Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 16 Sep 2011, 20:53 (Ref:2956574)   #1
Deemun
Racer

Deemun should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
McLaren AUTOSPORT BRDC Award 2011

This week Autosport published a list of possible candidates being put forward as finalists for the 2011 Award. Suggested candidates are (see Autosport dated September 15th pages 44-45):

Tom Blomqvist
Wayne Boyd
Jack Hawksworth
Josh Hill
Alex Lynn
Scott Malvern
Melville McKee
James Peace
Oliver Rowland
Will Stevens
Kenneth Thirwall
James Thorp
Kieran Vernon
Alex Walker
Josh Webster
Dino Zaparelli
Old 17 Sep 2011, 16:01 (Ref:2956909)   #2
Albeckinho
Racer

Albeckinho should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Malvern all the way.
Old 18 Sep 2011, 20:40 (Ref:2957752)   #3
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If Scott Malvern doesn't win it this year after the season he's had, then I for one will worry about the credibility of this award. It's a no brainer imho.
Old 19 Sep 2011, 19:53 (Ref:2958204)   #4
cleanup
Rookie

England
cleanup should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavio Galtieri View Post
If Scott Malvern doesn't win it this year after the season he's had, then I for one will worry about the credibility of this award. It's a no brainer imho.
Stand by for a suprise then, thumbs up for Scott but years gone by have shown "unusual" results. Wilson a few years back and more recently Smith, far better prospects in both of their years as proved in career results. They got it right with Williamson though, here's hoping!
Old 21 Sep 2011, 10:52 (Ref:2959009)   #5
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hi all,

As some of you may be aware I am one of the judges, so I just thought I would do a brief reminder of how it works.

Essentially, the six finalists are chosen based on what they have achieved during the season. This is the stage we are at now, hence the piece in the mag (which isn't an exclusive list by the way - others are eligible).

There are then two days of testing, usually in two or three different types of car, interviews with the people that run the cars and the finalists themselves. A winner is then chosen based on those test performances/feedback.

That explains why, in the past, some champions were beaten to the award by drivers that they beat in their series. Adam Christodoulou vs Alexander Sims is one that sometimes gets mentioned. Adam beat Alexander in Formula Renault in 2008, but Sims won the award.

I hope that makes things a bit clearer!

Kevin Turner
Autosport
Old 21 Sep 2011, 12:12 (Ref:2959039)   #6
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Kevin.

Thanks for that and I have just a couple of questions.

In Autosport Sept 15th there is a double page spread headlined "YOU PICK THE NEXT STAR" where you invite readers' nominations for the award, describe the eligibility criteria and emphasise the prestige and importance it has to the winner.

You have a response coupon and an email address clearly designed to engage readers in identifying that next winner.

In tiny print it also says "it only takes one vote for a driver to be considered".

What you have said in your post is that "the six finalists are chosen based on what they have achieved during the season." and "A winner is then chosen based on those test performances/feedback."

Now, I'm not an expert on editorial ethics but what I do know is that had that been a paid for advertisement it would have fallen foul on just about every level when it comes to misleading the consumer.

Since he or she are perfectly able to nominate themselves, how exactly am I helping to pick the next star?

Isn't this really a motorsport industry award? Highly desirable and prestigious of course, but chosen by a panel of insiders and experts not the public?

If it is why not just say so? There's nothing wrong with that.
Old 21 Sep 2011, 13:02 (Ref:2959061)   #7
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hi Flavio,

Fair question. My understanding is that it gives the readers the opportunity to nominate people. Obviously the judges have certain people we know we need to talk about, but the idea is to get other nominations from the public, which we will then discuss as well. You'd be surprised how few drivers/drivers' families nominate themselves!

So, essentially, the public is being asked/given the opportunity (depending on your point of view) to put forward drivers for discussion, which are then assessed based on what they have achieved during the season.

I don't believe this is a secret. As far as the final decision is concerned, yes it comes down to what happens during the tests.

For the other Autosport Awards, that is not the case. As far as I know, they are simply decided on the number of votes received.
Old 21 Sep 2011, 20:20 (Ref:2959241)   #8
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Sorry Kevin, just having a bit of fun.

