Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 25 Mar 2017, 01:21 (Ref:3721302)   #51
Valker
Veteran

Finland
Tampere, Finland
Valker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10TENTHS View Post
The "no comment" from Koiranen does not bode well for their continued presence in GP3.
Koiranen bros. will not race in GP3 in 2017. According to team manager "Afa" Heikkinen, there are no financial conditions to succeed. Hence the team will focus on Spanish and NEZ formula 4 serieses.
Old 25 Mar 2017, 14:55 (Ref:3721421)   #52
10TENTHS
Veteran

10TENTHS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valker View Post
Koiranen bros. will not race in GP3 in 2017. According to team manager "Afa" Heikkinen, there are no financial conditions to succeed. Hence the team will focus on Spanish and NEZ formula 4 series.
I expected as much when they didn't turn up to pre-season testing.
Old 9 May 2017, 15:54 (Ref:3732494)   #53
10TENTHS
Veteran

Looks like the field is complete, for now: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_G...ms_and_drivers
Old 10 May 2017, 22:14 (Ref:3732734)   #54
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Not that special is it? Jack Aitken vs George Russell for the title?
Old 11 May 2017, 11:37 (Ref:3732788)   #55
10TENTHS
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzzor View Post
Not that special is it? Jack Aitken vs George Russell for the title?
There's been a lot of driver turnover in the series lately.
Old 13 May 2017, 15:51 (Ref:3733239)   #56
10TENTHS
Veteran

Who was it that said Pulcini would be no good?
Old 13 May 2017, 20:22 (Ref:3733280)   #57
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10TENTHS View Post
Who was it that said Pulcini would be no good?
That was me, decent result today but let's see over the course of a season, i was more impressed with Lorandi on the podium in a Jenzer car to be honest.
Old 14 May 2017, 10:06 (Ref:3733345)   #58
10TENTHS
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cds_uk View Post
That was me, decent result today but let's see over the course of a season, i was more impressed with Lorandi on the podium in a Jenzer car to be honest.
Lorandi switched to GP3 last year and his first few races weren't nearly as impressive. We'll see what happens.
Old 14 May 2017, 10:34 (Ref:3733351)   #59
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Perhaps Jenzer have had a turn of fortune? Maini wins race 2, Lorandi on the podium again. Good results for what is probably the least favoured team. Boccolacci has also taken a real liking to these cars...
Old 14 May 2017, 16:11 (Ref:3733435)   #60
10TENTHS
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits In A Red Bull View Post
Perhaps Jenzer have had a turn of fortune? Maini wins race 2, Lorandi on the podium again. Good results for what is probably the least favoured team. Boccolacci has also taken a real liking to these cars...
Jenzer have gotten podiums before (and they were 3rd in the inaugural GP3 season), it's just that ART has the inherent 4-car data advantage and better funded drivers.
Old 13 Jun 2017, 16:30 (Ref:3740911)   #61
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This series still exist? 😏
Old 14 Jun 2017, 06:05 (Ref:3741084)   #62
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Next round Austria F1?
Old 21 Jun 2017, 21:44 (Ref:3745874)   #63
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tux View Post
This series still exist? 😏
The car is homologated until 2019. The teams have a contract that expires only in 2008. You won't kill the animal so easily.

There’s nothing quite like Autumn in New York. But it’s not only the leaves that change. Something in the air brings out the true colors in everyone.
Old 22 Jun 2017, 15:11 (Ref:3746071)   #64
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juntos View Post
The car is homologated until 2019. The teams have a contract that expires only in 2008. You won't kill the animal so easily.

There’s nothing quite like Autumn in New York. But it’s not only the leaves that change. Something in the air brings out the true colors in everyone.
I was just having a bit of sarcasm at how spread out the calendar is.
Old 13 Jul 2017, 17:48 (Ref:3750973)   #65
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Looking good if you drive for ART this weekend
Old 19 Jul 2017, 10:16 (Ref:3752744)   #66
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Somehow the corner entry speed to Brooklands was more impressive for the GP3 cars than the F1 cars. Not sure if this was to do with scale or noise or what but I was surprised by it first time through, looked really fast.
Old 12 Aug 2017, 23:25 (Ref:3759062)   #67
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker
Is it just me or there are waves of fear in the GP3 paddock regarding the future of the series? Most people looked at Bruno Michel with terror and with fear but Gerhard Berger is not a man to drink it all and say, I feel fine.
Old 13 Aug 2017, 18:38 (Ref:3759195)   #68
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Good question.

The FIA F3 / GP3 merger seems a terrible idea.
If GP3 is renamed FIA F3, then there would be two specs with the same name.
If GP3 is dropped, then the performance gap between F3 and F2 would be excessive.

In any case, the basic question is how can each series survive financially. We well know that motorsport has become ridiculously expensive. Junior formula racing is a notable example.

