Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 31 Dec 2003, 14:53 (Ref:824613)   #1
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Racing highlight of 2003

Time to look back over the year.

What are your highlights of the racing year? Any form, any reason.
Here are mine to get you going.

1. Zanardi.
2. Last to first at Rockingham after spinning to avoid others who had come together.
3. Le Mans. Bentley. Not the greatest Le Mans, but (as usual) the whole weekend was great adn included a trip to Reims!

The first I only saw on TV, the second I did and the third I was there!

What about you guys? Montoya at Nurburgring? Solberg's Corsica. Ortelli at Spa? BTCC Rockingham? A beer at Stowe? The speed at Indy? etc... ??????????
Old 31 Dec 2003, 15:40 (Ref:824640)   #2
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My biggest highlights of the year would have to be:
1. The Australian G.P. it was action packed from start to finish.
2. The Bathurst 24 Hour. My first 24 Hour & to see the cars race around the Mountain in the early hours of the morning is an incredible experience.
Old 31 Dec 2003, 15:42 (Ref:824643)   #3
noise boy 2
Racer

United States
Baltimore, MD USA
noise boy 2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I will weigh in here, I had two highlights this year, both personal. First I had the opportunity to go to sebring and see the 12 hours. Great race, and got to see the bentleys run (a rare sight). Second I made the annual pilgrimage (4th year in a row) to the Petit LeMans and enjoyed some fine southern hospitality and nice weather at the beautiful road atlanta circuit, and a great race. Robert
Old 31 Dec 2003, 15:46 (Ref:824645)   #4
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Lap nine of the the second Caterham Midlands Challenge race at Mallory on Boxing Day. Chisnall outbraking Frost, Frost getting the lead back. It sticks in my memory because it was so recent...
Old 31 Dec 2003, 16:02 (Ref:824647)   #5
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Oh there is only 1 highlight for me, it took place in France in mid June, when Bentley won Le Mans, it was a fantastic.
Old 31 Dec 2003, 16:45 (Ref:824661)   #6
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
diz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The BRDC Walter Hayes Trophy FF1600 'Festival' at Silverstone in November.
Great atmosphere and FF1600 made to feel welcome. A nice change that.
David Leslie and Joey Foster putting themselves up to be shot down and dodging the bullets.
Also Ian Sowman posting reports and photos on TT almost as the action happened.
Old 31 Dec 2003, 18:12 (Ref:824701)   #7
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Thirteen fast laps at Germany, as Alex Zanardi proves the power of the human spirit to overcome adversity. For me, those few minutes were the most memorable of any series in any year.
Old 31 Dec 2003, 20:24 (Ref:824772)   #8
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good thread Adam, so much to remember!

For me, going to Indy for the first time, to see the USGP, just an incredible expierience and a great race! To see Michael win, great stuff.

Not sure this is a highlight, but seeing Kenny Bracks IRL accident at the Texas Motor Speedway. Simply the worst crash I ever saw, and I just can't get it out of my head. To survive and then want to race again, wow!

Last edited by GP Racer; 31 Dec 2003 at 20:25.

Danica Patrick
Old 31 Dec 2003, 23:39 (Ref:824831)   #9
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Lucio Cecchinello's win at the Italian GP was a stand-out for myself. After more than a decade of trying, he finally won his home race in hs swansong year.

Add to that more tears from him at the final race and his celebrations with Casey Stoner on the podium at Valencia...
Old 31 Dec 2003, 23:45 (Ref:824832)   #10
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
For me it's not getting wet once in all 16 races this year
Old 31 Dec 2003, 23:53 (Ref:824838)   #11
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The 6 way fight for the Delphi 300 that ended with that classic 3-wide finish was awesome. Fantastic race.

Kimi's first win was good too though
Old 1 Jan 2004, 05:00 (Ref:825010)   #12
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fisichella passing Raikkonen to lead in Brazil.
Old 1 Jan 2004, 10:36 (Ref:825096)   #13
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Greg Murphy's Pole lap at bathurst , simply awesome.

everytime Valentino Rossi got on a bike.
Old 1 Jan 2004, 13:32 (Ref:825142)   #14
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
My racing highlight of 2003 has to be watching F1's credibility within the general public soar back up. It made us believers feel pretty smug anyhow......

