Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 29 Oct 2013, 09:20 (Ref:3324625)   #26
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtony View Post
Where did you get your figures?
Local sources are quoting a total weekend crowd of just over 175000 against 182000 last year. They are blaming reduced grandstand space because of track work on the light rail.
yeah made an miscalculation there, agree with your figures
Old 29 Oct 2013, 09:29 (Ref:3324631)   #27
champcarman
Veteran

champcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchampcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well said, Old Tony. The absolute truth!

Wow though, how good did the track look in that video back in the glory days of the Champ Car event.

Old Tony's crowd figures are correct with most of the reduction being on Sunday.

Hard to understand why V8 Supercars, under Warburton, were so keen for this event to continue, I thought his job was to increase income for the teams?
Old 29 Oct 2013, 09:31 (Ref:3324632)   #28
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by champcarman View Post

Hard to understand why V8 Supercars, under Warburton, were so keen for this event to continue, I thought his job was to increase income for the teams?
do you have income figures?
Old 29 Oct 2013, 09:40 (Ref:3324635)   #29
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAS33 View Post
they can't even fill seats in America (bar 1 race), Indycrap is dying a slow death, the cars are ugly, the drivers are amateurish, and the tracks are boring. If they were to come back there, watch the crowds disappear. Indycars are the povo version of F1.
An interesting view given that the Gold Coast event was at its biggest when the Indycars were racing there, and the current Indycar field is the deepest its ever been.
Old 29 Oct 2013, 10:03 (Ref:3324644)   #30
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtony View Post
Where did you get your figures?
Local sources are quoting a total weekend crowd of just over 175000 against 182000 last year. They are blaming reduced grandstand space because of track work on the light rail.
A fairly significant business figure told me it was a bit rich. A present and future disaster being blamed by an old disaster for making things worse.
By the way this guy was a big supporter of the event when it was open wheelers.
Personally I doubt if the current Indy circus could attract crowds like the Champcars did.
The problem with the current event is not so much car destruction as the fact that it is nit delivering the crowds of visitors, the big spenders or the International TV coverage. And those are the reasons for it being subsidised and it isn't working. It has in fact become a drag on business rather than a boost.

Have to agree, OT, we were discussing this within the marshalls group, what use to be there, the displays, the stands, coffe stalls, etc, years ago I took my children to the last indy, they had a ball, with everything going, on, this year I took my youngest, he went home early, asked me when I got home where did every thing go. To put blame on the light rail was a cop out, its been cut to bear bones to try to make a profit.

The track needs to be revitalised, even John Bowe says get rid of the stupid turn, bring back an international category, bring back the displays etc for the familys, otherwise you may as well have two events at the QR circuit. Warbuton waffles more for the families, well , there wasnt much this year, its slowly dying a slow death.
Old 29 Oct 2013, 10:04 (Ref:3324647)   #31
kiwi20
Racer

New Zealand
kiwi20 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Sunday figure being less than Friday and a lot less than Saturday is rather strange. It used to be Sunday had biggest crowds.
Old 29 Oct 2013, 11:43 (Ref:3324689)   #32
Gaz170
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast, QLD
Gaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sunday used to be the main race. Saturday now means just as much as Sunday, and better to party afterwards.
Old 29 Oct 2013, 21:59 (Ref:3324903)   #33
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by champcarman View Post
I believe the theory was to lock in the street races or marquee events (despite their decline) at reduced sanction incomes in order to make the package more attractive to sell to TV networks for 2015.
Old 30 Oct 2013, 08:46 (Ref:3325018)   #34
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
I believe the theory was to lock in the street races or marquee events (despite their decline) at reduced sanction incomes in order to make the package more attractive to sell to TV networks for 2015.
Plus have those events to build up from their current level - that'll take some work and time but can't build up what you don't have. Plenty of work for them to do though.
Old 30 Oct 2013, 09:09 (Ref:3325026)   #35
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Was there a concert on Sunday night?
Old 30 Oct 2013, 11:23 (Ref:3325061)   #36
v8man
Racer

v8man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzle View Post
No, only on Friday and Saturday nights
Old 31 Oct 2013, 02:28 (Ref:3325348)   #37
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Plus have those events to build up from their current level - that'll take some work and time but can't build up what you don't have. Plenty of work for them to do though.
The events are going backwards though?

Some observations from the weekend also suggest the promoter is withdrawing investment (doing it on the cheap was the wording) to help the bottom line. This isnt consistent with building the event up
Old 31 Oct 2013, 03:08 (Ref:3325358)   #38
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
New CEO who no doubt will want to make some changes DRT. To my mind, this Year's GC600 was much more 'real' than the previous versions. Something much better to build on for the core sporting side which should help.

