Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 13 May 2017, 13:19 (Ref:3733201)   #1576
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Some years ago I took a picture of a group of glamorous young ladies in the Paddock at the British Grand Prix, and posted it on the BBC local radio web site, where some eagle eyed younker identified them as 'Girls Aloud'.

Who ever they were.

Oh! Did I ever mention that I have interviewed Tamara Ecclestone?

Did Tamara get the job??
Old 13 May 2017, 13:31 (Ref:3733206)   #1577
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
That's a shame, he'll miss the TT. Wonder why Honda withdrew the bikes Guy Martin was due to ride?
Not too sure, on the face of it sounds somewhat suspicious but I'm not well enough informed, I have an interest in just about all things with wheels and engines and McGuiness is a bit of a legend but a you say it does seem strange that Honda have withdrawn his team mate's bike as well.
Old 13 May 2017, 13:33 (Ref:3733207)   #1578
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Did Tamara get the job??
Old 13 May 2017, 14:36 (Ref:3733229)   #1579
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
The trouble with people on this forum is that they can't take anything seriously, and try to make a joke out of everything. I find it quite depressing.
Old 13 May 2017, 15:12 (Ref:3733231)   #1580
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
I must admit to not knowing who Girls Allowed or Tamara Ecclestone are
Old 13 May 2017, 15:46 (Ref:3733236)   #1581
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Richard, H E Nunn was national, part of the Mann Egerton and subsequently Inchcape empire. (But wasn't the NW home of another big Ford group?) The Norwich branch supplied all the unmarked police Capris, so I always knew the registration numbers and colours. Not that I ever broke any motoring laws, of course!
Yeah, Mike, Manchester had three main Ford dealers - Nunns about a couple of miles north of the centre, Manchester Garages a bit to the South, and Quicks who had one near Trafford Park IIRC, plus smaller branches such as one near me in Bury. I remember Nunns changing owner - or at least name, probably sometime in the 70s, but I'd moved away for work then.
Old 13 May 2017, 15:59 (Ref:3733241)   #1582
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
I understand the former are what was termed a female popular music combo........whereas the latter is a poor lass doomed to struggle by on whatever crumbs father Bernie allows her (and her sister)
Old 13 May 2017, 16:10 (Ref:3733242)   #1583
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
I understand the former are what was termed a female popular music combo........whereas the latter is a poor lass doomed to struggle by on whatever crumbs father Bernie allows her (and her sister)
Being interviewed by Three Counties Radio's answer to Piers Morgan is sure to have assisted Tamara's career to dizzying new heights, more so than anything her father could have done for her................
Old 13 May 2017, 16:10 (Ref:3733243)   #1584
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Yeah, Mike, Manchester had three main Ford dealers - Nunns about a couple of miles north of the centre, Manchester Garages a bit to the South, and Quicks who had one near Trafford Park IIRC, plus smaller branches such as one near me in Bury. I remember Nunns changing owner - or at least name, probably sometime in the 70s, but I'd moved away for work then.
H & J Quick was the one I was trying to remember! They were big group. My favourite Ford dealer though will always be Withers of Winsford, for their rallying support and exploits....

And IMHO Little Mix far better than those other groups mentioned.

Oh, and I've had a text from Most- Our Delta most anxious that he is kept informed of...... Reading v Fulham match tonight.
Old 13 May 2017, 16:21 (Ref:3733245)   #1585
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
That's nothing.... I have to admit I don't know who you are.....

jimclark
Old 13 May 2017, 16:51 (Ref:3733250)   #1586
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

With all this talk of old motors, my first was 107E followed by Taunus engined and disc braked 100E van. Fav probably one of the 205 GTis I had- red 1.9 phase 2 with no sun roof. Far more fun and usable than the E30 M3 Evo II or 964 RS that followed.....
But the 964RS is probably worth about £200K now.
Old 13 May 2017, 17:31 (Ref:3733257)   #1587
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
But the 964RS is probably worth about £200K now.
Don't remind me! The M3 would be fairly valuable as well....

The Porker was one of the most uncomfortable road cars I've ever driven, BMW not bad and beautifully built. But for everyday usable performance (without breaking the bank), the 205 was King!
Old 14 May 2017, 06:00 (Ref:3733327)   #1588
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Don't remind me! The M3 would be fairly valuable as well....

The Porker was one of the most uncomfortable road cars I've ever driven, BMW not bad and beautifully built. But for everyday usable performance (without breaking the bank), the 205 was King!
The RS received fairly poor reviews when new. Strange how things turn out, but I bet many of them not actually driven now.

The 205 would still be useable today. I actually preferred my 309 Gti but not as pretty.

Agree about the M3.

I have kept, and use, my Quattro and not yet too valuable to use, but getting close.
Old 14 May 2017, 07:41 (Ref:3733335)   #1589
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Oh, and I've had a text from Most- Our Delta most anxious that he is kept informed of...... Reading v Fulham match tonight.
Draw, 1 all.
Old 14 May 2017, 07:49 (Ref:3733337)   #1590
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Originally Posted by Mike Bell

And I have not heard of either of them.
Old 14 May 2017, 11:22 (Ref:3733361)   #1591
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
The RS received fairly poor reviews when new. Strange how things turn out, but I bet many of them not actually driven now.