Yet GP3 changes cars every three years, and has an overseas race in Abu Dhabi.
And FIA F3 has just five teams, and budgets are outrageous for a 200hp car.
Old 13 Aug 2017, 21:55 (Ref:3759220)   #69
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Good question.

The FIA F3 / GP3 merger seems a terrible idea.
If GP3 is renamed FIA F3, then there would be two specs with the same name.
If GP3 is dropped, then the performance gap between F3 and F2 would be excessive.

In any case, the basic question is how can each series survive financially. We well know that motorsport has become ridiculously expensive. Junior formula racing is a notable example.

Yet GP3 changes cars every three years, and has an overseas race in Abu Dhabi.
And FIA F3 has just five teams, and budgets are outrageous for a 200hp car.
But then F3 is a far, far better barometer of talent!
Old 14 Aug 2017, 14:00 (Ref:3759338)   #70
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
F3 cars have just 200hp. It's far from the same as driving a 400hp or 600hp car. That's why there's several steps in the ladder.
Old 15 Aug 2017, 15:37 (Ref:3759546)   #71
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Surely the issue is that certain teams/constructors have monopolies, and therefore they are the only teams/constructors with any real demand, and so they push their budgets upwards and upwards as the prospective drivers are willing to pay more and more for a good seat? This then negates the smaller teams/constructors, as track time with them is deemed to be a waste of a season (or why bother when you can get a Prema seat?). Just open the formula up for constructors and things may end up being better? E.g. if someone developed a car better than the Dallara F3 car that cost less and a small team was the first to run it - suddenly the monopolies have been negated, all for a lower price!

The way I see it is that junior formula racing is too far down the road to nowhere, but the overwhelming desire of the FIA to have complete control over all potential junior formulae, and deny relevance to any viable competition through the needless superlicense points system (see Formula Renault Eurocup, only surviving due to prestige and the fact it offers actual value for money, especially when compared to F3/GP3 - which many good graduates have previously skipped without much hinderance to their career) means that there is no way out. The FIA is digging around looking for the treasure to save themselves but are really digging a grave for single seater racing.

A merger between the two also depletes the potential routes a driver can take - thus depleting the market for single seater drivers looking to move into F2 with "relevant experience." If there is meant to be a pyramid to the top, then it is a failure. If it is a ladder, then we'll have to get used to thin grids and few teams - the recipe for catastrophically high budgets for top drives. After all, there are many ways to climb a mountain, but only one way up a ladder.

A merger thus means that F2 will either thin out or be depleted in quality. Naturally, F1 will be next in line to be struck (although, given the current rates of rookies, it may be able to weather this). And also, what good are all of the F4 series' if only 10 from around Europe can graduate within FIA "licensed" series? Young drivers will pick up on this quickly - or at least management and teams will. We're already seeing many young drivers desert single seaters and aim for GTs or prototypes, or even touring cars! They know the system is broken, stagnant whilst simultaneously inflating and self-destructing.

This is very much me unpacking my thoughts on the issue, so sorry for the waffle, and inevitable incoherence.

The basic idea is that the regulated, closed nature of junior formulae is the core reason for these issues, the results of which are driving costs upwards as it puts severe, fairly strong limits on how success can be achieved - and that's what the money is for. Similarly, the FIA attempting to elevate their series above outsider competition is also a recipe for disaster, leading to depleted grids, less teams, thus higher costs and a greater exodus of young drivers to other disciplines.

Other issues I haven't mentioned are how this may actually be unavoidable and incurable due to a advanced technology in these cars, and of course logistics of a merger, although the post itself covers far more than just the merger!
Old 27 Aug 2017, 05:43 (Ref:3761845)   #72
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Race 1 was an ART domination, Calderon had a nightmare.
Old 28 Aug 2017, 15:38 (Ref:3762357)   #73
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Niko Kari looks set to be dropped by Red Bull:

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns37188.html
Old 28 Aug 2017, 17:30 (Ref:3762386)   #74
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not surprised - he hasn't done a good enough job. But I don't see who is the next big Red Bull superstar. I thought perhaps Verschoor but he's been disappointing this year. Ticktum is good but I'm not sure if he'll be able to shake the baggage of "the incident".

Makes me think that Red Bull's next move is to pick up a slightly more established driver in the junior ranks like they did with Da Costa, Lynn and Stoneman.
Old 28 Aug 2017, 18:39 (Ref:3762406)   #75
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by p-matt View Post
I'm not surprised - he hasn't done a good enough job. But I don't see who is the next big Red Bull superstar. I thought perhaps Verschoor but he's been disappointing this year. Ticktum is good but I'm not sure if he'll be able to shake the baggage of "the incident".

Makes me think that Red Bull's next move is to pick up a slightly more established driver in the junior ranks like they did with Da Costa, Lynn and Stoneman.
Regarding that, when did Red Bull pick up Ticktum?