Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars. > New Zealand Motor Racing

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 22 Apr 2013, 09:51 (Ref:3237796)   #26
smokin'joe
Veteran

smokin'joe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Petch View Post
Live Television is not only very expensive, but can also hurt the potential spectator gate.
didn't this get discussed a few years ago when MSNZ decided 'live' was the best thing since .......... (insert fantastic invention here)??

not trying to say "i told you so", but after watching the ever decreasing crowds at Teir 1 events, i was unsure why NZST thought it was imperative to travel the same path to demise.
Old 22 Apr 2013, 10:05 (Ref:3237800)   #27
Blackpearl
Racer

Blackpearl is a back marker
Quote:
Live Television is not only very expensive, but can also hurt the potential spectator gate.

Unlike V8SC, V8ST receives no subsidies or grants from either central government or local bodies.
Running around at circuits which dont tend to have a crowd is not going to change that.

No one cares, big gaps between meetings interest is gone.
Old 22 Apr 2013, 23:15 (Ref:3238170)   #28
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
NZSTfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Unlike V8SC, V8ST receives no subsidies or grants from either central government or local bodies.
So is it true then that the TV package will be delayed by a week or so?
Old 23 Apr 2013, 04:53 (Ref:3238218)   #29
smokin'joe
Veteran

Quote:
boohoo...... did NZST help encourage the major upgrades at your local antiquated track???

i would be more worried about looking after series sponsors than sniveling over Ateed handouts.

When BNT sponsored Teir 1 they had live coverage and multiple repeats after the event .
what exposure are they getting now they are aligned with NZST??
Old 23 Apr 2013, 06:09 (Ref:3238227)   #30
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin'joe View Post
boohoo...... did NZST help encourage the major upgrades at your local antiquated track???

i would be more worried about looking after series sponsors than sniveling over Ateed handouts.

When BNT sponsored Teir 1 they had live coverage and multiple repeats after the event .
Well I guess there's more people that actually care now...
Old 23 Apr 2013, 21:04 (Ref:3238599)   #31
GT 86
Racer

GT 86 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Joe, you really have a chip on your shoulder re ST and Petch. Why dont you take your chip to another thread and get up someone elses nose.

On ST coverage, I too have heard they are going delayed. ST, NZV8, TLX, Toyota cant afford live coverage, hell even V8SC cant afford it either at certain rounds. Its a smart move going forward and may help to put a few mor bums on seats.

Great post Icarus, I like your train of thinking. I also hear this under 2K class has massive interest. We need new fresh faces as well as more punters pulling there cars out of the shed to help us all more enjoy our day out pumping our vains and egos and feel like we got value from it.
Old 23 Apr 2013, 21:22 (Ref:3238609)   #32
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Nice post, GT86. I have to say re live coverage, for a well patronised event like V8SC it makes sense, but the costs are monumental compared with delayed, and you get to edit out the boring bits like safety cars and have more camera angles too. If it's only by a week that's fine by me, especially as I do subscribe to the theory that it can take away bums on seats.

I always thought it was a mistake for the old NZV8's to go live, I did have a big problem with the races being delayed for about a month as they used to early on, but the next weekend (or even on demand at the end of the weekend) is fine by me.

I think it is a big pity that MSNZ did not have the balls to let ST run at this year's SC event, as it would have kept up momentum nicely for the series and would have been a crowd pleaser for sure.

There was plenty of enthusiasm for the cars that were parked outside of the circuit - but you have to ask yourselves, if the scheduling was the only reason MSNZ did not allow ST to race at the SC's, why were they not allowed to display inside the circuit either?

I really hope that there are some serious questions answered at this year's AGM.
Old 24 Apr 2013, 00:20 (Ref:3238660)   #33
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Here's an idea though, if live TV is too expensive, how about live streaming a few of the driver's in-car cameras? Add to that lap by lap live timing and it makes it a good event to watch if you can't get there and are from another part of the country.

