Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 25 Sep 2005, 20:15 (Ref:1416197)   #51
Rod Birley
Veteran

England
West Kingsdown (near Brands Hatch)
Rod Birley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The French car had a battery failure (or so we were told, like the reason the Italian car was painted blue) in the pit lane and only just made it out onto the grid in time. Then it stalled before the start,unlike the New Zealand car which stalled on the green flag lap and was pushed into the pit lane where it re-started from. The French and Indian cars were pushed into the small "car park" just past the starting gantry. Hence the marshal running back across the track etc..
Old 25 Sep 2005, 20:17 (Ref:1416201)   #52
ascarmarshal
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Yorkshire
ascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy2
just a couple of thoughts, why was the driver involved in the accident at paddock bend not wearing a 'hans device' ?,

I would have thought if A1 was serious, safety would be first ?

and what overtaking was there, I have seen more in any single GP2 race this year ?

even the last F3 at Modello had more passing.....

they may be loud and colourful, but the end they are old technology and F3000 Lola's at that.

I would say they are the big brother of another formula, Palmer audi and look where that is now...boost button and all...

I remember the first year of Cart cars coming to Brands and the crowd was just as big, the acid test is the second or third years....where is Cart now?

the problem is there really is no point to it, it's not one thing or another, GP2 has a reason...F3 has a reason...A1 has no reason.

If anyone thinks this is going to challenge F1, they must be on 'acid' all the hype in the world counts for nought, if the racing has no purpose,

The only people making money are the Teams running them and the 50 paid drivers.....

Sorry to be negative, but just 'cause some rich guy thinks it's a good idea, do we all have to follow like sheep,

Bernie sleep well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I saw the accident at Paddock and was near where the car landed and the driver WAS wearing a HANS as mandated by the rules (which are on the A1 website).

The CART crowd was no where near the crowd today with regards to numbers. CART didn't come back because of the crowd figure but because CART went bust and the new owners (OWRS) wanted to keep the established races and cut out the newer ones to save money.

A1 is not meant to challenge F1 as A1 happens during the off season. F1 is about the driver, A1 is about the Country. All racing has purpose, number one is to entertain the fans.

I think you are one of those who don't like anything new or change. A1 is great idea and I hope it will suceed
Old 25 Sep 2005, 20:19 (Ref:1416206)   #53
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
Rockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well said, and also i'm surprised the concept of country v country hadn't popped up before.
Old 25 Sep 2005, 20:30 (Ref:1416222)   #54
ascarmarshal
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Yorkshire
ascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmunky
Well said, and also i'm surprised the concept of country v country hadn't popped up before.
It has. I remember marshalling the Internations Cup rallycross at Croft in 1990. It consisted of teams of 6 drivers ( 3 Division 2 ( Group B) and 3 Division 1 (Group A) competeing for their country on a rallycross circuit. It was held like a normal rallycross meeting ie all drivers competed in 3 heats and the best 5 teams went through to the finals. In 1990 it was won by Norway
Old 25 Sep 2005, 20:37 (Ref:1416231)   #55
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
Rockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh, alrite then, though i may not have been born at that point so be nice
Still, i hope this series doesn't fade into obscurity
Old 25 Sep 2005, 20:37 (Ref:1416233)   #56
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
the formula ford festival has a nations cup.
Old 25 Sep 2005, 21:11 (Ref:1416275)   #57
ascarmarshal
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella
the formula ford festival has a nations cup.
Dont' you mean Formula Thud Festival
Old 25 Sep 2005, 21:51 (Ref:1416305)   #58
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmunky
1900. The Gordon Bennett Trophy.

Winners were always France, other than 1902 (Great Britain and Ireland) and 1903 (Germany). France had the right to host 1906, didn't bother cos of the 3 car per country limit and invented the Grand Prix where it was 3 cars per team. Italy as runner up had the right to host it then but couldn't be arsed. So from a car perspective it died a death.
Old 25 Sep 2005, 22:11 (Ref:1416333)   #59
Mr Jinxx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Isle of Man
Mr Jinxx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Race was great, Piquet's move was special, we had the best pit stop, atmosphere was fantastic, spectacle was brilliant, crowd loved it, it was a really good day.
Old 25 Sep 2005, 22:12 (Ref:1416335)   #60
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus
well it could have been better , just lack of action and overtaking , you could have just been watching an F1 race
or a v8 supercar race
Old 25 Sep 2005, 23:00 (Ref:1416395)   #61
L-B
Racer

Scotland
Fort William, Scotland
L-B should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There was also a nations cup thing in Formula Vauxhall Lotus or (Opel Lotus) in the early nineties. Held at Zandvoort iirc.
Old 25 Sep 2005, 23:41 (Ref:1416416)   #62
thejester
Veteran

New Zealand
Wellington
thejester should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was very, very impressed.

