Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 19 Jan 2017, 01:36 (Ref:3703454)   #526
JABWOA
Veteran

Australia
3rd star to the left
JABWOA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The good thing (I think) is that its clear to Bottas what he needs to do, no lingering doubt about future drives. As noted above, it is entirely up to him to show what he can do.

Merc still has plenty of scope for next year with Hamilton (iirc) and Vettel and Alonso up for new contracts. I imagine LH would wait to see massive improvement from the Prancing Horse or dive from Merc before jumping ship, he wants championships not bed post notches.
Old 19 Jan 2017, 01:57 (Ref:3703457)   #527
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What happens if the 2017 Mercedes chassis isn't as good/dominant as it has been in previous years?

Its not an impossible thought...

Mercedes dominating the 2017 WDC & WCC isn't actually a walk up start..
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 19 Jan 2017, 05:21 (Ref:3703491)   #528
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Toto Wolff on the phone about signing Bottas HERE.
Old 19 Jan 2017, 11:39 (Ref:3703555)   #529
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
This one year contract is going to be interesting on two levels.

Firstly, it could provide Lewis with the perfect wing man. Bottas has to accalimatise himself with the team and then there's the actual racing. He's got to deliver but will Mercedes want him to actively challenge Lewis? I always felt Toto Wolff was never comfortable with Lewis and Nico racing each other.

Secondly, this is a fantastic opportunity for Bottas. Again, he's got to deliver but as this is for one year, why not go all out and show how good he is.

I'm looking forward to see how this pans out.
Old 19 Jan 2017, 11:41 (Ref:3703556)   #530
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
What happens if the 2017 Mercedes chassis isn't as good/dominant as it has been in previous years?

Its not an impossible thought...

Mercedes dominating the 2017 WDC & WCC isn't actually a walk up start..
I was thinking the same.
Old 19 Jan 2017, 15:40 (Ref:3703592)   #531
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Pete View Post
I wonder if anything he can do will be "good enough".
i think Bottas' biggest advantage is that he will costs so so much less then any of the top name drivers who may be available for 2018.

if he can do enough in the car to secure a consistent stream of 1-2 finishes for Merc or, if the car is not top the field, makes sure he finishes right behind LH then he will have proved his worth (at a bargain price) and the team will retain him for a second year.
Old 19 Jan 2017, 16:53 (Ref:3703602)   #532
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I think the one season deal is right, as I've said before this season we'll see how good he really is. If he has a stellar season, he would have proved the doubters wrong and Merc will be happy to keep him. So we'll see
Old 19 Jan 2017, 17:23 (Ref:3703610)   #533
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Question / opinion - is it fair to say that Williams now have the weakest driver pairing on the grid?!

Also - Bottas was almost dropped by Williams (if Button had said yes to joining alongside Lance) - and has now ended up in the dominant team.
Old 19 Jan 2017, 22:09 (Ref:3703649)   #534
JABWOA
Veteran

Australia
3rd star to the left
JABWOA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not the weakest pairing, but close. However, the team enviroment will be so much better than the others (Sauber in particular) and with the additional investment Williams hopefully can do wonders with it. They should be able to give FI a run for their money.

Massa isn't a slouch and did drive quite well last year. Stroll will be interesting but possibly is the most well trained rookie in a long while.

Torro Rosso and Renault need to be the big improvers this year after underwhelming last year. And hopefully Haas can maintain momentum further into the year.
Old 19 Jan 2017, 22:14 (Ref:3703650)   #535
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
i think Bottas' biggest advantage is that he will costs so so much less then any of the top name drivers who may be available for 2018.
His manager didn't do a very good job then
Old 19 Jan 2017, 22:21 (Ref:3703652)   #536
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by spider View Post
Question / opinion - is it fair to say that Williams now have the weakest driver pairing on the grid?!
I don't know if I would say weakest, but rather place a large question mark in that category because we just don't know what Stroll is like in an F1 car. Otherwise Manor (bigger unknown), Force India, Sauber and maybe even Haas all do not have particularly strong lineups IMHO.

Quote:
Also - Bottas was almost dropped by Williams (if Button had said yes to joining alongside Lance) - and has now ended up in the dominant team.
Is this less a vote of no-confidence of Bottas than it is a strong vote of confidence of Button by Williams? Plus... Clearly understanding that Button is at the end of his career and his best days are behind him, but if Stroll was looking for an experienced mentor/measuring stick as a teammate, are you going to say that Bottas would have worked better in that capacity than Button? Note the reported condition in Stroll's contract was an experienced teammate. For all I know Bottas is faster today than Button. But nobody on the grid today has as much experience (F1 starts) as Button.

Richard
Old 20 Jan 2017, 02:54 (Ref:3703682)   #537
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Pete View Post
I guess the one year deal leaves options open for 2018 once other big name drivers are on the open market.

This puts all the pressure into Bottas and the ball is totally in his court. Basically it is up him to make the decision for Mercedes whether or not they keep him or let him go. He is in a car where he will be expected to win races vs hoping to win.

Mercedes has left the door open, but it is up to Bottas to close it. This leads to a hypothetical question...if Bottas performs well and gets a few wins and keeps Hammy on his toes, would Merc still sign Vettel or Alonso if they showed interest? What kind of season would Bottas have to have to thwart being shown a friendly exit ( other than winning the drivers championship)?