Would be relatively cheap to implement I would have thought. You could even put a live track-cam somewhere, doesn't have to be HD quality and can just be fixed at a point of interest on the track like the start-finish.
Old 24 Apr 2013, 01:24 (Ref:3238668)   #34
smokin'joe
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT 86 View Post
Joe, you really have a chip on your shoulder re ST and Petch. Why dont you take your chip to another thread and get up someone elses nose.
really, guessing i touched a raw nerve, and as you could be one of two posters, and your alter ego has come out in response???.

i don't believe i am as one-eyed as many who have taken sides, as i have had plenty of cracks at Teir 1 for similar over-hyping of over priced attempts at entertainment.

i wouldn't consider it an outright attack either, but constructive criticism as the NZST series may have made a similar mistake as Teir 1 with getting bums on seats trackside

if you gona charge $30-50 for spectator entry to an event....... give them more than $10 of decent entertainment
Old 24 Apr 2013, 01:53 (Ref:3238674)   #35
Southern Man
Veteran

New Zealand
Southern Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=Mark Petch;3237749]

QUOTE]

You know it was only a few months ago that I was getting cried down for saying virtually the very same thing but live TV does have an effect on gate numbers and this really shows if the weather could be considered marginal where the spectators home is located for a large percentage of the spectators do travel some distance to attend events.

Delayed editied broadcasts allow for a proper package to be presented rather than taking ones chances on what might happen on the day and running with what turns up in front of a camera.
Old 24 Apr 2013, 02:44 (Ref:3238682)   #36
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
Well, as gutted as I am about this, I guess I can see the point behind it.

At the end of the day, ST need to make coin and some of that will come from fans filtering through the gates. More bums on seats means more bankable revenue.

And I agree with Carl that if it is delayed then at least the package can be tweaked to suit. Although in saying that I have always thought that the ST broadcast was pretty tight. Compared to say other live broadcasts such as F1 and V8SC. I've lost count of how many times the commentary in F1 suddenly drops off, or (and I can't remember which GP it was) the commentators forget the microphone is still on and their saying stuff they shouldn't.

I have also been disappointed with the live sky coverage of the supercars. In general it is what we used to see on CRC/GMS but with ad-breaks. Now with no or little ad breaks there are those 'odd' bits where no one is talking and the camera is just fixated on the camel-toe of the Jim Beam girl (fair enough!).

Anyway, it is what it is then, delayed coverage. As I say I'm not happy about it but I am a nobody in the M/sport world, just simply a fan....who incidentally wouldn't mind sitting down on a sunday arvo to catch some live or live-ish (e.g. day before or earlier that day) SuperTourer racing.

Ah well, anyone know for a fact what the delayed time will be? 1 week has been suggested, but does anyone actually know?

Cheers
Old 24 Apr 2013, 04:46 (Ref:3238709)   #37
ascott
Rookie

New Zealand
Auckland
ascott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ending live TV coverage is a disappointment - seems a backwards step. I struggle a bit with the idea that live TV can affect gate numbers as in my case live TV makes no difference as to whether I attend the event or not. I think it wouldn't be too difficult to conduct a survey to get a more definite understanding, but I guess it's a moot point really given cost is the main driver in this decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackpearl View Post
No one cares, big gaps between meetings interest is gone.
I agree with this also. I'm a fan of the series but the gap between rounds 2 and 3 is greater than 2 months, and then another 3 months before the endurance rounds start. I understand there are good reasons the schedule is what it is, but it does mean things drop off the radar a bit.

Maybe there is nothing that can be done in either case, but I'm concerned that these 2 issues will restrict the growth of the series.
Old 24 Apr 2013, 04:53 (Ref:3238712)   #38
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascott View Post
Ending live TV coverage is a disappointment - seems a backwards step. I struggle a bit with the idea that live TV can affect gate numbers as in my case live TV makes no difference as to whether I attend the event or not. I think it wouldn't be too difficult to conduct a survey to get a more definite understanding, but I guess it's a moot point really given cost is the main driver in this decision.

I agree with this also. I'm a fan of the series but the gap between rounds 2 and 3 is greater than 2 months, and then another 3 months before the endurance rounds start. I understand there are good reasons the schedule is what it is, but it does mean things drop off the radar a bit.

Maybe there is nothing that can be done in either case, but I'm concerned that these 2 issues will restrict the growth of the series.
If they are allowed to run at the SC event next year (and no reason they shouldn't) then that gap goes away for the first part. Winter break before the enduros start is fine, nobody wants to sit at a cold wet track in the winter really.
Old 24 Apr 2013, 07:20 (Ref:3238745)   #39
Blackpearl
Racer

Blackpearl is a back marker
Quote:

But look at the rort that was the tier 1 promotors........Did you forget about that?
Old 24 Apr 2013, 13:20 (Ref:3238883)   #40
smokin'joe
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackpearl View Post
But look at the rort that was the tier 1 promotors........Did you forget about that?
no, was mentioned above
Old 26 Apr 2013, 04:46 (Ref:3239505)   #41
Biggy G
Veteran

