Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 9 Mar 2003, 05:17 (Ref:529616)   #1
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
The BAR pitstop fiasco

It was reported by local coverage that JV made a mistake as Jenson was meant to come in, not Jacques. JV took his spot and Jenson paid the penalty.

If thats true, JV needs a kick in the ass. If BAR made the mistake by calling both in, they need the kick.

Does anyone know (as in really knows, not speculates) what happened. What did the ITV coverage say?
Old 9 Mar 2003, 05:26 (Ref:529628)   #2
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
TeddyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I posted this in another thread but anyway apparently JV's radio wasn't working and he couldn't hear the calls to come in about a lap or two earlier he finally heard them or decided he was due for a stop and came in. I find it remarkable that Button running only a second behind JV decided to follow him into the pits surely he could have figured out that two cars don't go into one pit? That was from ITV.
Doesn't it seem sad that drivers like Fisichella, Coultard, Barrichello, and Ralf all have secure seats in F1, despite having had race winning cars for many more seasons than Jacques, yet failing to chalk up as many wins as he (let alone a WDC) that it is Jacques who doesn't have a drive in F1??? Sad indeed.
Old 9 Mar 2003, 05:28 (Ref:529632)   #3
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was thinking at the time it happened...hmmm i wonder if JV was supposed to pit then. There was a lot of speculation in front of my tele about whether it was intentional
Old 9 Mar 2003, 05:28 (Ref:529633)   #4
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Unless of course Jenson's fuel was marginal enough to make him unwilling to risk doing another lap?

Remember Jean Alesi? That was Australia too....
Old 9 Mar 2003, 05:29 (Ref:529635)   #5
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Don't they use pitboards? Surely you would default to that when the radio is on the blink.

Ah well, a disaster for the team, although I can't think of a driver (or team) that did'nt make mistakes today.

PS: I don't think JV did it deliberately. More of a stupid mistake (if thats the case).
Old 9 Mar 2003, 05:31 (Ref:529638)   #6
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The teams are too damn reliant on telemetry and radios to know how to do a proper pitboard. Wasn't there a debacle early last year also that a pitboard would have solved?
Old 9 Mar 2003, 05:37 (Ref:529646)   #7
golem
Veteran

golem should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think Coulthard personally did anything all that wrong. He was on wets, a fair enough call at the time, comes in for drys and keeps his nose clean. No worries and it paid off.
Gawky supermodels may look stunning in the right clothes, on the right catwalk, in the right city, but in an M&S jumper, on a crowded street, on a wet Wednesday afternoon, only classic good looks will catch the eye. - Ian Eveleigh.
Old 9 Mar 2003, 05:38 (Ref:529648)   #8
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
Quote:
Originally posted by avsfan733
I was thinking at the time it happened...hmmm i wonder if JV was supposed to pit then. There was a lot of speculation in front of my tele about whether it was intentional
Well I think that's bit silly seeing as JV was running ahead of Button at the time. People read way too much into the supposed 'intense rivalry' between these too. Both have denied there is any friction although it doesn't help that the idiots on ITV keep playing it up. But then again it's their job to inject some excitement and tension into the proceedings isn't it.
Old 9 Mar 2003, 06:54 (Ref:529713)   #9
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
When i saw that, it really confused me...

Team controls nowadays are too professional to actually make pitstop blunders like calling in 2 cars at the same time. The only places where such situations are viable is ie Old Hockenheim, Spa etc where an extra lap on the wrong tyres would cost alot. And seeing Jenson is behind Jacques, i would think it is impossible that Jenson wrongly follow Jacques for a pit stop.

The immediate thought was that given the build up to the race, with JV's heavy word on Jenson, he is actually pressurised to see Jenson right behind him all weekend and is keen not to lose the first fight. And that given BAR's current "preference" for Button, the team may have called in Button first to change tyres at JV's expense, and JV knew the positions would reverse if he stays out for an extra lap and hence made the own decision to come in at the same time as Button, effectively staying ahead of Button AND opening a gap

Of course, this is just a theory, and to be fair to JV, i guess i wouldn't conclude on it until all parties have come out to speak about it.
Old 9 Mar 2003, 06:56 (Ref:529715)   #10
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's true, the team where asking Jaques for 2 whole laps to come in and he did'nt, after that they said he had to stay out so that Jenson could have his stop and then Jaques came in.

what a ******

BTW: the radio seemed to be work

Last edited by steve nielsen; 9 Mar 2003 at 07:00.
Old 9 Mar 2003, 07:02 (Ref:529721)   #11
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
From everything I heard, it was a miscommunication between team and driver. These things happen...

