:04 (Ref:3768810)   #134
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Like these ones, original 1964 Lucas pathfinders

Quote:
Originally Posted by terence View Post
Have the regs for period lighting been dropped now btw?
Attached Thumbnails
crap lights.jpg  
Old 20 Sep 2017, 15:06 (Ref:3768811)   #135
356sc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Camberley
356sc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pretty sure the regs still say period lighting...clearly not enforced at scrutineering?!
60s endurance 1965 356sc #49
Mag 7's #60
Old 20 Sep 2017, 15:44 (Ref:3768822)   #136
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
If you need that many extra lights I'd be more concerned about the drivers eye sight.
Old 20 Sep 2017, 16:06 (Ref:3768824)   #137
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Actually lamp pods are something that I get wound up by. ABSOLUTELY not period, but I suspect that it is the lamps themselves that are scrutineered rather than the mounting method. An Elan had a row of oblong units in a bonnet pod and it looked hideous. Also LED strips all over the car are hardly 60s!

We had two small Lucas fogs (as well as Halogen headlamps) that were supposed to be aiming across to light kerbs. They weren't aimed correctly, but during the last stint, Rick set the car's fastest lap of the race in complete darkness.....
Old 20 Sep 2017, 16:06 (Ref:3768825)   #138
FISCracer
Racer

Wales
Surrey
FISCracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Quite
Old 20 Sep 2017, 16:17 (Ref:3768830)   #139
FISCracer
Racer

Wales
Surrey
FISCracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
An ongoing debate, but just to pick up on the Morgan SLR, of which there were 3 built, it is actually an alternative body on a +4 chassis, which means it shares the +4 homologation. Can't speak for the others! And don't feel victimised, the 3 Morgan owners have spent tens of thousands on their cars after the MSA decided their specification wasn't proven to be period. After all that expense they don't go any slower.......

So if you spend thousands of pounds it's acceptable to have HTP for a car that was not homologated in period and not built in sufficient numbers? And why is a kamm tail Grantura not acceptable as an alternative body if an SLR is?

It's all ****** given that most of the GT40s and Daytona Cobras did not exist 5 years ago. I gather that 'period' carbon fibre was recovered from the track at both Goodwood and Spa
Old 20 Sep 2017, 18:48 (Ref:3768851)   #140
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
And why is a kamm tail Grantura not acceptable as an alternative body?
In reply to your last sentence, I have absolutely no idea! Perhaps the MSA or one of their Inspectors could provide the answer.......
Old 20 Sep 2017, 21:50 (Ref:3768886)   #141
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
John Rees

update from the HSCC via Facebook earlier this evening:

Further update on John Rees after his accident at Spa last weekend:

John was repatriated on Tuesday by air ambulance and is now recovering at home.

After having a CT scan at CHR Verviers Hospital it was clear that John has a compressed fracture of the vertebrae L1 which we believe will simply require rest flat on his back for 4-6 weeks.

It would appear that the front right hand lower wishbone failed and someone says that it appeared that the front wheel buckled and a loud cracking sound was heard.

We would like to thank everyone for their good wishes.

Message from Janet Rees
Old 20 Sep 2017, 23:21 (Ref:3768921)   #142
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

It's all ****** given that most of the GT40s and Daytona Cobras did not exist 5 years ago. I gather that 'period' carbon fibre was recovered from the track at both Goodwood and Spa
Clearly then there was some seriously expensive rule bypassing going on back in the 60s!

Or maybe the rule makers had not heard of Carbon Fibre back then so they did not know to check for it?
Old 20 Sep 2017, 23:28 (Ref:3768922)   #143
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post

John was repatriated on Tuesday by air ambulance and is now recovering at home.

After having a CT scan at CHR Verviers Hospital it was clear that John has a compressed fracture of the vertebrae L1 which we believe will simply require rest flat on his back for 4-6 weeks.

It would appear that the front right hand lower wishbone failed and someone says that it appeared that the front wheel buckled and a loud cracking sound was heard.