A very exciting meeting from a NZ point of view, obviously.

The national aspect is compelling. The action was exciting from beginning to end, with cars almost constantly in touch with each other. And this was a circuit where overtaking is difficult! Talent shows through, which is always good. The series looks like it will be close and hard-fought, though Piquet already displayed ominously confident car control. The pit stops were tense and affected the outcomes.

I had to laugh at the earlier poster who doubted Brazil would've passed Team GB had they not stalled - that's the kind of patriotic overstatement a national contest encourages!
I sat up until 3am my time to watch. The F1 was on at 5am, and was painfully dull by camparison - should have gone to bed.

Well done A1, one fan hooked. See you in a fortnight.
Old 26 Sep 2005, 07:02 (Ref:1416540)   #63
Gaz
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northwich, UK
Gaz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well firstly I'd like to say that I think watching it on TV and being at the circuit have given two different views of this series. By all accounts the TV coverage was pathetic but I was at the circuit so can't comment. You've gotta remember it was only the first meeting though, things such as the TV coverage will improve over time....ITV have been at it for years...and are still ****e!!

Right as for A1GP - one word - WOW! Nobody should doubt this series, this is the future of motor racing believe it. You can tell F1 are worried just listening to the different team bosses etc speak - they realise that they are gunna have to come out of their arrogant shells.

This series put everything thats wrong about F1 right in my opinion. The cars look and sound fantastic. I will never forget seeing Alvaro Parente broadside right infront of my eyes at Dingle Dell in qualifying and him saving it and carrying on. Something you would never, never see in F1 these days due to all that pathetic technology.

The qualifying was a little complicated but it was intrigueing all the same. It meant that drivers had to be consistent and it kept the interest up right the way through...and with drivers running flat out you really got to see just who was quickest....unlike F1.

As for the racing, after the first race I had my concerns but you have to remember this is the Brands GP circuit - I'm not a fan from a racing stand point. The circuit looks good, is faboulous for watching qualifying on and must be fabulous to drive but from a racing perspective its crap! There are no real places to overtake, even in a touring car let alone a big wide single seater so it was always going to be hard.

The feature race was a big improvement and offered great entertainment. That pass by Piquet will be remembered forever I'm sure as it really was special, however much in the past I've slated the guy he was on form this weekend and a class above - whether he can continue it in the future tho on circuits he doesn't know remains to be seen

I think the nation against nation thing works perfectly, there was real feel for national pride in amongst the crowd even if some glory hunters jumped on the Brazil bandwagon even though they were more likely from Skegness than Sao Paulo!

In conclusion, fabulous series, needs some improvement on the TV front apparently but trackside it was the business! I look forward in anticipation to the rest of the year and to A1 returning again next season!
Old 26 Sep 2005, 07:09 (Ref:1416544)   #64
Oaksnaf
Veteran

Australia
Oaksnaf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What type of access was there at the track to the back of the pits?
Old 26 Sep 2005, 07:14 (Ref:1416548)   #65
muzza4ever
Racer

England
Grim up North, UK
muzza4ever should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not had chance to see the Sky coverage yet but we were at Paddock Hill Bend both Sat & Sunday.

Firstly I'd like to say thanks to the staff at Brands- a really friendly bunch and nice facilities. JP has done wonders in 18 months. Maybe the BRDC could take some pointers on what needs to be done to Silverstone! The marshalls are the unsung, unpaid heroes of motorsport - excellent performance from what I saw in my comfyish chair trackside.

Secondly I was worried after the sprint race and said as much to the missus. But of course there were factors behind the "dullness" of the sprint - like the lack of t-cars - let's face it there was definitely an element of taking it steady so that they could start the main event. Also a lot of these drivers haven't had that many miles in these babies.

Thirdly the race was excellent - Thankfully the Lebanese driver was OK after a very dramatic roll. Good to see a wheel tether do it's job unlike F1. Piquet is obviously a class apart and hopefully the more experienced drivers like Verstappen and Firman can halt him walking away with it.

Props to Australia and New Zealand - Halliday especially for bring it from the back of the grid.

Reliability needs to be sorted - especially as commentators trackside were going on about how bullet proof the Zytek power plants were - lets extend that to the batteries eh chaps? ;-)

Were was Scott Speed? I'd heard good things about this guy...

Was interested to hear the top man at Lola in an interview say that there's potential for these cars to maybe get upto 600 - 650 Bhp - some of the drivers were struggling to control the power they had!

All in all a great value weekend - will probably camp next year and investigating the viability of the Portuguese & Durban rounds - good excuse to have a holiday in South Africa I reckon!

Roll on Germany!

