Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 23 Oct 2012, 03:32 (Ref:3156221)   #101
Scooter185
Racer

United States
Connecticut
Scooter185 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Found some conflicting reports about it when the GT500/DTM merger was announced:

"While ITR had been in negotiations with GRAND-AM on prospects of launching a U.S.-based DTM series, it's believed those talks have subsided."
from the speed article announcing the DTM/SuperGT rules merge: http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...t-join-forces/

"The USA has a key part to play in the deal between the Japanese and German firms with a Grand Am tie up still on the cards. “Grand-Am has said that it will run stand alone races for us if we can find a way to get the cars there and make it work, so with six car makers now it becomes much easier, and with a common chassis maybe an american firm could join in and make a car as well” Ulrich enthused."
from RCE: http://www.racecar-engineering.com/n...e-regulations/
Old 23 Oct 2012, 12:41 (Ref:3156473)   #102
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, that's kinda sucks now that DTM won't be coming to the USA. Maybe in the next few years, the ITR would be supporting Trans-Am instead by shoving their ruleset to that series!
Old 27 Oct 2012, 00:56 (Ref:3158289)   #103
Ncrdbl1
Rookie

Ncrdbl1 is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Rabbit View Post
John Dagys confirmed back in September that the planned DTM USA died sometime in June this year. It's been taken off the table, the man who was responsible for it has left Grand-Am, and the new acquisition of ALMS to form PSCR/ISCAR has been a suitable distraction (as well as creating the bizarre GX class).

SparkNotes: DTM USA has been killed. It is not happening.
The falling out between Super GT and DTM over where the chassis will be built more or less did in the US series. It would require manufactures from both series to make it work in the US. When it looked as if the deal had fallen through then the US deal more or less died because of it.
Old 27 Oct 2012, 06:14 (Ref:3158328)   #104
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ncrdbl1 View Post
The falling out between Super GT and DTM over where the chassis will be built more or less did in the US series. It would require manufactures from both series to make it work in the US. When it looked as if the deal had fallen through then the US deal more or less died because of it.
What did they mean by "where the chassis will be built"? Is it b/c the JGTC rules favours "asian" manufacturers, DTM "European" and US "American" manufacturers?
Old 27 Oct 2012, 07:39 (Ref:3158347)   #105
MJones94
Racer

United Kingdom
MJones94 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There was an interesting discussion about the topic and unification in silhouette racing on the latest shakedown from the drive network.

I would post the link, but I cannot.
Old 5 Mar 2013, 13:01 (Ref:3214526)   #106
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
We should rename this thread to "Looks like happening in 2015 or 2016!"

So the merged championship will focus in endurance racing. That means, I'd rename it Rolex Endurance Championship. This allows some races to be dropped.

My Rolex Touring Car Championship schedule:

Long Beach
Barber
Detroit
Watkins Glen
Mosport
Trois-Rivières
Sears Point
Baltimore
Austin
Road Atlanta

Then the Rolex Endurance Championship would be:

Daytona
Sebring
Lime Rock
Watkins Glen
Mosport
Mid-Ohio
Road America
Austin
Laguna Seca
Road Atlanta

Anyway, wouldn't it be easier to just buy the SCCA World Challenge?
Old 6 Mar 2013, 07:21 (Ref:3214917)   #107
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Came here because of that article. A good read, looks like Dr. Ullrich is pushing for this to happen, and I hope it does as well.
Old 6 Mar 2013, 16:15 (Ref:3215133)   #108
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm not 100% convinced it will come off, but I believe Nascar wants to tap into manufacturer money that is never going to make an appearance in their stock car racing series. So this is a way to do it.
Old 9 Mar 2013, 02:01 (Ref:3216201)   #109
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Anyway, wouldn't it be easier to just buy the SCCA World Challenge?
And buy the Trans-Am Series so that NASCAR can have a monopoly on both endurance and touring car racing? Yeah, it's possible!
Old 9 Mar 2013, 03:39 (Ref:3216218)   #110
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
I'm far from asking it, I'm just wondering whay are they following the longer, more expensive route.
Old 11 Mar 2013, 03:33 (Ref:3216872)   #111
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
DTMUSA should just be Trans-Am...
Old 26 Mar 2013, 22:19 (Ref:3225290)   #112
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...-itr-agreement

Still not sure I understand why this is happening but looks like a done deal now.
Old 26 Mar 2013, 22:42 (Ref:3225308)   #113
Andrew Abbott
Racer

England
Shrewsbury
Andrew Abbott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is basically a different approach for ITR. Instead of trying to create an International Touring Car Championship (look how well that went at the end of '96) they're going to create regional markets.

I wonder where this could be a decade from now...
Old 27 Mar 2013, 03:16 (Ref:3225364)   #114
Scooter185
Racer

United States
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndySpeed View Post
This is basically a different approach for ITR. Instead of trying to create an International Touring Car Championship (look how well that went at the end of '96) they're going to create regional markets.

