Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 22 May 2015, 15:39 (Ref:3540207)   #551
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!

the world is a strange funny place sometimes!
Old 22 May 2015, 19:50 (Ref:3540263)   #552
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Since that time he has earned many more millions.
Earned? Or just received, bullied, inveigled and generally extorted on threat of taking his undersupported racing series elsewhere?

I do hope they get him. And if they do, maybe a nice criminal prosecution to follow?
Old 22 May 2015, 21:25 (Ref:3540289)   #553
greentrumpet
Racer

greentrumpet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgreentrumpet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Who will use the least incompetent lawyers, I wouldn't bet on HMRC
Old 22 May 2015, 22:45 (Ref:3540299)   #554
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
At his age....um....he can wait this stuff out.
Old 22 May 2015, 23:06 (Ref:3540303)   #555
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The previous coalition UK government came in for a lot of bad press, regarding the super rich avoiding or not paying tax. I personally think the newly elected Conservative government will want to be seen to be doing something about this and will lean heavily on HMRC.
Old 23 May 2015, 01:13 (Ref:3540310)   #556
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
I don't think Eccelstone is afraid of the British tax people themselves. He's more concerned with how all that bru-ha-ha will play with the CVC people who will be at their wits end at this point with yet another Eccelstonian controversy.

Last edited by Paradise City; 23 May 2015 at 01:38.
Old 23 May 2015, 01:43 (Ref:3540313)   #557
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
I don't think Eccelstone is a afraid of the British tax people themselves. He's more concerned with how all that bru-ha-ha will play with the CVC people who will be at their wits end at this point - with yet another controversy.
I doubt his position in relation to CVC is in much danger, there might be some gnashing of teeth on their part but he is the conduit through which the money flows and for them to end that would be unlikely. I would think that CVC would be planning to exit before Bernie is no longer part of the F1 scene so they do not then have to rebuild and the money tree might then not be so lucrative. As for the latest drama in his life there will be an accommodation reached by both parties, there is no way that sort of money will be paid, the number being touted is only the ambit figure to start negotiations.
Old 23 May 2015, 10:28 (Ref:3540381)   #558
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I wouldn't worry too much about BCE! I would hazard a guess that, in the end, HMRC will slink away without another penny unless he actually volunteers to pay a sum to them in lieu of further investigations. It must be realised that this arrangement between the Revenue and BCE is dwarfed by the other deals that the Revenue made in the noughties, such as the ones with Vodafone and Goldman Sachs, and they are possibly just the tip of the iceberg.

The problem is that the media, especially the printed side, doesn't like to to make too much fuss about sweetheart tax deals in the UK because they all have their own tax avoidance measures in place, so they don't and won't rock the boat too much. So don't expect a concerted campaign to prod HMRC to take action!
Old 26 Jul 2016, 08:28 (Ref:3661243)   #559
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Not actually indicted in this case but I did not want to start another Bernie thread.

However his mother in law has been reported to have been kidnapped in Brazil with a ransom of $36.5 million (about his or CVC's earnings from a GP).

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/be...eports-802347/
Old 26 Jul 2016, 09:47 (Ref:3661257)   #560
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Surprised they didn't target Bernie himself as he is worth so much more.
Old 26 Jul 2016, 11:25 (Ref:3661276)   #561
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
The chances are that Bernie might just know some bigger rouges than the ones that have done the kidnapping !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 26 Jul 2016, 14:18 (Ref:3661304)   #562
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I'm not surprised by this, Bernie has made himself an easy target with the way he goes about things. Shame
Old 26 Jul 2016, 14:51 (Ref:3661317)   #563
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
sad situation but if there was anyone i would want negotiating for my freedom it would have Bernie doing the talking for me.

shame indeed though as she didnt do anything to deserve this...possible security concerns obviously being tied into stories about the Rio games but perhaps more relevant to F1 are security issues connected with future races in Sao Paulo!

scary stuff.
Old 26 Jul 2016, 14:57 (Ref:3661319)   #564
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
Likely easier to kidnap a relative than him. Probably little or no security.

I feel bad for his mother-in-law.

I posted only somewhat tongue in cheek on Facebook, but I was saying that during negotiation Bernie will make it known that Brazil is at risk from being removed from the F1 calendar for the future. Local forces (fans, police, whoever) will put pressure on the kidnappers and they will fold.

Richard
Old 26 Jul 2016, 15:37 (Ref:3661328)   #565
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Although the teams all appear to claim that they like racing in Sao Paulo, they all have to put in place extra security to transport all members of their squads from their hotels to the circuit. This follows from the attempt made on a team of, I think, engineers on their way to the track a couple of years ago.

On a related note, my father was held at knife-point by a taxi driver in Rio de Janeiro a few years ago. Luckily he was released unharmed, but only after the driver had relieved him of his wallet and watch (which was worthless and many years old - a bit like my dad!).
Old 26 Jul 2016, 15:48 (Ref:3661330)   #566
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Jenson Button was subject to an armed attack back in 2010.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-11704802
Old 27 Jul 2016, 11:33 (Ref:3661444)   #567
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
not sure the kidnappers understand "Mother in Law" jokes, they expect him to pay money? As stated above i suspect they have a limited intelligence and probably a limited time before something nasty happens to them totally deserved of course
Old 30 Jul 2016, 02:10 (Ref:3661964)   #568
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
I posted only somewhat tongue in cheek on Facebook, but I was saying that during negotiation Bernie will make it known that Brazil is at risk from being removed from the F1 calendar for the future. Local forces (fans, police, whoever) will put pressure on the kidnappers and they will fold.
I though the same. Brazilian GP future is in risk, more with tragedies like this.
Old 1 Aug 2016, 08:41 (Ref:3662798)   #569
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I hear that Bernie's mother in law has been released by police on my local radio station.
Old 1 Aug 2016, 10:04 (Ref:3662814)   #570
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
I hear that Bernie's mother in law has been released by police on my local radio station.
So your local radio station has it's own police force ! how much did Bernie pay them to fly over
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 1 Aug 2016, 13:02 (Ref:3662850)   #571
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
So Bernie refused to pay £12m to the kidnappers, and so they released his mother in law
Old 1 Aug 2016, 14:16 (Ref:3662860)   #572
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
My earlier post that was (tongue in cheek) was probably nearer the mark and he paid a bigger gang to find her that quick !
Old 1 Aug 2016, 20:00 (Ref:3662926)   #573
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It's good she was released unharmed. I am sure her security situation is going to be revised after this experience!

Anyhow, in addition to my somewhat tongue in cheek comment about threatening to drop the Brazilian GP, I expect a real factor was the amount of pressure Bernie was able to put on those in power (including an unspoken impact to the GP) plus the natural embarrassment of Brazilian authorities to have a high profile kidnaping so close to the start of the Olympics. I expect people on the ground were motivated in many ways to resolve this quickly!

Richard
Old 2 Aug 2016, 10:14 (Ref:3663003)   #574
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
It looks like one of those who worked for Bernie felt they were not getting enough $$$$$$ according to Brazilian police.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ec...apping-804781/
Old 8 Aug 2016, 04:11 (Ref:3664233)   #575
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think this is a matter for no jokes...