Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 10 Jun 2011, 14:50 (Ref:2895117)   #16
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
Tell you what I'm fed up with in motorsport, is leaders of bizarre projects such as these who tell us what they think the fans want.

The Delta Wing crew clearly have no idea what we're after.

I want racing cars that look like racing cars and sound like racing cars. They could run on nail clippings for all I care - so long as the sound is there. That's what most of us want.

This looks like something which might go for the land speed record, not victory at Le Mans. It's ridiculous.

Endurance racing will lose a lot of its true fans very quickly if cars begin to look like this.
Some say that racing can make alternative technologies "cool." Well, few people in or out of racing are going to think this thing is cool. This design was considered too ugly for the IRL. Think about that for a second. Too ugly for the IRL!

I'm not a complete stickler for aesthetic racing cars. I'm ok with some unattractive elements of cars if they are there to improve performance. That is the name of the game after all. This thing, however, is the answer to a question that nobody asked.

EDIT: Remember, this thing very well may take the spot of a potential class winning GTE car or a decent LMP. Ugh.
Old 10 Jun 2011, 14:51 (Ref:2895118)   #17
kingkai
Racer

Netherlands
Amsterdam
kingkai should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
Tell you what I'm fed up with in motorsport, is leaders of bizarre projects such as these who tell us what they think the fans want.

The Delta Wing crew clearly have no idea what we're after.

I want racing cars that look like racing cars and sound like racing cars. They could run on nail clippings for all I care - so long as the sound is there. That's what most of us want.

This looks like something which might go for the land speed record, not victory at Le Mans. It's ridiculous.

Endurance racing will lose a lot of its true fans very quickly if cars begin to look like this.
Indeed, they should look! and sound! like sportcars or sportcar prototype as the LMP now! not some child fetish racing where you make the sounds yourself with futuristic designs..
Old 10 Jun 2011, 14:55 (Ref:2895121)   #18
WolfsburgRS
Racer

United States
Baltimore, MD
WolfsburgRS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, the first thing I thought when I saw the Delta Wing was "That looks like something an 8 year old would draw on his notebook when bored in history class!"
Old 10 Jun 2011, 15:24 (Ref:2895142)   #19
the real Stig
Rookie

the real Stig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Try Hard View Post
You'll find the Deltawing does have front steering. I remember reading an article about how they had to be clever with the geometry to get enough lock (remember this was originally ment to be an indycar, for both oval and road course). Indeed, look at the video http://deltawingracing.com/2010/02/simulation-videos-2/
originally delta wing only had 3 wheels the from being a single non-steering fat tire, this was then changed to twin front tires to gain more credibility. It's was originally designed as rear steering which is one of the reasons why one of the engine designers in the league distanced it's self from the project. (I'm very close to Indy car racing & lemans design and this is what I know).

So may be to gain more credibility they've switched to front steer, only I'm guessing if they have they've not figured out how to do it yet. The under model has no cut outs for steering movement and even if it did I can't imagine how you package a pair of wishbones, springs, dampers and a rack is such a narrow package. I can't see the packaging it especially considering the lock required to negotiate chicanes and Arnarge.

The closest thing to delta wing I can think of is the Honda F1 land speed car.
Really light, no wings but big power.

I'm thinking this project is like Delorian, tax payers beware. (government funding for green energy research)
Old 10 Jun 2011, 15:39 (Ref:2895152)   #20
picchiofan
Racer

Iran
picchiofan User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGD View Post
EDIT: Remember, this thing very well may take the spot of a potential class winning GTE car or a decent LMP. Ugh.
There's 4-5 "decent" LMP cars and about 6-7 GT cars on this year's list out of 55, so I don't think you really need to worry.
Old 10 Jun 2011, 15:45 (Ref:2895156)   #21
Andy77
Veteran

Andy77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This thing looks like a sidecar attached to an F1 rear !

