Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 29 Jul 2006, 00:28 (Ref:1666912)   #1
beau1
Veteran

Wales
Swansea,Wales
beau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What ever happened to.....

.....the drivers throwing their hats off the podium? I remember the drivers used to do it every race in the 1990's. Anyone know why it stopped? Who were the last to do it? I kind of miss it.

Last edited by beau1; 29 Jul 2006 at 00:32.
Old 29 Jul 2006, 00:32 (Ref:1666915)   #2
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember Mansell doing it at Adelaide in 1994
Old 29 Jul 2006, 03:07 (Ref:1666941)   #3
1200Datto27
Veteran

Australia
Croydon
1200Datto27 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Probably because most of the podiums are surrounded by fences that keep the general public too far away from it to make it possible for the drivers to reach them with the hats.
Old 29 Jul 2006, 07:18 (Ref:1666997)   #4
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Whatever happened to good old days of the 1960s and '70s? Back when the drivers had to actually to drive the car themselves...
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 29 Jul 2006, 07:35 (Ref:1667001)   #5
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
nothing happened .. they're still in the 60s and 70s .. nobody stolen them

Ciao Marco
Old 29 Jul 2006, 10:35 (Ref:1667048)   #6
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
As for the hat throwing,it's probably a health and safety thing.You wouldn't want to get caught in the eye by a wayward baseball cap.

I think the real reason is that you can't advertise whatever if it is spinning through the air.
Old 29 Jul 2006, 13:38 (Ref:1667118)   #7
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The wreaths they used to wear in the podium celebrations were removed because they obscured sponsorship logos, which I always think is a bit of a shame.
Old 29 Jul 2006, 13:48 (Ref:1667125)   #8
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyn bott
As for the hat throwing,it's probably a health and safety thing.You wouldn't want to get caught in the eye by a wayward baseball cap.

I think the real reason is that you can't advertise whatever if it is spinning through the air.
That will be the main reasons...
Old 29 Jul 2006, 17:39 (Ref:1667249)   #9
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It is an advertising thing, as martyn alludes to.

It puts me in mind of the podium scene from Le Mans one year. The winning Jaguar drivers were throwing their branded caps to the crowd and kept being handed new ones and asked to keep them on for the sponsor!

Still kept throwing them though!
Old 29 Jul 2006, 20:31 (Ref:1667334)   #10
CATMAN
Racer

CATMAN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Money ! Somebody will make a small fortune from selling it on. Sponsors or teams often have a claim on the helmet so its marketing value prevents the former benvolent gestures
Old 30 Jul 2006, 02:13 (Ref:1667516)   #11
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Whatever happened to Formula 1 without a Schumacher? Geez, it's been sooooooooooooooooooo long...
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 30 Jul 2006, 04:26 (Ref:1667545)   #12
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
early 1991 to be exact....
Old 30 Jul 2006, 05:46 (Ref:1667556)   #13
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
So there's only been one year of my life without a Schuey in F1? Oh god...
Old 30 Jul 2006, 14:38 (Ref:1667891)   #14
wilmywood8455
Rookie

United States
Californian in North Carolina
wilmywood8455 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by beau1
.....the drivers throwing their hats off the podium? I remember the drivers used to do it every race in the 1990's. Anyone know why it stopped? Who were the last to do it? I kind of miss it.
Did you see Schumacher's cap toss this morning at Hockenheim? It was on Speed, and it must have traveled at least 100 feet in the air. It was after the podium ceremony and the champagne spraying.

Perthaps we have not seen them because the drivers wait until the caps are champagne soaked for more mass and distance due to the crowds being so far back.............
Old 30 Jul 2006, 15:41 (Ref:1667935)   #15
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilmywood8455
Did you see Schumacher's cap toss this morning at Hockenheim? It was on Speed, and it must have traveled at least 100 feet in the air. It was after the podium ceremony and the champagne spraying.
If thats the case, perhaps the throwing of caps into to the crowd continues, but after the champagne their is little exposure to gain from the caps for TV cameras often switch to something else and so throwing them into the crowd then makes little difference to publicity.
Old 30 Jul 2006, 16:46 (Ref:1667983)   #16
Hein
Racer

South Africa
Kareedouw, Eastern Cape, South Africa
Hein should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Beau1 - MS gave is both what we wanted (he threw his cap into the ground, and he crushed FA)!

Happy days are back again...
Old 31 Jul 2006, 00:34 (Ref:1668419)   #17
beau1
Veteran

Wales
Swansea,Wales
beau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
LOL! Yaaaay! More of the same please. :P. Especially the throwing hats part, so i don't have to make this thread again in ten years.
Old 31 Jul 2006, 01:41 (Ref:1668431)   #18
deejay
Veteran

New Zealand
deejay has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Well it's obvous now isn't it, Michael must read the ten-tenths forum.
Old 31 Jul 2006, 05:20 (Ref:1668471)   #19
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Absolutely, there was nothing spontaneous about that at all.
Old 31 Jul 2006, 06:43 (Ref:1668510)   #20
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it is one of the FIA’s cost-cutting measures
Old 31 Jul 2006, 08:51 (Ref:1668606)   #21
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Maybe they should ban it base on safety grounds. Hats can hurt.
Old 31 Jul 2006, 16:43 (Ref:1669080)   #22
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
those crazy sponsors - if they should ban anything it should be the watch Massa was wearing during the Hock. press conference. i almost went blind!

the Richard Mille RM 005 -FM PT
retails for around $67,000.00 US

but for you, a little bit cheaper on ebay
Old 31 Jul 2006, 20:08 (Ref:1669256)   #23
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
I am still waiting for a driver to throw his overallls into the crowd (let him keep the under-layer on, though, ).
Old 31 Jul 2006, 21:32 (Ref:1669365)   #24
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Keep waiting...
Old 31 Jul 2006, 21:35 (Ref:1669371)   #25
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
I am and will.