Message from Janet Rees
In the circumstances that sounds like very positive news for John.
Old 21 Sep 2017, 00:29 (Ref:3768931)   #144
james s
Rookie

United Kingdom
Alton,Hants
james s should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In 1990 I sustained the same injury when I crashed my formula first at Lydden hill I spent 2 weeks flat bed rest in hospital (after which I had to learn to walk again). Recovery consisted of a lot of swimming etc but I was racing again a year later and my back is now better than before the accident because I learnt to use and protect it better than before.
Old 21 Sep 2017, 04:59 (Ref:3768984)   #145
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post

Message from Janet Rees
Thank you David for passing this on. Very positive to hear. Best wishes to John for a speedy recovery.
Old 21 Sep 2017, 07:40 (Ref:3769007)   #146
Simon Hadfield
Veteran

Simon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSimon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The issue of replicas and re bodied cars in period are two different things.The ability to "evolve" bodywork and specification is very clearly laid out in the appropriate period Appendix J and was legally done by Shelby, by Chris Lawrence, by Ferrari (sometimes actually not so legally by them too!), by many people in the periods that allowed those changes.
As far as I am aware virtually all period Appendix J (and C where appropriate) regulations are now easily accessible on the web, it would help sometimes if people actually read the period regulations before getting so excited.....
Appendix K today then lays out the basis on which those period regulations can be interpreted. One clear fact is the qualification of period freedoms - that clearly does not mean everything is free today but only permits cars, parts and developments used legally and provably under those freedoms in period. What it also clearly lays out is the point about cars having to have raced Internationally - again legally and provably - in period. That means that the car ran conforming to the appropriate version of Appendix J. This is the basic building block of the structure in which we compete.
The point of replicas can be debated to death, there are surely many pros and cons, but without them the events like the Spa Six Hours meeting would be a pretty small onanistic meeting of staggeringly rich people - it most certainly would not exist in the form we know and love it so much.
Replicas, which in fact were allowed long before Max M made the whole concept so much bigger (people were building GTS Elans and MGBs etc 30 years ago) have allowed a huge number of people to be involved in Historic Motorsport who are not millionaires.
Now whether that is a good or bad thing is another discussion altogether!

Last edited by Simon Hadfield; 21 Sep 2017 at 07:50.
Old 21 Sep 2017, 08:06 (Ref:3769014)   #147
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would say that there is a big difference in building a compliant MGB from an existing road car than building brand new cars (continuations) evennif to the same spec as in period.

I tbink it was Zef who said that "the 6 Hours is no longer a place for old cars"!!!
If more people were racing MGBs, etc and the 6 Hours was an event that encouraged such participation then even more people who are not millionaires could race..

I still think there is a place for a separate race for under 2 lire cars but then we will all be moaning about Spyder chassied Elans and brand new Marcos etc lol!
Old 21 Sep 2017, 08:08 (Ref:3769015)   #148
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
I would say that there is a big difference in building a compliant MGB from an existing road car than building brand new cars (continuations) evennif to the same spec as in period.

I tbink it was Zef who said that "the 6 Hours is no longer a place for old cars"!!!
If more people were racing MGBs, etc and the 6 Hours was an event that encouraged such participation then even more people who are not millionaires could race..

I still think there is a place for a separate race for under 2 lire cars but then we will all be moaning about Spyder chassied Elans and brand new Marcos etc lol!
Yep I will second that.Well said.
Old 21 Sep 2017, 08:24 (Ref:3769017)   #149
Simon Hadfield
Veteran

Simon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSimon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ok, but, a GTS specification Lotus Elan which is new - soup to nuts - and has been built that way for at least 30 years is a "better" replica than a new GT40? I can't see the difference.
Then there is the discussion about the piecemeal replacement of components of a real authentic car - if anyone is really struggling with sleeping I can heartily recommend the philosophical tract about the Ship of Theseus - even the ancient Greeks were discussing these issues!
I suspect the lower budget Six Hours idea and support for that could be usefully debated with Clare......
Old 21 Sep 2017, 08:33 (Ref:3769018)   #150
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Thank you David for passing this on. Very positive to hear. Best wishes to John for a speedy recovery.