Last edited by muzza4ever; 26 Sep 2005 at 07:18. Reason: typo
Old 26 Sep 2005, 07:43 (Ref:1416565)   #66
MiniMadness
Veteran

Canada
Glen Allen VA/Kent UK
MiniMadness should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaksnaf
What type of access was there at the track to the back of the pits?
Depends if you know how to get to some of the places. We managed to watch at Sheene and was even standling by the marshalls post at Stirlings. The cars sounded awesome there, but obviously no overtaking.

All in all a big thumbs up. I'm sure it will still improve, as drivers gain experience and hopefully the organisors might listen to the paying public for once.

Well done to Brazil, the class of the field yesterday.
Old 26 Sep 2005, 08:06 (Ref:1416580)   #67
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A very good weekend all in all, didnt think much of the first race though, there just wasnt much action at the front at all really. Race 2 however was a differnt story, a very good and exciting race IMO, shame team GB had problems but its only Round 1 theres plenty of time to improve.

This series is good, as good as GP2? I think i'll wait a few more rounds before passing judgement on that front but as it stands GP2 is still my favourite series. Still, both series are excellent and both attract big crowds and top drivers and teams. Lets just hope the 2 series can co exist peacefully.
Old 26 Sep 2005, 08:41 (Ref:1416606)   #68
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Big thumbs up for the first round. Gutted for Robbie and GB though.
Old 26 Sep 2005, 08:49 (Ref:1416612)   #69
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALEEN S7R
Still, both series are excellent and both attract big crowds and top drivers and teams
I don't see how you can say GP2 attracts big crowds when they go for the F1.

Personally, I used to love late 80s/early 90s F3000 until they made it support GPs and single-chassis rubbish.

Mind you, I went to a lot of the UK races and spectators numbered about 50.
Old 26 Sep 2005, 08:50 (Ref:1416613)   #70
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
To pick up an earlier point - there is no need for numbers really when there is a three letter identifier (GBR, FRA, AUS, etc.) that can be used in place of a number...
Old 26 Sep 2005, 08:54 (Ref:1416614)   #71
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Sowman
To pick up an earlier point - there is no need for numbers really when there is a three letter identifier (GBR, FRA, AUS, etc.) that can be used in place of a number...
Needs to be a bit bigger though, and perhaps on the rear wing endplates.

Took me until the middle of qualifying on Saturday to work out that the blue/red car was Russian and I started watching on Friday.
Old 26 Sep 2005, 08:57 (Ref:1416618)   #72
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes, there does seem to be a few too many red/white/blue cars, as a function of the proliferation of red/white/blue flags.
Old 26 Sep 2005, 08:59 (Ref:1416620)   #73
Ingsy
Racer

Ingsy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was in Grandstand A yesterday and to be honest, I think I would have preferred to have been at Paddock or something. Got stuck in traffic on the way there, so didn't arrive til half 9. By that time the general areas were so busy I didn't get chance to have a wander about, which I wanted to do. Couldn't even see how you could get to some places!

Anyway, the racing was ok. The atmosphere was much better. We were sitting near about 100 dutch fans who kept going mentalist whenever Jos the Boss appeared. I hope the series goes from strength to strength as the whole national pride thing works really well.

I don't see why people on here are going on about it taking over from F1. It's not in competition with F1. It's a completely different concept - and one that is working very well. Plus, it will take a lot more than A1 to bring F1 to its knees....
Old 26 Sep 2005, 09:02 (Ref:1416621)   #74
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think Brazil would have pipped GB in the end without the mechanical failure but think we would have been secure in second place. Piquet and the Brazil team had everything just right this weekend. Also what a pleasue it was to see everyone smilling and so happy.
Old 26 Sep 2005, 09:08 (Ref:1416628)   #75
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMiller
I don't see how you can say GP2 attracts big crowds when they go for the F1.
Yes but I think a huge number of people would still turn up for GP2 races too providing there was a decent support package. WSBR attracts big crowds after all, yes I know that a lot of the tickets for WSBR are given away free but theres still quite a few paying fans, and yes the tickets are free but the fans still make the effort to show up and lets face it depending on where you live it still costs quite a bit to get to and from races, free tickets or not.

That being the case I dont see any reason why GP2 woudnt attract big crowds, the driving talent is as good as what we have in A1 GP IMO if not a bit better. After all GP2 has top drivers like Kovalinen, Carroll, Pantano and Jani, none of whom are in A1 GP. Just because GP2 lives in F1's shadow doesent mean it woudnt attract big crowds especially if promoted as heavily as A1 GP has been. Put any series alongside F1 and the other series will inevitably live in F1's shadow.

GP2 has IMO superior drivers and the overall team levels are about the same between the 2 series, although the GP2 cars will be signifcantly faster in 2006 thanks to the series switching to slick tyres.