Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 2 Dec 2017, 13:59 (Ref:3784748)   #61
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNaBUru38 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNaBUru38 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Watkins Glen is a beautiful track, but who cares?

Mexico City is a big city, and IndyCar would make a big impact.
Old 2 Dec 2017, 16:38 (Ref:3784764)   #62
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist has a real shot at the championship!Purist has a real shot at the championship!Purist has a real shot at the championship!Purist has a real shot at the championship!Purist has a real shot at the championship!Purist has a real shot at the championship!
I'd expect the racing at Watkins Glen to be better as well.

Sorry, but Tilke's changes don't help Mexico City in that regard. Turn 1 seems like the only realy viable overtaking point; I just hope the Indy Cars have enough tpower so that they don't simply stall out on the straight, making the slipstream basically ineffective. The esses have been ruined compared to what you may remember from ChampCar back in 2007. Turns 1-3 and 4-5 are single-file now, and like the Festival Curves at Portland, I'm kind of expecting for the party to be over for someone on the opening lap.

As for aesthetics, basically every long-lasting street circuit has that to some extent. Monaco, Pau, Macau, Trois Rivieres, and Long Beach are still around. Caesar's Palace, downtown Detroit, Dallas, the Meadowlands, Phoenix, etc aren't around anymore. Also, for some reason, people are generally more excited by Potrero de los Funes than even Algarve, which is pretty darn good for a "modern", permanent road course.
Old 2 Dec 2017, 20:01 (Ref:3784789)   #63
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Watkins Glen is a beautiful track, but who cares?

Mexico City is a big city, and IndyCar would make a big impact.
I don't care if they never race outside of the US and Canada again. There's plenty of deserving tracks in the US and Canada and I like Watkins Glen while never really being a fan of Circuit Rodriguez.

Edit:
And sounds like they don't want it down there until there's a full time Mexican contestant? I guess I get that but that seems a bit pretentious.

Last edited by fieldodreams79; 2 Dec 2017 at 20:08.

-Mike Cooley, The Stroker Ace
Old 2 Dec 2017, 20:56 (Ref:3784796)   #64
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist has a real shot at the championship!Purist has a real shot at the championship!Purist has a real shot at the championship!Purist has a real shot at the championship!Purist has a real shot at the championship!Purist has a real shot at the championship!
While I despise what Tilke did to the place, saying you never liked it is a bit harsh.

This is quite nice, really:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKtjsTAYrxc

A1GP ran that same layout in their 2006-07 season, also.

In human terms, Mexico is a much larger market than Canada: ~120 million compared to ~35 million.

And especially if there's going to be clamoring for Canada to maybe have a second race, I can't get behind the idea that "Mexico just shouldn't have any". But yes, I wish we had some other options down there.
Old 3 Dec 2017, 13:26 (Ref:3784896)   #65
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Kinda oddly, the rebuild of Mexiico City works for multi-class racing because it forces some real strategy and driver skill (and experience) on what you can do in traffic and when. For a single class series, it's a rubbish rebuild, but for WEC it was great.

Is Mexico only being considered because the circuit needs a second big event after WEC left?
Old 3 Dec 2017, 13:37 (Ref:3784898)   #66
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
Veteran

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Kinda oddly, the rebuild of Mexiico City works for multi-class racing because it forces some real strategy and driver skill (and experience) on what you can do in traffic and when. For a single class series, it's a rubbish rebuild, but for WEC it was great.

Is Mexico only being considered because the circuit needs a second big event after WEC left?
If the Hermanos Rodriguez circuit needed a second big event, why didn't they push for the IndyCar race, irrespective of whether Gutierrez had a full time drive or not?
Old 3 Dec 2017, 13:43 (Ref:3784900)   #67
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridS griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridS griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridS griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
While I despise what Tilke did to the place, saying you never liked it is a bit harsh.

This is quite nice, really:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKtjsTAYrxc

A1GP ran that same layout in their 2006-07 season, also.

In human terms, Mexico is a much larger market than Canada: ~120 million compared to ~35 million.

And especially if there's going to be clamoring for Canada to maybe have a second race, I can't get behind the idea that "Mexico just shouldn't have any". But yes, I wish we had some other options down there.

Thanks for putting this up, makes you realise what is missing from today’s racing
Old 3 Dec 2017, 14:05 (Ref:3784901)   #68
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
If the Hermanos Rodriguez circuit needed a second big event, why didn't they push for the IndyCar race, irrespective of whether Gutierrez had a full time drive or not?
They must assume that the race would not be profitable without the draw of a local driver.