Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 30 Jul 2007, 01:41 (Ref:1976058)   #26
norman-normal
Veteran

norman-normal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why did you watch??? Don't you have 180 channels like the rest of us?
Old 30 Jul 2007, 01:43 (Ref:1976060)   #27
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
What I choose to watch and comment on is my own decision, just as it is yours to watch what you wish and comment on it.

It would be disingenuous on my part to comment on the quality of racing without actually watching the races.

Last edited by JohnSSC; 30 Jul 2007 at 01:46.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 30 Jul 2007, 08:46 (Ref:1976202)   #28
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
we did watch the same race. John it seems fans of Champ Cars enjoy races. Makes sense really?
Old 30 Jul 2007, 09:28 (Ref:1976234)   #29
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
I am perfectly capable of watching and enjoying a race. How I classify that race: "Great" or "Dull" or "Best Ever" or "Average" or "Amateur" will be based on my own preferences and desires.

Enjoying a race, or racing, is not predicated on whether one is a "fan" of a particular series or not.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 30 Jul 2007, 12:22 (Ref:1976350)   #30
mp356a
Veteran

United States
SE PA USA
mp356a should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The bumping is due more a matter of that terrible racing venue than the drivers. That place is really just awful.
When they were racing, the racing was good. Servia is great fun when he has a good car and his duel with Jani was terrific.
As an F1 fan there was maybe too much passing (kidding - LOL) but it was good.
Also, I agree that Clarke's form has been pathetic, especially when compared to his teammate.
I wish the cars were more sorted out though. We don't have enough cars in CC to have them falling out for "unknown" reasons....
Old 30 Jul 2007, 12:31 (Ref:1976357)   #31
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There was good passing. I like the circuit as its very fast, challenging and good places to overtake. There was 1 bump and that was because someone moved into the first pit slot and braking with Power right behind and couldn't do anything. Could happen anywhere coming straight off a corner.
It was a great race, good battles.

And Clarke has been terrible this year.
Old 30 Jul 2007, 14:15 (Ref:1976418)   #32
JamesRamone
Veteran

England
Just outside Leeds, West Yorkshire
JamesRamone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Recently i thought Champ Car races were abit average. But i enjoyed last nights race. Clarke needs to raise his game, as does Legge, Figge, etc

The track was good i thought, abit different to some streets, and provided decent close racing.

I was in chat for a while before and mentioned i was going to put some money on Doornbos at 20/1 - However i didnt bother, what an idiot i am.

Good drive though, and by Jani, i can see Jani winning sometime soon

Down F0rce: "More than a few, but the strangest one was when Jos Verstappen and Enrique Bernoldi scored a one-two for Arrows and were apparantly so impressed by each other's driving, they sang "Wind Beneath My Wings" to each other in the press conference."

Brilliant
Old 30 Jul 2007, 15:17 (Ref:1976462)   #33
mp356a
Veteran

United States
SE PA USA
mp356a should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We (the lovely Mrs & I) are just not fans of the (too) narrow steet circuits. I was a big fan of Jeff Krosnoff and I guess I have just never gotten over his accident.
Old 30 Jul 2007, 19:56 (Ref:1976636)   #34
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
San Jose isn't really my kind of circuit either, although it is a bit better than the 2005 specification!

It's not an enjoyable track for races from my point of view.

I am yet to watch last nights race, so can't comment on that yet.
Old 30 Jul 2007, 21:31 (Ref:1976719)   #35
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Well it was nice seeing Bourdais not in the top 5. And Doornbos have a great battle with Jani. Super rookies!

There was overtaking and good racing. I thought it was one of the better races of the year.

The circuit could be a bit wider but its so much better than the farce of 2005. It does create good racing I believe.
Old 31 Jul 2007, 15:38 (Ref:1977358)   #36
drewdawg727
Veteran

United States
New York
drewdawg727 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddrewdawg727 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree that Figge is incompetent in these cars, but just remember that it IS his father who lets him drive! So unless Kalkhoven or any of the other guys sit him down, it looks like Figge will be around.