Biggy G should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Delayed coverage, Volt TV to produce. A shame really, be interesting to see if Shaun or Nigel would post the ratings comparing live and delayed?
Old 26 Apr 2013, 05:30 (Ref:3239522)   #42
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
on_to_it has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
When BNT sponsored Teir 1 they had live coverage and multiple repeats after the event.
And the geniuses who ran that promotions company went right down the toilet taking a few hundred grand of other peoples money. Looks like that wasn't a very sustainable business model don't you think?
Old 26 Apr 2013, 10:51 (Ref:3239621)   #43
smokin'joe
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by on_to_it View Post
And the geniuses who ran that promotions company went right down the toilet taking a few hundred grand of other peoples money. Looks like that wasn't a very sustainable business model don't you think?
and maybe all the reason why semi-live dosn't friggen work !!

hypothetical situation time captain sensible.

if i was a sponsor of a popular series, and parted out , lets say $300K for naming rights, and got 10 hours of TV coverage (some semi-live, others delayed repeats), then went with another series and got 3hours of semi-live coverage, and no repeats for the same money... is that value for money ???

BTW, the only connection i have with mentioned sponsor is that i buy an amount of product of them, thats all.
Old 26 Apr 2013, 22:39 (Ref:3239817)   #44
magic
Rookie

New Zealand
magic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggy G View Post
Delayed coverage, Volt TV to produce. A shame really, be interesting to see if Shaun or Nigel would post the ratings comparing live and delayed?
Are you saying Volt Tv are now covering V8ST? awesome news!!!! but i haven't seen that mentioned anywhere else. have ya got a link to the info there Biggy?
cheers
Old 26 Apr 2013, 22:41 (Ref:3239818)   #45
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
if i was a sponsor of a popular series, and parted out , lets say $300K for naming rights, and got 10 hours of TV coverage (some semi-live, others delayed repeats), then went with another series and got 3hours of semi-live coverage, and no repeats for the same money... is that value for money ???
That's a "creative" question I think, because the former "popular series" you mention was a mere shadow of it's former self last summer, and could no longer offer what it had in the past. Therefore you are unable to genuinely compare them because the goal-posts had moved. The "new series' however was exactly that; something new but with most of the teams and drivers that people had followed in the "old" series. The only decent package on the table really.

To be blunt, I think BNT missed the boat by sitting on the sidelines, watching and waiting. If they thought going with the "new series" had commercial risks, perhaps they could have negotiated a sponsorship that diminished those risks. Perhaps they tried but couldn't reach an agreement, I don't know.

But I do believe there was a missed opportunity in that first season for a "new series" sponsor.
Old 26 Apr 2013, 22:54 (Ref:3239820)   #46
magic
Rookie

New Zealand
magic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggy G View Post
Are you saying Volt Tv are now covering V8ST? awesome news!!!! but i haven't seen that mentioned anywhere else. have ya got a link to the info there Biggy?
cheers
Old 27 Apr 2013, 00:22 (Ref:3239831)   #47
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
Volt TV....hmmmm are they the people who produced the NZV8 shows this year? if it is they did a rubbish job of it even though there were so few cars and the field was weak

If it does go to volt (and there is nothing mentioned on their website) what does mean for TV3?

Some clarification from V8ST or TV3 would not go amiss here.
Old 27 Apr 2013, 01:07 (Ref:3239845)   #48
bluespur
Racer

bluespur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Perhaps Volt are making the film and TV3 are showing it

Understand that is pretty common practise

Volt are pretty experienced is Motorsport and have a number of staff who are Motorsport enthusiasts not the least is Dave Hedge.
Old 27 Apr 2013, 01:59 (Ref:3239862)   #49
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZSTfan View Post
Volt TV....hmmmm are they the people who produced the NZV8 shows this year? if it is they did a rubbish job of it even though there were so few cars and the field was weak
That might be a bit harsh. I'm only guessing here, but their efforts may have been hampered by a lack of budget. You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear without money!
Old 27 Apr 2013, 05:38 (Ref:3239890)   #50
HProject
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
HProject should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHProject should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by on_to_it View Post
That might be a bit harsh. I'm only guessing here, but their efforts may have been hampered by a lack of budget. You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear without money!
If the current commentary squad is retained then it's already twice as good a broadcast as the NZV8 coverage this year.
Closed Thread