The thought that somewhere out there, hiding in their room at home perhaps, exists a young, exceptionally talented, accomplished single-seater racing driver who is not only so terminally shy that he wouldn't he allow his mother to nominate him but your staff hadn't heard of him either made me laugh.

Looking forward to seeing the finalists!
Old 23 Sep 2011, 02:05 (Ref:2959802)   #9
boyndie
Rookie

Scotland
Scottish Highlands
boyndie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by krt917 View Post
As far as the final decision is concerned, yes it comes down to what happens during the tests.
Do you plan to publish the results of the relevant track / physical / media tests that are used to determine the "winner"? and, if so, will you show how these "scores" are weighted as a proportion of the overall result?

Would be good to see as I think it could be a close one this year!
Old 25 Sep 2011, 10:18 (Ref:2960600)   #10
cleanup
Rookie

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyndie View Post
Do you plan to publish the results of the relevant track / physical / media tests that are used to determine the "winner"? and, if so, will you show how these "scores" are weighted as a proportion of the overall result?

Would be good to see as I think it could be a close one this year!
Would be so interesting and stop all the sceptics but we`ve said it before, the judges do a great job and the scheme is fantastic for juniors to be put in the spot light for a while but to publish the results would be clear and easy and would mean that the best driver would have to win, now that would be something, better still, lets see the results from the Wilson and Smith years.
Old 27 Sep 2011, 22:27 (Ref:2961922)   #11
krt917
Veteran

Thanks all for your comments.

It's a debate that is had every year - how much do we give away? I think it would go some way to stopping many of the conspiracy theories, but I know one of the reasons that lots of detail isn't made available is because we want it to be positive for all the finalists and, if someone doesn't do well or has an off day, it might hurt their careers. That's not what we want!

I wasn't a judge in 2007 (Wilson), though I was there on one day, but I was in 2009 (Smith). It was a good close contest that year and I am still comfortable with the call we made.
Old 28 Sep 2011, 15:04 (Ref:2962182)   #12
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i can't remember in detail the previous year's coverage but it would be interesting to find out what the winner did, and what the actual positive feedback was for them. would it be reasonable to reveal the other times anonymously perhaps? i suppose at that point it's then up to the individual drivers themselves if they want to say "actually, finalist b was me" or something similar.
Old 28 Sep 2011, 19:47 (Ref:2962274)   #13
cleanup
Rookie

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by krt917 View Post
Thanks all for your comments.

It's a debate that is had every year - how much do we give away? I think it would go some way to stopping many of the conspiracy theories, but I know one of the reasons that lots of detail isn't made available is because we want it to be positive for all the finalists and, if someone doesn't do well or has an off day, it might hurt their careers. That's not what we want!

I wasn't a judge in 2007 (Wilson), though I was there on one day, but I was in 2009 (Smith). It was a good close contchosen for this awardest that year and I am still comfortable with the call we made.
Thanks Kevin, what you say is of course right but the drivers of this calibre are already in the spot light. What ever they do will be published, good and bad and anybody of significance will appreciate good days and bad days. Constructive criticism whether for good or bad results will give strength to a driver. In the case or the award, it is a very public affair but all too secretive about the nature of how the winner is selected. I actually think its far more damaging to a young drivers career when they are clearly the best and proven junior driver yet with no constructive written evidence to suggest why they did not win the award. There should be nothing to hide, fitness levels are easy to write as are lap times and comments for any of the cars driven and for media interviews, a mark out of ten would be sufficient. Conspiricy theories only come from what we dont know, I have been present at the awards evening a few times now and its great to see our best British prospect get the award, Simms, Williamson just brilliant and their race results support this. Wilson and Smith, in their years, the best driver by a country mile did not win, again the race results thereafter support this. How you can be comfortable with the choice you made baffles me and many others but you must be right and have the information to support it. As much as I appreciate the great work and effort you put into the award, just publish the results and it will give the whole process the credibility it deserves and shut up people like me.
Old 28 Sep 2011, 20:15 (Ref:2962285)   #14
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Could you remind me of who you think should've won it the year Dean Smith won?
Old 28 Sep 2011, 20:33 (Ref:2962293)   #15
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanup View Post
There should be nothing to hide, fitness levels are easy to write as are lap times and comments for any of the cars driven and for media interviews, a mark out of ten would be sufficient. Conspiricy theories only come from what we dont know
I'm not entirely convinced that publishing marks out of ten for interviews would remove any consipracy theories regarding the winner of the award, for such a score is ultimately the subjective judgement of the interviewer. Furthermore, published lap times are unlikely to settle any debates as unless all of the drivers are out on track at the same time and in the same car, judgements will need to be made between the optimal lap time in each session depending on the weather. Also, lap times would not take into account the quality of the drivers' feedback.

