Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 11 Jun 2012, 19:27 (Ref:3089150)   #16
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNaBUru38 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
Who? The Dutch racing driver?
Chinese press may say otherwise.
Old 11 Jun 2012, 21:41 (Ref:3089233)   #17
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Chinese press may say otherwise.
Uh OK. He was born in the Netherlands and didn't even speak Mandarin or Cantonese. Kind of like back in A1GP where Graham Rahal suddenly became a Lebanese driver. Sure.
Old 11 Jun 2012, 21:51 (Ref:3089240)   #18
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://www.ibj.com/the-score-2012-06...AMS/post/34906
Old 11 Jun 2012, 22:50 (Ref:3089282)   #19
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new lap record!Paradise City is going for a new lap record!Paradise City is going for a new lap record!Paradise City is going for a new lap record!Paradise City is going for a new lap record!Paradise City is going for a new lap record!
Even Ho Pin Tung the Dutchman would do. No problem. The problem is the candidate would needed to have started the season, he need to be promoted to a Chinese audience and neither has happened. It's far too late now. What a weird episode this Chinese nonsense has been.
Old 11 Jun 2012, 23:04 (Ref:3089291)   #20
HaydenFan
Racer

HaydenFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
Even Ho Pin Tung the Dutchman would do. No problem. The problem is the candidate would needed to have started the season, he need to be promoted to a Chinese audience and neither has happened. It's far too late now. What a weird episode this Chinese nonsense has been.
Much like how in '07, Champ Car used Jan Heylan to advertise the race at Zolder.

With the circuit just being introduced, and only a few months before the race, unless their plan is to do the hyper-quick Chinese construction method of building things, I think this race is doomed. Even if it gets going, I think it'll be more A1GP and even what DTM and Superleague went through.

Too bad, open wheel racing has been given ****-poor promoters in the past from Zhuhai, as I think that track at least has some stability. Well, being mostly because it is a permanent circuit.

Still should have stuck with Japan. Even if Motegi wasn't going to work, other circuits would have worked. Autopolis meets the credentials of what the FIA would allow for an IndyCar race. Same with Okayama. And with Honda, and Sato, I couldn't see why not?
Old 12 Jun 2012, 00:29 (Ref:3089316)   #21
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaydenFan View Post
Much like how in '07, Champ Car used Jan Heylan to advertise the race at Zolder.

With the circuit just being introduced, and only a few months before the race, unless their plan is to do the hyper-quick Chinese construction method of building things, I think this race is doomed. Even if it gets going, I think it'll be more A1GP and even what DTM and Superleague went through.

Too bad, open wheel racing has been given ****-poor promoters in the past from Zhuhai, as I think that track at least has some stability. Well, being mostly because it is a permanent circuit.

Still should have stuck with Japan. Even if Motegi wasn't going to work, other circuits would have worked. Autopolis meets the credentials of what the FIA would allow for an IndyCar race. Same with Okayama. And with Honda, and Sato, I couldn't see why not?
Even better they should have stuck with the Gold Coast. That was a paid up deal that paid them a full rate sanctioning fee plus all the teams got a huge portion of their costs covered to the point it was cheaper than hauling everyone to any race in the USA. It was a sweet deal and tony george told the organizers and the QLD government to stick it up their butt.

Rodeo randy even tried to mea culpa and beg for the race back but too late. V8 Supercars got their hands on it and the track configuration is now changed.

These people in indianapolis are not very smart people, so it's to be expected.
Old 12 Jun 2012, 02:32 (Ref:3089334)   #22
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist has a real shot at the championship!Purist has a real shot at the championship!Purist has a real shot at the championship!Purist has a real shot at the championship!Purist has a real shot at the championship!
I'm not sure that Autopolis would be keen to pay a serious sanction fee. They host SuperGT fairly regularly now, but that's the biggest thing they've been hosting lately, and maybe the biggest thing they've hosted since the final race of the 1991 FIA World Sportscar Championship.

I don't know that these cars have enough top-end speed to make Okayama (Aida) worthwhile; I'm not sure they'd be able to pass anywhere other than at the end of the back straight.

Honda owns Suzuka, but late in the season there doesn't work so well due to F1.

Zhuhai hasn't proven capable of sustaining an event thus far. FIA GT has visited a couple times, with runs of 2-3 years each time, I think. We'll never know if they could have held on to the ILMC, since that has become the FIA WEC, and moved to Shanghai.

