Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 28 Oct 2014, 21:52 (Ref:3469525)   #1051
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Based on the offseason rumours it looks like after just one season "united" that the grid next year will barely be larger than either one of the series pre-"merger". Scary.

Hopefully the GT3 regs in 2016 give it a shot in the arm. GTLM-Am is a step in the right direction. If the 2017 LMP2 regs are just carbon tubbed DPs this thing will die quickly hopefully so we can start over. Having said that, as Fogelhund always alludes to, it is not primarily the cars that are driving the teams away so a complete mindset re-think is what is really required.
Old 28 Oct 2014, 21:54 (Ref:3469526)   #1052
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
It's pretty different when all cars in your class are doing that, not just specific group...
Pay attention. The DP's are in low downforce kit as well. No rear diffuser and no front dive planes.
Old 28 Oct 2014, 22:32 (Ref:3469540)   #1053
Mike Hedlund
Veteran

United States
Redwood City, CA
Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada ALMS fan View Post
Hopefully the GT3 regs in 2016 give it a shot in the arm. GTLM-Am is a step in the right direction.
Personally, I'm a little nervous about 2016. I think the series has missed the boat on the GT3 evolution. The costs for running a GT3 car continue to increase and that's one of the main reasons GTD is struggling so much.. there just isn't *that* much money available for a large ProAm class (funded by gentleman drivers). While the GT3 cars are light years more fun to drive and look much cooler than GTD cars, the fact remains the money needs to come from somewhere.

Every successful class starts with a good ratio of value to performance and eventually prices itself out, only to be replaced with something else. I feel GT3 is going that route and it's best days are already behind it (in terms of the value to performance ratio). There will be some stellar grids around the world (and I suspect the 2016 Daytona 24 will go down in history as the biggest and baddest GT3 grid seen before or after), but after that I fear a downward spiral.

I hope the ACO/FIA/IMSA and the manufactures see the same thing and save it before it's too late... but based on history I don't think that'll be the case. Let's just hope something else comes quickly to replace the value to performance equation before we're left with 10-15 car grids (across all classes) in North America.

Think of it as a wave with a surfer paddling out. You're not sure if it's the perfect wave or not, but sometimes you just have to say **** it and drop in. As it stands, IMSA is dropping into the GT3 wave rite before it breaks, which doesn't leave you much time to enjoy the ride. :-)

-mike
Old 28 Oct 2014, 22:34 (Ref:3469541)   #1054
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Pay attention. The DP's are in low downforce kit as well. No rear diffuser and no front dive planes.
The DPs were still allowed to make changes to certain areas of aero specifically for Daytona, P2s were dead on locked in to spec used for another event
Old 28 Oct 2014, 23:05 (Ref:3469548)   #1055
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hedlund View Post
Personally, I'm a little nervous about 2016. I think the series has missed the boat on the GT3 evolution. The costs for running a GT3 car continue to increase and that's one of the main reasons GTD is struggling so much.. there just isn't *that* much money available for a large ProAm class (funded by gentleman drivers). While the GT3 cars are light years more fun to drive and look much cooler than GTD cars, the fact remains the money needs to come from somewhere.

Every successful class starts with a good ratio of value to performance and eventually prices itself out, only to be replaced with something else. I feel GT3 is going that route and it's best days are already behind it (in terms of the value to performance ratio). There will be some stellar grids around the world (and I suspect the 2016 Daytona 24 will go down in history as the biggest and baddest GT3 grid seen before or after), but after that I fear a downward spiral.

I hope the ACO/FIA/IMSA and the manufactures see the same thing and save it before it's too late... but based on history I don't think that'll be the case. Let's just hope something else comes quickly to replace the value to performance equation before we're left with 10-15 car grids (across all classes) in North America.