From an anorak's point of view, I would be interested in seeing a breakdown of each driver's performance, I wouldn't expect it therefore to settle any debate regarding the 'rightful' winner of the award.
Old 29 Sep 2011, 19:10 (Ref:2962650)   #16
chrisayrton
Rookie

chrisayrton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With your votes, i can become one of the youngest drivers to ever set foot in a formula one car! As part of the McLaren Autosport Award.

This year i have become the youngest formula ford race winner & champion in great britain at 16 years old! With your votes i can be in contention for the award, the winner receiving a full test in a 2011 McLaren Formula 1,

Results of 2011 thus far:

1st National FF1600 Championship
1st Northern FF1600 Championship
1st Champion of Oulton FF1600 Series
3rd Triple Crown FF1600 series (with only 4 of 6 rounds attended)

With all your votes, this really CAN be achieved!!

just email autosport.editorial@haymarket.com with 'nominees' as the subject,

and in the message - chris middlehurst!!
Old 29 Sep 2011, 20:37 (Ref:2962691)   #17
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisayrton View Post
Except, it isn't a vote...
Old 30 Sep 2011, 12:10 (Ref:2962918)   #18
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Quote:
With your votes, i can become one of the youngest drivers to ever set foot in a formula one car! As part of the McLaren Autosport Award.

This year i have become the youngest formula ford race winner & champion in great britain at 16 years old! With your votes i can be in contention for the award, the winner receiving a full test in a 2011 McLaren Formula 1,

Hi Chris,

Well, you've obviously had one hell of a season!!

As John says above and Kevin has confirmed at this stage it's not a vote so just nominate yourself. You only need ONE nomination to be considered. The decision is based on assessment by judges on performance, in and out of the cars, over a number of days.

However, the latter stages of the other Autosport awards are voted for by readers so that's when you need to start canvassing.

Good luck!
Old 1 Oct 2011, 09:18 (Ref:2963358)   #19
Deemun
Racer

Quote:

Really sorry to burst your bubble Chris but voting actually closed Tuesday a week ago and I should think by now the judges have decided or more or less decided who the final six drivers will be. Jason Plato's twitter page earlier in the week said that they were meeting to discuss this very subject.

Also you have to consider that FF1600, while being a fantastic place to begin your car racing career and I am a very big fan of it, doesn't really register as one of the eligible championships under consideration which tend to be domestic National Level or European series. Hence UK Formula Renault, European Formula Renault, MSA Formula Ford, Euro Open F3 (Coppa Class), UK International F3 (National Class) & German F3 (Older Spec Cars) are all considered.

Now the positives for you. As Flavio says above you have had one hell of year and if you can continue your career in that vain you are bound to register as a future candidate. Also at just 16 you have plenty of time on your side.

Congratulations on your fantastic season, good luck in the FF Festival & WHT if you are entering and with the rest of your career
Old 1 Oct 2011, 17:47 (Ref:2963621)   #20
boyndie
Rookie

Scotland
Scottish Highlands
boyndie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanup View Post
As much as I appreciate the great work and effort you put into the award, just publish the results and it will give the whole process the credibility it deserves and shut up people like me.
Strong opinion Cleanup but I do agree, as I intimated last year, with having increased transparency. Also, from a driver perspective, you need exposure and to get yourself onto Autosport / BRDC Awards shortlist itself is a superb achievement. Don't get me wrong, I feel the existence of this award whilst partly, but not wholly, responsible for promoting the next potential UK world champ is a brilliant tool for highlighting the talent that exists within the UK.
However, I feel that the majority of us would struggle to justify any criticism of the top 6 nominees, as noted by KRT917, just because they under performed on test day.
I don't contribute to the prize fund and therefore decisions about result transparency, although hotly debated, remain with contributors.

