Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 11 Jul 2017, 03:42 (Ref:3750316)   #51
Jam3s
Racer

Jam3s should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think being within 10k of 2015 and 3k of last year which had better support lineups is still pretty decent.
Old 11 Jul 2017, 03:47 (Ref:3750317)   #52
blaarg
Racer

blaarg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
This again

If you didn't go to the venue, who cares how many people went, really...
Nothing to see here, move along!
Old 11 Jul 2017, 08:58 (Ref:3750346)   #53
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The promoter?

The vendors?
Old 11 Jul 2017, 09:24 (Ref:3750350)   #54
Average Punter
Veteran

Australia
a drug store in Wagga
Average Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I can do anything with stats

The 2009 race thread had 211 replies and 17,558 views.
The 2017 race thread has had 54 replies and 3615 views.

What does it all mean really???

I've been to Townsville three times and it's one of the best meetings around.
Punters Beer Fest. Indy 02, Clipsal 03, Winton 04, Paperclip 05, Darwin 06, Oran Park 07, Phillip Island 08, Sandown 09, Townsville 10, Symmons 11, Eastern Creek 12, Winton 13. Townsville 14. Paperclip 15, Sandown 16, Symmons 17, PI 18, The Bend 19
Old 11 Jul 2017, 09:45 (Ref:3750353)   #55
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
The promoter?

The vendors?
The coffers in the State Government?
Old 13 Jul 2017, 20:22 (Ref:3751005)   #56
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
This again

By this again do you mean falling crowd engagement in tax payer funded street event? You know - like a sydney, Canberra or Hamilton?
Old 13 Jul 2017, 22:11 (Ref:3751026)   #57
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Judicial Vision: Townsville concertina
Old 14 Jul 2017, 00:31 (Ref:3751037)   #58
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
By this again do you mean falling crowd engagement in tax payer funded street event? You know - like a sydney, Canberra or Hamilton?
No. An unhealthy obsession with crowd numbers, the same old story that it looked empty from the overhead shot, that the line up to the toilet was less this year, Supercar are counting wrong blah blah blah.

Forwards nothing but a whinge fest.

You could cut & paste the same conversation from more than a dozen (more like 5 dozen!) threads on here and it's always the same result.

Everyone sits in their own corner, defending it as if the lives of their mother & children depend on it... except truly, it's not that important.

If you don't like government money being used on sport, complain to your local state or federal member, but make sure you itemise all the monies spent on any other sporting or cultural event too, just in case people might think you are biased against motorsport...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 14 Jul 2017, 00:56 (Ref:3751042)   #59
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
If you don't like government money being used on sport, complain to your local state or federal member, but make sure you itemise all the monies spent on any other sporting or cultural event too, just in case people might think you are biased against motorsport...
Yeah, when Governments spend as much money to lure 1 golfer out here to play in a tournament, as they put in to support the running of a whole car race for a weekend... You're looking in the wrong place

Not to mention millions squandered on so called art...
Old 14 Jul 2017, 01:00 (Ref:3751043)   #60
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Calm down GTR

Having watched the racing on free to air over the weekend (yes that old chestnut) and speaking to those who made the trip North I didn't see/hear any noticeable drop in crowds. Townsville geographically is important as there are a lot of fans in the area and even people from other states go there because its a good weekend. There might be another round in the same state but Ipswich might as well be in another country going on how far apart they are from each.

Hope the event goes from strength to strength regardless of how I feel about the future of the category

Im all for government money being spent on motorsport, they waste enough on arts and other bs that I couldn't care less for. The figures spent on motorsport must pale in relation to all the other crap the government wastes my taxes on so the more the merrier. They could spend more on grass roots motorsports and club level but I digress.
Old 14 Jul 2017, 04:11 (Ref:3751065)   #61
PS2244
Veteran

Australia
Newcastle, NSW
PS2244 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
Calm down GTR

Having watched the racing on free to air over the weekend (yes that old chestnut) and speaking to those who made the trip North I didn't see/hear any noticeable drop in crowds. Townsville geographically is important as there are a lot of fans in the area and even people from other states go there because its a good weekend. There might be another round in the same state but Ipswich might as well be in another country going on how far apart they are from each.

