Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History > Historic Image Archive

Old 6 Aug 2002, 09:35 (Ref:351102)   #251
racing fxgt
Racer

racing fxgt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At Druids
Attached Thumbnails
brands.jpg  
Old 6 Aug 2002, 10:00 (Ref:351120)   #252
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
how to relax after a race

or for some people, how to relax before as well
Attached Thumbnails
james_hunt-small.jpg  
Old 6 Aug 2002, 10:21 (Ref:351129)   #253
racing fxgt
Racer

Hope you don't mind Fred found some of your's.
Leake in the Aston chased by Ian Richardson 5.4 AC Cobra
Attached Thumbnails
fred1.jpg  
Old 6 Aug 2002, 10:24 (Ref:351132)   #254
racing fxgt
Racer

Same as the first one 1970 Six Hour Relay Race Silverstone
Attached Thumbnails
fred2.jpg  
Old 6 Aug 2002, 10:51 (Ref:351149)   #255
racing fxgt
Racer

On the startline.
Attached Thumbnails
startline.jpg  
Old 6 Aug 2002, 18:49 (Ref:351547)   #256
strad
Veteran

strad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Moss in F.F.
Attached Thumbnails
moss_fford.jpg  
Old 6 Aug 2002, 18:55 (Ref:351556)   #257
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Strad, terrific! That was the launch of FF to the press at Brands in 1967 and Stirling did a few laps.
Old 6 Aug 2002, 18:56 (Ref:351557)   #258
strad
Veteran

strad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bruce in the Tasman series
Attached Thumbnails
mclaren.jpg  
Old 6 Aug 2002, 22:06 (Ref:351758)   #259
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yet again Fred, wonderful shots. I would suspect they are 1969 after the high wings were banned. Looks like the grid is made up with other F2/F3 cars. Its Gethin on pole with the McLaren and Hobbs in the red works Surtees TS5. No.4 looks like Mike Walker, could be wrong.
Old 6 Aug 2002, 22:26 (Ref:351779)   #260
Fred Scatley
Racer

Fred Scatley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Andrew, not part of the thread but I see you mention Mike Treutlin and that seems to ring a bell did he race at one time? or it might of been in the late 50s early 60s I did a few "sprints" with Cambridge 50 CC Near Ely, and somebody with a name like that raced a Special
Old 7 Aug 2002, 21:00 (Ref:352597)   #261
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Yes Fred, in Rob Walker's Lotus. I think it is the Race of Champions at Brands in 1969. It's not the GP that Siffert won in 68 because it has a high front wing. The high wings were banned at the Monaco GP a month or so later.
Old 7 Aug 2002, 21:44 (Ref:352650)   #262
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Is the black one not a Porsche 904?
The Cobra above is the famous Chequered Flag Cobra which is now still regularly raced by Grahame Bryant, but in Red and Gold livery.
Grahame asked me to paint it to 30 x 20 ins - here it is shown at the 2000 Goodwood Revival. Note the same number plate as in Fred's photo.
Attached Thumbnails
bryant.jpg  

Last edited by Andrew Kitson; 7 Aug 2002 at 21:47.
Old 8 Aug 2002, 01:02 (Ref:352743)   #263
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Martin Hone's, perhaps? Wasn't that black?
Old 8 Aug 2002, 11:39 (Ref:352958)   #264
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Maisie,

The Gordon Streeter Anglia uses a four cylinder Ford engine. I don't think it's far removed from the original 1200cc version. That's a lot different to the big V8 or the Lotus/Coventry Climax engines running in the majority of specials seen here. That was really my point. I think it would be great to see some "Classic" special saloons.
Old 8 Aug 2002, 11:59 (Ref:352974)   #265
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Yeah, that would be great Peter but the regs would have to be carefully worked out - and would there be enough classic special saloons to satisfy the MSA's new grid size limits?
In the 60s, some had huge engines, wide wheels etc. but basically just fibreglass bonnets, boot lids but steel shells. Into the 70s/80s they started getting wilder - a prime example being Jonathan Buncombe's Imp. This was a Chevron B19 2 litre sportscar. All it had was a 'clip on' glassfibre Imp body - and that's it. The rollhoop was exactly as on the Chevron, a hoop just above the drivers head, not supporting the roof. The car was dubbed 'The Chimp'.
Where would you draw the line to determine 'special'?
Old 8 Aug 2002, 12:13 (Ref:352987)   #266
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Agreed Andrew, but what you describe is the Wendywools Special Saloon regs of the seventies. There were a number of formula two cars with bolted on "saloon" bodies. The criteria was to keep the engines in the original "Saloon Car" locations, hence the Skoda, Beetle and Imp replicas. (Used that word cos I can't spell sillooo........., slouthe......., silhouette).

