Home  
Site Partners: Veloce Books OldRacingCars.com  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > The Chassis History Archive

Old 23 Feb 2008, 02:43 (Ref:2135491)   #76
MikeManNZ
Racer

MikeManNZ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anyone know which Ralt Mark Pedersen used in the 89/90 summer series in New Zealand?

If so I know the next owner and I am 99% sure I know where the car went from there.
Old 30 Mar 2008, 16:32 (Ref:2165284)   #77
David McKinney
Veteran

David McKinney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are you sure about the date?
I don't have Pederson in an RT4 until 1992
Old 5 Jan 2009, 01:33 (Ref:2365348)   #78
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Miller
RT4-592,

This is all from Graham Watson's notes.

Purchased by Ralt Australia Oct. 85 , for A.G.P Nov 85 , driver Jeff McPherson .
To N.Z. for series 86 , drv J. McPherson , 3 x 1st places.
Back to Australia , for Gold star series, Sandown [ Bap Romano 2nd] , Wanneroo 1st. Adelaide 2nd.
Then Calder [ Ken Smith] 1st. Winton 1st.
Then Oran Park 3rd , Keith McClelland , then Ken Smith again at Amaroo, dnf.
Then back to NZ Oct/Nov 86 , David Brabham in the 3 race Global Series, then also David Brabham 1987 Jan. series.
notes unreadable , but seems to say sold to Richard ??

It looks like maybe Ken Smith owned it from sometime in 1986 all through to 1998 , when it was sold to Ray Stubber in Western Australia , now owned by Richard Carter in Sydney about 2 years or so .

Bryan.
Bryan the "Richard...." may have been Richard Lester.... who ran a Ralt about that time for a season or two.
Old 19 Apr 2009, 18:12 (Ref:2444867)   #79
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
JagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shelton Brothers

Greetings,

I'm a new visitor to this thread, and just stopped in with a couple of photos and a bit of information in case someone is interested. I don't have chassis numbers, or a significant background with the Ralt marque. Apologies for not reading the thread in its entirety, and perhaps duplicating some info.

Pictured below is the RT-4 of Tom Shelton, Florida USA at the 1982 SCCA Runoffs in Atlanta, Georgia. Both Tom and his (quicker) brother Steve received their new Ralt chassis in August/ September of 1981, at Stimola Race Preparation in New York. The supposition would be that if they were not consecutively built, they were darn close to it.

Prepped by Bill Maher and Wayne Menaker respectively, they were run for the first time in an SCCA National at Bridgehampton NY. Both cars competed at the 1981 SCCA runoffs, as a result of the drivers having qualified for invitations in the March 79B's they ran for most of the season.

A horrific rainstorm turned the race into a splashfest, and Tom's car sufferd some moderate damage and a DNF in the event. Thay's about all I can contribute as first hand: my understanding is that both brothers successfully campaigned the RT-4's during 1982 and qualified for the 1982 Championship race, the event where these photos were taken. There is an accompanying series of photos from the race that I have posted on the end of the March 80A thread, for those who may have an interest.

Since this was a privateer car from new, and probably had run less than a dozen events to that point, my assumption is that the first photo is a pretty good illustration of a "bone stock" RT-4. As mentioned, my specific knowledge does not permit me to comment otherwise.

Drive it like you stole it,

Andrew Bernstein
Attached Thumbnails
Tom Shelton, RT-4, 1982 SCCA Runoffs.jpg   Tom Shelton, RT-4, 1982 SCCA Runoffs 2.jpg  
Old 20 Apr 2009, 17:07 (Ref:2445687)   #80
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
JagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And furthermore....

After studying the replay....

These photos were incorrectly identified by the photographer/ archivist.

These were taken in 1981, and this SCCA Championship event was likely the second time this RT-4 was at the track. I believe the livery for Tom's car was different in 1982.