With those driver options out there (along with Ocon and Werhlein if they have stellar seasons) pretty much can make Bottas feel "temporary". It sounds like it can be a daunting task regardless how well he does. I wonder if anything he can do will be "good enough".
The counter to this would be should Bottas do a good job and Merc still sign Vettel or Alonso to replace him, then he becomes a very good option for the Ferrari/McLaren vacant seat.
Old 20 Jan 2017, 06:45 (Ref:3703702)   #538
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
Quote:
Not sure that is true. In fact, Claire Williams has previously said that Williams F1 had a firm contract for 2017 and an option for 2018 with Valtteri. Williams wasn't going to "drop" Bottas. But Bottas wanted to drop Williams. First was in 2015 when Ferrari wanted him for 2016. Williams blocked that move. Then again last year when Renault wanted him for this year, Williams and Bottas' management blocked that move. Williams were very keen to keep Bottas in the team for at least two more years.

And Button was never going to join Williams. Plus, Jenson has a contract with McLaren and also with Honda.
Old 20 Jan 2017, 06:49 (Ref:3703704)   #539
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
I cannot see Vettel or Alonso driving for Mercedes in the near future. Just can't see it happening. Not while Hamilton is still driving for them anyway.
If Hamilton stays at Mercedes for 2-3 more years, then both Vettel and Alonso will not be driving for Mercedes.
Old 20 Jan 2017, 11:59 (Ref:3703784)   #540
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
I cannot see Vettel or Alonso driving for Mercedes in the near future. Just can't see it happening. Not while Hamilton is still driving for them anyway.
If Hamilton stays at Mercedes for 2-3 more years, then both Vettel and Alonso will not be driving for Mercedes.
Who is to say Mercedes will continue to be the top team for the next 2-3 years?
Old 20 Jan 2017, 15:50 (Ref:3703854)   #541
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
His manager didn't do a very good job then
when your managers are business partners with your new boss!

in other Merc news...they have recruited George Russell to their Junior Program with a guarantee that he will never graduate to a full time race seat!
Old 20 Jan 2017, 21:12 (Ref:3703921)   #542
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I wouldn't have thought Mercedes needed more juniors, unless a Russell is DTM-bound.
Old 21 Jan 2017, 15:12 (Ref:3704076)   #543
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
that role was actually offered to other drivers, so it was a specific vacancy they were looking for someone to fill. afaik the racing budget is subsidised but not 100%.
Old 21 Jan 2017, 15:45 (Ref:3704080)   #544
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Russell is about to start GP3 this year, at the age of 18? I predict he'll be the 2020 DTM Champion. By that time Gary Paffet and di Resta will be in old tartan PJs, and talk about the good old days when they almost maybe kinda got to see a top F1 seat.
Old 22 Jan 2017, 08:33 (Ref:3704192)   #545
Neppatsrev Xam
Racer

Netherlands
Neppatsrev Xam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
so why not Wherlein?, maybe this is why............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fhz_2gSpT_Y
Old 22 Jan 2017, 12:39 (Ref:3704234)   #546
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Watched it live. Such a bizarre accident. Just drove into the central barrier for no apparent reason. Interview afterwards was very awkward too.
Old 22 Jan 2017, 13:58 (Ref:3704236)   #547
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Massa' s still got it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 22 Jan 2017, 16:22 (Ref:3704248)   #548
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Watched it live. Such a bizarre accident. Just drove into the central barrier for no apparent reason. Interview afterwards was very awkward too.
It looked to me he just ran wide, clipped the first block of foam that pushed the front wheels out of alignment, and veered the car itself to the right.
Not really as bizarre as it may seem at first.
Old 22 Jan 2017, 16:29 (Ref:3704250)   #549
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
He didn't run wide - the car is straightened up by that point. If you run wide at that corner you clip a concrete block, which is what Massa did (got a time penalty for it which knocked him out). Kanaan also ran wide there (due to the steering wheel snapping) and hit the barrier before the gantry.

The gap in the barriers there is to allow the vehicles to cross the track after lap 1. It almost looks like Wehrlein forgot if it was lap 1 or 2, didn't know if he should cross over the track, didn't commit to either and just ploughed through the barrier. His car was completely straightened out for 2-3 seconds before he hit the barrier. It reminds me of the time Grosjean drove into the back of Webber at Suzuka - the whole world seen the accident was going to happen, and no attempt what-so-ever was made to avoid it - he just ploughed into the back of him. Absolutely zero situational awareness. Same issue here - no idea what he was doing, so did nothing and crashed. Hardly a good advert for his race craft.
Old 22 Jan 2017, 17:00 (Ref:3704251)   #550
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
He didn't run wide - the car is straightened up by that point. If you run wide at that corner you clip a concrete block, which is what Massa did (got a time penalty for it which knocked him out). Kanaan also ran wide there (due to the steering wheel snapping) and hit the barrier before the gantry.

The gap in the barriers there is to allow the vehicles to cross the track after lap 1. It almost looks like Wehrlein forgot if it was lap 1 or 2, didn't know if he should cross over the track, didn't commit to either and just ploughed through the barrier. His car was completely straightened out for 2-3 seconds before he hit the barrier. It reminds me of the time Grosjean drove into the back of Webber at Suzuka - the whole world seen the accident was going to happen, and no attempt what-so-ever was made to avoid it - he just ploughed into the back of him. Absolutely zero situational awareness. Same issue here - no idea what he was doing, so did nothing and crashed. Hardly a good advert for his race craft.
I thought the same. It seemed he didn't know where to go.