Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 25 Jun 2014, 07:33 (Ref:3426190)   #1
321Go
Veteran

321Go should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2015 Formula 1 silly season thread.

It's about this time of year that the stories begin flushing out. And oh my have they started with some stinkers this year.

Some of the stories floating around are linked below. Some not directly 2015 driver market related, but hey, worth a read if you're looking to waste some time while sitting on the toilet.

McLaren approached Lewis Hamilton

Button could be shown exit at McLaren

Vettel finished at Red Bull

Ferrari moves early to extend Alonso contract

Renault's F1 engine project up for sale

And if I may, I'd like to contribute to the already bad smell in the air. Rumour has it Honda/McLaren has recently signed a 'pre contract' with two of the top ranked drivers currently. But it may not be for 2015.
Old 25 Jun 2014, 08:09 (Ref:3426210)   #2
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If I might be so bold, but surely you are just adding fuel to the fire. Most of it is garbage, and the rest is pure speculation. It is highly unlikely that the teams or drivers would have started these "rumours", and are in for a hiding no matter what they reply when a microphone is stuck under their noses for a response. Such as Button in the last few days.

Most of this rubbish is concocted in what passes for a brain by the so called "journalists" who can't think of any thing original or even factual if their lives depend on it.

Take the recent story about Magnusson's appearance at the MDC to address some of those working there, and to thank them from their hard work. The journalist claims that he was given a "standing" ovation when he had finished speaking to the assembled throng.

Wow, I hear you say, that's really impressive! But, is it true though?

Well, knowing a little bit about how these things are done at Woking, which in fact is the same at most of the teams, the answer is a disingenuous yes. What actually happens is that the "audience" are ushered into a large meeting-type room/space, and a small dais is erected for the guest speaker/s. Those invited to be spoken at then usually stand, although a few seats at the front may be provided for the old and infirm.

So, when Magnussen finished speaking, instead of there being absolute silence, those gathered applauded him from an upright position, which is how they had been from the moment that the entered the room.

Did the hack, a more appropriate word, expect the assembled audience to suddenly sit on the floor before commencing to clap or what?

Why can't we just deal with facts, and debate them when they are known. Have people got so little going on in their lives that all they can do is spend their every waking hour speculating, and yes, even developing spreadsheets to show what might or might not happen if driver N breaks wind, but does it the final race of the year right in front of his arch rival driver L causing him to crash out at the last corner.

Blooming heck, a meteor may come down right at the last moment, and Bruce Willis is getting a bit long in the tooth to save the planet now.
Old 25 Jun 2014, 08:40 (Ref:3426220)   #3
321Go
Veteran

Old 25 Jun 2014, 09:41 (Ref:3426237)   #4
321Go
Veteran

I just came across these two articles. THIS one from Will Buxton on his thoughts on the driver market for 2015. And THIS one from Adam Cooper on the Renault F1 engine sale.

What a load of "garbage". Who are these guys?? Bloody "journalists".
Old 25 Jun 2014, 09:50 (Ref:3426242)   #5
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Webber to Renault. You heard it here first and last.
Old 25 Jun 2014, 09:57 (Ref:3426245)   #6
321Go
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
Webber to Renault. You heard it here first and last.
Webbers biggest regret.
Old 25 Jun 2014, 10:05 (Ref:3426246)   #7
TheNo1F1Fan
Veteran

Denmark
TheNo1F1Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNo1F1Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Magnussen might stay at McLaren.
Old 25 Jun 2014, 14:56 (Ref:3426331)   #8
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Magnussen should stay at Mclaren. Button should get the axe. Vettel should go to Mclaren.

Vettel has already gotten more than enough at Red Bull. You would think he would be bored and wanting a new 3-4 year challenge. The car isn't to his liking anyway.
Old 25 Jun 2014, 15:14 (Ref:3426336)   #9
TheNo1F1Fan
Veteran

Denmark
TheNo1F1Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNo1F1Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Magnussen and Vettel for McLaren, then
Old 25 Jun 2014, 15:32 (Ref:3426347)   #10
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Christ, people always forget that JB was/is a massive contributor to McLaren both in their prime with Hamilton, and during their recent struggles, and outscored Hamilton in their years together. Whether it is "because Hamilton DNFed" or not, Hamilton DNFed, and Button didn't, so there is already a benefit to having JB. He never gets involved in silly incidents. JB is also a WDC (like it or not, he has more WDCs than Rosberg, and as many as Hamilton), and is still the best low-grip driver on the grid, and probably will be until he retires.

