Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 12 Mar 2002, 21:24 (Ref:233811)   #1
pitpopsie
Racer

United Kingdom
Indiana
pitpopsie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brands Hatch

Does anyone have any veiws regarding health and safety at brands hatch??
Old 15 Mar 2002, 15:15 (Ref:235740)   #2
Flagman
Racer

Flagman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Last time I went there the bogs where definitely as health and safety hazard...
Old 15 Mar 2002, 19:07 (Ref:235880)   #3
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Hi again my dear Pitpopsie. I think there has been much discussion in other forums regarding this issue as you probably know already. Many of the regular marshals are unhappy with the state of the walkways between armco and debris fence, but I understand Octagon are actually looking at the issues? There is also the situation where there are a lack of sensible boxes on post, big enough for fat old Observers like myslef to squeeze into and to allow all the marshals to store their bags in the dry should it rain.

As for the fairer species like yourself, I would imagine the toilet facilities are pretty appalling? It's somewhat easier for men I'm glad to say. But, with the growing numbers of female marshals I think it's about time the facilities were improved. Of course, with the new Octagon season tickets many women will come once, see the state of the ladies toilets and not bother to come again. Said but true I fancy!

What has been your own experience?
Old 15 Mar 2002, 19:14 (Ref:235888)   #4
KayBee
Veteran

England
Royston Vasey
KayBee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's not just at Brands that the toilet facilities leave much to be desired. When at Signing On I have had the choice of post the person who controls the list has always been asked for somewhere near a toilet. I also have a luvly blue stain on my overalls from some gungy blue stuff in the portaloo.

Stephen have a lovely holidayin South Africa - is Mrs Stephen going?

Last edited by KayBee; 15 Mar 2002 at 19:17.
Old 15 Mar 2002, 19:19 (Ref:235895)   #5
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Oh thank you dear lady! I'm leaving on Sunday evening and won't be back until April 7th. Mrs Green is most certainly NOT going!
Old 15 Mar 2002, 22:55 (Ref:236008)   #6
pitpopsie
Racer

United Kingdom
Indiana
pitpopsie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its not just the loos, the h&s in pit lane is unbelievable!! they dont seem to care about anything but MONEY!!
Old 16 Mar 2002, 07:26 (Ref:236224)   #7
jase
Veteran

jase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So what is wrong with the pitlane?
Old 16 Mar 2002, 12:52 (Ref:236409)   #8
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
I tend to agree with youabout the pitlane. The BRSCC held an International GT meeting a few years ago and I was one of two Incident Officers on duty that weekend in the pitlane. There was a severe lack of fire marshals to give adequate cover and you regularly find team members smoking in the pitlane while there are refuellling rigs about. I vowed never to do it again. Blow me if two years ago I didn't get pit wall 2 for the GP at Silverstone. I seem to remember asking Mr Briatore to put out cigarettes on many occasion, not to mention the number of people who smoke during the pitlane walkabout!
Old 16 Mar 2002, 15:43 (Ref:236503)   #9
KayBee
Veteran

England
Royston Vasey
KayBee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can someone explain to me why it is alright either to smoke or be under sixteen in a pit garage but not in the actual pit lane.
Old 16 Mar 2002, 17:07 (Ref:236538)   #10
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Well I don't believe it should be ok to smoke in the garages either. The reason though is that the pitlane is actually part of the live circuit whilst the garages etc are not. Hope that helps?

Stephen
Old 16 Mar 2002, 19:15 (Ref:236632)   #11
jase
Veteran

jase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Green
....There was a severe lack of fire marshals to give adequate cover and you regularly find team members smoking in the pitlane while there are refuellling rigs about. I vowed never to do it again. Blow me if two years ago I didn't get pit wall 2 for the GP at Silverstone. I seem to remember asking Mr Briatore to put out cigarettes on many occasion, not to mention the number of people who smoke during the pitlane walkabout!
Steven, on the continent the teams are allowed to smoke wherever they like, wall/lane/garage. And trying to stop Briatore smoking, try hitting your head against a wall, more effective, I can't think of anyone who has managed to stop him!!

As for pit road walkabouts, we try at all meetings to stop people smoking, especially when fuel rigs are around. We are aware that what with watching for smokers and checking to ensure kids aren't being crushed at the front of a queue rather than smokers, but we can't get them all, any you find is a bonus, but you are on a hiding for nothing trying to stop all of them.

J
Old 16 Mar 2002, 20:41 (Ref:236716)   #12
Richard Sneader
Veteran

Scotland
Grays, Essex
Richard Sneader should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
H&S is always an issue with marshaling and always will be but to approach this subject you have to be careful. Octagon are looking at things at Brands but that is because they employ midweek marshals and they are paid as a job so a duty of care has to be done. The rules are much different for volunteers although this should not be the case. The new observer tins provided by Heinz 57 are **** to say the least but are adequate for the 1 marshal per post for there corporate stuff. We are not being listned to and all the screaming in the world will not get this changed. The more the clubs kick up a stink about marshals the problem then becomes a money issue where the circuits will not have that club back and sell the day to track day or race school or something like that.
The toilet issue is not just cofined to 1 circuit. A few years ago I was IO'ing at Shell Corner at Oulton. A great post but I had my wife and another lady on post. To got to the loo for them they had to go together by going down to the next post getting in the car and driving up to one of the other car parks where there was a ladies loo. So for a whole race I was 2 marshals down. The trip was 1and a half miles there and 1 and a half back. I do not know if this problem has yet been rectified but we did stick in a report.
So I am sorry to sound negative but push Octagon out of motorsport and bring someone in who cares about motor racing and things may change.
Richard Sneader...
Old 16 Mar 2002, 21:16 (Ref:236786)   #13
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by rzsio396
The toilet issue is not just cofined to 1 circuit. A few years ago I was IO'ing at Shell Corner at Oulton. A great post but I had my wife and another lady on post. To got to the loo for them they had to go together by going down to the next post getting in the car and driving up to one of the other car parks where there was a ladies loo. So for a whole race I was 2 marshals down. The trip was 1and a half miles there and 1 and a half back. I do not know if this problem has yet been rectified but we did stick in a report.
It's a bit better now. There are portaloos accessible from Island (the next post after Shell).
Old 16 Mar 2002, 21:19 (Ref:236792)   #14
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
I agree about Briatore Jason, but Silverstone/The MSA did make a few bob in fines that weekend hahaha
Old 16 Mar 2002, 21:46 (Ref:236829)   #15
andrew_powell98
Racer

andrew_powell98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I feel that it is not until a major incident happens that improvements are made. I know in the past marshals report problems with Armco, debris fences and walkways and nothing gets done as the we are advised by officials they are fine, but an incident happens and the over the next few weeks improvements are done. The upside from my view is over the last 2 years the staff at Oulton Park have reacted to complaints by marshalls and have made some improvements. I would hope Octagon would do it all there circuits!
Old 17 Mar 2002, 22:31 (Ref:237855)   #16
rick vaux
Racer

rick vaux should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
..I find the rabbit holes a big problem at many circuits, they are quite deep in places, the rocks and earth kicked up just strewn about the place, shoot the buggers.....
No on a serious note,care must be taken when going to an incident, if we all spend ten mins walking the path that we may have to run,it can save us a visit to the med center for a twisted ankle etc,simple idea, but it does work.
If though, you are at snet, rocks and other such obstacles don`t cause too many problems, just the road kill, rabbits guts don`t easily sweep up !......as we found out at sear last year, after a clio had rolled,probably on said rabbit....eeeeehhhkk.