Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 8 Mar 2017, 07:52 (Ref:3717202)   #5151
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
A proper due diligence process from Lexus would've weeded out PG pretty quickly. If you're having to change names and/or owners to avoid being sued/put in jail, then you're a dodgy guy. Lexus would do well to cut ties with him.
Old 8 Mar 2017, 10:13 (Ref:3717235)   #5152
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
A proper due diligence process from Lexus would've weeded out PG pretty quickly.
Is there a reason nobody's considered the possibility that nobody else was interested in running the car stateside? It's honestly the only reason I can think of for the program to have been handed to Gentilozzi. I don't think TOYOTA would fail to notice such issues(even if they didn't look themselves, I'm sure RHR's team of lawyers made sure they were aware of the situation).
Old 8 Mar 2017, 12:29 (Ref:3717250)   #5153
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
I feel like we have waited for this car for many years now, dating back to the alms, seeing pics of a ready-to-go car that was never run, now we finally get it and it could get pulled after one or two races. Was it a lexus that I'm thinking of from alms days? Maybe if it was, they were deperate enough to get it out there that they were willing to associate with gentilozzi.

Edit: found this from 2008. Can also find pics of the car from back then. Don't remember it ever running. This is crazy. 10 years later, they finally get on the grid and it's with a guy who could have them seized. Lol.

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=106191

Last edited by RWill2073; 8 Mar 2017 at 12:34.
Old 8 Mar 2017, 13:57 (Ref:3717269)   #5154
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
There was also the GT2S Lexus built to the ALMS' GT2S (sport sedan) rules in 2006 that never turned up, and with PTG pulling their BMWs out at the end of that season and Champion never running their RS4 (originally designed for if they wanted to continue in PWC), that lead to IMSA making GT2S be a "catch all" GT2/GTE subclass comprised of converted GT3 cars or one off builds made with limited or no factory support.
Old 8 Mar 2017, 15:11 (Ref:3717287)   #5155
Mike Hedlund
Veteran

United States
Redwood City, CA
Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!
Manufacturers send out RFP's (Request For Pricing) to all interested parties (teams) and then analyze the responses and pick someone to pay to run the program. They don't always go with who's best. Many times it comes down to simply pricing and I'd suspect RSR came in far cheaper than anyone else to get the deal, but I have no insider knowledge about their situation.

-mike
Old 8 Mar 2017, 16:23 (Ref:3717305)   #5156
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
I don't know if this is legal here, but, for the heck of it...(mod, pull my post if you must....)

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/oth...-you-keep.html

jimclark
Old 8 Mar 2017, 17:29 (Ref:3717315)   #5157
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hedlund View Post
Manufacturers send out RFP's (Request For Pricing) to all interested parties (teams) and then analyze the responses and pick someone to pay to run the program. They don't always go with who's best. Many times it comes down to simply pricing and I'd suspect RSR came in far cheaper than anyone else to get the deal, but I have no insider knowledge about their situation.

-mike
100% factual. RFP's are often written intended to accomplish what you NEED, not what you want... If the deal comes down to one program costing 1.5 million for 70% of your goals, and the next one costing 2.3 million for 80%.. well, it's pretty easy to see who is going to get the deal.

Unfortunately, those writing the RFP, and then evaluating the return have to justify their expenditures to a board... and those members usually don't care what the difference is, they just care about the cash involved.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 9 Mar 2017, 14:27 (Ref:3717521)   #5158
WolfsburgRS
Veteran

United States
Baltimore, MD
WolfsburgRS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimclark View Post
I don't know if this is legal here, but, for the heck of it...(mod, pull my post if you must....)

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/oth...-you-keep.html
Good old Chuck G mentioned in that post. He's still around here, has a huge collection of mid 70s 930s and other old / rare Porsches. He has all of them stashed around my neighborhood in garages. Always fun to see one of them out and about and totally out of place in the city!

As far as Jaguar's racing budget allegedly going to line PG's pockets, I'd heard similar things about a shop that ran Volvo's OLD WC program. Not KPAX, a previous team.

With that sort of talk and known quantity, once again you have to wonder why a company as big as Lexus would choose someone to run their team who would seem such an unlikely choice for success. In my limited range of experience with taking bids for projects, the lowest bidder is never the wisest choice.
Old 9 Mar 2017, 16:31 (Ref:3717544)   #5159
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfsburgRS View Post
In my limited range of experience with taking bids for projects, the lowest bidder is never the wisest choice.
See my post above. Not usually the wisest, but, you have to be able to demonstrate the NEED for extra cash. Takes a special person to be able to swing it.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 10 Mar 2017, 15:33 (Ref:3717796)   #5160
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
So IMSA's released an entry list for Sebring and 10 10ths still doesn't have a race thread:

https://sebringraceway.com/images/20...finalENTRY.pdf

I'm losing faith in Iowans who live in BR.
Old 10 Mar 2017, 20:42 (Ref:3717884)   #5161
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
Out getting a haircut?

TL;DR: out shooting alligators with an airsoft gun
Old 10 Mar 2017, 20:51 (Ref:3717886)   #5162
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyb505 View Post
Out getting a haircut?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
So IMSA's released an entry list for Sebring and 10 10ths still doesn't have a race thread:

https://sebringraceway.com/images/20...finalENTRY.pdf

I'm losing faith in Iowans who live in BR.
Man I'm starting to feel like Rodney Dangerfield over here!