For certain, I can say that the mechanic pictured aft of the car in the first photo is Bill Maher. I always thought he wore those little shorts to attract the attention of female passersby, and in so doing divert their attention from his prematurely balding head!

Bill was chief mechanic and my teammate for Rex Ramsey's ASR entry at the 1982 SCCA Championships. So these photos are 1981.

Andrew Bernstein
Old 21 Apr 2009, 07:53 (Ref:2446089)   #81
Chris Townsend
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Chris Townsend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Shelton brothers RT4s were indeed consequetive chassis numbers and whilst they had done one pro race by the time of the 1981 SCCA finals they were pretty new at that point.

One car, I think Tom's originally but later used by Steve when Tom retired, is now in Kentucky, owned by redoubtable Solo exponent Bill Engle Sr, having earlier been run in Solo by Ron and Vicky Flier and raced in SCCA by Bill Wittkamper, Bruce Poehlmann and Les Mankowsky.

The other was sold in 82 or 83 perhaps to John Clark of Virginia, who I'm still trying to trace, and then to Freddy Rhemrev as his first Atlantic car. The whereabouts of this car is unknown
Old 23 Apr 2010, 22:15 (Ref:2678735)   #82
DSwig
Rookie

DSwig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ralt RT4-467

Can any of you provide any information or history on Ralt RT4 4-67, which I believe to be a 1986 car?

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you!
Old 24 Apr 2010, 00:53 (Ref:2678805)   #83
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
Sorry DS,

No insight for you from me. Seeing the thread, it reminded me to post a note if anyone was looking for more history on the Shelton cars.

The eulogy posted for the late Joe Stimola brought Billy Maher online and looking around, so I can put anyone in touch with him who has a pertinent question.

Free DriftwooD!
Old 24 Apr 2010, 07:52 (Ref:2678871)   #84
Pete Brennan
Rookie

Pete Brennan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=DSwig;2678735]Can any of you provide any information or history on Ralt RT4 4-67, which I believe to be a 1986 car?

Hi, That is not a good number for an 86. Youi need to advise the AM number on the alloy front bulkhead,stamped above the clutch master cylinder. Failing that, there is a number on the fuel cell.Good luck. Peter
Old 30 Apr 2010, 02:50 (Ref:2682001)   #85
marc sproule
Racer

marc sproule should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RT-4 pics.....

I haven't uploaded many of them yet, but I do have pics of a goodly number of RT-4s raced professionally in this part of the world. I will be adding more as I come across them and scan them.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/4668198...7623186773769/
Old 17 Jan 2011, 21:41 (Ref:2817042)   #86
Mark Mc
Rookie

United States
New Hampshire USA
Mark Mc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ralt RT 4 Chassis 592

Gentlemen,

I happen to be on-line doing some research and couldnt help but drop by this site to register for a vist....and to corrrect some history being presented here.

I owned RT 4 chassis 592 and campained it in SCCA for a good number of years. The car was purchased from Jensen Motorsports, the same folks that ran the series right up to it's conclusion last season. Jensen bought the car from McNeil as was mentioned in an earlier post here. The car so far as I know never left the states for it's life time. I sold the car several years ago to a fine gent from Georgia. I still have 592's log book complete with entries for Driver Johnny O'Connell. I'm very happy to correct this history here as it seems some folks think there is a ghost 592 chassis some where down under. Please feel free to send any questions my way and I'll be happy to respond with what I know. Mark
Old 30 May 2011, 19:31 (Ref:2888365)   #87
PHREDY
Rookie

PHREDY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RALT RT 4

Have acquired a Ralt RT 4, chassis number 4-426.
Does anyone know anything about this car?

Cheers
Old 30 May 2011, 22:08 (Ref:2888433)   #88
Pete Brennan
Rookie

Pete Brennan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ralt RT4 ID#

Hi, can you advise AM number off front bulkhead above clutch master cylinder please. Should then be able to give you info required. Regards Peter
Old 5 May 2012, 22:43 (Ref:3070054)   #89
dlrugh
Rookie

dlrugh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello, I have acquired a RT4 with no chassis plate. The LF shear plate covers the AM number except for the A and below it an 8.