For what its worth, I had Williamson to win last year and, I reckon Scott Malvern's season has put him in a very strong position for the 2011 prize. Be good to see how the tests go though!
Old 1 Oct 2011, 21:35 (Ref:2963851)   #21
Deemun
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyndie View Post
Strong opinion Cleanup but I do agree, as I intimated last year, with having increased transparency. Also, from a driver perspective, you need exposure and to get yourself onto Autosport / BRDC Awards shortlist itself is a superb achievement. Don't get me wrong, I feel the existence of this award whilst partly, but not wholly, responsible for promoting the next potential UK world champ is a brilliant tool for highlighting the talent that exists within the UK.
However, I feel that the majority of us would struggle to justify any criticism of the top 6 nominees, as noted by KRT917, just because they under performed on test day.
I don't contribute to the prize fund and therefore decisions about result transparency, although hotly debated, remain with contributors.

For what its worth, I had Williamson to win last year and, I reckon Scott Malvern's season has put him in a very strong position for the 2011 prize. Be good to see how the tests go though!
Williamson has proved he was a worthy champion last year and I too would love to see Malvern win this year. He has worked so very hard against all the odds to get this far that he really deserves a break and winning an award like this would really make all the difference to his future career.

But he will still be at a disadvantage as he has still has limited experience of cars with downforce and if he is fortunate enough to be one of the six finalists he will again be up against drivers from winged formulas such as Formula Renault and possibly (German?) Formula 3. The test is likely to use F2/F3 or GP3 which will favour drivers from Formula Renault/German F3

But whether the results of the tests are made public or not I have faith in the process and knowing the calibre of the juudges of the competition I think we just have to trust them to make the correct decision. Even if the results are published I'm sure some will still take issue with them. Only those who are present can know how the drivers performed and remember previous career results earn them their place but their performance during the assessment decides whether or not they are the winner.

Good luck to all six finalists whoever they are!
Old 6 Oct 2011, 12:17 (Ref:2966609)   #22
Redracer77
Veteran

Redracer77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So the 6 have now been released.....

The big surprise is Emil Bernstorff.... dont you have to be English!

It has to be a straight fight between Scott and Alex.

Based on available funding during the year my vote would go to Scott. An amazing year by anyones standards.

I think if Alex didnt win this year we would still see him racing in F3 or GP3 next year but if Scott doesnt win then we might lose one of this countries best current prospects due to his lack of budget.
Old 6 Oct 2011, 12:47 (Ref:2966623)   #23
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redracer77 View Post
So the 6 have now been released.....

The big surprise is Emil Bernstorff.... dont you have to be English!
http://www.emilbernstorff.com/racing/Emils_CV.html
Quote:
Emil Bernstorff was born and grew up in the UK. His parents are Danish with a diverse international background and Emil is proud of his roots in German and Danish nobility dating back to the 14th century, as well as his Norwegian, American and French ancestry.
Old 6 Oct 2011, 13:29 (Ref:2966648)   #24
Peter Cammish
Rookie

Peter Cammish should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To be fair to Chris, I think Emil advised the world he was Danish in Formula Ford. And i am sure he was living in Portugal but might be wrong, admittedly living in Portugal doesnt make you less English.
Good Luck to all the guys, for Speed Go for Rowland, for chance to go all the way go for Lynn , for your heart go for Malvern and if your Swedish or Danish go for Tom or Emil.

If like me you support British Motorsport, then put your head in your hands and wonder why bother and judging by the current grids not many are, finally the UK FR grids are low, the cost to try to compete in the champiosnhip versus the cost in BARC are comparable why didnt Dino Zamperelli make the step? basically a club driver is now included in the final 6 what does that say , also its a precedent that will need to be accepted going forward.

Regards PC
Old 6 Oct 2011, 16:38 (Ref:2966725)   #25
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Maybe a silly question but is Chris Middlehurst something to do with Andy?