Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 26 Jan 2011, 23:26 (Ref:2821081)   #751
MihokS5
Racer

MihokS5 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
Amazing find! It looks killer and the R15 looks unchanged
Old 26 Jan 2011, 23:30 (Ref:2821082)   #752
MihokS5
Racer

MihokS5 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I just noticed that there are two R18's there. There #1 and #2
Old 26 Jan 2011, 23:36 (Ref:2821084)   #753
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by MihokS5 View Post
Amazing find! It looks killer and the R15 looks unchanged
I'm loving the new car personally. It's difficult to tell how a car will truly look until you see it on a track. It's fair to say the R18 looks amazing.
Old 27 Jan 2011, 00:52 (Ref:2821100)   #754
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
It looks like James has scooped some folks!
His usual cracking shots, too, with his new kit. I look forward to his shots from the race!
Old 27 Jan 2011, 01:20 (Ref:2821120)   #755
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
The only thing that says that there may be something up with the R15 is the large wheel bulges. And even at that, there may be something else going on--like Audi actually fixing the suspension setup issues from last year in testing without resorting to the wider tires.

It also seems that the front diffuser has more of a bulge to it inboard of the front fenders, but that can be (and seems to be at this stage) and illusion/camera angle.

And to be truly on topic, it seems that there are obvioulsy at least two working R18s in the world now. And while the R15 is in sprint race trim, the R18's seem to be in LM spec.
Old 27 Jan 2011, 02:23 (Ref:2821131)   #756
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
The only thing that says that there may be something up with the R15 is the large wheel bulges. And even at that, there may be something else going on--like Audi actually fixing the suspension setup issues from last year in testing without resorting to the wider tires.

It also seems that the front diffuser has more of a bulge to it inboard of the front fenders, but that can be (and seems to be at this stage) and illusion/camera angle.

And to be truly on topic, it seems that there are obvioulsy at least two working R18s in the world now. And while the R15 is in sprint race trim, the R18's seem to be in LM spec.
If it (the R15) was a test mule they wouldn't have bothered painting it (note the R18). That's the same exact car that raced at Petit last year. And as I've been saying since December, sources close to Audi have reaffirmed to me that the ACO is not allowing any changes to pre-2011 cars. This is as laid out in the 2011 regulations and as reiterated by the ACO. I really don't know how to make that any clearer.
Old 27 Jan 2011, 06:56 (Ref:2821189)   #757
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
I still think the cars will rely on smoother aero this year. Not so much more downforce, but the ability to punch a hole through the air 'cleaner', have a better drag coefficient. Anyone agree?
Old 27 Jan 2011, 08:28 (Ref:2821229)   #758
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by MulsanneMike View Post
If it (the R15) was a test mule they wouldn't have bothered painting it (note the R18). That's the same exact car that raced at Petit last year. And as I've been saying since December, sources close to Audi have reaffirmed to me that the ACO is not allowing any changes to pre-2011 cars. This is as laid out in the 2011 regulations and as reiterated by the ACO. I really don't know how to make that any clearer.
So Audi will only race the R15+, and not the rumored R15++?
Old 27 Jan 2011, 08:30 (Ref:2821231)   #759
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
So Audi will only race the R15+, and not the rumored R15++?
"R15++" = R15+ with smaller restrictors, smaller boost, smaller fuel tank. End of story. Just read MulsanneMike's post(s).
Old 27 Jan 2011, 08:34 (Ref:2821233)   #760
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
"R15++" = R15+ with smaller restrictors, smaller boost, smaller fuel tank. End of story. Just read MulsanneMike's post(s).
This i know, But i was referring to the upgrades to the car indicated by the "+".
Usually Audi doesn't add something to the name, unless they have changed something major. (Like Rear at the front, tyre setup)
Old 27 Jan 2011, 08:36 (Ref:2821234)   #761
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
This i know, But i was referring to the upgrades to the car indicated by the "+".
Usually Audi doesn't add something to the name, unless they have changed something major. (Like Rear at the front, tyre setup)
Well we know the only changes on the car, we're not sure whether they amount to a slight name change. In any case, the changes they'd have to make don't affect the car on the outside and that's why it looks exactly the same.
Old 27 Jan 2011, 08:44 (Ref:2821240)   #762
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Not true. Just look at Audi's DTM cars. The changes between the R12 (2005) and R12+ (2006) and the R14 (2008) and R14+(2009) are very minimal. Externally these cars are the same.
Old 27 Jan 2011, 09:06 (Ref:2821245)   #763
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
But then again, the Audi R8 had major body changes done to if in '01, and more in '02, and it never got a + designation. Same for the R10, especially by '08.

Either Audi is insulting our intelligence, or they have some cards they're not showing, and I'm not sure if it's wider tires--possibly some front suspension tweaks to overcome the grip problems from last year? Perhaps this speculation should be put in the/a R15 thread?

But then again, Audi doesn't appear to have a HD kit for the R18, or, for whatever reason, isn't running it (and we know that Audi had a HD kit for the R15 last year--mostly carryover bits from the '09 R15--but didn't use it until after Le Mans). Audi probably has those bits, and I know that they don't intend to run the R18 at Sebring, but are they willing to throw away Spa due to running an LM aero kit there? I doubt that, but it may depend on how the R15 does at Sebring and if the new Pugs have issues.

