Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 28 Apr 2008, 08:39 (Ref:2188945)   #1
SidewaysFeltham
Racer

United Kingdom
UK and France
SidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Brands Hatch: Changes:

Sort of history.

Any comments and or input please on the following.

Last time I visited Brands, Paddock looked quite different.

I believe that the original adverse camber right from the top, is now not the same. Obviously the run off is changed: less threatening than the earth bank and advertising hoarding!

Moss used to call Paddock, "Star Tamer". I used to think it was like driving off the end of a cliff!

So any "user" comments from those who drove the circuit back in the late 60s and early 70s and still do?
Old 28 Apr 2008, 13:10 (Ref:2189176)   #2
macca
Racer

macca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Around 1974 the circuit was altered - the apex of Paddock was pulled inwards to give run-off where the old paddock prevented the bank being moved back. For many years the old tarmac formed the run-off at the exit. The camber stayed basically the same, and there was an additional bump at the apex where the new tarmac crossed where the old inner kerb-line had been.

At the same time the GP paddock was built behind the pits, which meant tightening Bottom Bend and South Bank, and building a new straight further back into the South Bank spectator area.

Paul M
Old 28 Apr 2008, 14:01 (Ref:2189216)   #3
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The film "Grand Prix" has some quite interesting shots of Brands during that time.
Old 28 Apr 2008, 20:26 (Ref:2189565)   #4
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Like before Dingle Dell was ruined you mean.
Old 28 Apr 2008, 21:08 (Ref:2189606)   #5
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by White flag man
The film "Grand Prix" has some quite interesting shots of Brands during that time.
Yes I "starred" in that film with James Garner. But I think he got paid more than me, I think we got a free hot dog .
If you want my autograph I'll put them on ebay
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 29 Apr 2008, 08:26 (Ref:2189885)   #6
SidewaysFeltham
Racer

United Kingdom
UK and France
SidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Many thanks for the input guys.

I'm now looking for good pics of Paddock as it was.
Old 29 Apr 2008, 08:49 (Ref:2189923)   #7
dazbaz_99
Veteran

United Kingdom
Aylesbury
dazbaz_99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
May I recommend this excellent book on the History of Brands Hatch

I think that will have everything you need to know, I have a copy and it covers layout changes.