Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: How do you rate the British Grand Prix?
10 0 0%
9 0 0%
8 7 14.58%
7 12 25.00%
6 13 27.08%
5 9 18.75%
4 4 8.33%
3 2 4.17%
2 0 0%
1 1 2.08%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11 Jul 2016, 22:25 (Ref:3658421)   #26
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Taking 3 hours or so to decide on a clear breach of the rules, and then impose a penalty that (if it sets a precedent) means the rule can readily be ignored seems ludicrous.
That's an interesting slant on the situation. So, if I understand you correctly, you're saying that Mercedes claim there was a terminal problem, which by definition means the car wouldn't finish the race. Then they sort it out with a radio instruction and the car finishes second. The stewards think a rule has been broken so demote the car to third. So the conclusion is, to avoid a retirement you break the rules and get docked one place. I find it hard to disagree with you, Lancsbreaker.
Old 11 Jul 2016, 22:28 (Ref:3658423)   #27
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
The rule wasn't broken when he gave the code. It was broken though when he then went further and talked about the gear.
Old 12 Jul 2016, 06:54 (Ref:3658473)   #28
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Gave it a 6 - was pretty good when the track was damp & variable, lousy when the cars ran behind the SC and pretty vanilla once the track had dried out.
Old 12 Jul 2016, 08:34 (Ref:3658487)   #29
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I agree that SC starts are not interesting to watch, and that racing only seems to begin once the track is dry enough for wets. I (glass-half-full) look at it in a different light though.

As long as I accept that F1 won't race on full wets, then they should be considered as the most effective means of drying the track. The first few laps behind the safety car served the purpose of drying out the track enough to allow the race to begin.
Had the drivers waited for the track to dry of its own accord, then it would have been a few hours before the race could begin - as shown by how long the 1st corner took to dry even when in use.
Old 12 Jul 2016, 09:01 (Ref:3658490)   #30
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
7 from me. Verstappen taking the fight to the Mercs livens things up at the front. Not the greatest race ever, but drivers were on the edge of adhesion thanks to the slippery conditions. Could have been more interesting if the window to change from wets to inters and then to slicks was not quite so clear cut.
Old 12 Jul 2016, 10:09 (Ref:3658500)   #31
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's not just that we missed 10% of the race behind the SC, but that it would have been the best part of the race. We might have seen some wicked passing, maybe even a dipsh-t Mercedes spinning off or something.

The fact we had to wait so long that the race was no longer wet enough for wet tyres is ridiculous. Whiting is a complete idiot, assuming it was his decision.

I think the only thing saving this season from total boredom is Max Verstappen. We had a couple years of Merc domination, but I'm really over it now. It really sucks that there's only 2 drivers that can win an F1 race these days. Even if RB and Ferrari can get close, they never beat them because Merc can turn the cars up so much in qualifying so they've always got track position. I gotta admit, I look forward to GP2, V8 Supercars and Indycar more than an F1 race these days.
Old 12 Jul 2016, 14:12 (Ref:3658532)   #32
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzzor View Post
The fact we had to wait so long that the race was no longer wet enough for wet tyres is ridiculous. Whiting is a complete idiot, assuming it was his decision.
I suspect they are paranoid of having another Bianci style accident.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 12 Jul 2016, 16:44 (Ref:3658555)   #33
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesH View Post
I suspect they are paranoid of having another Bianci style accident.
Well that's stupid if that's the case because if anything we've got the VSC to avoid incidents like that again
Old 13 Jul 2016, 18:15 (Ref:3658717)   #34
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
About a 6. What was the go with the pace car start? Couldn't see any real danger that needed pace car intervention. Is F1 becoming more and more of a nanny series? The WEC is looking more and more interesting.
Mind you, we had 53 minutes behind the safety car at the start of Le Mans this year...... I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't been there to see it.......
Old 13 Jul 2016, 22:24 (Ref:3658737)   #35
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
the WEC has always been interesting

But in namby pamby race starts that end up with too long under the SC the two series are on a par.
Old 13 Jul 2016, 22:41 (Ref:3658739)   #36
fergus_r
Veteran

United Kingdom
fergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
5. Some good spins at Abbey.
Old 14 Jul 2016, 13:40 (Ref:3658818)   #37
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Well that's stupid if that's the case because if anything we've got the VSC to avoid incidents like that again
So why do we still have physical safety cars if the VSC is so good?
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 14 Jul 2016, 15:25 (Ref:3658831)   #38
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
thats a good question? i suppose i would say that it would look really weird/unnatural if the race stared behind a VSC.
Old 15 Jul 2016, 04:47 (Ref:3658899)   #39
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
VSC is good for recovering a car/debris off track. The physical safety car bunches up the cars to allow a bigger gap between cars while track marshals are clearing up cars/debris between the white lines. But I think you knew that.

If organisers think it is too wet to race then send the cars around on more sighting laps. At Silverstone I think they could have given the drivers a couple of sighting laps and then had everyone grid up for a regular start. Apparently these F1 guys are quite skillful and can drive in difficult conditions.
Old 16 Jul 2016, 10:59 (Ref:3659041)   #40
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
37deg 46'52.36" S 144deg 59' 01.83"E
Notso Swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No physical gaps if they are rolling off the grid together though (!)

THe big thing I can think off is the Pace car is assessing the situation plus the lead drive gets the advantage of backing them up then choosing when to hit it
Old 22 Jul 2016, 00:24 (Ref:3660045)   #41
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Depends on who is leading and how the championship is going as to whether you want to close the field up or not!
Old 22 Jul 2016, 02:04 (Ref:3660062)   #42
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Depends on who is leading and how the championship is going as to whether you want to close the field up or not!
A tad cynical?