Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides MotorsportAds  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 21 Jan 2017, 19:52 (Ref:3704117)   #16
P38 in workshop
Racer

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I can understand why people are critical of Bernie.I think the criticism is misdirected as he was only doing what his bosses at CVC required,namely making money that went into the CVC coffers.Given that he succeeded in their cause I see no reason why Liberty should seek to oust him as he is in possession of his faculties and knows more about the business than anybody else.In view if his advancing years I can see the logic of appointing somebody to shadow Bernie so that the business can carry on if he becomes incapacitated.I hope that doesn't happen for a long time as I get a lot of amusement from his comments and I wish he would commit his memoirs to a safe storage facility to be published a couple of years after his demise.It would be enlightening to know the whole story.
Old 21 Jan 2017, 20:13 (Ref:3704120)   #17
Greem
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Loughborough
Greem is going for a new world record!Greem is going for a new world record!Greem is going for a new world record!Greem is going for a new world record!Greem is going for a new world record!Greem is going for a new world record!Greem is going for a new world record!
Posted elsewhere, but just as valid here:

On the one hand, F1 wouldn't be where it is in world sport & business without Bernie.

On the other hand, F1 wouldn't be where it is in world sport & business without Bernie...
Old 21 Jan 2017, 20:17 (Ref:3704122)   #18
djinvicta
Subscriber
Veteran

Wales
French France
djinvicta should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjinvicta should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjinvicta should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Exactly Greem..He made a couple of bob over the years..
Old 21 Jan 2017, 20:24 (Ref:3704124)   #19
SidewaysFeltham
Racer

United Kingdom
UK and France
SidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapezeArtist View Post

I'm uncomfortable about the possibility of Liberty turning F1 into some sort of All-American Superbowl Show that plays to the lowest common denominator. But for the moment we just have to wait and see.
Which surely, is precisely what they will do?

The Poison Dwarf's money machine turbocharged.

So sadly, GP racing fell prey to the big money many years ago: once sponsors became involved, it was they, rather than the FIA calling the shots.

The unholy duopoly of Mosley at the FIA and Ecclestone, planned the demise of what had once been a sport.

I well remember Moss being interviewed on BBC radio quite some years ago, by a typical Beeb girlie, bubbling over with nonsensical waffling.

Sterling most graciously corrected her constant misuse of the word "Sport"; he said:

"Oh my dear, Formula One today is not a sport; and hasn't been for many years! It is a business; and a jolly good business, too! Michael Schumacher earns more in one week than I earned in my whole professional racing career!".

Probably, the crux point was reached when instead of regularly changing the regulations (To encourage and germinate advances), narrow self-interests (here read sponsors), threatened the FIA with boycotts etc on the single selfish "justification" of "The huge sums we have already invested".

Worth perhaps remembering how GP racing evolved post WWII.

Originally, older late 1930s cars were used of circa 4.5 Litre. Then the 2.5 Litre class became the standard. Spawning a magic early World Championship series of wonderful cars such as the Maserati 250F, Vanwall, Ferrari, Cooper et al.

This changed to 1.5 litre for the 1961 season until 1966; when engine size became max 3 Litre.

From the 1970s onwards it all became rather silly; from 1980 on it was purely and simply a business.

Which has followed the route of football, tennis and everything else.
Old 21 Jan 2017, 20:33 (Ref:3704125)   #20
djinvicta
Subscriber
Veteran

Wales
French France
djinvicta should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjinvicta should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjinvicta should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Good post. We should have a "like" button...
Old 21 Jan 2017, 20:51 (Ref:3704128)   #21
Greem
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Loughborough
Greem is going for a new world record!Greem is going for a new world record!Greem is going for a new world record!Greem is going for a new world record!Greem is going for a new world record!Greem is going for a new world record!Greem is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by djinvicta View Post
Good post. We should have a "like" button...
We do, of sorts. It's the 'scales' thing in the left hand pane of each post (in the web view).
Old 22 Jan 2017, 00:02 (Ref:3704157)   #22
Richard Casto
Subscriber
Veteran

United States
Durham, NC, USA
Richard Casto is going for a new world record!Richard Casto is going for a new world record!Richard Casto is going for a new world record!Richard Casto is going for a new world record!Richard Casto is going for a new world record!Richard Casto is going for a new world record!Richard Casto is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
We do, of sorts. It's the 'scales' thing in the left hand pane of each post (in the web view).
Sadly, the reputation system here is not very intuitive to use.

Richard
Old 22 Jan 2017, 00:02 (Ref:3704158)   #23
Richard Casto
Subscriber
Veteran

United States
Durham, NC, USA
Richard Casto is going for a new world record!Richard Casto is going for a new world record!Richard Casto is going for a new world record!Richard Casto is going for a new world record!Richard Casto is going for a new world record!Richard Casto is going for a new world record!Richard Casto is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Posted elsewhere, but just as valid here:

On the one hand, F1 wouldn't be where it is in world sport & business without Bernie.

On the other hand, F1 wouldn't be where it is in world sport & business without Bernie...
Completely agree!

Richard
Old 22 Jan 2017, 03:09 (Ref:3704168)   #24
F1Guy
Racer

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Guy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Sadly, the reputation system here is not very intuitive to use.

Richard
Agree. Maybe if the scales could be changed to a thumbs up icon, more people would know what it's for and use it.
Old 22 Jan 2017, 03:16 (Ref:3704170)   #25
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I doubt i'll be watching with much interest... it's been pretty dead to me for some time.