The Marston fuel cell number is 39909, Cure 4Q/82.

It may have come with FT 200-1560.

Can anyone help identifying the chassis number??

Many Thanks,
David
Old 23 Sep 2012, 08:56 (Ref:3140189)   #90
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
Living history, don't know if this would help anyone's research but it was fun to watch:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hbl1K...feature=relmfu
Old 28 Nov 2012, 09:13 (Ref:3172474)   #91
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Townsend View Post
178 finished March 80 with black bodywork. Loaned by works to Psachie Racing for Geoff Brabham at Long Beach where it appears with red bodywork. Car then probably to Geoff Wood [with yellow bodywork] and used in 1980 North American series. Perhaps returned to works and taken to Australia prior to NZ Pacific series and destroyed in testing by John Smith [AS 15 Jan 81 p.50]
Interesting.
Old 28 Nov 2012, 09:30 (Ref:3172481)   #92
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

allenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridallenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What you've quoted is five years old and contains a probably and a perhaps. Chris's research continued after we stopped frequenting this forum and he has subsequently uncovered 178's complete history. It turns out that it wasn't the Geoff Wood car.
Old 28 Nov 2012, 10:02 (Ref:3172493)   #93
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbrown View Post
What you've quoted is five years old and contains a probably and a perhaps. Chris's research continued after we stopped frequenting this forum and he has subsequently uncovered 178's complete history. It turns out that it wasn't the Geoff Wood car.
Thanks for the update Allen.
Old 2 Jan 2013, 19:16 (Ref:3183929)   #94
Scooteria
Rookie

United States
Scooteria should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ralt RT4 history please

I now own and need info on RT4 chassis AM 86 100 22. Any info is appreciated.

Thanks
Old 26 Feb 2013, 08:39 (Ref:3211024)   #95
Charlie Thomasen
Rookie

Charlie Thomasen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Townsend View Post
Trying to trace what a group of early RT4s in NZ series in the late 80s might have been.
any information appreciated on the cars of
Peter Haskett
Stuart Murphy [81 spec cars in the 1986 series]

Richard Lester
Neil Allport
Charlie Thomasen [81 spec cars in the winter 87 series] this was my car.
Steve Richards 82 spec car in that series

Also, in the 1985 series Rick Shea ran three cars for Tom Blackaller, Riley Hopkins and the Cameron brothers Grant and Rick [yes I know that's four drivers, the last three swapped between two cars]
Two of these cars may have stayed in NZ with Ken Smith, one probably in the constituent parts to which a Cameron had reduced it. [Probably chassis 284] Any idea what happened to these cars? Did anyone make any notes on these cars, or take any photos? Does anyone remember driving, or owning, an ex Shea RT4?

Chris
Hi Chris, I would have some photos of the RT4
Old 7 Mar 2013, 02:37 (Ref:3215352)   #96
Scooteria
Rookie

United States
RT 4 History wanted please

I now own and am looking for early history and info on RT4 chassis AM 86 100 22. Any info is appreciated. It is currently configured as a 2 liter Can Am racer with a BDG Cosworth, but I want to find the early and original history.

And... info on the chassis number: AM 86 100 22, does this mean this is the 100th RT4 made and #22 in 1986? Or some other coding?

Thanks,
Scot Morton
Old 7 Mar 2013, 09:38 (Ref:3215448)   #97
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

allenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridallenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Scot, what recent history do you have on the car? A couple of these have been mentioned in recent years and it may be one we've already looked into. How many years can you take it back?
Old 10 Mar 2013, 03:59 (Ref:3216572)   #98
Scooteria
Rookie

United States
Hi Allen, thank you for the reply. Here's what I know;
From Bonham's auction website where it was a "no-sale" at auction in 2010...

