Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 22 Feb 2018, 17:34 (Ref:3803222)   #176
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by djinvicta View Post
Cheers E.B.. After the crap!....It starts about 4.30 minutes in.
Looked like a bring your own torch event, I could barely make it out in the gloom!
Old 22 Feb 2018, 18:11 (Ref:3803231)   #177
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
Looked like a bring your own torch event, I could barely make it out in the gloom!
Presume that was in the Silverstone Wing garages. Hope they put some heaters in for the assembled throng! (Or was the applause dubbed.....?)
Old 22 Feb 2018, 18:14 (Ref:3803234)   #178
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
imo legitimate for them to claim the 2009 Brawn-Merc title winner as their own.
So IMHO, they shouldn't count the Brawn win as their own as they have had enough success as the 2010+ team without having to pad it by also claiming the 2009 Brawn championship.

Yes, Brawn used Mercedes power (but so have McLaren who won championships with Mercedes power). And yes they bought Brawn a handful of days after the 2009 championship season ended. But if they are going by team ownership transfer, then why not include all history of that team (Tyrrell -> BAR -> Honda -> Brawn -> Mercedes) and include something like Tyrrell's 1971 championship?

I think stuff like this shouldn't care over when there is a substantial change in ownership AND name.

Richard
Old 22 Feb 2018, 20:34 (Ref:3803250)   #179
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
So IMHO, they shouldn't count the Brawn win as their own as they have had enough success as the 2010+ team without having to pad it by also claiming the 2009 Brawn championship.
yeah fair point...it not like this is a team in desperate need for accolades to mention so i can see that its a bit unnecessary.

but why not track a team's linage, successes and failures, through the factory they operate out of?

for sure things get complicated when different manus have ran the same facility over the years but in this case close enough time frame, same engine, staff carry over that the connection works to for me.

also feel better that Merc claims 2009 as their own rather then Honda!
Old 22 Feb 2018, 20:46 (Ref:3803253)   #180
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
but why not track a team's linage, successes and failures, through the factory they operate out of?

for sure things get complicated when different manus have ran the same facility over the years but in this case close enough time frame, same engine, staff carry over that the connection works to for me.

also feel better that Merc claims 2009 as their own rather then Honda!
yeah, agree.

see: "enstone"/benetton/renault/lotus/renault - there's always a core group of people who have been at a team through multiple identity changes. mercedes has grown a lot but there's still quite a lot of them who date back to brawn.
Old 22 Feb 2018, 20:47 (Ref:3803254)   #181
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigo Montoya View Post
Ferrari is very nice. Interesting evolution of their design ahead of the sidepods. The little lip on the halo is cool, and so are the aero details on the mirrors. If I am not mistaken they have managed to sneak in a curved T wing down low attached to the fin in the back.

The wheelbase is very clearly longer, and it is tiiiiiiight in the back!
What little lip on the Halo, I thought the Halo was standard throughout the teams?
Old 22 Feb 2018, 21:31 (Ref:3803263)   #182
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
see: "enstone"/benetton/renault/lotus/renault - there's always a core group of people who have been at a team through multiple identity changes. mercedes has grown a lot but there's still quite a lot of them who date back to brawn.
I agree with both of you. Unfortunately there is no easy/official way to celebrate those teams that have had many names and owners, but still have a significant level of continuity from a location and staff perspective.

I like that there is an identity of something like "The Enstone Team", but I am also able to celebrate something like "The Benetton era" as a stand alone thing and not confusing that with later iterations of the same team. Same goes with the short lived Brawn GP. The group that made up Brawn GP made that magical championship happen before they were "Mercedes". Hence me defending who "owns" that championship even if today many of the players are the same.

Cheers!

Richard
Old 22 Feb 2018, 21:32 (Ref:3803264)   #183
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
What little lip on the Halo, I thought the Halo was standard throughout the teams?
I believe base Halo is standard, but I think teams were allowed to create some limited level of bespoke aero treatments which are mounted on the Halo.

Richard
Old 22 Feb 2018, 21:35 (Ref:3803265)   #184
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Nope - they can play with the aero on the halo.

