Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 12 Apr 2017, 22:42 (Ref:3725981)   #51
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
It's all good, that's why we continue to love racing isn't it ..
Old 12 Apr 2017, 23:12 (Ref:3725986)   #52
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
Couldn't agree more.
Old 12 Apr 2017, 23:28 (Ref:3725989)   #53
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
totally.

i cant get over just how much of a chance he is taking and just how admirable i am finding this decision.

to be honest, my opinion of FA over the years has been up and down but i really didnt ever see myself ever rooting for him again...but i am! regardless of how well he does, this is why i love sports!
Old 12 Apr 2017, 23:47 (Ref:3725995)   #54
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't think it's a coincidence that F1 runs Monaco and Nascar runs Charlotte on the same weekend of Indy. It prevents any of their drivers heading to Indy and supporting a rival series. Which is a great shame. I bet if F1 and Nascar in particular left it a clear weekend we'd have a lot more crossovers happening. Although, Nascar it's not so important to run every race anymore, just a race win allows you into the playoffs.

Maybe Alonso's entrance will make other F1 drivers sit up and say, "hey what is this Indy 500, maybe I should give it a go"

There's so many practise sessions pre-race that Alonso will have done the full race many times over. If he's going to crash big time, it'll be before race day. Kurt did alright for his first time in a single seater. Honda have a great chance this year as well. I think this decision would not have been made until after the first 2 races of the Indycar season where Honda has shown strong pace for once. I bet he wouldn't be doing Indy if Penske were sitting 1-2-3-4 in qualifying like they were a couple of seasons ago in the first races.

He's going to have some strong competition from Penske, Dixon, RHR and the other Andretti boys, even Hinch. Ganassi's entire switch to Honda was about the Indy 500 and Dixon was dominant there in 2015 and came up short so you know they're hungry. Helio and Kanaan might be in there final 500's, Montoya has something to prove after being fired for Newgarden. Hinch and RHR were really strong last year and Munoz was fastest at the end but just ran out of time to catch Rossi.

Can't wait!
Old 13 Apr 2017, 00:27 (Ref:3725999)   #55
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzzor View Post
I don't think it's a coincidence that F1 runs Monaco and Nascar runs Charlotte on the same weekend of Indy. It prevents any of their drivers heading to Indy and supporting a rival series. Which is a great shame.
An attitude I hate - a stronger motor sport is a stronger F1.
Old 13 Apr 2017, 01:35 (Ref:3726008)   #56
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
A race started on the same weekend as the 500 to keep drivers from running in a competing series was no unique situation decades ago, especially on Memorial Day weekend. What survived became tradition and that's hard to break, even though there's been a few to pull the double.

I for one hope we can start getting more cross overs in all motor racing. Alas, it's best for series right now to concentrate on their product and not concern themselves with what the others are doing.

Perhaps this will help encourage more cooperation....
Old 13 Apr 2017, 01:50 (Ref:3726009)   #57
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
A race started on the same weekend as the 500 to keep drivers from running in a competing series was no unique situation decades ago, especially on Memorial Day weekend. What survived became tradition and that's hard to break, even though there's been a few to pull the double.

I for one hope we can start getting more cross overs in all motor racing. Alas, it's best for series right now to concentrate on their product and not concern themselves with what the others are doing.

Perhaps this will help encourage more cooperation....
I don't see why a series can't concentrate on their product, as well as getting more driver cross overs. If an F1 driver wants to do Indy, great and if an IndyCar driver wants to do Le Mans, that's great as well; Bourdais does both. This has got to be good for motorsport in general.
Old 13 Apr 2017, 02:15 (Ref:3726018)   #58
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I don't see why a series can't concentrate on their product, as well as getting more driver cross overs. If an F1 driver wants to do Indy, great and if an IndyCar driver wants to do Le Mans, that's great as well. This is good for motorsport in general.
Indeed it is good for us "motorsports fans" like you and I but altering your product for the sake of another isn't anyone's MO ATM, nor should it be. Alonso to Indy for one race is a shot in the arm to Indy but could be the opposite for F1.

Changing traditions for the mere possibility of 1 or 2 drivers seems a bit far fetched right now imho, but if it can be used to the advantage of the series making the alterations, then they'll do it, but only then.