I wonder where this could be a decade from now...
strong regional series could give rise to a strong world championship or maybe getting entries into the WEC/Le Mans.
Old 27 Mar 2013, 12:13 (Ref:3225517)   #115
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
I'm worried that there's still too many North American sports car championships> USR, Conti Challenge, SCCA World Challenge, now this... With so many options, efforts get dilluted.
Old 27 Mar 2013, 13:52 (Ref:3225562)   #116
Asa
Veteran

Hong Kong
Disneyland
Asa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The difference between DTM America and the other existing series is that there are six manufacturers' marketing prowess behind it.

I suppose US race teams will have to buy/lease cars from the manufacturers to run them in DTM America. But they might get help from the North American dealers/importers.
Old 27 Mar 2013, 15:34 (Ref:3225609)   #117
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
PorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think teams in the first years will get strong backings from the manufacturers, atleast Audi and BMW that will probably run factory teams.
Old 27 Mar 2013, 17:45 (Ref:3225658)   #118
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asa View Post
The difference between DTM America and the other existing series is that there are six manufacturers' marketing prowess behind it.
They could agree to invest in the SCCA World Challenge or the Conti Challenge.
Old 27 Mar 2013, 19:19 (Ref:3225688)   #119
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asa View Post

I suppose US race teams will have to buy/lease cars from the manufacturers to run them in DTM America. But they might get help from the North American dealers/importers.
Correct me if I am wrong but the Japanese manufacturers have not committed to this series.
Old 27 Mar 2013, 20:48 (Ref:3225721)   #120
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
With the US deal on the table that might be a matter of time though. Would make sense for Cadillac to make the move from SCCA as well.
Old 28 Mar 2013, 10:57 (Ref:3225938)   #121
DS"
Veteran

Germany
Germany
DS" should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramzel View Post
Would make sense for Cadillac to make the move from SCCA as well.
Not just for Cadillac, but for GM as a whole. They could run Opels in DTM, while running whatever GM brand is known in SuperGT. GM may have problems in Europe, but they'll have to start to do some investments, in order to break out of the vicious cycle.
Old 28 Mar 2013, 16:28 (Ref:3226048)   #122
MagVanisher
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS" View Post
Not just for Cadillac, but for GM as a whole. They could run Opels in DTM, while running whatever GM brand is known in SuperGT. GM may have problems in Europe, but they'll have to start to do some investments, in order to break out of the vicious cycle.
Maybe a Camaro would be good in Super GT, I think. Then again, NASCAR should buy Trans-Am and turn into DTM USA from SCCA.
Old 28 Mar 2013, 16:47 (Ref:3226056)   #123
juicy sushi
Racer

juicy sushi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I really don't see this making any sense at all, and can't understand the logic of Grand-Am on this (unless they aren't having to put up any of the money).

DTM is not cheap, nor is SuperGT. As it stands, no one from SuperGT has committed to anything, only the DTM guys. I cannot see how a series with no previous North American history, requiring GT/Prototype/Indycar/Nationwide level budgets is going to succeed unless BMW, Audi and Mercedes plan on paying for the cars, operating budgets, TV time and other fees. There are plenty of other struggling road racing series in North America with no traction with the public. I don't see one more making a difference.

Not to mention, DTM fundamentally lacks the key component of successful touring car racing: on-track action. The technical rules are so woefully incompetent that they are introducing DRS to create some passing. How will a North American audience with more entertaing choices find the time to watch this series? It makes no sense. Grand-Am/NASCAR would be better off either running a sprint series with GT cars, or a road racing series using Sprint Cup cars. Both would have a much higher chance of being successful.
Old 29 Mar 2013, 04:02 (Ref:3226261)   #124
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by juicy sushi View Post
I really don't see this making any sense at all, and can't understand the logic of Grand-Am on this (unless they aren't having to put up any of the money).

DTM is not cheap, nor is SuperGT. As it stands, no one from SuperGT has committed to anything, only the DTM guys. I cannot see how a series with no previous North American history, requiring GT/Prototype/Indycar/Nationwide level budgets is going to succeed unless BMW, Audi and Mercedes plan on paying for the cars, operating budgets, TV time and other fees. There are plenty of other struggling road racing series in North America with no traction with the public. I don't see one more making a difference.

Not to mention, DTM fundamentally lacks the key component of successful touring car racing: on-track action. The technical rules are so woefully incompetent that they are introducing DRS to create some passing. How will a North American audience with more entertaing choices find the time to watch this series? It makes no sense. Grand-Am/NASCAR would be better off either running a sprint series with GT cars, or a road racing series using Sprint Cup cars. Both would have a much higher chance of being successful.
DTM racing sucks because they're penalized for every little thing they do.

Give them freedom to actually race without as much ridiculous penalties and you'll see a much better race.
Old 29 Mar 2013, 05:23 (Ref:3226271)   #125
Scooter185
Racer

United States
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by juicy sushi View Post

You bring up needing an IndyCar budget, and I've been thinking that maybe nascar is bringing dtm to the US to compete with Indy. Thoughts? Is my tinfoil hat on too tight??