Think of it as a wave with a surfer paddling out. You're not sure if it's the perfect wave or not, but sometimes you just have to say **** it and drop in. As it stands, IMSA is dropping into the GT3 wave rite before it breaks, which doesn't leave you much time to enjoy the ride. :-)

-mike
Hi Mike, it was nice meeting you at Long Beach. The cost creep seems to repeat itself over and over in classes. I remember when we were all debating this in the GT2 days. All forms of racing are becoming prohibitively expensive (a friend of mine who used to race motorbikes professionally just told me last week that a fork that used to cost him $10k would now cost him $100k at the same level!) and as such we are inundated with more and more spec parts and cars. Costs are contained by limiting technical freedoms in an effort to gain entries (you), and in gaining those few entries the series loses a lot of fans (me), as the cars no longer capture their imagination. Indycar and DP are perfect examples of this. It is a tough situation for a series, try to make money off entrants or develop a fan base and monetize that with sponsors. It is hard to explain to potential new fans that the 458 or R8 they see on the track has less power and technology than its street cousin. As for missing the GT3 boat, as you well know, IMSA has no one to blame but the ALMS management first for taking the short term Porsche cash and then Daytona with their arrogance of insisting on bespoke rules. Frankly, if PWC added a few enduros and had separate sprint and endurance titles do we really even need TUSC? The prototypes are becoming glorified track day cars. The grid is killer in PWC next year, the rules allow real racing, all they need are a few tweaks.
Old 29 Oct 2014, 01:58 (Ref:3469584)   #1056
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada ALMS fan View Post
It is hard to explain to potential new fans that the 458 or R8 they see on the track has less power and technology than its street cousin.
That's why you won't explain it to the new fans, just as you don't want to explain with what 'magic' some dragged off Z4 or Camaro is able to beat 458 and Gallardo...
Old 29 Oct 2014, 13:38 (Ref:3469694)   #1057
wdave0
Veteran

United States
NY
wdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
That's why you won't explain it to the new fans, just as you don't want to explain with what 'magic' some dragged off Z4 or Camaro is able to beat 458 and Gallardo...
Starting to look like you won't need to explain it to new fans because there won't be any. There doesn't seem to be any sparkle to the product, TV coverage is terrible, firing the best commentator is really bad, endless yellows, though masked by excessive commercials on TV, spoil the live experience, the results are obviously managed and half the classes are boring cars. Grand Am used to practically give away Sat. nite bleacher tickets at Daytona to get new faces, it didn't work and GA Mk2 isn't much better.
Old 29 Oct 2014, 15:29 (Ref:3469730)   #1058
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
We are headed the same direction that AMA did.

No other way about it. I feel bad for the guys that will lose jobs over the next few years....

IMSA/NASCAR/TUSC have one more season to get it right..I think that's it. 16/17 won't matter..won't be much left but a dumpster fire behind the Speedway offices..

It's funny when people comment on "how positive it is" in the paddock at the end of the season when compared to the start..

Did anyone stop to think the negativity stopped because it's just not worth complaining about? Kind of a "they don't listen, so why bother talking" type attitude.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 29 Oct 2014, 15:42 (Ref:3469737)   #1059
Dodge_Swinger
Racer

United States
International Space Station
Dodge_Swinger should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDodge_Swinger should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
PWC used to be a SUPPORT race at Petit and some other races. Now teams like Turner and Flying Lizards are leaving TUSC and going to PWC. For whatever reason, they feel like they're getting a better deal over there.
Old 29 Oct 2014, 15:49 (Ref:3469740)   #1060
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Maybe the positive attitude is coming form teams who know they won't be back in 2015?

At Petit 2013, Dyson had a rep (from England) of the company which made their hybrid unit, plus a cutaway version in a lucite box for everyone to examine. Absolutely enthralling.

Not really anything to say about Petit 2014 after that ...
Old 29 Oct 2014, 16:38 (Ref:3469752)   #1061
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMedic9019 View Post
We are headed the same direction that AMA did.
And it's funny how all of us who called it from a mile away as soon as the announcement was made that Daytona had bought the ALMS were called Chicken Little. It didn't take a genius to figure out this is exactly what would happen. Where are all the trolls now? I would have been happy to have been proven wrong, believe me.
Old 29 Oct 2014, 16:59 (Ref:3469763)   #1062
Breitling24
Veteran

Breitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBreitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge_Swinger View Post
...Flying Lizards are leaving TUSC and going to PWC.
Inside info? The team have not made an announcement yet.