In other news, Great racing indeed. I thoroughly enjoyed that race.
Old 31 Jul 2007, 23:04 (Ref:1977714)   #37
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
I did enjoy the race but I agree with John , its up to the individual how they classify a race , I have found certain races this year boring but others on here have said they were good.

This is a discussion forum so lets discuss the facts (which john has raised and to an extent I agree) but dont come on and shoot him down because he didnt enjoy the race.

Maybe the next round he will and you wont.
Old 31 Jul 2007, 23:29 (Ref:1977724)   #38
norman-normal
Veteran

Fat chance.
Old 1 Aug 2007, 02:30 (Ref:1977796)   #39
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
I thought the white line helped a good bit with passing, but the track is hideous otherwise. I am curious to see if they (CC) do anything like that at RA.

Despite the proclamations of some folks here, I have enjoyed some of the races although I have not been able to see them all.
Old 2 Aug 2007, 00:33 (Ref:1978696)   #40
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC
Despite the proclamations of some folks here, I have enjoyed some of the races although I have not been able to see them all.
I just fell out of my chair.
Old 2 Aug 2007, 05:45 (Ref:1978770)   #41
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I didn't catch San Jose, but plan to be at Road America. What was this "white line" that you speak of?
Old 2 Aug 2007, 09:51 (Ref:1978914)   #42
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
Well, believe it or not, it is completely possible to separate partisanship for or against a series or series owner and watch and/or enjoy a race.

This simple fact seems to escape a number of folks who seem to prefer the all or nothing approach.

there have been aspects that I have liked and some that I have not. There are races that I feel are useless (Long Beach/ San Jose) and others I liked (Vegas - but the attrition rate was a negative).

Fewer assumptions could reduce the number of chair-related accidents...
Old 2 Aug 2007, 14:07 (Ref:1979085)   #43
Leighton Irwin
Veteran

Canada
Victoria Harbour (on Georgian Bay)
Leighton Irwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mountain: Was it a Panoz chair?
Old 2 Aug 2007, 14:18 (Ref:1979094)   #44
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
John I thought Long Beach and Vegas were the poor races. I thought San Jose was much better imo. And Houston was ok as Portland but Toronto, Cleveland and Mt.Tremblant were fantastic races. Edmonton was ok.

Last edited by luke; 2 Aug 2007 at 14:23.
Old 2 Aug 2007, 16:20 (Ref:1979173)   #45
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
John, Somehow I don't think having races in the California market is useless. I'd love for CC to be at Laguna Seca, but seeing as there are no open weekends on which CART can run reasonably unrestricted, I don't see that happening at the moment. The DP01 isn't necessarily designed with ovals in mind, and there are no permanent road courses up to standard in SoCal, so Long Beach is it down there. And I'd rather see CART at San Jose than on the neutered Sears Point layout the IRL uses.

And please, would someone fill me in on the "white line" thing from San Jose?
Old 2 Aug 2007, 17:28 (Ref:1979222)   #46
norman-normal
Veteran

Purist, the white line is painted from the braking, through the corner. The new rules are: if two cars are about to enter the white line, the lead car must chose to be on the right side or the left and cannot, there after, until they are past the "white line" (through the turn).

It was O Servia's idea and very good one, according to all directly concerned. It greatly facilitates passing and minimizes car damage.
Old 2 Aug 2007, 17:41 (Ref:1979234)   #47
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
The race in itself was pretty decent, I thought, but the track layout makes me want to rearrange the contents of my skull all over my livingroom.

I have no problem with the supposed "narrowness" of the track, as it all seems perfectly reasonable in the context of a street race. HOWEVER, that the track is a collection of right-angle bends...I just cannot describe how much I truly despise that in a track layout.
Old 3 Aug 2007, 12:32 (Ref:1979843)   #48
cptkablamo
Veteran

Australia
cptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I enjoyed the race - Champ Car knows how to do street tracks and they have done well with what they have in San Jose...

...as for Figge, he maybe a Phillippe - terrible to start with then after a while gets going and could become competitive...