As to grid sizes you're probably right. But I'd just love to race a "Janglia" or something like it.
Old 8 Aug 2002, 12:27 (Ref:352997)   #267
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Could always devise regs for two 'classes' with cc divisions within these classes - steel shelled special saloons / anything goes super saloons - but based on cars used in the day up to the Skoda's for example. Tony Sugden has one ready built!
Old 8 Aug 2002, 13:18 (Ref:353059)   #268
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Gordon Streeters Anglebox runs a 1500 precrossflow, on twin 48's . . I dont know about internals, but would guess at a short stroke as it revs to 10k? obviously all steel, and he went away from high lift cams due to bending valves and reverted to huge opening durations . . . .must be around 150 BHP

thats just from memory of reading an article last year after he won the championship
Old 8 Aug 2002, 19:33 (Ref:353332)   #269
John Reeves
Rookie

John Reeves should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had the great pleasure of being part of the pit crew for Mike (Spinner) Loveday for some time in the late 60's. I can remember some great tales of those days. It was real story book stuff. I can even remember the teeth being painted on the front of the E-type and this kind of thing was typical of Mike's sense of humour. What a fantastic era and I feel priviledged to have been a small part of it. The pictures are bringing home alot of memories. Keep 'em coming!!
Old 8 Aug 2002, 20:05 (Ref:353347)   #270
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
John, welcome aboard the forum. Am I right in remembering that Mike's E-type was orange? Those teeth scared the life out of me as a young kid but it certainly got noticed!
What became of Mike and do you have anymore pics of the car?
Old 8 Aug 2002, 20:30 (Ref:353368)   #271
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Welcome aboard John.
Old 8 Aug 2002, 20:35 (Ref:353371)   #272
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally posted by zefarelly
Gordon Streeters Anglebox runs a 1500 precrossflow, on twin 48's . . I dont know about internals, but would guess at a short stroke as it revs to 10k? obviously all steel, and he went away from high lift cams due to bending valves and reverted to huge opening durations . . . .must be around 150 BHP
Well that's not far removed from the 1200 "Super" engine. Unless I'm mistaken they ran the same crank.

I'll check the Classic Thunder regs but I think the point is that you can use a larger engine but it must be the same configuration as the standard car. So a 1500 pre xflow would fit that bill. However a Straight six Jag engine wouldn't.

Andrew.

Doesn't the Northern Sports and Saloon Car championsgip reflect your proposed regs? And doesn't Sugden run in that?
Old 8 Aug 2002, 20:50 (Ref:353391)   #273
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Peter, yes it does except that they are not 'classics'! Bar one or two.. Michael Blomfield's very quick Sierra and a few Caterhams etc. are not what I am thinking of. More the likes of Baby Bertha, The VW Chevvy, V8 Skoda's and classic special saloons like the Angleboxes with Jag engines etc as discussed in this thread. But you are right, the regs might suit!
Old 8 Aug 2002, 21:55 (Ref:353437)   #274
vaughan jones
Racer

vaughan jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
bent anglebox

martin maudling was the son of the chancellor of the excequeller reginald maulding in the harold wilson govt ???

sorry about the spelling
Old 8 Aug 2002, 22:08 (Ref:353443)   #275
vaughan jones
Racer

vaughan jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
e-type jags drivers rememeber from the 60s warren pearce john quick rob schoeder alistair cowin john wilson john filbee jenny tudor-owen john lewis, in healeys john chatham stuart hands