"Travel makes a wise man better, and a fool worse." Thomas Fuller
Old 29 Oct 2014, 17:02 (Ref:3469765)   #1063
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
Maybe the positive attitude is coming form teams who know they won't be back in 2015?
Confucius say... Cows who are unhappy, need a different pasture to graze in...
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 29 Oct 2014, 17:03 (Ref:3469766)   #1064
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breitling24 View Post
Inside info? The team have not made an announcement yet.
Will you be surprised if this is the direction they go?
Old 29 Oct 2014, 17:20 (Ref:3469768)   #1065
Breitling24
Veteran

Breitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBreitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Will you be surprised if this is the direction they go?
Frankly, I won't be surprised by any direction they go, except to Indy or nascar. Seth and his customers have many options.
But until notification comes from the team...

Old 29 Oct 2014, 17:26 (Ref:3469771)   #1066
Brownj
Racer

United States
Georgia, US
Brownj should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I figured Jonathan Bomarito would end up back at Speesource after the Viper program was canned. Confirmed today:

http://sportscar365.com/imsa/tusc/bo...azda-for-2015/

I was hoping he could land another factory GT ride, because he is darn good. But there really aren't any available.
Old 29 Oct 2014, 17:33 (Ref:3469772)   #1067
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Good to see him with a job, but slightly disappointing to see him relegated to the slowest P car. Or will they be much improved this year?
Old 29 Oct 2014, 17:38 (Ref:3469776)   #1068
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breitling24 View Post
Frankly, I won't be surprised by any direction they go, except to Indy or nascar. Seth and his customers have many options.
But until notification comes from the team...
It all but has..

While there has been no confirmation, it's pretty obvious Seth doesn't want to spend that volume of money for a car that's incredibly hard to drive, expensive to operate, and isn't going to get him wins...or even a sniff.

Turn the R8's back into full GT3 cars, go out and bomb around in PWC using a buy a ride plan, and it's a winning business. See what happens from TUSC on the outside, just like Dyson...
Old 29 Oct 2014, 20:18 (Ref:3469807)   #1069
BullMan
Veteran

BullMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Good to see him with a job, but slightly disappointing to see him relegated to the slowest P car. Or will they be much improved this year?
Well, he shouldn't be that out of practice, speed-wise, since the Mazda was about as quick as the GTE cars.

And no, I don't imagine Mazda will be much better next year unless they ditch the engine.
Old 29 Oct 2014, 21:15 (Ref:3469823)   #1070
Deleted
Veteran

That engine is the only real reason why they're there (and only part of that operation that actually has Mazda in it...) so no, they're continuing their pointless crusade as it is.
Old 30 Oct 2014, 13:31 (Ref:3469962)   #1071
wdave0
Veteran

United States
NY
wdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
That engine is the only real reason why they're there (and only part of that operation that actually has Mazda in it...) so no, they're continuing their pointless crusade as it is.
They're considering massive changes to the engine, particularly the head and accepting a little less stock content. (Don't as for a ref because I saw it weeks and thousands of words ago). It seems to me a good trade - a 50% stock engine that's competitive or a 90% stock unit that's an embarrassment.
Old 30 Oct 2014, 15:25 (Ref:3469997)   #1072
Breitling24
Veteran

nm

Old 30 Oct 2014, 15:35 (Ref:3469999)   #1073
Breitling24
Veteran

Quote:
It all but has..

While there has been no confirmation, it's pretty obvious Seth doesn't want to spend that volume of money for a car that's incredibly hard to drive, expensive to operate, and isn't going to get him wins...or even a sniff.

Turn the R8's back into full GT3 cars, go out and bomb around in PWC using a buy a ride plan, and it's a winning business. See what happens from TUSC on the outside, just like Dyson...
And would you be surprised if they don't run the R8's?

Old 30 Oct 2014, 17:47 (Ref:3470021)   #1074
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Want to know what teams and drivers think about the switch between GTD and PWC?
http://www.racer.com/more/viewpoints...orld-challenge

Also, in other news, looks like we won't see Jon Field return to the track next year..... Because he's going to jail......
http://autoweek.com/article/united-s...n=awdailydrive
Old 30 Oct 2014, 21:31 (Ref:3470063)   #1075
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Rcz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's just too expensive...

Endurance racing is simply too expensive compared to sprint racing.

That's it, that's why there leaving. So even if they went GT3 two years ago it may not matter.

But, there is a way, and that's through a good TV package. And probably a little luck if the economy improves soon.

They could shorted the smaller races to 2hours but split the Protos and GT cars. Could help the TV and sponser for smaller teams in the long run