I'd like to see more crossovers and cooperations. Imagine all F1 teams heading to Indy for the month of May to compete in the world's most daunting speedway race. It would be epic. Crossover opportunities are very rare and I fear days of many are long gone, with very slim hopes of a return.
Old 13 Apr 2017, 02:25 (Ref:3726022)   #59
10TENTHS
Veteran

10TENTHS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F1 drivers have more restrictive contracts, especially after Kubica's crash. Mansell had the benefit of extensive pre-season testing, Alonso is jetting back and forth and probably only getting 1 test day before practice (granted, there is a lot of practice even with the 2-week Indy 500 schedule).

I suppose compared with F1 that is a lot of testing. They even have time to run good drivers that are not under contract yet: Felix Rosenqvist, Robin Frijns, Dean Stoneman, Robert Wickens just to name a few recent examples.

It's commonplace for drivers in North America to race multiple car types. There were a few Gold Coast 600s with Indycar drivers, they have raced at all the big sportscar events (Sebring, Le Mans, Daytona, etc), and some part-timers have taken it further still (Brabham in Stadium Trucks, Formula E, a late model stock car). Spencer Pigot raced Porsche Cup and the Daytona 24 before he even got to Indycar.
Old 13 Apr 2017, 02:42 (Ref:3726027)   #60
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Indeed it is good for us "motorsports fans" like you and I but altering your product for the sake of another isn't anyone's MO ATM, nor should it be. Alonso to Indy for one race is a shot in the arm to Indy but could be the opposite for F1.

Changing traditions for the mere possibility of 1 or 2 drivers seems a bit far fetched right now imho, but if it can be used to the advantage of the series making the alterations, then they'll do it, but only then.

I'd like to see more crossovers and cooperations. Imagine all F1 teams heading to Indy for the month of May to compete in the world's most daunting speedway race. It would be epic. Crossover opportunities are very rare and I fear days of many are long gone, with very slim hopes of a return.
Does one product have to be altered for another? It's not as if a bunch of F1 drivers have decided they are all going together to race at Indy or Le Mans. It's more likely that, one or two drivers would like to be able to race at one of these other iconic races and the same for teams.
Old 13 Apr 2017, 02:56 (Ref:3726029)   #61
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Does one product have to be altered for another? It's not as if a bunch of F1 drivers have decided they are all going together to race at Indy or Le Mans. It's more likely that, one or two drivers would like to be able to race at one of these other iconic races and the same for teams.
In a way. Yes. It's the schedules in addition to what 10TENTHS pointed out that contracts may be restricted.

Thank Honda for this one. As surprising as this one is, is there even any other possibilities right now?
Old 13 Apr 2017, 07:47 (Ref:3726050)   #62
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Could we see the 500 be a round of the World Championship in 2021?
Old 13 Apr 2017, 08:28 (Ref:3726056)   #63
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Again you mean?
Old 13 Apr 2017, 09:15 (Ref:3726061)   #64
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
I actually would hope not. Imagine if it was a F1 event would we want to see the 500 ruined by a Mercedes 1-2? At least we know with Indycar anyone can win. Not literally but 2/3rds of the field could. The racing Indycar provides is simply much more competitive and closer between the teams than what F1 can provide. We just need more big names to join up for one-offs instead of all the recent ex-Indycar drivers that no longer have full time rides. Jay Howard, Servia, Chaves, Karam (though he could be a contender), Mann *yawn*

The other rookies Jack Harvey, Ed Jones and Zach Veach don't exactly get my excitement levels up either.

Only Montoya and Alonso are the interesting one-offs.
Old 13 Apr 2017, 11:45 (Ref:3726076)   #65
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Sniff Petrol have their usual sideways look at this story: http://sniffpetrol.com/2017/04/13/al.../#.WO9kgbeGPIU
Old 13 Apr 2017, 13:41 (Ref:3726095)   #66
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I actually would hope not. Imagine if it was a F1 event would we want to see the 500 ruined by a Mercedes 1-2? At least we know with Indycar anyone can win. Not literally but 2/3rds of the field could. The racing Indycar provides is simply much more competitive and closer between the teams than what F1 can provide. We just need more big names to join up for one-offs instead of all the recent ex-Indycar drivers that no longer have full time rides. Jay Howard, Servia, Chaves, Karam (though he could be a contender), Mann *yawn*

The other rookies Jack Harvey, Ed Jones and Zach Veach don't exactly get my excitement levels up either.