But by far the coolest thing are the little wings inside the mirrors, which appear to direct airflow down into a duct in the sidepod below it. I expect both the aero on the halo (also on the Alfa) and the mirrors will be copied by everyone. The long curved t wing is pretty cool too.

The mirrors and halo can be seen in photo 7 at
https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/...os-680398.html

Last edited by Inigo Montoya; 22 Feb 2018 at 21:42.
Old 22 Feb 2018, 21:38 (Ref:3803266)   #185
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I believe base Halo is standard, but I think teams were allowed to create some limited level of bespoke aero treatments which are mounted on the Halo.

Richard
No wonder Ferrari were so keen to rubbish the Screen after one lap.
Old 22 Feb 2018, 21:45 (Ref:3803270)   #186
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
No wonder Ferrari were so keen to rubbish the Screen after one lap.
One of my earlier speculations on why Ferrari didn't like the windscreen concept was that they may have felt they already had something (aerowise) in the works via the Halo.

Richard
Old 22 Feb 2018, 22:09 (Ref:3803276)   #187
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
One of my earlier speculations on why Ferrari didn't like the windscreen concept was that they may have felt they already had something (aerowise) in the works via the Halo.

Richard
At the time I thought it might have something to do with that and still do.
Old 22 Feb 2018, 22:43 (Ref:3803280)   #188
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I agree with both of you. Unfortunately there is no easy/official way to celebrate those teams that have had many names and owners, but still have a significant level of continuity from a location and staff perspective.
true no easy way to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
dont want to derail the launch thread so final thought on this subject...

looking again at the picture there is a dayglow yellow stripe after the 2009 year which is a nice bit of detail and a shout out to the Brawn year i assume.

so maybe a liberty they should not have taken but done with enough class that i dont mind them claiming 2009 as their own!
Old 22 Feb 2018, 22:52 (Ref:3803281)   #189
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
They didn’t bother claiming all those BAR and Honda titles.
Old 23 Feb 2018, 02:03 (Ref:3803291)   #190
HDTVKSS
Veteran

HDTVKSS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
They didn’t bother claiming all those BAR and Honda titles.
Because JV claimed them first....
Old 23 Feb 2018, 07:03 (Ref:3803319)   #191
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
The McLaren MCL33

Old 23 Feb 2018, 07:51 (Ref:3803330)   #192
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
The McLaren looks the best car so far in my amateur opinion. Like the sidepod intakes, they seem to have left this area uncluttered compared to some of the others.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk
Old 23 Feb 2018, 07:58 (Ref:3803331)   #193
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
Zak Brown should contact AG Barr regarding sponsorship!

Old 23 Feb 2018, 08:01 (Ref:3803332)   #194
karting
Racer

karting should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow. I thought the HAAS livery was bad... 🤮
Old 23 Feb 2018, 08:22 (Ref:3803333)   #195
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by karting View Post
Wow. I thought the HAAS livery was bad... 🤮

In your opinion......

Orange with blue works for me!
Old 23 Feb 2018, 08:45 (Ref:3803338)   #196
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Works for me. Alarming lack of stickers on the car.....

I thought Zak was supposedly the (self proclaimed?) latterday Guy Edwards. Sell a fridge to an eskimo and all that.
Old 23 Feb 2018, 08:46 (Ref:3803339)   #197
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
The McLaren looks the best car so far in my amateur opinion. Like the sidepod intakes, they seem to have left this area uncluttered compared to some of the others.
Not cluttered by sponsors either.
Old 23 Feb 2018, 09:02 (Ref:3803348)   #198
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
I love the livery blue and orange work really well together ...
Old 23 Feb 2018, 09:36 (Ref:3803358)   #199
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Works for me. Alarming lack of stickers on the car.....

I thought Zak was supposedly the (self proclaimed?) latterday Guy Edwards. Sell a fridge to an eskimo and all that.

and don't forget Honda used to pay them 100 million $, now they have to PAY 30 million for their engines
Old 23 Feb 2018, 09:40 (Ref:3803359)   #200
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
The MCL33 on track...