On top of that, friends who went reported more of the party atmosphere coming back after the Anna Bligh 'wowser' years. It'll take some time for people to experience it, tell their friends & for the event to be built back up again ( hopefully).

In my view, the success or not of these key events over the next few years will be one of the big KPI's for Mr. Warburton.
Old 31 Oct 2013, 03:19 (Ref:3325363)   #39
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8man View Post
No, only on Friday and Saturday nights
Maybe the sunday crowd was a realistic number of "race fans" and the friday and saturday numbers were inflated by the "rock fans" who turn up after the racing is finished!

The year I went to Clipsal there was a shed load of people walking in to go to the concert after racing finished.
Old 31 Oct 2013, 03:45 (Ref:3325366)   #40
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
I really hope to get down to this event some time in my life.
Old 31 Oct 2013, 04:13 (Ref:3325369)   #41
Bell_End
Racer

Jamaica
Church Tower
Bell_End should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Maybe the sunday crowd was a realistic number of "race fans" and the friday and saturday numbers were inflated by the "rock fans" who turn up after the racing is finished!

The year I went to Clipsal there was a shed load of people walking in to go to the concert after racing finished.

shed loads leave to go to have some drinks and food in the city
Old 5 Nov 2013, 03:57 (Ref:3327365)   #42
Marcos WTF
Racer

Australia
On a former RAAF airfield
Marcos WTF is a back marker
I went for the first time. ( Thanks Shieldsy for the free passes & Dribble M too) Watched from the inside of the entrance to the main straight.

It's a different demographic to the usuall V8 spectators, the crowd was
less "Anglo" ie more ethnic minorities.

Plenty of eye candy too

Would I go again, no, not unless I could get an apartment for the week.
I can go to Bathurst for 10 days & spend less than a weeks food,grog & acommadation would cost me at Surfers.

An ugly track, restricted viewing. I'm glad I did it, but I wouldn't hurry back.
Old 5 Nov 2013, 08:08 (Ref:3327394)   #43
v8man
Racer

v8man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

To go to the concerts you had to have tickets to the races and pay an extra $19.95 if you wanted to attend the concerts afterwards so would of made it expensive just to attend the concert
Old 5 Nov 2013, 08:14 (Ref:3327396)   #44
pigs fly
Racer

Australia
327VOR 23DME BNE
pigs fly should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
MarcosWTF agree everything was over priced and track view was lousy apart from eye candy also my first and last time. Would rather spend whole day driving to Bathurst than go Surfers again.
Old 5 Nov 2013, 09:30 (Ref:3327411)   #45
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
what was more expensive than bathurst?
Old 5 Nov 2013, 10:40 (Ref:3327439)   #46
pigs fly
Racer

Australia
327VOR 23DME BNE
Food and drinks (water)
Old 5 Nov 2013, 10:45 (Ref:3327445)   #47
Marcos WTF
Racer

Australia
On a former RAAF airfield
Marcos WTF is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
what was more expensive than bathurst?
The whole package. At Bathurst I can stay, admittedly in a tent ( a big, warm, dry, well fed, big screen, pot belly stove, three fridges,carpet, toilet, equipped tent) for 10 days, with a 1000 K drive (split 4 ways).

And drink my own alcohol. I costed it out a few years ago. Maybe things have changed.
Old 5 Nov 2013, 21:00 (Ref:3327679)   #48
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
ah ok. I think i see. your comparing doing it on the cheap at Bathurst to doing it the fancy way at Gold Coast.

See at Bathurst I can stay at the $1000 a night hotel in the chase or stay at my firends place on the Gold Coast for free.

I can drink $9 of mid strength Jim beam at Bathurst or simply take a few can of Coke into the track at Gold Coast

Thus Bathurst is significantly more an expensive option

If your not going to compare apples with apples then its not really a good comparison
Old 5 Nov 2013, 21:10 (Ref:3327681)   #49
pigs fly
Racer

Australia
327VOR 23DME BNE
But I did Pecky, I brought a bottle of water and dagwood dog cost $9 now tell me that's not expensive.
Old 5 Nov 2013, 21:17 (Ref:3327689)   #50
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigs fly View Post
But I did Pecky, I brought a bottle of water and dagwood dog cost $9 now tell me that's not expensive.
It is expensive, same as what you pay at Bathurst though, or the football, or any other event, or a restaurant.