Magnussen is, other than Kvyat, the brightest prospect on the grid in my eyes, and with that line-up, McLaren are not rewarding their drivers' talents with results. JB is a proven winner and at the end of 2011 was the most complete driver on the grid - consistently fast, and not crashing - whilst Magnussen is surely a future champion. Why people think that either should go is bizarre.

Vettel is being outpaced (just) by Ricciardo, who everyone thought would be the clear no.2, and barely got the seat over Vergne, whilst Alonso was matched and frequently beaten by a rookie teammate in 2007, and is the worst team player McLaren could possibly sign (the opposite of "nice guy" JB).

Whilst both Vettel and Alonso are more proven, what have JB and Magnussen done wrong? Also, Button knows Honda, and Magnussen can only get better. McLaren's future can be fixed easily with their current line-up!

Last edited by Biscuits In A Red Bull; 25 Jun 2014 at 15:35. Reason: More argument-ing :)
Old 25 Jun 2014, 15:54 (Ref:3426357)   #11
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
It's difficult to read McLaren exactly. This is the last year of their Merc tenure, they had a staff sweep out at the start of the year, so it's unsurprising that they aren't plugged in, in terms of form.

There's a dynamic for the team to have an experienced hand and a young gun and that'll protect Button to an extent but if an experienced young gun was to come on the market, Button could well be sidelined.
Old 25 Jun 2014, 16:06 (Ref:3426361)   #12
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
that SKY link was incredibly speculative, but i really like the idea of Mclaren courting Hamilton in a bid to get him back.

of course it all depends on how this season plays out but its a little bit extra fuel for the fire.
Old 25 Jun 2014, 18:07 (Ref:3426400)   #13
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Hamilton is someone who could dislodge Button at McLaren. Dunno if Button is considered "Whitmarsh's man" which means he might be on borrowed time but Dennis does believe losing his boy Hamilton was a mistake.
Old 25 Jun 2014, 18:21 (Ref:3426405)   #14
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
Hamilton is someone who could dislodge Button at McLaren. Dunno if Button is considered "Whitmarsh's man" which means he might be on borrowed time but Dennis does believe losing his boy Hamilton was a mistake.
Wrong way round, in my opinion. Dennis feels betrayed by Hamilton after all the support that he gave him over so many years, and he rewards loyalty. Dennis would be very wary of re-hiring Hamilton, because he now knows that Hamilton's only loyalty is to the big bucks.
Old 25 Jun 2014, 18:37 (Ref:3426410)   #15
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Wrong way round, in my opinion. Dennis feels betrayed by Hamilton after all the support that he gave him over so many years, and he rewards loyalty. Dennis would be very wary of re-hiring Hamilton, because he now knows that Hamilton's only loyalty is to the big bucks.
Hamilton's loss will be regarded as Whitmarsh's mistake and about Hamilton himself, Dennis will be philosophical about his joining the works Mercedes outfit instead of just staying with the customer team. Dennis understands the sport and his purported facility to hold grudges is wildly overstated. McLaren has Honda punch now and knows he can now confidently pitch once again for his lost star with his new works supply. I'd be surprised if Hamilton doesn't reappear at McLaren at some point in the future.
Old 25 Jun 2014, 18:44 (Ref:3426412)   #16
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Hamilton's loss will be regarded as Whitmarsh's mistake and about Hamilton himself, Dennis will be philosophical about his joining the works Mercedes outfit instead of just staying with the customer team. Dennis understands the sport and his purported facility to hold grudges is wildly overstated.
It wasn't anyone's mistake, (They offered him more to stay) but Lewis' choice.

As far as Ron is concerned he is a much maligned person. People who knew him and worked for him for years say a quite different story about a person who himself was loyal, caring and supportive. He had expectations that you would do your job but he also valued and provided good support.
Old 25 Jun 2014, 19:00 (Ref:3426417)   #17
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post

As far as Ron is concerned he is a much maligned person. People who knew him and worked for him for years say a quite different story about a person who himself was loyal, caring and supportive. He had expectations that you would do your job but he also valued and provided good support.
Did they cut Hamilton's wages or refused to give him a hike? There was grumbling at that time of that kind.

