Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 21 Jan 2004, 16:01 (Ref:845543)   #1
pole2pole
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Belfast
pole2pole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Live Qualifying?

With the new timetable for the 04 season resulting in both qualifying sessions running back to back on the saterday,will we still see live qualifying on are tv screens, It would be nice to see both sessions live but I dont think that will happen
Old 21 Jan 2004, 16:07 (Ref:845552)   #2
Redblurr
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redblurr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I e-mailed ITV [UK] about this - still waiting for reply
Old 21 Jan 2004, 16:12 (Ref:845556)   #3
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Somehow I think there's a fat chance it will happen.
Old 21 Jan 2004, 16:23 (Ref:845566)   #4
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Dunno..bugger all else on ITV Saturday afternoons
Old 21 Jan 2004, 16:41 (Ref:845588)   #5
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
Yeah, and all weekend pretty much, apart from the Grand Prix itself.
Old 21 Jan 2004, 17:13 (Ref:845624)   #6
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I heard we only see the second session live and the first one not at all. It certainly sounds very ITV like.
Old 21 Jan 2004, 18:01 (Ref:845672)   #7
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
well look on the bright side we dont have to hear ALlen for 2 sessions in a row!!
Old 21 Jan 2004, 21:22 (Ref:845901)   #8
Pit_Lane_Babe
Rookie

Pit_Lane_Babe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
lol good point Ralf! Although seeing as they are doing both qualifying sessions back to back, it would be nice to see them both. Otherwise, what's the point if it is not to make good TV and getting the ratings up? They might as well save the hassel and leave them on a Friday and Saturday if fans are not going to get some benifit out of it also.
Old 21 Jan 2004, 23:48 (Ref:846121)   #9
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Think yourself lucky. In Australia we dont get qualifying at all!
Old 21 Jan 2004, 23:54 (Ref:846134)   #10
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I hear Berni digital might (please!!!) make a come back!
Old 22 Jan 2004, 00:37 (Ref:846221)   #11
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here in the states, the qualifying for almost all of the GP's are on at such an un-godly hour, that I think there shouldn't be any problem at all, showing them back-to-back.

Hell, who else would want the airtime at those hours!

Danica Patrick
Old 22 Jan 2004, 02:50 (Ref:846360)   #12
grumpy1
Veteran

grumpy1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wrex i know it sucks don't it and if my info is correct the AGP this year will be a delayed telicast by half an hour into Vic(includes country vic).Anyway if you log onto www.F1live.com you can get the info updated every 60 seconds
I would assume the maybe RaceTime will do the AGP as well but am unsure on this.

The Grumpy1
Old 22 Jan 2004, 08:49 (Ref:846504)   #13
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Surely with both ITV1 and ITV2 now, there should be space to show both sessions live?
Old 22 Jan 2004, 09:09 (Ref:846524)   #14
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Stephen I thought I was the naive one around here.
Why would you expect that wehn rather than use that option in 2003 they preferred to show reruns of things like "I'm An Aardvaark Get Me Some Ants" ??
Old 22 Jan 2004, 09:31 (Ref:846545)   #15
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
Quote:
Originally posted by GP Racer
Here in the states, the qualifying for almost all of the GP's are on at such an un-godly hour, that I think there shouldn't be any problem at all, showing them back-to-back.

Hell, who else would want the airtime at those hours!
An infomercial?
Old 22 Jan 2004, 09:33 (Ref:846547)   #16
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
Quote:
Originally posted by PaulSands
Stephen I thought I was the naive one around here.
Why would you expect that wehn rather than use that option in 2003 they preferred to show reruns of things like "I'm An Aardvaark Get Me Some Ants" ??
Yeah ITV are frustrating. Like with the evening races, when they announce every 5 minutes that the charade that masquerades as a Salfordian soap opera is delayed by 2 more minutes. Then they cut the after-race coverage short so we can see more dodgy rubbish.
Old 22 Jan 2004, 09:34 (Ref:846550)   #17
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
Quote:
Originally posted by Wrex
Think yourself lucky. In Australia we dont get qualifying at all!
My God, that is absolutely appalling.
Old 22 Jan 2004, 10:24 (Ref:846606)   #18
Testure
Veteran

Testure should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Green
Surely with both ITV1 and ITV2 now, there should be space to show both sessions live?
Not everyone that gets ITV1 can get ITV2. Me for example
Old 22 Jan 2004, 11:46 (Ref:846683)   #19
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Or me Testure. It would still be a good use of ITV2 to put it on there live, and maybe show the brief highlights in 15 mintues before the second session on ITV1. But my expectations of seeing anything beyond Silverstone live are low. For US, Malaysia and Canada we may not even get qualifying 2 live - Brazil might be an exception if the title is still up for grabs - with the new engine rule qualifying could have a bigger importance.
Old 22 Jan 2004, 14:13 (Ref:846850)   #20
pole2pole
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Belfast
pole2pole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So say ITV1 decide to show the second session live, well surely they would be live on air.....say 15-20minutes before the session starts. According to the timetalbe the time gap between the two sessions is 2 minutes. So just imagine the ITV1 coverage starts and we are told if your wondering what the noise is in the back ground your just missing the first session. I think ITV will either show both sessions live or highlights of session one and the full qualifying session late on the saturday night/sunday morning. I agree with all of you about ITV2
Old 23 Jan 2004, 00:11 (Ref:847650)   #21
Pitstop
Veteran

United Kingdom
Devon, UK
Pitstop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Like Redblurr, I have also emaled ITV (UK) with the 'Coverage' question'.

If I get a reply(?) I'll post it.
Old 23 Jan 2004, 03:10 (Ref:847787)   #22
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
codename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcodename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Green
They've wanted to do this for ages, but Bernie won't let them (remember the US GP 2000 debacle, ITV2 viewers got to watch the race while we had to wait for Corrie....well, that maddend him that did, so much that he banned LIVE F1 from ITV2 )

They may have considered it, but now they've got BTCC and WRC to be doing on sometimes the same weekends, so amazingly their saturdays are pretty full now (how did that happen! )

Besides, if it's anything like last year, the first session is about as important as a installation lap anyway, barring weather!
Old 23 Jan 2004, 10:04 (Ref:847994)   #23
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
Quote:
Originally posted by pole2pole
So just imagine the ITV1 coverage starts and we are told if your wondering what the noise is in the back ground your just missing the first session.
Don't underestimate ITV. They would do this, I'm convinced of it. They shaft the viewers enough anyway. It's just like the channels which do not have rights to screen sporting events, so they broadcast "pundits" watching the TV and commentating on the events.

It's a joke, but not one I'd discount easily.
Old 23 Jan 2004, 13:53 (Ref:848226)   #24
grumpy1
Veteran

grumpy1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
glad to see you people in the UK have the same problems as us Aussies.By the way have you seen a world cup laying around anywhere we seemed to have misplaced it.

The Grumpy1

Last edited by grumpy1; 23 Jan 2004 at 13:54.
Old 23 Jan 2004, 14:40 (Ref:848287)   #25
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
As the demise of Berni's unmatched digital F1 programme proves...there just aint enuf of us to make it work! damn it!

I feel sorry for anyone who missed the 2002 season on Berni TV...Fridays have never been the same...nor has the live coverage of qualifying :-(