But I was disappointed by the race performance from the BAR-Honda. They were quick at the start, but steadily fell off the pace.
Old 9 Mar 2003, 07:06 (Ref:529726)   #12
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it was't a miscomunication, it was Jaques thinking he is more important than the rest of the team.
Old 9 Mar 2003, 09:51 (Ref:529818)   #13
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
Oh come on Steve! Just wait till we hear more about it. What I understand so far is that there WAS a communication problem. JV's radio wasn't working. JV has always been a fair player on the track, moves like that would be against everything he has always claimed to stand for. It just doesn't seem like Jacques. The press is just trying to hype up more nonsense about the JV-JB rivialry. And look it's working isn't it?
Doesn't it seem sad that drivers like Fisichella, Coultard, Barrichello, and Ralf all have secure seats in F1, despite having had race winning cars for many more seasons than Jacques, yet failing to chalk up as many wins as he (let alone a WDC) that it is Jacques who doesn't have a drive in F1??? Sad indeed.
Old 9 Mar 2003, 10:00 (Ref:529827)   #14
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote :"JV has always been a fair player on the track, moves like that would be against everything he has always claimed to stand for. It just doesn't seem like Jacques."

Not to get you worked up.. but it's funny. To think that you are so against Ferrari giving Michael preferred treatment, you are so generous towards JV

Well...Ralf said his radio wasn't working when he was asked to give up his place for JPM...nobody seems to believe...

But i agree we shall hear more about it. So far i've heard is that Jacques made an error (intentional or not) and came in late. And that JV hasn't offered an apology to screwing up Button's race....why? For what he has always claimed to stand for..shouldn't he?
Old 9 Mar 2003, 10:04 (Ref:529831)   #15
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'd hate to think that JV goofed deliberately - that would be a nightmare for BAR.

Hard for JV to offer and apology when he won't even talk to Jense.

Despite Dave R's comments about friendly rivalry I think BAR had a major issue on their hands with this relationship. It could be long hard, 'PR nightmare' of a season.
Old 9 Mar 2003, 10:21 (Ref:529845)   #16
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

NiceGuyEddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agreeing with Steve here. Dutch television did have some radio-footage from that incident. They were yelling box, box, box to Jacques, who obviously ignored that. That lap after, they kept yelling box, box, box, but also told him a few times to let Button past. This time he only ignored the latter part.
Old 9 Mar 2003, 10:25 (Ref:529848)   #17
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
Quote:
Originally posted by Gt_R
Quote :"JV has always been a fair player on the track, moves like that would be against everything he has always claimed to stand for. It just doesn't seem like Jacques."

Not to get you worked up.. but it's funny. To think that you are so against Ferrari giving Michael preferred treatment, you are so generous towards JV

Well...Ralf said his radio wasn't working when he was asked to give up his place for JPM...nobody seems to believe...

But i agree we shall hear more about it. So far i've heard is that Jacques made an error (intentional or not) and came in late. And that JV hasn't offered an apology to screwing up Button's race....why? For what he has always claimed to stand for..shouldn't he?
Why hasn't he issued a public apology? Why should he? All the official reports say that Jacques's radio was dead, how is it JV's fault if this was the case as it clearly was? Furthermore, why on earth would JV issue a public apology, for all we know maybe he apologised to Button privately.
Old 9 Mar 2003, 10:29 (Ref:529854)   #18
Miss Hardt
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
Miss Hardt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This "great" moment ruined the whole race
Old 9 Mar 2003, 10:39 (Ref:529858)   #19
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
And NiceGuyEddie don't you think if the team are yelling and constantly repeating instructions indicates a problem with the radio. Good God I mean some of you people are just grasping at straws. There is no conspiracy or cover-up, his radio didn't work, hell it didn't work in Australia last year either.
Old 9 Mar 2003, 10:42 (Ref:529866)   #20
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

Well Im no technician or anything, it just strikes me as odd that I can hear it, yet he can't. When he cruised by the pits they also yelled 'mixture 2' for fuelconsumption. Did he pick up on that one then? How did he knew when to pit anyways? Did he choose the exact same lap as Button? Plus, we also heard something that couldve been discribed as Jacques' response to the team's call.
Old 9 Mar 2003, 11:53 (Ref:529921)   #21
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is Jacques Villeneuve actually Ralf Schumacher in disguise? :confused:
Classic Eddie Irvine moments, #1
Interviewer: "Why has Schumacher got an odd shaped helmet?" Eddie: "Because he's German, he's got an odd shaped head"
Old 9 Mar 2003, 12:35 (Ref:529963)   #22
Coach44
Racer

Coach44 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by NiceGuyEddie
Well Im no technician or anything, it just strikes me as odd that I can hear it, yet he can't...
Obviously not...Very common to have one radio with a bad receiver (or antenna) while the others work fine...
Old 9 Mar 2003, 13:44 (Ref:530036)   #23
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by Coach44
Obviously not...Very common to have one radio with a bad receiver (or antenna) while the others work fine...
But if Jacques really didn't hear it, why did he answer "No ...(curses) way!"?
Old 9 Mar 2003, 13:48 (Ref:530039)   #24
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Don K
But if Jacques really didn't hear it, why did he answer "No ...(curses) way!"?
So, you heard it too hm?

Apperantly Jacques didn't take the somewhat illegal pitradio-footage of Dutch TV into consideration when he opted for the broken radio-excuse.
Old 9 Mar 2003, 13:49 (Ref:530041)   #25
Coach44
Racer

Coach44 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well then it's a different story...where did you hear he said that?