josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pitpass have quite a contrast to post 294 and the general optimism :

http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpa...s_art_id=39741
Old 7 Jan 2010, 10:26 (Ref:2609335)   #303
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by josvandeperre View Post

http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpa...s_art_id=39741

The supposed offer of £500 million from the East Midlands Airport sounds too much to me, even in this day and age that is an awful lot of money for anyone to find.

The rest of the article has a ring of truth and there would certainly be some action between Wheatcroft and Gillett but outside buyers would not be interested in the rents that apparently were part of the original lease.

We can only continue to support Leroy's campaign and hope KW is sincere
Old 7 Jan 2010, 10:30 (Ref:2609337)   #304
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So 'Pitpass' are known for their accuracy in their reporting??
Old 7 Jan 2010, 10:36 (Ref:2609341)   #305
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmm, not sure about the pit pass article. The Airport does have planning permission for a runway Extention ON LAND THAT IT ALREADY OWNS, WITHIN ITS EXISTING BOUNDARY. It does not need any of Donington Park. Once built the extension will allow fully laden Jumbos to reach the west coast of the USA, so this new extension wil not need to be any bigger than is already planned.

The housing estate and new road is also a bit of a red herring. Yes, a planning application has been lodged but that is for land to the North of Donington Park, with farm land remaining between DP & the new development. Again, neither the new road or the housing estate require DP land.

Its all in the public domain. Pity people don't seem too concerned with facts.
Old 7 Jan 2010, 11:45 (Ref:2609388)   #306
JohnD
Veteran

JohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As we know from Brands and Croft, any housing development within earshot of a circuit puts it at hazard of compliants about noise etc., and limits on activity that can be crippling. That the housing comes later does not concern the Law - the Croft affair raised an excellent online article by a barrister explaining the legal precedents that found this evidence of the asinine nature of jurisprudence, but sad to say I have lost the reference.
A housing estate even adjacent to Donington could be the a big handicap, to investment, let alone the circuit's future.

John
Old 7 Jan 2010, 12:27 (Ref:2609410)   #307
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
I know, and agree with what you're saying there John, but as I think someone else on here has already said, the fact that the circuit is adjacent to the airport is a great advantage (especially if they're hoping to run buigger aircraft out of there) as that will generate far more noise that the race track could...
Old 7 Jan 2010, 12:55 (Ref:2609426)   #308
RCMADD
Racer

England
derby
RCMADD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
just one question

have anyone here ever seen the antimov or whatever its called, fly into/outof ema?

thats some sight to see, such a huge aircraft taking off.
Old 7 Jan 2010, 13:00 (Ref:2609431)   #309
SFurness
Racer

England
Leicestershire
SFurness should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not only is Donington next to an airport its the only airport in the UK without any (other than voluntary) night flight restrictions, any talk of housing development is "highly speculative"

I'm currently in a "chilly" Portugal just down the road fron the new Autodrama Algarve. Its business plan is for a few european events, FIA GT/F3/Super Bikes etc, Track Days and Corporate events. Talking to someone who works there its pretty busy.

For motorsport events the marshalls are brought down from Lisbon.

Steve
Old 7 Jan 2010, 13:14 (Ref:2609438)   #310
GrahamH
Rookie

England
Bedfordshire
GrahamH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with Andy97, the Pitpass article is just conjecture.

The postive and dignified statement from Kevin Wheatcroft is very welcome. I'd have thought we should take what he says seriously, as he's the best placed person to (a) know what is actually happening; and (b) to have an accurate view of the costs of re-opening the circuit.

In terms of the future, I hope that a profitable business could be re-built, based on a mix of track days, car & bike race schools, national racing and other events. It worked before (albeit with MotoGP bringing in crowds and revenue), so I would assume that it could work again - that model certainly works for the MSV circuits.

In terms of 'upgrades', as a club racer I'd like to see the kind of facilities that exist at Oulton Park: A great big scrutineering bay, large tarmac paddock, decent pit garages, clean changing rooms / showers, and of course simple but good quality catering. I'm not a builder or civil engineer, but I would have thought that kind of evolutionary development woudn't cost too much.

Here's hoping we're back racing at Donington in 2010.
Old 7 Jan 2010, 13:34 (Ref:2609458)   #311
cannardd
Racer

United Kingdom
London, England
cannardd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamH View Post
In terms of 'upgrades', as a club racer I'd like to see the kind of facilities that exist at Oulton Park: A great big scrutineering bay, large tarmac paddock, decent pit garages, clean changing rooms / showers, and of course simple but good quality catering. I'm not a builder or civil engineer, but I would have thought that kind of evolutionary development wouldn't cost too much.
I agree, one of the biggest gripes when we are at Donington is the scrutineering bay and the 3 or 4 tight 90deg bends you need to shuffle the car through.
Wouldn't be too difficult to sort that out.
The current garages are a lot better than the previous ones and acceptable.
Tarmac paddock space always seems to be a problem at Donington, so it needs more.
Also, the attitude of the security staff needs to improve!
Old 7 Jan 2010, 13:37 (Ref:2609459)   #312
skentellytubby
Racer

United Kingdom
Manchester
skentellytubby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Hmmm, not sure about the pit pass article. The Airport does have planning permission for a runway Extention ON LAND THAT IT ALREADY OWNS, WITHIN ITS EXISTING BOUNDARY. It does not need any of Donington Park. Once built the extension will allow fully laden Jumbos to reach the west coast of the USA, so this new extension wil not need to be any bigger than is already planned.