Spaceballs, here we come
Old 10 Jun 2011, 15:52 (Ref:2895160)   #22
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What's most laughable is the, "That monstrosity doesn't belong in my Le Mans!" posts. Maybe you could turn to spec racing to keep the ugly little things out, then. Le Mans is perfect for the Delta Wing. I find it hilarious some of you are so scared by this little thing. I could understand it from the open wheel crowd, where the cars and the technology hasn't been revolutionized as much as evolved. But from the sportscar crowd? With the open rules and vast diversity of cars in the field? Good god. You'll still get your throaty V8's and your singing V10's. FFS, if you don't like it, just ignore it.
Old 10 Jun 2011, 15:54 (Ref:2895161)   #23
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by picchiofan View Post
There's 4-5 "decent" LMP cars and about 6-7 GT cars on this year's list out of 55, so I don't think you really need to worry.
I don't know about that. There are many contenders for the LMP2 win. A reduction in entries could have left one of those contenders off. I think more than 6 or 7 cars have a shot at the GTE-Pro win much less the GTE-Am win. Last year the Lieb/Lietz Porsche started off on the reserve list as well as the Fisi AF Corse 430. It would have been a real shame not to have those cars, but fortunately those entries got in because some GT1s did not make it.
Old 10 Jun 2011, 15:55 (Ref:2895162)   #24
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 has a real shot at the championship!broadrun96 has a real shot at the championship!broadrun96 has a real shot at the championship!broadrun96 has a real shot at the championship!broadrun96 has a real shot at the championship!broadrun96 has a real shot at the championship!
I'm confused as to how close you could be when reading multiple links with interviews with the designers no mention was ever made of it having been a 3 wheeler at any point. In fact they mentioned a couple time that the tight front dimensions made packaging the front suspension was a no-brainer return to dual wishbones with spring and dampers between them. And since the suspension is internal, the components could be built purely for maximum strength without aero needs to compromise design; they referred to both thin-walled round tubing or milled aluminum I-beam designs. It sounds like they have made rolling chassis and have tested the car in a rolling road wind tunnel with Firestone who have developed new fronts (4" wide custom molded) and re-purposed rears (Indy Lights front tires). At the very least Firestone has load tested the tires they developed for the car so far and are comfortable with putting the tires on a track safely.

http://www.gordonkirby.com/categorie..._is_no238.html was posted earlier this year in response to Indy, not sportscars but think the information still applies. And no I'm not a fan of the design, and not sure it would work for multi-class racing and almost positive it will take some adjustment for drivers to remember the rear width.
Old 10 Jun 2011, 16:01 (Ref:2895167)   #25
picchiofan
Racer

Iran
picchiofan User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
I don't know about that. There are many contenders for the LMP2 win. A reduction in entries could have left one of those contenders off. I think more than 6 or 7 cars have a shot at the GTE-Pro win much less the GTE-Am win. Last year the Lieb/Lietz Porsche started off on the reserve list as well as the Fisi AF Corse 430. It would have been a real shame not to have those cars, but fortunately those entries got in because some GT1s did not make it.
No one cares about LMP2. No one.
Old 10 Jun 2011, 16:01 (Ref:2895168)   #26
AGD
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptclaus98 View Post
What's most laughable is the, "That monstrosity doesn't belong in my Le Mans!" posts. Maybe you could turn to spec racing to keep the ugly little things out, then. Le Mans is perfect for the Delta Wing. I find it hilarious some of you are so scared by this little thing. I could understand it from the open wheel crowd, where the cars and the technology hasn't been revolutionized as much as evolved. But from the sportscar crowd? With the open rules and vast diversity of cars in the field? Good god. You'll still get your throaty V8's and your singing V10's. FFS, if you don't like it, just ignore it.
But the thing is that this car does not fit within the rules. It is a special unclassified entry designed to showcase special technology. The two reserves for the special entry are, at least IMO, more willing than this thing. Plus, there are the safety concerns.

V10s will pretty much be extinct at Le Mans next year. That's a different story though.
Old 10 Jun 2011, 16:05 (Ref:2895172)   #27
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
But the thing is that this car does not fit within the rules. It is a special unclassified entry designed to showcase special technology. The two reserves for the special entry are, at least IMO, more willing than this thing. Plus, there are the safety concerns.

V10s will pretty much be extinct at Le Mans next year. That's a different story though.
How? They're normal cars with electric power. Pesca started that bandwagon 6 years ago. This is a potential revolution in car design. In every facet.
Old 10 Jun 2011, 16:06 (Ref:2895174)   #28
AGD
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by picchiofan View Post
No one cares about LMP2. No one.
Nonetheless, it is a class according to the rules and it is a fairly popular category. Well, at least in Europe it is. There's a good chance that a full-time LMS LMP2 team who has been loyal to ACO racing that could win the class will be left on the sidelines so the Sausagemobile can run unclassified demo laps.
Old 10 Jun 2011, 16:17 (Ref:2895181)   #29
AGD
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptclaus98 View Post
How? They're normal cars with electric power. Pesca started that bandwagon 6 years ago. This is a potential revolution in car design. In every facet.
I really can't imagine car manufacturers having any interest in that concept. At least there is interest from the OEMs in electric motors. The Deltawing concept can run in any old spec car class. It's not like it's a design that needs to be tested in endurance racing. An electric car going the distance with decent speed would be quite a statement.

Of course, ideally something like the 918 RSR or even the Porsche GT3 hybrid that ran at Petit last year would be the 56th entry. That would combine technology, performance, endurance, and sensual appeal.
Old 10 Jun 2011, 16:19 (Ref:2895184)   #30
the real Stig
Rookie

the real Stig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
I'm confused as to how close you could be when reading multiple links with interviews with the designers no mention was ever made of it having been a 3 wheeler at any point.
Close enough to know a bunch of stuff that never appears in press releases or forums.