The 205 would still be useable today. I actually preferred my 309 Gti but not as pretty.

Agree about the M3.

I have kept, and use, my Quattro and not yet too valuable to use, but getting close.
I had one second hand 309GTi, less tricky at the limit and standard PAS, but that's about it! And of course more room inside if you need it....

It is a problem having to decide if a car is too valuable to use. My RS1600 is used for dry summer local trips, but that's all.

The 964RS suffered from being in production just as a recession arrived. They'd allotted 100 cars to the UK but don't think sold that many. If my memory is correct, apart from the 911 Club Sport (now also valuable ), Porsche hadn't produced a 'lightweight' since the original 73/74 RS, and the 964 was compared unfavourably with it by the press. Probably with some justification- the 70s model was still a comfortable road car despite being stripped out, whereas the 90s RS had suspension lifted straight from the Carrera Cup race car. It was true lightweight though- alloy panels, thinner glass, lighter wheels, bit more BHP, non adjustable bucket seats, pull cords for interior door handles, no a/c etc. The U.K. cars did have PAS though, whereas the home market did without. Puny Brits......
Old 14 May 2017, 11:26 (Ref:3733362)   #1592
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Draw, 1 all.
Yes, I kept him updated all the way through the match. Was he too busy fettling cars to be able to check himself? No, he was at the posh do 'at the castle'.......
Old 14 May 2017, 13:57 (Ref:3733405)   #1593
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Yes, I kept him updated all the way through the match. Was he too busy fettling cars to be able to check himself? No, he was at the posh do 'at the castle'.......
Hmm. So making the most of the event then ....
Old 14 May 2017, 15:49 (Ref:3733429)   #1594
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Hmm. So making the most of the event then ....
What do you think!
Old 14 May 2017, 20:35 (Ref:3733496)   #1595
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Don't normally enjoy all the away motor racing gatherings and dinners . Too blooming knackard to talk and be nice to people . I really did enjoy this night out . Just wandered around chatting.got up first in que for dinner . The view was amazing from the castle . Anyway parked up for night . 430 miles to Calais so making early start to get home . Will go to readingvthesday eveningvfor return leg . Cheers for all the support guys . We had great time in Most .All five Delta cars finished and had good races . BTW there was some nut case on a motor bike doing stunts dinner time . He was just incredible
Old 14 May 2017, 21:15 (Ref:3733507)   #1596
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Don't normally enjoy all the away motor racing gatherings and dinners . Too blooming knackard to talk and be nice to people . I really did enjoy this night out . Just wandered around chatting.got up first in que for dinner . The view was amazing from the castle . Anyway parked up for night . 430 miles to Calais so making early start to get home . Will go to readingvthesday eveningvfor return leg . Cheers for all the support guys . We had great time in Most .All five Delta cars finished and had good races . BTW there was some nut case on a motor bike doing stunts dinner time . He was just incredible
Safe journey home
Old 15 May 2017, 08:15 (Ref:3733571)   #1597
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I had one second hand 309GTi, less tricky at the limit and standard PAS, but that's about it! And of course more room inside if you need it....

It is a problem having to decide if a car is too valuable to use. My RS1600 is used for dry summer local trips, but that's all.

The 964RS suffered from being in production just as a recession arrived. They'd allotted 100 cars to the UK but don't think sold that many. If my memory is correct, apart from the 911 Club Sport (now also valuable ), Porsche hadn't produced a 'lightweight' since the original 73/74 RS, and the 964 was compared unfavourably with it by the press. Probably with some justification- the 70s model was still a comfortable road car despite being stripped out, whereas the 90s RS had suspension lifted straight from the Carrera Cup race car. It was true lightweight though- alloy panels, thinner glass, lighter wheels, bit more BHP, non adjustable bucket seats, pull cords for interior door handles, no a/c etc. The U.K. cars did have PAS though, whereas the home market did without. Puny Brits......
I remember a garage in Brussels having an unused 964 RS sat there and saying no one wanted such an unusable bit of kit and it was a question of how much the owner lost on it!
I doubt that they are any more usable these days but presumably the amount an owner expects to use such things has reduced significantly.

My 911 Club Sport wasn't exactly comfortable, not much suspension and it didn't just wander it almost jumped at high speeds - but it was cheap!
Old 15 May 2017, 08:59 (Ref:3733581)   #1598
bauble
Veteran

England
When I fitted (somehow) a Rally Seat into my Hillman Hunter it improved the handling no end.
Old 15 May 2017, 17:41 (Ref:3733646)   #1599
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
When I fitted (somehow) a Rally Seat into my Hillman Hunter it improved the handling no end.
Same thing with my bog standard Ford Anglia, incredible performance gain!
Old 15 May 2017, 18:13 (Ref:3733660)   #1600
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
I couldn't afford seats so fitted those bolstered covers you could get to my 107E! Did spend money on 5.5" wheels, those ones where they were sliced in two and a band welded in. Those were the days....

Ah, my boat has come in, have to go.