Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 11 Jun 2009, 23:56 (Ref:2480653)   #1
Redneck Rocket
Racer

Canada
Battersea, London
Redneck Rocket should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRedneck Rocket should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Weber DCOE's

My twin SU's are getting a bit knackered and I noticed that for the price new/rebuilt units I can probably set my Spit up on a single Weber 45 DCOE. Had a look on Ebay but they are all brand new. Any suggestions from the Ten-Tenths Massive where one might procure a 'pre-owned' item?
Old 12 Jun 2009, 06:56 (Ref:2480734)   #2
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think you want to question why someone would sell one second hand unless its knackered! They are used on so many engines that a prepper will always keep a spare one and its not something that you normally replace unless damaged... I would bite the bullet and buy new
Old 12 Jun 2009, 07:03 (Ref:2480737)   #3
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Spanish Webers are an inferior copy of the Italian originals, poorly casted and machined by comparisson. I've also heard of several people suffering engine fires using them (possibly sticking floats)

If you can find a good Italian set/one with straight spindles and good bearings buy and rebuild, its easy enough and overhaul kits, jets, chokes and trumpets etc are all readily available.

I've only ever run Italian carbs on my cars and a punctured float aside have never suffered any problems with them.

they're one of few things I wouldn't recommend new.

however, to back up SImon, watch out for knackered ones, the two things I've mentioned as well as physical damage and corroded jammed accelerator pumps are the major failings on negleced abused units
Old 12 Jun 2009, 07:07 (Ref:2480739)   #4
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
so where would you find Italian ones and now you say that I do seem to recall being told the Spanish ones are not so good
Old 12 Jun 2009, 07:10 (Ref:2480741)   #5
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
they do get sold on fleabay and other places, its much easier to find a single as opposed to a matched pair . . . you need to check the specifics as well, progression drillings vary and can make set up near impossible on certain engines

I recently overhauled a 1965 pair of 40 DCOE 18's and they're like new in every respect for a few hundred quid and 4 hours work

If you have hoarding pikey nature you often end up with 10 of the things and can make a few good sets with some scrap left over and a load of useful spares . . . .not that I'd know anything about that
Old 12 Jun 2009, 07:54 (Ref:2480756)   #6
AndyV
Racer

England
Somerset, where the cider apples grow
AndyV should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Redneck

Dave Powell refurbishes Webers and Dellortos and may be able to help you. He did my twin DHLA's for my Spit and I'm very happy with them.

He has a blog:

http://www.crazyspitfire.blogspot.com/

and a lively web forum:

http://www.sideways-technologies.co.uk/forum/Blah.pl?

And he knows Spitfires very well so can supply them properly jetted (or at least as close as he can without tuning etc)

I've no commercial connection with him just I'm happy with mine.

Cheers
Andy
Old 12 Jun 2009, 08:25 (Ref:2480777)   #7
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
If you have hoarding pikey nature you often end up with 10 of the things and can make a few good sets with some scrap left over and a load of useful spares . . . .not that I'd know anything about that
I'm still thinking
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 12 Jun 2009, 10:52 (Ref:2480889)   #8
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
Spanish Webers are an inferior copy of the Italian originals, poorly casted and machined by comparisson. I've also heard of several people suffering engine fires using them (possibly sticking floats)
My spectacular BBQ at the Goodwood Revival last year was almost certainly down to the Spanish Webers which had been fitted against my wishes as "they looked better than the ones that had been on the car".

Don't touch is my advice.

Luckily I got out of the car in time and only suffered a ruined race suit and a heavy dent in my wallet to totally rebuild the car.
Old 12 Jun 2009, 13:22 (Ref:2481013)   #9
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
What causes fires with the Spanish ones that Italian ones don't? I've got a set of Spanish DCOE 9s and the casting on them looks OK and apart from seized accelerator pumps they have been fine over the 10 years I've had them. My mate has a new set of 48s and they look abysmal on the outside but he's not tried them yet so no report on how they perform.
Old 12 Jun 2009, 14:00 (Ref:2481034)   #10
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
esper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
look at the cast if they are not cracked at the air screws. some people tighten them up and break the casting . (?)
Old 12 Jun 2009, 14:25 (Ref:2481052)   #11
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Come to think of it I did have a small fire last year. They were prone to spitting back when cold and this soaked the foam filter in fuel, one day it backfired on start up and half destroyed the filter before I could open the bonnet and remove it.
Old 12 Jun 2009, 14:43 (Ref:2481074)   #12
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The floats tend to stick for some reason and they overfuel, fuel pours back out of the carb and onto a hot race engine, bang, up it goes.
Old 12 Jun 2009, 14:58 (Ref:2481088)   #13
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Did yours have plastic floats or brass, the brass ones can leak and cause flooding.
Old 13 Jun 2009, 14:24 (Ref:2481736)   #14
Redneck Rocket
Racer

Canada
Battersea, London
Redneck Rocket should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRedneck Rocket should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sounds like the original Italian items are the way to go. I'm not averse to reconditioning a worn carb - I have a friend who is pretty familiar with Webers so he could probably help. Will keep my eyes peeled at any autojumbles etc. and look for one I can rebuild/refurb. Ebay only seems to have new items for sale.
Old 21 Jun 2009, 02:58 (Ref:2487266)   #15
Slow M
Rookie

United Nations
Chicago's Western suburbs
Slow M should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have one.
Near Chicago USA.
Excellent cond.
spares
pm if you are interested and I'll send pics and details.
It's on a manifold for MG and has the linkages set up.

B

PS Knackered is a bad word for DCOE series carbs as they are almost infinitely rebuildable.
Old 30 Jun 2009, 17:23 (Ref:2494009)   #16
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Very good artical in "Retro cars " mag on overhaulling webbers. July issue. If you like i will photo copy and send.
Old 30 Jun 2009, 17:53 (Ref:2494038)   #17
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Can you scan and send via email Iain?
Old 30 Jun 2009, 18:02 (Ref:2494046)   #18
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Behave Tim.I will photo copy tomorrow and happily send snail mail. PM me adress all those that want a copy.