I just want simple cars, with simple aero, big tyres, and stupid power. I won't get any of that, don't really care to watch parade laps.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 22 Jan 2017, 09:12 (Ref:3704205)   #26
old man
Subscriber
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
We are certainly in for a period of great changes with growing interest in virtual racing. The $Million race in Las Vegas is a sign of the times and with enthusiasts able to race from home for a few quid actual attendance and interest in "real" racing is under threat. With the owners of F1 in the media business they will utilise the Internet to make profit and grow their market.

Internet races are a pale imitation of the real thing to my eyes but they do allow participation rather than just watching. Without the original they would not exist but if the real thing fails to satisfy and excite attention will switch.

Historic racing has never been more popular and the cars never more interesting and valuable.
Old 22 Jan 2017, 09:27 (Ref:3704209)   #27
bauble
Veteran

England
Bedfordshire
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A well know racing driver, later commentator once told me that things would not change until Bernie had gone (?) because he knew where the bodies were buried.

Probably a lot of truth in that.
Old 22 Jan 2017, 11:31 (Ref:3704230)   #28
SidewaysFeltham
Racer

United Kingdom
UK and France
SidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
oss
Quote:
Originally Posted by old man View Post
We are certainly in for a period of great changes with growing interest in virtual racing. The $Million race in Las Vegas is a sign of the times and with enthusiasts able to race from home for a few quid actual attendance and interest in "real" racing is under threat. With the owners of F1 in the media business they will utilise the Internet to make profit and grow their market.

Internet races are a pale imitation of the real thing to my eyes but they do allow participation rather than just watching. Without the original they would not exist but if the real thing fails to satisfy and excite attention will switch.

Historic racing has never been more popular and the cars never more interesting and valuable.
A very significant point.

The true and somewhat knowledgable enthusiast died many years back.

F1 became a carnival. As really did most heavily sponsored classes of racing. Saloons being one of the worst; a cross between banger racing and money. The net result was circuit costs and regulations rose to the stratosphere.

In the late 1960s, an acquaintance of mine, Len Selby, competed in the European Formula III championship, driving an already outclassed Cooper BMC. (The works XSP 998C.C. screamer).

Len was then single, saved up sufficient of his own cash and drove around Europe to every circuit, towing his race car behind an MGB drop-head, into which another racing chum installed a London taxi diesel engine! I helped on the last couple of days. Len lived in a tent in the paddocks; cooking his own food on a primus stove!

Impossible now: far too expensive.

However, Len met his passion and dream. Incredible achievement.

And this is the core problem when a genuine sport is driven simply and solely by filthy lucre.

Take tennis; my other love when young. Once Mark McCormac entered the fray, then such as the once hallowed All England Club was driven by money and media-created "Stars". On Court behaviour became appalling; since the organisers refrained from banning players when they had teenager type hissy fits of temper and extremely poor sportsmanship, mainly since their gate receipts were wholly dependent upon these normal gifted players who had been elevated, by the mass media to ill-deserved stardom.

Same now with FI:Hamilton, IMHO, is the exemplar of lack of class and dignity. He behaves as if he is a rock star; pillock.

Gone are the gentlemanly days of Hill, Clark, Brooks, Brabham, Surtees, etc etc.

Clearly, the young are fixated on fantasy: inhabiting a virtual cyber-world of shoot-em-up games, loud noises, demons and dragons et al. Virtual F1 racing, where no one is seriously injured or killed; players can destroy car after car with no cost penalty and there is always a new car waiting, is just their cup of imaginary tea.

Unfortunately, the real World isn't like this.

I recently re-read Fangio's autobiography and life story, edited and much assisted by his lifelong friend and manager, Marcello Giambertone in 1961.

Places it all much in perspective, for myself.

I am extremely lucky and count myself most fortunate to have been involved during the closing years of the greatest human sporting activity ever.

We shall never ever see it again.
Old 22 Jan 2017, 13:29 (Ref:3704237)   #29
bauble
Veteran

England
Bedfordshire
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well said Crossed up Aston. Fangio is the ultimate sporting icon for me.

The most impressive sight I have seen in the last few years was Frank Stippler driving a 250F at the Revival, complete commitment, and beautiful car control, the closets thing to 'real racing' since 1958.

Ain't it grand to be ancient?
Old 22 Jan 2017, 15:07 (Ref:3704245)   #30
chris bailey
Racer

chris bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whatever your opinion of Bernie, it's hard to point to an era when F1 was truly a sport. It's always been a showcase for engineering excellence, and manufacturer interest/support has always influenced the outcomes. If there was ever a point when the sport became accessible to normal human beings, it was the 1970's, when you could buy a DFV for relatively little money, build a car from some bits of alloy sheet and fibreglass and persuade some local hero to risk his neck in it. You could turn up for one race and give it a go alongside the regulars. It allowed the likes of James Hunt amongst others to find a way in, and the likes of Maki/Lec/Ensign/Amon etc to grace (?) the racetrack. Unfortunately perhaps, the racing became rather good, just as TV started to see the potential, but entertainment was an incidental by-product which was then seized upon by Bernie to turn the "sport" into what we have today.

Despite my fondness for the 1970's, it has to be said that the cars today are the most amazing pieces of engineering we've ever seen, so on that basis, F1 is at its best point ever. Whether it entertains the masses is of no consequence at all, if you follow the original ethos......

If you want entertainment, watch NASCAR!