Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 8 Sep 2003, 15:24 (Ref:711955)   #126
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well, since a number of you were either racing or marshalling, I extend my thanks to all of you for your part in a great weekend. I was there yesterday; a superb day with superb drivers and cars, and it didn't even rain (except for a few spots during the TT) so I don't have to complain about the brolly brigade. Talking of the TT, it was a shame that it had to have two safety car periods, and I guess I was not the only one to wonder why the safety car picked up the wrong car. Certainly Whizzo Williams was distinctly unhappy about it. Anyone know the story behind this apparent confusion?
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 8 Sep 2003, 15:36 (Ref:711970)   #127
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I will take you up on your kind offer the next time we are both at the same circuit!
Old 8 Sep 2003, 17:15 (Ref:712101)   #128
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Next year I've got to do the Friday again - had to work this time and missed out on my usual meeting day. Oh well. Still, Goodwood was fantastic as ever, more happy memories for the old data bank. Just didn't get to meet as many people as I was hoping.

Fan, I spotted one of your spins - well recovered I thought, and glad to hear the Assegai's getting sorted nicely.

Can't believe Ernie Nagamatsu's done it again! I love Ol' Yeller, and I really hope he is willing to bring it over for 2004, and I trust next year he'll actually miss the geraniums.
Old 8 Sep 2003, 19:55 (Ref:712263)   #129
Chigley
Veteran

England
Newbury, Berkshire
Chigley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a brilliant weekend, with so much to watch and drool over and to see so many friends. Being on post 1 was mind blowing, every start we kept saying that we should use ear plugs, but each time decided not to so that we could appreciate the gloroius sounds, roars and vibrations from such large, exotic and scintillating machines as they set off. For me the sounds from Wlllie Green's Alfa TZ2 and the Benelli in the Barry Sheene Memorial were painfully superb but who can forget the GT40's, Cobra's and Ferrari 330LM's.

Congratulations to all the drivers for being so professional when going four or five abreast into Madgewick at the start without incident, apart from the occasional rub. Believe me it was scary to watch.

One question, is it difficult to see the chequered flag amongst the background clutter as we had a few bolters one of whom took the flag 3 times.
Old 8 Sep 2003, 20:55 (Ref:712328)   #130
theracegypsy
Veteran

theracegypsy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by the18racer
Did any Tenth-Tenthers see me get clobbered by the C-type when I was lapping it at Lavant?
Now I was one of the observers at Levant out, and we had everybody getting clobbered, so which one were you? Did you continue, or were you on the end of our tow truck?

Give me a clue, like car number!

Last edited by theracegypsy; 8 Sep 2003 at 20:56.
Old 8 Sep 2003, 21:16 (Ref:712353)   #131
Fan
Veteran

Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Chigley

Congratulations to all the drivers for being so professional when going four or five abreast into Madgewick at the start without incident, apart from the occasional rub. Believe me it was scary to watch.

One question, is it difficult to see the chequered flag amongst the background clutter as we had a few bolters one of whom took the flag 3 times.
The start was definitely interesting! I think I was three abreast going into Madgewick and very releived to come out of it. A few drivers mentioned that the 3-2-3 grid is the cause of a lot of problems. I got badly boxed in at the start but it does encourage you to "have a go" at a part of the circuit which narrows quite quickly. It might be time to change to the old 2-2-2 grid.

The chequered flag was quite difficult to see. The postion of the flag marshal is quite high up and against trees. I managed to see it everytime but only quite late (ie: almost at the end of the pitlane)
Old 8 Sep 2003, 22:56 (Ref:712460)   #132
D-Type
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coulsdon, Surrey
D-Type should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My first visit to Goodwood - but definitely not my last.
The highlight?
So many, but first among equals must be Peter Hardman hanging out the tail of the DBR1.
But I still don't know what a poodle skirt is. Suzy can we have a picture please?