The housing estate and new road is also a bit of a red herring. Yes, a planning application has been lodged but that is for land to the North of Donington Park, with farm land remaining between DP & the new development. Again, neither the new road or the housing estate require DP land.

Its all in the public domain. Pity people don't seem too concerned with facts.
Spot on Andy - there's even a map with a big red line showing where the planning application has been made for. Conspiracy theories and conjecture spun up by a webzine (that I'd never heard of until a few days ago) are far more interesting than facts!

I've just read the pitpass report and I note the journos favourite sentance "it is understood" is used. I also notice a complete absence of speech marks anywhere.......

It says the "allegations" (another journo fave) are from a Wheatcroft employee. One that has just lost their job maybe.....

Ah well, in the absence of much else going on it makes it all interesting doesn't it! Its made me and many others read the Pitpass website for the first time ever, which is what they and their advertisers wanted (who pay on website hits)!

Anyway, I've heard they're going to build a nuclear power station there....

Last edited by skentellytubby; 7 Jan 2010 at 13:38. Reason: missed a word out!
Old 7 Jan 2010, 13:40 (Ref:2609464)   #313
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by josvandeperre View Post
So many words, so few facts.
Old 7 Jan 2010, 13:46 (Ref:2609468)   #314
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The guy who wrote it is probably paid by the 'word'.Pitpass have never been interested in matters of a 'Factual Nature'.
Old 7 Jan 2010, 14:12 (Ref:2609495)   #315
skentellytubby
Racer

United Kingdom
Manchester
With all this conjecture from all directions, I feel rather sorry for Kevin to be honest!

At this rate he might just turn it into a tank playground for his use alone and give everyone else a two finger salute!
Old 7 Jan 2010, 14:13 (Ref:2609498)   #316
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMADD View Post
just one question

have anyone here ever seen the antimov or whatever its called, fly into/outof ema?

I haven't seen it fly but I have walked through the cargo hold when it was on display at Fairford a few years ago. It has to be seen to be believed, it's huge!
Old 7 Jan 2010, 15:00 (Ref:2609514)   #317
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMADD View Post
just one question

Yes. Either the Antonov 124 or 224 (the one with the twin tail & 6 engines designed to carry the Russian Space Shuttle - only one exists) are in & out of EMA on a weekly basis.

Also get the smaller Illyushin sometimes but not as frequetly as in the past. Boy are they smoky!
Old 7 Jan 2010, 15:06 (Ref:2609515)   #318
stroller
Racer

stroller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Article written by “Mat Coch”

Slight misprint methinks
Old 7 Jan 2010, 15:16 (Ref:2609519)   #319
skentellytubby
Racer

United Kingdom
Manchester
So Mat Coch works for Pitparse then?
Old 7 Jan 2010, 15:47 (Ref:2609535)   #320
S.Moss
Racer

England
Wakefield, West Yorkshire
S.Moss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannardd View Post
I agree, one of the biggest gripes when we are at Donington is the scrutineering bay and the 3 or 4 tight 90deg bends you need to shuffle the car through.
It would possibly be better to get rid of the current buildings and open up parc ferme/scruiteneering section to the end of cafe area.

For showers what about a building nearer the Cafe for the usual paddock as well as a bigger loo block?

For donington it would be best to put the circuit back to even a club layout and then run some meetings for a year or so (and lots of track days seen as nobody is racing there this year) to try and get some expendature back and take it from there.
Old 7 Jan 2010, 16:19 (Ref:2609554)   #321
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Moss View Post
It would possibly be better to get rid of the current buildings and open up parc ferme/scruiteneering section to the end of cafe area.

For showers what about a building nearer the Cafe for the usual paddock as well as a bigger loo block?

For donington it would be best to put the circuit back to even a club layout and then run some meetings for a year or so (and lots of track days seen as nobody is racing there this year) to try and get some expendature back and take it from there.
Didn't there used to be showers in the paddock area, somewhere in the area of above the pedestrian tunnel that goes to the infield (near to what was at the time, the indoor assembly area)? Or am I halluscinating again?
Old 7 Jan 2010, 17:21 (Ref:2609582)   #322
S.Moss
Racer

England
Wakefield, West Yorkshire
S.Moss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seems i can't edit my message It appears i typed one thing whilst thought another and was meant to say maybe shower block over towards redgate where the warehouses are..

Yes there did/is (can't remember if they are still there) showers but looked at them but never used them as they were pretty poor if i remember.
Old 7 Jan 2010, 18:58 (Ref:2609642)   #323
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
the showers are now pretty good at donington, got redone when the new building was put in the pits
Old 7 Jan 2010, 21:17 (Ref:2609713)   #324
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
One thing is for sure. Donington IS Tom's Memorial, no matter what. It was HIS track, and HIS GP in 1993. Here's hoping it's back, as good as ever, 2011, with some nice International races to boast about!
Old 8 Jan 2010, 14:18 (Ref:2610020)   #325
Gerryc
Racer

United Kingdom
Aylesbury, Bucks.
Gerryc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Grey View Post
One thing is for sure. Donington IS Tom's Memorial, no matter what. It was HIS track, and HIS GP in 1993. Here's hoping it's back, as good as ever, 2011, with some nice International races to boast about!
Well said Tim