To me he was kinda going anyway, works supply has a magnetic pull and he was perhaps too long at McLaren.

Dennis is thoroughly professional. The only grudge he held was probably against Mosley. I think the Alonso 'grudge' is overstated too. I believe Dennis when he says that he'd have him back if circumstances aligned.
Old 25 Jun 2014, 21:33 (Ref:3426465)   #18
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Who's to say it's not the Alonso camp starting the Ham and Button rumours to engineer a seat away from Ferrari.
Old 25 Jun 2014, 21:52 (Ref:3426468)   #19
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Quote:
Did they cut Hamilton's wages or refused to give him a hike? There was grumbling at that time of that kind.......

.........I think the Alonso 'grudge' is overstated too. I believe Dennis when he says that he'd have him back if circumstances aligned.
Dennis tends not to get into slanging matches on air, but I can tell you that he was royally p*ssed off about the two you mention above. With Hamilton, he let it known, via Whitmarsh, that they weren't getting into a bidding war with Mercedes over him, because that was what Hamilton and his advisers were trying to attempt. They offered him an increase, and told him to take it or leave it because they had had enough of Hamilton going backwards and forwards to Mercedes to screw more potential money out of them and then telling McLaren to match it plus a little extra.

As for Alonso, he may smile when talking to him or about him, but it is through gritted teeth. It was because of Alonso's actions that he had to step down from being team principle, and cost the team all it's 2007 constructors points and a $100 million fine. Alonso had been destabilising the team because the team would not acknowledg him as the number one driver, and on one occasion actually stopped Hamilton from getting a last flying lap. Alonso was aware of what had happened between Coughlan and Stepney, and when he threatened to send details to the FIA, Dennis believed that Alonso was making false allegations.

As Teretonga says, Dennis is a much maligned person, but he demands loyalty. He amply rewards that loyalty, but he also remembers actions of those who betray him and his largess. A fine example of that unstinting loyalty is the fact that Martin Whitmarsh still works at Woking, and yet he is not vindictive, as shown by the fact that, if I remember correctly, he let Alonso leave without completing his contract that had about another year to run.
Old 26 Jun 2014, 00:04 (Ref:3426508)   #20
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Hamilton, Vettel, Raikkonen, that would be a crop of drivers I would just love to see wind up back at Mclaren. Being selfish, Hamilton should stick with what he's got a Mclaren. I would love to see Vettel or Raikkonen back at Mclaren. Mclaren despite it's recent trend has a history of building spectacularly fast cars. Raikkonen + Mclaren was dynamite. Hamilton + Mclaren was Dynamite.

It's obvious that Toto Wolf over at Mercedes prefers Rosberg of the 2 drivers. I hope Magnussen doesn't get the Perez treatment.
Old 26 Jun 2014, 00:08 (Ref:3426510)   #21
Articus
Veteran

Does Honda have the advantage of having learned 1 of the secrets of the Mercedes engine?
Old 26 Jun 2014, 00:37 (Ref:3426517)   #22
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post

This is what I have heard.

To Ron your word is your bond, we have even seen the likes of Christian Horner say that Ron had given him his word and that would be what would happen.
If McLaren was to employ any new driver, I think Vettel would be the only one with the remotest chance. c.f. Mike Harte's post above!
Old 26 Jun 2014, 00:39 (Ref:3426519)   #23
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
Does Honda have the advantage of having learned 1 of the secrets of the Mercedes engine?
They would be total idiots not to have learned from Mercedes' engines this year and Honda are not idiots!
I believe they delayed their entry precisely because they knew that they would learn a bunch of cheap lessons by entering a year later.
Old 26 Jun 2014, 04:00 (Ref:3426581)   #24
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by 321Go View Post
I just came across these two articles. THIS one from Will Buxton on his thoughts on the driver market for 2015. And THIS one from Adam Cooper on the Renault F1 engine sale.

What a load of "garbage". Who are these guys?? Bloody "journalists".
Can anyone else see a challenge with 'Red Bull Engines' supplying Lotus & Caterham?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 26 Jun 2014, 08:07 (Ref:3426640)   #25
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Mike - where do you get your information from? You appear well informed.