Other than that, Zanardi's comeback was an absolute joy to behold and a real inspiration to us all.
Old 1 Jan 2004, 14:09 (Ref:825151)   #15
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
definately Zanardi making that great comeback,

also Alonso's dominating peformance in Hungary, Webbo's Quly performances, The Silverstone GP one the best 'dry' GP's weve had and Ferrari not running away with the championship thus proving that F1 racing is hopefully getting back to its best with good championship fights.
Old 1 Jan 2004, 14:24 (Ref:825158)   #16
gfm
Veteran

gfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
WE had a great Grand Prix this year at Silverstone didn't we, and every time we put the Bike racers on TV, they were powersliding, rear tyres smoking all over the place.
Old 1 Jan 2004, 14:52 (Ref:825172)   #17
gfm
Veteran

gfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
... and then for me, the small class Porsche GT3 win at the wet Spa 24 Hr, was REALLY GOOD.
Old 1 Jan 2004, 16:33 (Ref:825197)   #18
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'd list Zanardi as the greatest achievement by anyone last year. Absolutely amazing!

The British and Brazilian GPs this year were also that little bit special weren't they!
Old 2 Jan 2004, 09:55 (Ref:825572)   #19
Maisie
Veteran

Maisie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Standing at Russell Chicane at Snet in the dead of night with 30 2CVs hurtling towards me, lights ablaze.

I guess you'd have to be there to appreciate it, but the atmosphere of the whole 24 hour event was something like I've never experienced before.
Old 2 Jan 2004, 14:15 (Ref:825720)   #20
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
It was good, Maisie, but it was no Le Mans - you should try the real McCoy sometime!

Best weekend for me? Tom's domination at Thruxton - two poles, 2 fastest laps, 2 wins. Nice. Other than that it was the Rallye Sunseeker all the way back in Feburary - a great day out with some really good friends - what more can you ask for?
Old 2 Jan 2004, 14:57 (Ref:825744)   #21
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Without a doubt, Zanardi's 13 laps at the Eurospeedway, closely followed by his race at Monza - I don't think there's anything that comes close.

I didn't think there was much to celebrate in F1, which became a 'what can we do to add more luck' to the show to make it more exciting. Seems like a Nascar type thing.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 2 Jan 2004, 20:53 (Ref:825935)   #22
F3lollipops
Racer

United Kingdom
Lollipop Land
F3lollipops should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Three things stick in my mind.

One of them I didn't see in person - Zanardi's comeback. Sooo looking forward to the 04 Donington ETCC round!

The other two I was at:

Eric Salignon's amazing overtaking around the outside at the Thruxton chicane on numerous occasions during the F3 weekend but the best by far was the move on Jamie Green - simply stunning...

The Macau 50th anniversary race - from setting foot in the country to leaving a little over a week later it was, without doubt the best race meeting I have attended in my life. High point was Lewis Hamilton's stunning drive in the first leg, low point was seeing James Courtney coming to terms with not winning.
Old 2 Jan 2004, 21:01 (Ref:825937)   #23
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All of the battles between Valentino and Sete in MotoGP. Aso watching Nicky Hayden come of age in the same sport.

Pierre Kleinubing in the RSX... anytime any place.

PD Cunningham doing backwards doughnuts in his SER. The race win was a tribute to a fallen soldier, the chief mechanic for the team he runs Real time Racing passed away. It was also the first win for the SER.

Paul Tracy finally winning a title.

Last edited by neilap; 2 Jan 2004 at 21:03.
Old 2 Jan 2004, 21:05 (Ref:825940)   #24
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Hmmm lots to remember last year. I'll not say what you are all expecting for the usual reasons.

For me one of the highlights was marshalling at the Nurburgring 24 hour, the Goodwood Festival of Speed and Revival meeting.
Old 2 Jan 2004, 23:15 (Ref:826054)   #25
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Les should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the weather!! Enjoyed it all