I was going to get around to a thread this weekend.....

And I can't shoot Gators until September. But yes I just had a haircut.
Old 10 Mar 2017, 21:25 (Ref:3717891)   #5163
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Man I'm starting to feel like Rodney Dangerfield over here!

I was going to get around to a thread this weekend.....

And I can't shoot Gators until September. But yes I just had a haircut.
The thread will be started while getting a haircut, in between hog hunts.

Old 12 Mar 2017, 12:35 (Ref:3718165)   #5164
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyb505 View Post
Out getting a haircut?

That's not how this works...
Old 14 Mar 2017, 19:24 (Ref:3718625)   #5165
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
http://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/tr...o-tire-issues/

Quote:
“I’m not happy with the situation over there right now,” Buckler told Sportscar365. “For three years in a row we really got screwed on this rain tire situation with the tire incapable of doing its job but this year it really bit many teams in GTD hard.

“In 2015, we had a major failure in the wet/drying conditions and it destroyed the front of our car. In 2016, exactly the same thing happened again and those tires blew up on the banking and sawed the car apart and caused one of my drivers to leave.

“But this year it was just too much. It destroyed our race and a good part of our program. We finished 13 laps [down], ten of them were because the four flats and the rest from the mystery inconstancies.

“Do I want to build a several million [dollar] program, buy equipment, hire the best guys and have our whole world pivot around tires that are incapable of the task at hand?”

“It’s a really big blow because I had drivers that were set for North American Endurance Cup, and sponsorship and of course a huge group at Daytona,” Buckler said.

“It’s been too much to take. I’m not coming back until it’s resolved.”
Good to see this spec part is so terrible that it costs the series entries.
Old 14 Mar 2017, 20:05 (Ref:3718638)   #5166
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Not to mention that Continental people reportedly said that they can build better tires, but NASCAR/IMSA stonewalls them.
Old 14 Mar 2017, 20:08 (Ref:3718639)   #5167
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

Well I guess he has to pull his entry because IMSA wouldn't be to happy if a competitor talked about the tires like that!
Old 14 Mar 2017, 20:42 (Ref:3718642)   #5168
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Very clearly, the tire situation at Daytona, which was a combination of IMSA restricting Conti's development spending, an out of depth rain tire, severe weather conditions, and teams running ill-advised tire pressures (and potentially inadvisable suspension settings, as well) needs to be fixed.

However, as the article points out, Alegra Motorsports took the race victory with a car identical to TRG's GT3 R. Is there any value in Buckler throwing IMSA and Conti under the bus like that? Even if you didn't have anyone to pay for your full season effort, why throw stones?

Chris
Old 14 Mar 2017, 20:49 (Ref:3718645)   #5169
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonerz View Post
Very clearly, the tire situation at Daytona, which was a combination of IMSA restricting Conti's development spending, an out of depth rain tire, severe weather conditions, and teams running ill-advised tire pressures (and potentially inadvisable suspension settings, as well) needs to be fixed.

However, as the article points out, Alegra Motorsports took the race victory with a car identical to TRG's GT3 R. Is there any value in Buckler throwing IMSA and Conti under the bus like that? Even if you didn't have anyone to pay for your full season effort, why throw stones?

Chris
According to the comments the Alegra car did suffer numerous problems, but got lucky with the location they happened in.

But even that, it isn't like there's one person saying the tyres are junk. We know for a fact they are. So this is just more proof of that. I don't think it's fair to suggest TRG is throwing Conti under a bus when we know Conti tyres are crap a lot of teams had issues with them.

Some teams not having issues doesn't mean the complaints are not valid.
Old 14 Mar 2017, 22:14 (Ref:3718660)   #5170
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
Quote:

Costs guys paychecks too... I mean, that would be accurate if he paid guys...
Old 14 Mar 2017, 22:30 (Ref:3718665)   #5171
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
There were multiple tire issues through the race, with multiple teams as well. So it's a legitimate concern and not just an isolated issue. The tires are bad and not enough teams say it imo.
Old 14 Mar 2017, 23:38 (Ref:3718682)   #5172
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
Well, it's the same as with NASCAR and Goodyear. I'm pretty sure that Goodyear can make better tires if given free reign. But I doubt that NASCAR would want them to.
Old 15 Mar 2017, 00:05 (Ref:3718685)   #5173
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Lol TRG.

Buckler doesn't have the funding for Sebring and is using Conti as the out instead of saying that. Typical Kevin Buckler, blame anything else other than your team.
Old 15 Mar 2017, 07:33 (Ref:3718719)   #5174
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Let's be a bit careful we aren't calling the kettle black here. It's easy to point out that Buckler isn't known for being the most reputable man in the paddock, but that doesn't change the fact that what he said is correct - the tyres were terrible for everyone, including the leaders. So by saying "Buckler is deflecting" all we're doing is deflecting from the actual issue.

The tyres are so bad that teams are quoting that as the reason for leaving the series.
Old 15 Mar 2017, 11:32 (Ref:3718781)   #5175
JLGarcia
Racer

JLGarcia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJLGarcia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Lol TRG.

Buckler doesn't have the funding for Sebring and is using Conti as the out instead of saying that. Typical Kevin Buckler, blame anything else other than your team.
Guess that big money deal w/ Dinner With Racers 2 fell through.