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.
Old 9 Sep 2003, 06:47 (Ref:712686)   #133
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I found the chequered flag hard to see against the large tree that hung down behind the finish gantry. Maybe his Lorship could arrange a little pruning. The one thing that was superb was the laps completed board, extremely easy to see and read!
Old 9 Sep 2003, 09:53 (Ref:712869)   #134
the18racer
Rookie

the18racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was in the Cooper-Jaguar (blue, no. 9) lying in third place when it happened. The C-type went off but I kept going.
Old 9 Sep 2003, 10:50 (Ref:712929)   #135
Suzy
Retired
Veteran

Suzy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Okay. I'll put you all out of your misery. This is nearly the same as the one I wore - but my poodle wasn't as tidy. It's the same colour and shape etc.
Attached Thumbnails
pink poodle skirt.jpg  
Old 9 Sep 2003, 11:02 (Ref:712943)   #136
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
And there couldn't have been a finer model to show it off
Old 9 Sep 2003, 22:05 (Ref:713603)   #137
theracegypsy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Green
And there couldn't have been a finer model to show it off
Sure we saw you at Levant Suzy, but I had no idea it was you

You were definately on the |Observer's list of items to watch though

18racer, got you now, it was the Saturday race which was confusing me. It was the |Neil Hadfield C type, no23, and if I recall we had great problems getting it onto the flatbed after.

...and you left the scene so fast I nearly didn't get your number:confused:

hope the car was not damaged, & have a
Old 10 Sep 2003, 13:19 (Ref:714078)   #138
the18racer
Rookie

the18racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks, Bob. I was mystified as to how he managed to hit me, because he was outside me and yet the damage was to the front of his car, not the side.Blues were being waved and he shouldn't have been trying to race me. My car had bodywork damage to the LHS, but it's been repaired and we'll be racing at Spa this weekend.
Old 10 Sep 2003, 22:51 (Ref:714560)   #139
theracegypsy
Veteran

Have a good safe one at Spa, beautiful circuit, though my favorite post in the whole world has now long gone, at Stavelot viaduct.

I am at Combe, so close to home this weekend
Old 12 Sep 2003, 09:51 (Ref:716079)   #140
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A fantastic weekend as always. The racing was again superb but a shame about the safety car confusion in the TT. Highlights for me?
The St.Mary's saloons - the two Williams' - Grant's sideways Jag and Whizzo's drifting Mini with the Falcon's and Galaxie up front. The Sytner and Hadfield battle in the Whitsun cup - fantastic after the chicane demolition derby.
The Sheene parade I found very moving and the warbird flying displays were brilliant as expected.
Still by far the best race meeting of the year.I'm guessing that it will revert back to it's mid September date next year as the F1 calendar has just been announced.
Old 12 Sep 2003, 10:23 (Ref:716126)   #141
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
The destruction derby at the chicane certainly gave me something to do. We had been waiting all weekend for someone to demolish it, then each of the last two races of the weekend it happened!

The Sheene parade was very moving and I found my eyes watering on more than one occasion. Murrays comments were very well made (did you know the uniform he was wearing was in fact his own from his days in the army?) and it was great to see Damon Hill and Gerhard Berger both taking part.

The flying displays were as always breathtaking. Ray Hannah is a master in the art of flight.
Old 12 Sep 2003, 10:25 (Ref:716128)   #142
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
I would like to add special thanks to Amanda Stretton who, at the end of the meeting was getting the crowd to cheer the drivers, and then asked the spectators to give a special cheer to all the marshals. Thats the first time I have ever experienced someone ask that and in its own way, it was a very moving experience.
Old 12 Sep 2003, 12:25 (Ref:716303)   #143
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Green
Murrays comments were very well made (did you know the uniform he was wearing was in fact his own from his days in the army?)
Here he is Stephen, in his uniform.
Attached Thumbnails
murray.jpg  
Old 12 Sep 2003, 17:33 (Ref:716705)   #144
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
thanks all for the little details that fill in my imagination until some months down the road, I'll hopefully see some of this on the television if I badger my friend enough to tape it. Hope again that the C-type Jag accident driver will come out of this without lasting ill effects.

David