Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 18 Dec 2007, 14:57 (Ref:2091323)   #1
Speedywood
Rookie

Speedywood should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lancia Fulvia Coupe and Tour de Corse 1965

Hi Guys,

I am looking for information on the Lancia Fulvia coupe being used in international competition in 1965. I know that it was entered by Squadra Corse in the 1965 Tour de Corse and finished 8th. I would like to know what class it was entered in, a copy of the entry / complete race results would be great.

Dave
Old 18 Dec 2007, 21:18 (Ref:2091539)   #2
ncundy
Rookie

ncundy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Details have always been very sketchy on this first appearence of the Fulvia. I have all the books and no mention in the competion sections. What I do know is that was a 1200 (not a 1200 HF) crewed by Cella & Camerana. I think the registration number was TO 744654 from my notes (but that is not clear). I have never come across any photos and the best for results I have is:

1 Pierre Orsini/Jean Baptiste Canonici - Renault 8 Gordini
2 Mauro Bianchi/Gauvm – Alpine Renault
3 Jean Vinatier/Hoffmann - Renault 8 Gordini
4 Roger de Lageneste - Renault Gordini
5 Lucien Bianchi - Renault Gordini

+ Cella in 8th

As to class again I am not sure - but I have ever seen any homologation papers for the Fulvia at that time so it may have been in the prototype ?? Earliest homolgation papers I have seen for a Fulvia are Feb 1967 (1.3 HF).
If you are keen to get to the bottom of this I would try asking CarloHF from www.viva-lancia.com on the italian forum. An author of some repute he is more likely than any to know.
I would be interested to know if you are able to find anything out as I have owned Fulvias for 20+years and am currently restoring a Fanalone, so always on the look out for new information. If I find anything I will post up, but without a specific search it is unlikely.

All the best - and do you mind me asking why you ask ??
Old 19 Dec 2007, 07:38 (Ref:2091765)   #3
Speedywood
Rookie

Thanks for the information. I am restoring a Fulvia for historic racing and was wondering whather there was any possibility of obtaining period F, FIA papers at some time in the future. I have FIA papers dated 31st December 1965, which I am told relate to 1966, but feel sure that a fulvia coupe must have been used in International Competition in 1965 and am currently scouring the race, rally and hillclimb results in mags of that year for info. I would be happy to share photo's and info with a fellow builder by email if you wish.

Once again thanks for the reponse
Old 19 Dec 2007, 09:44 (Ref:2091821)   #4
Jeremy Hall
Racer

Jeremy Hall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As I am sure you know the 1091 sedan was homologated in Period F which may be the way for you to go-I raced one for some time in FIA Historic Touring cars and had enormous fun-but no pots!
It is unlikely that you will find 1965 use of the coupe Internationally because they had to be homologated before they could take part in an International competition- so its a chicken and egg situation really.
About five or six years ago the FIA changed the rules and decided that cars could only take part in Historic competition in the period when they were homologated even if the numbers required had been achieved some time before.
Old 20 Dec 2007, 08:37 (Ref:2092489)   #5
Speedywood
Rookie

Jeremy, It is however a fact that Squadra Corse entered a Fulvia Coupe in the Tour de Corse in November 1965. Piloted by Leo Cella it finished 8th ....... but in what class was it entered???
Old 20 Dec 2007, 09:34 (Ref:2092514)   #6
Jeremy Hall
Racer

Jeremy Hall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When all else fail read the regulations or at least Autosport.
Firstly it was on the calendar as an International event,and as a rally but Autosport 12/11/65 is quite clear that it was a road race in effect. There is no mention or picture of a Fulvia coupe,but it is clear reading the report that the event was ruin on the same basis as the Liege Rome Liege-i.e it was called a rally but it was not structured as a rally is understood today and the entries were simply run what you brung-there are no mentions any where of classes and the results are just overall.
I conclude we are both right-it has international history but not in any structured way that Appendix K type old car sport recognises today.
I think you would struggle to find a slot for a replica of this car and equally to get an HTP.It is not really a Historic Special, it might be a prototype.
Good luck , but from experience there is not a lot of fun in watching the Mini Coopers , with 40 years of engine development under the bonnet, run away and hide from your 1216 cc Fulvia.