EDIT: Fourtitude has a piece on the R18 and R15 test at Sebring: http://forums.fourtitude.com/entry.p...n-Sebring-Test

Last edited by chernaudi; 27 Jan 2011 at 09:14.
Old 27 Jan 2011, 09:29 (Ref:2821252)   #764
sssssssss
Veteran

sssssssss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsssssssss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
james boone says the r18 did not have the pace of the r15+(+) at sebring this time around.
Old 27 Jan 2011, 09:49 (Ref:2821262)   #765
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Where did he say that? The fourtitude piece has some comments from him and he only says the R18 made less noise.
Quote:
There were two R18s running on the track (#1 & #2) and I think I only saw one R15++. I'm not sure of the drivers, honestly. It's tough to see the helmets in the closed cockpit LMPs. I've heard McNish is in town and I saw Dr. Ulrich on a golf cart in the infield. The R18s are quieter than the R15s (except for the two times I heard the cars having engine troubles). They almost sound like a Learjet taking off from a half-mile away. They will be very difficult to hear during an actual race.
Old 27 Jan 2011, 09:55 (Ref:2821263)   #766
sssssssss
Veteran

sssssssss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsssssssss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At the bottom of this page, his last (longer) comment, he says "The R18s seem to be fast but they didn't have the pace of the R15++":

http://www.flickr.com/photos/old_boo...472447/in/set-
72157625786787783/
Old 27 Jan 2011, 10:11 (Ref:2821270)   #767
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
Either Audi is insulting our intelligence, or they have some cards they're not showing, and I'm not sure if it's wider tires--possibly some front suspension tweaks to overcome the grip problems from last year? Perhaps this speculation should be put in the/a R15 thread?
Or you should just stop with this speculation

Face it, Marshall Pruett was wrong with his report of wide front tyres on the R15.

As Mike pointed out, just read article 19 of the 2011 rules
Quote:
The LMP1s having participated in at least one race organized according to the ACO specifications before 31/12/2010 will be admitted in 2011 under the condition to keep the full specifications of the 2010 season.
No changes will be permitted in 2011 apart from those necessary for the safety and for the adjustment of performances compared to the 2011 LMP1.
Also read the latest press release of Audi: http://www.audi.com/com/brand/en/exp...ms_driver.html
Quote:
For the opening round of the Intercontinental Le Mans Cup (ILMC) at Sebring (US state Florida) on March 19, Audi Sport Team Joest will compete with two Audi R15 TDI cars modified to comply with the new technical regulations.
Old 27 Jan 2011, 10:25 (Ref:2821277)   #768
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Quote:
Originally Posted by sssssssss View Post
At the bottom of this page, his last (longer) comment, he says "The R18s seem to be fast but they didn't have the pace of the R15++".
The R18 is still in its early development and testing, and it seems that they are using the Le Mans low drag aero. In fact Audi acknowlegdes that the R18 is not yet ready by racing the grandfathered R15 in Sebring.

BTW a direct link to the comment: http://www.flickr.com/photos/old_boo...57625789880123
Old 27 Jan 2011, 10:39 (Ref:2821284)   #769
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So much for it sounding like a 962 then...
Old 27 Jan 2011, 11:39 (Ref:2821308)   #770
sssssssss
Veteran

and also, that r15+ doesn't seem to be (totally) adapted to the new regs, since it doesn't have the shark fin. if it's still in last year's configuration, then it's rather natural to be quicker, since the 2011 regs are made to slow down the cars after the fastest le mans 24h of all times last year.
Old 27 Jan 2011, 11:55 (Ref:2821311)   #771
Lola T70
Racer

Lola T70 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sssssssss View Post
and also, that r15+ doesn't seem to be (totally) adapted to the new regs, since it doesn't have the shark fin. if it's still in last year's configuration, then it's rather natural to be quicker, since the 2011 regs are made to slow down the cars after the fastest le mans 24h of all times last year.
R15 I do not think it needs the fin as it is a grandfathered car.

Does anyone actually have any lap times instead wild rumour? But anyway, testing is just that, testing
Old 27 Jan 2011, 11:57 (Ref:2821312)   #772
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Grandfathered LMP1s do not need a shark fin.

In fact the ACO explicitely states in the rules that the performance of 2010 LMP1s will be balanced such that they are slower than 2011 LMP1s.
Old 27 Jan 2011, 12:03 (Ref:2821317)   #773
Lola T70
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
Grandfathered LMP1s do not need a shark fin.

In fact the ACO explicitely states in the rules that the performance of 2010 LMP1s will be balanced such that they are slower than 2011 LMP1s.
Bad news for Audi with Peugeot going to Sebring with their new car.
Old 27 Jan 2011, 12:20 (Ref:2821322)   #774
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Nobody knows whether ACO got the performance balance correct from the first time. In the rules I see that the restrictor size for diesel powered car is the same (2 x 33.5 mm) for 2010 and 2011 cars, only the turbo boost is different. So it is difficult to tell how much less power the R15 will produce compared to the new Peugeot.

Of course Audi can rely on the R15's reliability, good visibility in traffic and driver change advantage (under IMSA's 2 air guns rule) to compensate for a possibly slower race pace.
Old 27 Jan 2011, 12:22 (Ref:2821324)   #775
Lola T70
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
Nobody knows whether ACO got the performance balance correct from the first time. In the rules I see that the restrictor size for diesel powered car is the same (2 x 33.5 mm) for 2010 and 2011 cars, only the turbo boost is different. So it is difficult to tell how much less power the R15 will produce compared to the new Peugeot.

Of course Audi can rely on the R15's reliability, good visibility in traffic and driver change advantage (under IMSA's 2 air guns rule) to compensate for a possibly slower race pace.
All true but just going along the lines I doubt Peugeot will design a car to be slower than it's previous one.

Last edited by Lola T70; 27 Jan 2011 at 12:28.