Old 4 Oct 2010, 22:30 (Ref:2769477)   #26
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.C. View Post
My 2 cents...

If Porsche does come into F1, it wont be till after 2013. Because if the new F1 engine rules. I see them coming in as ONLY a engine supplier.

What team? I think either Williams, Toro Rosso. MAYBE Red Bull Racing, and McLaren. The reason why I said McLaren, because McLaren sign with Mercedes till 2015 (i think). But It could be cut short. We all know how it is in F1, contracts could be terminated early.

Besides McLaren and Porsche does have history together.
Williams and Red Bull most likely.
Old 5 Oct 2010, 06:18 (Ref:2769569)   #27
Peralta
Veteran

Mexico
Guadalajara Jalisco
Peralta is a back marker
How about Sauber-Porsche. Now that Telmex will partner with Sauber maybe they can get the Porsche deal or rebadge them as Volkswagen which is very big in Mexico.
Old 5 Oct 2010, 09:21 (Ref:2769634)   #28
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peralta View Post
How about Sauber-Porsche. Now that Telmex will partner with Sauber maybe they can get the Porsche deal or rebadge them as Volkswagen which is very big in Mexico.
Yes indeed, that sounds like a decent possibility - the links in the chain are there as you say.
Old 5 Oct 2010, 11:43 (Ref:2769716)   #29
Wims
Veteran

Norway
Wims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I dont know. Sauber has always been Ferraris 'b' team.
Old 5 Oct 2010, 12:18 (Ref:2769732)   #30
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Now's the chance to become Porsche's A team.
Old 5 Oct 2010, 17:26 (Ref:2769882)   #31
J.C.
Racer

United States
Sleepy Hollow, New York
J.C. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
idk, I still say Williams will be the first team, because Williams and Porsche have a small partnership with the Flywheel KERS Systems, and the Porsche Hybird Car.

I still also say Toro Rosso. Because VW is a supplier sponsor for the team.

I don't think Red Bull Racing, because they want to get there hands on a Mercedes engine. Don't know if it will happen, but maybe it will.

I see Sauber switching to Mercedes power in the coming years.

But I still say McLaren could switch to Porsche power after there contract is up with Mercedes in 2015. Porsche wont come in till after 2013 (engine supplier only) I still say the contract could end a year or two early.
Old 6 Oct 2010, 13:30 (Ref:2770317)   #32
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix;
In the history of the Constructors Championship, there have only been two car manufacturers who have one it - Ferrari and Renault...

However there have been 10 engine manufacturers that have won...
that just sounds too crazy to be true, but it is. I suppose you could say Honda came close but close doesn't account for much. if past history is anything to go by, the only conclusion I can draw is the the 'manufacturer era' has been a complete failure. not just in terms of victory but also in terms of the condition of the sport and the spend spend spend attitude all the teams have now adopted to the detriment of sustainable development.

when I first read the story I though wow what great news, but your perspective on it makes me now think its better if the manu's just stick to what they know and supply engines.
Old 6 Oct 2010, 14:57 (Ref:2770354)   #33
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
In the history of the Constructors Championship, there have only been two car manufacturers who have one it - Ferrari and Renault
Ever heard of Lotus? Manufacturers and winners of many constructors titles (7 WCC's I think, to go with the 6 WDC titles.)

Actually whilst on the subject, you also overlooked Matra, French car manufacturers, who won the WDC & WCC in 1969.

McLaren have also manufactured cars since launching the F1 (3 seater) roadcar project in the early 1990's... more latterly they built the McLaren Mercedes Sports Coupe at their Woking factory, and of course they are soon to be marketing (it has already been released to the world) their own range of road cars.

You could also say Alfa, Maserati and Mercedes came close, winning WDC's in the years immediately prior to the WCC being introduced in 1958. They likely would have won the WCC to back their Drivers titles had there been a WCC from the start of the WDC. But I am splitting hairs really, the point you make is very valid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
That only leaves Honda and Porsche who have previously won (in other people's chassis) but are not racing in F1 today.
I know you are probably talking of Championships here, but both Honda and Porsche won races in their own chassis, powered by their own engines. (Honda won 3, one each in 1965, 1967 and of course 2006), Porsche winning the 1962 French GP in the hands of Gurney.

Last edited by E.B; 6 Oct 2010 at 15:03.
Old 6 Oct 2010, 16:53 (Ref:2770404)   #34
phoenix
Veteran

European Union
phoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridphoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Ever heard of Lotus? Manufacturers and winners of many constructors titles (7 WCC's I think, to go with the 6 WDC titles.)

Actually whilst on the subject, you also overlooked Matra, French car manufacturers, who won the WDC & WCC in 1969.

McLaren have also manufactured cars since launching the F1 (3 seater) roadcar project in the early 1990's... more latterly they built the McLaren Mercedes Sports Coupe at their Woking factory, and of course they are soon to be marketing (it has already been released to the world) their own range of road cars.

You could also say Alfa, Maserati and Mercedes came close, winning WDC's in the years immediately prior to the WCC being introduced in 1958. They likely would have won the WCC to back their Drivers titles had there been a WCC from the start of the WDC. But I am splitting hairs really, the point you make is very valid.

I know you are probably talking of Championships here, but both Honda and Porsche won races in their own chassis, powered by their own engines. (Honda won 3, one each in 1965, 1967 and of course 2006), Porsche winning the 1962 French GP in the hands of Gurney.
I was suggesting that Porsche would be only the third car manufacturer to become WCC winners if they produced a winning engine and chassis. Lotus never won with a Lotus engine, Matra didn't win with their own engine, McLaren have never won with their own engine - though maybe one day? Similarly Mercedes haven't - yet. Who knows what Rosberg & co can manage in 2011?