I'd like to see Qingdao happen once, to see the circuit. As for the future, all I can hope is Milwaukee goes well with Andretti promoting it, and Road America can fill that August slot on the calendar, partnering with the ALMS.
Old 12 Jun 2012, 14:12 (Ref:3089541)   #23
HJJ
Veteran

United States
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
Road America can fill that August slot on the calendar, partnering with the ALMS.
Doesn't sound like it.

Quote:
Road America president George Bruggenthies said he hasn't talked to IndyCar CEO Randy Bernard about the Elkhart Lake track being a backup if the series doesn't compete in China in August.

Bernard told the Indianapolis Star on Sunday China isn't "100%," and he's got a backup plan for the race scheduled Aug. 19 on the streets of Qingdao. Bernard said a decision had to be made soon about the race.

"I haven't heard from Randy and I can tell you that my American LeMans Series and Corvette World Tribute weekend is solid," Bruggenthies said Sunday, referring to the Aug. 16-19. "I really can't change anything there."

When IndyCar and Road America did talk about a race for 2012, that was the weekend on which Bruggenthies had focused so that it could be a ALMS-IndyCar doubleheader weekend.

But Bernard said in the days leading up to the Indianapolis 500 he had backed off on Road America in deference to Michael Andretti and his promotion of the June 12 race at the Milwaukee Mile, an event seen as "fragile."

Bruggenthies was quick to point out he'd be open to discussion about bringing the series to the permanent road course at some juncture this season.

"Our schedule is full that weekend; I have contracts and couldn't change anything," Bruggenthies said. "I haven't been asked to seriously look at. I would certainly take a look to see what I might be able to do.

"I don't know that I couldn't do something. I doubt for that weekend unless it was an abbreviated appearance. I don't know if Road America is (Bernard's) backup plan. Maybe he'll call me Monday and ask me Ė and then I'd have to take a seriously look." JSOnline.com
Old 12 Jun 2012, 21:53 (Ref:3089797)   #24
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist has a real shot at the championship!Purist has a real shot at the championship!Purist has a real shot at the championship!Purist has a real shot at the championship!Purist has a real shot at the championship!
I was more meaning for 2013 or something, not this year.
Old 12 Jun 2012, 22:04 (Ref:3089808)   #25
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Breaking News

IndyCar finalises Iowa heat-race qualifying format.
Old 13 Jun 2012, 15:25 (Ref:3090161)   #26
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Rumors in Indy are out that China will be confirmed as gone as early as today, but probably closer to the weekend when everyone gets to Milwaukee.

Replacements?

Tow in the alleged hopper are Pocono or a possible second race at texas Oct. 7

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 13 Jun 2012, 15:43 (Ref:3090187)   #27
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Northcutt View Post
Rumors in Indy are out that China will be confirmed as gone as early as today, but probably closer to the weekend when everyone gets to Milwaukee.

Replacements?

Tow in the alleged hopper are Pocono or a possible second race at texas Oct. 7
Curt Cavin keeps mentioning joining ALMS at Road America on the original Chinese date as a possible replacement. Now that would be something exciting!
Old 13 Jun 2012, 16:30 (Ref:3090212)   #28
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Quote:
IndyCar is now officially in Plan B for completing its 2012 schedule.

Sanctioning body officials confirmed today that the Aug. 19 race in Qingdao, China, has been canceled. IndyCar CEO Randy Bernard said last weekend that “politics” keyed the issue.

Qingdao has a new mayor since IndyCar consummated a deal last November. The event was to be held on the same weekend as the Qingdao International Beer Festival.

Bernard said the promoter canceled the race. IndyCar is keeping open the possibility of racing in China in the future, he said.

Bernard said he has a backup plan for a replacement race, something that needs to happen to keep IndyCar in good standing with several contracts. The minimum number of races in a season is 16; the loss of China leaves the series with just 15.

Bernard said it’s possible the replacement race happens after the Sept. 15 race at Auto Club Speedway in Fontana, Calif.

The possibilities include races at Road America in Elkhart Lake, Wis., Pocono Raceway and Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca.
Old 13 Jun 2012, 16:44 (Ref:3090220)   #29
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNaBUru38 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Damn!
Old 13 Jun 2012, 16:47 (Ref:3090221)   #30
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Well, what a surprise. They got suckered by the Chicoms as has happened many times already and no one heeded that prior experience by others.

The "replacement" race will be entirely self funded by the indy racin league.