" It was built in its current configuration in the early 1990's with a Lola envelope body by Richard Barker who campaigned it successfully in SCCA C/Sports Racing with power from a 1600cc Lotus-Ford engine. Barker scored many wins and set several track records with it in the years 1995-98. It was later converted to 2-litre Group 7 (Can-Am) specs and raced by Andy Greene. It was acquired by Andiamo Racing in 2007 and immediately torn down for a complete rebuild to make it competitive in SVRA race group 7... it has competed in only two races. In September Alex Quattlebaum III drove it at Virginia International Raceway, finishing second in class and group behind Dave Handy's 406 cubic inch McLaren and setting a fastest lap time of 1:59.487 while just starting chassis development. At the beginning of 2009 it raced in the Enduro at Mid-Ohio driven by Dave Handy where it was again second in class and group with a lap time of 1:30.029."

I purchased the car from Wire Wheel, a classic/race car dealer in Florida in August 2012.

Any history you have is greatly appreciated. Also, an explanation of the chassis numbering system for AM 86 100 22.

Thank you again. Cheers,
Scot
Old 15 Jul 2013, 19:51 (Ref:3278076)   #99
Bill Gillespie
Rookie

Bill Gillespie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey Chris,

I bought an '84 RT4 from Tim Fortner and ran it in SCCA nationals/Runoffs in 1985. I rented it to a driver who destroyed it in the ST Petersburg street race after the Runoffs. I'm looking for the data plate, because that was about all that was left. I think it was 521, or 512......does this sound correct ?
Regards,
Bill Gillespie
Atlanta..USA
Old 27 Apr 2015, 05:20 (Ref:3531087)   #100
dereklola
Racer

dereklola should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This replies to the above March 2013 posts on an RT4 "CanAm" car.

I researched the history of this car for Wirewheel.com in 2012 after realising that the provided information was not 100% accurate. It was not a CanAm car but an SCCA C-Sports Racer originally with a Cosworth BDA 1.6L engine. The following information was provided to me by Robert Schneider of Detroit who built the car for his own racing up to and including the SCCA Runoffs in 1990 and 1991.

The car was one of a batch of five RT4s (numbers RT4-670 through -674) delivered via Ralt America in February/March 1987 (probably built in late 1986) for the Formula Atlantic Pro Series for drivers such as Michael Greenfield, John Lloyd, John Thompson, Tom Knapp and Bill O'Connor.

This particular car (#672) was later sold by John Lloyd (of Chicago) to Robert Schneider (of Detroit) in late 1988 or early 1989. Bob ran a sports car business and was a successful SCCA driver who had been racing a Lola S2000 modified to C Sports Racer specs - wing, engine etc.. Having bought this Ralt he then adapted the two-seat body of his Lola to suit the center seat configuration and made molds for the final panels. He won many National races with the car and qualified for the Runoffs in 1990 and 1991 where he showed well but actual success eluded him. The economic recession then caught up with him and he was not able to race it further.

He sold it to a Richard Barker in Florida who raced it occasionally. It then passed to a motorcycle racer (who apparently "had other problems in life"). It sat unused for some time before being renovated to its current condition, including the BDG 2L engine and new color scheme, by Andy Greene. Andy is known for his vintage racing and vintage car renovation capabilities. After renovation it was owned by someone in Atlanta before ending up at Andiamo Racing.

Andiamo Racing kept it in excellent condition and showed it at several prestigious car shows before trying to sell it, unsuccessfully, through Bonhams. The Bonham's catalog description is not 100% accurate.

Although not a genuine 2L CanAm car it is certainly in the same genre, if somewhat bigger and presumably heavier than those cars from a decade earlier.

The AM number mentioned by the original poster is of course the Arch Motors tub number. The Ralt serial number is as noted above.

I hope this help. Derek