I don't think 'nearly' winning would suit Porsche - they wouldn't want to be just another Honda, Alfa Romeo, BMW effort that failed. Providing only winning engines rather than cars has never harmed Ford/Cosworth, Tag Porsche, Honda or Mercedes however.
Old 6 Oct 2010, 19:00 (Ref:2770486)   #35
manthey
Racer

manthey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/News/Se...Le-Mans-teams/
Old 8 Oct 2010, 00:46 (Ref:2771161)   #36
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post

1969 WDC was Jackie Stewart driving a Matra-Ford for Ken Tyrrel.
Matra built the chassis, but then sold it to Tyrrel who ran it for JYS.
Old 8 Oct 2010, 01:06 (Ref:2771169)   #37
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
1969 WDC was Jackie Stewart driving a Matra-Ford for Ken Tyrrel.
Matra built the chassis, but then sold it to Tyrrel who ran it for JYS.
The chassis was the MS80. The team was run as a non works team, though under the auspices of 'Matra International'.
Old 8 Oct 2010, 16:44 (Ref:2771524)   #38
alc
Rookie

alc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridalc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Skoda clearly. Or Bugatti. Or Lambo. Or Bentley again? Having said that I have ignored the obvious; Scania and MAN.
A I right in thinking that the diesel land speed record is held by JCB ? Bring on Team JCB in F1
Old 8 Oct 2010, 16:49 (Ref:2771526)   #39
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by alc View Post
A I right in thinking that the diesel land speed record is held by JCB ? Bring on Team JCB in F1
Old 8 Oct 2010, 20:50 (Ref:2771650)   #40
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Surprised no one has linked to this article http://motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=390309&FS=F1 Official says Porsche can afford OWN TEAM. In other words, not an engine manufacturer, but a constructor as well.
Old 8 Oct 2010, 20:59 (Ref:2771659)   #41
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Surprised no one has linked to this article http://motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=390309&FS=F1 Official says Porsche can afford OWN TEAM. In other words, not an engine manufacturer, but a constructor as well.
That's interesting in itself, it suggests Porsche see an up turn in the world economy if they are able to run their own team in 2013.
Old 8 Oct 2010, 21:07 (Ref:2771665)   #42
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Glad to see this thread has gone back to resembling something to do with the title!!!

Well that is interesting, running their own team might not be that surprising, as by then they may have already owned one for 1 or 2 years as the basis?

Then here's another addition to the mix there's the Toyota Cologne premises with all that R&D Design and manufacturing facility.
Old 5 Sep 2017, 09:25 (Ref:3764682)   #43
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Back from the dead!

Finally we're getting somewhere.

Porsche confirms interest as engine supplier.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/p...r-2021-949446/

Would be great to see them on the grid in 2021.
Old 5 Sep 2017, 09:42 (Ref:3764685)   #44
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
Back from the dead!

There's definitely a big leap in the article though from Porsche saying they attended meetings and are glad with the direction the regulations are heading, and the writer claiming they are 'seriously considering'. Nothing from Porsche suggests anything else than being an interested observer, who is open to potential and just sounding out the possibilities.
Old 5 Sep 2017, 09:59 (Ref:3764687)   #45
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
There's definitely a big leap in the article though from Porsche saying they attended meetings and are glad with the direction the regulations are heading, and the writer claiming they are 'seriously considering'. Nothing from Porsche suggests anything else than being an interested observer, who is open to potential and just sounding out the possibilities.
Perhaps they are waiting for a patron to fund the design, build & development of the engine, like in the TAG days
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 5 Sep 2017, 10:02 (Ref:3764688)   #46
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Many companies have been keeping their eyes and ears open about the new engine regulations for 2021. They include BMW, VAG, Cosworth and Ilmor, and many have even been participating in the FIA meetings that are part of the process to decide on the new rules.

It doesn't mean, though, that all or any of them will actually be a part of F1 after 2021.
Old 5 Sep 2017, 10:13 (Ref:3764689)   #47
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Many companies have been keeping their eyes and ears open about the new engine regulations for 2021. They include BMW, VAG, Cosworth and Ilmor, and many have even been participating in the FIA meetings that are part of the process to decide on the new rules.

It doesn't mean, though, that all or any of them will actually be a part of F1 after 2021.
Yes - I would expect any engine maker involved with motorsport to keep abreast of developments.
And if Porsche feel they have a 1% chance of supplying an engine, then they'll only be making positive comments about the direction of the regulations.

It is also prudent to remain aware of upcoming changes, otherwise you will always be playing catch up if you decide to get involved at a later date.

A lot is made of how Mercedes have the best engine currently because they were involved in developing the current regulations from the start. No other serious rival would be keen to allow that to happen again.
Old 5 Sep 2017, 11:01 (Ref:3764695)   #48
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
Back from the dead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Interestingly, in a Sky interview, Christian Horner mentioned that Lamborghini (also part of VAG with Porsche), had been in presumably the same or similar meetings along with Red Bull sponsor/partner Aston Martin.

If VAG are really interested, they could be looking to find out which badge will best fit, or even if able to supply more than one team using more than one badge.
Old 5 Sep 2017, 12:33 (Ref:3764712)   #49
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Well let's hope they do better than Honda and also better than they did last time they were in F1
Old 5 Sep 2017, 16:12 (Ref:3764752)   #50
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post

If VAG are really interested, they could be looking to find out which badge will best fit, or even if able to supply more than one team using more than one badge.
VAG-TAG badged engine?

Who hasn't been involved in the discussion then, it sounds like the rooms have been quite busy?