Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

Old 4 Nov 2004, 07:20 (Ref:1144474)   #1
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Where to start

My 6 year old son wants me to buy playstation for Xmas. I am a complete novice when it comes to games and so I would like some advise as to where to start. A friend has PS2 with the GT3 game and my lad is hooked on it so that is why he wants it.

But is PS2 the best way to go or a PC based games a better route?

Last edited by Mal; 4 Nov 2004 at 07:21.
Old 4 Nov 2004, 07:44 (Ref:1144488)   #2
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well, as someone who hasn't played on a console (much) since a Sega Saturn, I'd always advocate the pc route for gaming. With a decent spec machine and a good graphics/soundcard combination, IMO games play better and definitely look better on a pc. But I know there are plenty of people here who will probably disagree with me........
Old 4 Nov 2004, 07:53 (Ref:1144497)   #3
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Consoles are really good fun for when all your friends come round though, and you can sit playing each other.
Old 4 Nov 2004, 09:33 (Ref:1144562)   #4
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
Hobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Plus, consoles are so much easier to 'pick up an play'. Theres no compatability issues betwwen hardware, and more an more games offer online play.

Plus, the slimline PSTwo is coming on sale at £99.99.
Old 4 Nov 2004, 11:26 (Ref:1144651)   #5
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think a 6 year old would get more fun out of a console, just press the on button, insert the game and away you go.

I'm a PC gamer myself so don't have a clue what games are out/due soon. I do know GT4 is going to be released fairly soon so you might want to grab that for your son.
Old 4 Nov 2004, 11:42 (Ref:1144659)   #6
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, consoles are made for little children!
Old 4 Nov 2004, 13:02 (Ref:1144709)   #7
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
oi! This 21 year old 'little child' loves his console . For a kid though it's definitely the best plan and if you want GT3 you can only play it on the PS2 anyway.
Old 4 Nov 2004, 13:14 (Ref:1144718)   #8
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
For a 6 year old, definitely a console because you can just power it up and play.
Also if you want to stay up to date you won't have to buy a new console every year or so, unlike computers...
Old 4 Nov 2004, 13:43 (Ref:1144749)   #9
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'd have to agreed with the age thing, for sure.
Old 5 Nov 2004, 07:42 (Ref:1145324)   #10
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Thanks for the advice guys. It looks fairly unanimous that I should get PS2 and GT3/4
Old 5 Nov 2004, 12:32 (Ref:1145488)   #11
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
i don't know if GT3/4 is really a 6 year old boy game
maybe some platform games . like frogger

Ciao Marco
Old 6 Nov 2004, 22:46 (Ref:1146369)   #12
mitzi dude
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
mitzi dude should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I reckon some kids nowa days pick up on computer games quicker than some adults.so a 6yr.old may surprise yuh!.
Mal goe for it, my kids where young when I got my ps2.
Old 6 Nov 2004, 23:28 (Ref:1146391)   #13
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
In all honesty, I wouldn't let a six year old loose on a PC anyways.....too many things to fiddle around with and mess up!

I know this because I've done it myself!

Console definitely, so easy to use and bloody good fun.
Old 7 Nov 2004, 08:38 (Ref:1146547)   #14
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
There are some very young kids supposedly negative on GPL, so underestimate them at your peril!
Old 7 Nov 2004, 11:31 (Ref:1146627)   #15
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That's actually scary to think that any child can be that good at GPL!

*shudders*
Old 7 Nov 2004, 11:42 (Ref:1146631)   #16
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Most younger kids are exceptionally good at games, I suppose that's natural.
Though watching my brother play Halo (PC version) online last night was quite funny. You can tell they're all kids, because they were all trying to 'escape' the level boundaries, instead of playing properly...
Old 7 Nov 2004, 15:24 (Ref:1146695)   #17
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Hahaha....

Actually, my little half-brother is bloody good at Half life and Halo. Started playing at 3 and mastered it in pretty much a few months. I'd say he's better than me just about....amazing.

When I was 3 I was still playing with my little toy Williams' and McLarens! LOL
Old 7 Nov 2004, 17:13 (Ref:1146750)   #18
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I first had a Sega megadrive when I was about 7 and worshipped it played it with my dad and his friends,especially the golf game which was so basic, it was great.

My cousin who first started playing a nintendo at 3 or 4 but he never knew who to play.

But anyway the best route to go is probably the playstation route, why because all the best games come out on the PS2 and there are hundreds of games for it.
And the graphics on an Xbox are not all that better.

Last edited by luke; 7 Nov 2004 at 17:14.