Only Montoya and Alonso are the interesting one-offs.
Ah, but when it was a round of the WDC they did not have to drive cars to FIA regs, points were scored for driver's result. Effectively if a driver did both F1 and Indy he used appropriate cars. I don"t ever recall it being a factor in who won the WDC however.

Taking the principle further could be interesting, allow points from say Le Mans or other major races

Old 13 Apr 2017, 14:22 (Ref:3726102)   #67
10TENTHS
Veteran

Quote:
Jack Harvey
Why not? His racing record is better than some guys in F1 *cough Ericsson*. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_H...Career_summary
Old 13 Apr 2017, 14:33 (Ref:3726103)   #68
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It would be interesting, if the most recent lot of F1 drivers did go into IndyCar after F1. Much like Piquet, Mansell and Montoya. I was just thinking that Jenson Button might consider it - after his gig at Monaco and when his McLaren contract runs out.
Old 13 Apr 2017, 14:42 (Ref:3726105)   #69
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by stripedcat View Post
...I was just thinking that Jenson Button might consider it - after his gig at Monaco and when his McLaren contract runs out.
which leads to another interesting question...i wonder how long the Indy plan was in the works for and was there ever an option for Button compete in it?
Old 13 Apr 2017, 15:03 (Ref:3726111)   #70
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
In a way. Yes. It's the schedules in addition to what 10TENTHS pointed out that contracts may be restricted.
I'm taking schedules and contracts into account and that's why I think there won't be loads of drivers crossing over, just 2 or 3. We're sort of seeing that happen already, though to a limited extent with a some IndyCar drivers participating at the Daytona 24 hrs and Le Mans.

Quote:
Thank Honda for this one. As surprising as this one is, is there even any other possibilities right now?
Well, maybe Honda have just got a little bit excited, as they have won the first 2 rounds of this years IndyCar series and a Honda driver is leading the championship? So they went for the big one with Alonso.
Old 13 Apr 2017, 15:23 (Ref:3726117)   #71
10TENTHS
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
which leads to another interesting question...i wonder how long the Indy plan was in the works for and was there ever an option for Button compete in it?
Zak Brown said he brought it up in conversation with Alonso back at Melbourne, and then talks progressed with other parties in the last few weeks. I'm surprised they kept it secret for a month, because some of the press already knew about it.
Old 13 Apr 2017, 16:27 (Ref:3726136)   #72
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
I'm taking schedules and contracts into account and that's why I think there won't be loads of drivers crossing over, just 2 or 3. We're sort of seeing that happen already, though to a limited extent with a some IndyCar drivers participating at the Daytona 24 hrs and Le Mans.

Well, maybe Honda have just got a little bit excited, as they have won the first 2 rounds of this years IndyCar series and a Honda driver is leading the championship? So they went for the big one with Alonso.
In comparison, it's relatively easy to get some entered into Daytona and perhaps Sebring. Over the years, many "national" touring series drivers have headed south for the winter and early spring.

Drivers have grown up watching and knowing many disciplines of motoring and yearn to go fast in anything they can, which is fantastic. I just don't see series assisting in the process that much and being an F1 driver would really complicate things more, which makes this one that much more unique and fantastic!

And more power to Alonso and Honda. It's awesome and I'll try to stay on the bright side of life!
Old 13 Apr 2017, 17:33 (Ref:3726161)   #73
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
BBC radio news has been reporting this afternoon that JB will replace Fernando for Monaco, but looking at the BBC Sport website, it doesn't sound quite so certain....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/39589767
Old 13 Apr 2017, 17:35 (Ref:3726166)   #74
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Jenson Button set to replace Fernando Alonso for McLaren at Monaco Grand Prix

McLaren executive director Zak Brown says two-time champion Alonso's replacement is "not in place".

But there is no other serious option than Button, 37, who is contracted to McLaren as a reserve driver and will race barring unexpected circumstances.

That headline literally is just made up then. Very good BBC.
Old 13 Apr 2017, 18:11 (Ref:3726177)   #75
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Not a shocker but good for Jenson.