Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 18 Feb 2000, 20:08 (Ref:6919)   #1
Joe Fan
Veteran

Joe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJoe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

If you haven't seen it, check it out as it surely will be on all the sports highlights reels tonight and this weekend. Geoff Bodine had a horrifying crash in the NASCAR Craftsman Truck Seriest race today at Daytona today. I thought Geoff Bodine was surely dead and ESPN withheld the replays until it was confirmed that he and five spectators were alright. Geoff has multiple factures (facial, elbow and both ankles) but was conscious and alert at the hospital and fortunately will live.

This was one of the worst crashes I have seen in NASCAR in a long time, since Ricky Craven's crash at Talladega in 1996. I am just glad that the spectators and Geoff Bodine came out of that as well as they did.
Old 18 Feb 2000, 20:21 (Ref:6920)   #2
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
NASCAR, Bodine and the fans are lucky that his disintegrating truck didn't get through the fence. From what I have read and seen in still images it is one of the scariest crashes ever. Here is a pic...

Old 18 Feb 2000, 21:49 (Ref:6921)   #3
jamie928
Rookie

jamie928 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Whoa!!! I was sitting in a sports bar near work.(we got out of work early due to a snow storm) The race was on one of the big screens.When Bodine crashed I got the same sick feeling I had when G.Moore crashed. The entire bar went quiet. The crash was the most violent one I've ever seen. I was relieved to find out Geoff Bodine was alive and his injuries were not life threatening. I just found out that several spectators were injured. I hope not badly.

[This message has been edited by jamie928 (edited 19 February 2000).]
Old 18 Feb 2000, 21:59 (Ref:6922)   #4
Joe Fan
Veteran

Joe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJoe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Here is another scary picture of Bodine's accident.

Old 18 Feb 2000, 23:48 (Ref:6923)   #5
Joe Fan
Veteran

Click here for some still frames of the accident from ESPN www.members.tripod.com/~vintagemods/geoffbodine.html
Old 18 Feb 2000, 23:55 (Ref:6924)   #6
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seeing the replay and listening to the commentators comments eerily reminded me of Greg's crash and even more of Jeff Krosnoff's in 1996.

Goeff and several others are very lucky to be alive. It has been a very bad past few months for open-wheel racing in the US, and I hope that none of it will spread to the tin-tops.
Old 19 Feb 2000, 00:12 (Ref:6925)   #7
Joe Fan
Veteran

What is really hard to believe is seeing this wreck where Geoff Bodine lives compared to the crash that killed John Nemechek in a NASCAR Craftsman truck in 1997. Nemechek's fatal accident looked very minor compared to quite a few wrecks but definitely not even anywhere close to Bodine's crash.

I thought for sure Bodine was dead especially when it appeared that he got t-boned after his car was essentially roll cage scrap. When I seen Nemechek's wreck I had no idea that he was dead until I noticed that he never took down his window net and the rescue crew started reacting frantically.
Old 19 Feb 2000, 01:49 (Ref:6926)   #8
jamie928
Rookie

jamie928 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The past six months really brings to light how dangerous motorsports of any kind really is. If you think about it, racing is truley the last real blood sport. I hope this is the last of this type of thing we will see for a long time.
I stopped thinking crashes were cool about twenty years ago. I hate to watch them and wish they weren't part of racing. Thats only wishful thinking on my part but I know it comes with the sport.
I wish Geoff B. and the injured fans a speedy recovery.
I don't know how much more of this stuff I can take.
Old 20 Feb 2000, 23:15 (Ref:6927)   #9
Jared
Racer

Jared should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was at Daytona Friday, sitting in the Roberts Tower, somewhere right in the middle of where he hit the fence and where he came to rest. I immediately thought the worst, that he was dead, especially after having witnessed Greg Moore's fatal accident on live television last year. I still cannot believe that he is alive now. I thought I saw him about to come out of the truck, arms flying and all. On RPM2Day, they took a close-up of the remains of the truck and his helmet. The visor was scrapped from where his head hit the track. Just amazing. Thank God.

Still, though it was overshadowed by The Wreck, the Trucks did put on the best show of Speedweeks.
Old 20 Feb 2000, 23:22 (Ref:6928)   #10
Jared
Racer

Jared should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now that I think about it, when FOX takes over NASCAR coverage next year, they might use that footage in "When Race Cars Attack."