Hope the event goes from strength to strength regardless of how I feel about the future of the category

Im all for government money being spent on motorsport, they waste enough on arts and other bs that I couldn't care less for. The figures spent on motorsport must pale in relation to all the other crap the government wastes my taxes on so the more the merrier. They could spend more on grass roots motorsports and club level but I digress.
Earlier in this thread I posted the official crowd numbers they were only a few thousand at most down on last year and considering the financial climate of Townsville currently that is quite good. Also as for you DRT with all due respect I don't understand your quarrels with Street Circuit Racing and government expenditure on it

Last edited by PS2244; 14 Jul 2017 at 04:19.
Old 14 Jul 2017, 05:50 (Ref:3751074)   #62
RedZedMikey
Racer

Australia
Victoria, Australia
RedZedMikey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS2244 View Post
Earlier in this thread I posted the official crowd numbers they were only a few thousand at most down on last year and considering the financial climate of Townsville currently that is quite good. Also as for you DRT with all due respect I don't understand your quarrels with Street Circuit Racing and government expenditure on it
I'm not speaking for DRT, but my beef with government expenditure for street races is that the money is spent on a single use event rather than infrastructure. The "track" is only used for that 1 weekend, and then its gone. Governments spend hundreds of millions of dollars on sports stadiums, arts centres and the like which can then be used week after week, all year round. Then, after a few years, millions more are spent enlarging, improving, and upgrading them. I don't begrudge that expenditure, although I don't utilise those facilities much at all.

Investing that street circuit money in existing or new circuits creates or improves the facilities for the public and the competitors - and these facilities are, or for new circuits, could be used for competition, club events, testing, driver training year round.

I get that governments want events that are reasonably close to their CBD, and therefore have good support from tourist accommodation, facilities etc to attract interstate and international visitors. I also get that new circuits will never be built close to those CBDs and high population centres, so we have a conflict between facility location and tourism support.

Victoria will be tested in a few years when Sandown closes. One of very few suburban race tracks left; on a train route, and holder of the iconic Sandown 500 for many years. One answer is for the government to invest in Calder. If they don't want government cash to be used on a privately owned circuit, then buy the circuit! This is of course conditional on being zoned such that it can continue to run without fear of being closed down by encroaching urban settlement.

They could also take the approach taken by the WA government in building the Kwinana Motorplex. Locate a new facility in an industrial environment not likely to be urbanized, and go from there. Similar to Kwinana, the land around the refinery and other plants between Melbourne and Geelong come to mind. Near Avalon airport maybe? Will the Avalon Proving ground continue to be used after this year???

Our chosen sport has a strong NIMBY feel about it, and that is a cross we have to bear. It just seems that the dollars spent creating events could be better spent creating facilities and infrastructure, and providing assets that will earn an income in the future. We don't need Tilkedromes - Formula One's insistence on that sort of facility has a lot to answer for.
Old 14 Jul 2017, 05:54 (Ref:3751077)   #63
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZedMikey View Post
Victoria will be tested in a few years when Sandown closes. One of very few suburban race tracks left; on a train route, and holder of the iconic Sandown 500 for many years. One answer is for the government to invest in Calder. If they don't want government cash to be used on a privately owned circuit, then buy the circuit! This is of course conditional on being zoned such that it can continue to run without fear of being closed down by encroaching urban settlement.
Calder will be houses as soon as bribes pass hand about the contaminated land, as happened around Spotswood!
Old 14 Jul 2017, 08:00 (Ref:3751096)   #64
PS2244
Veteran

Australia
Newcastle, NSW
PS2244 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZedMikey View Post
I'm not speaking for DRT, but my beef with government expenditure for street races is that the money is spent on a single use event rather than infrastructure. The "track" is only used for that 1 weekend, and then its gone. Governments spend hundreds of millions of dollars on sports stadiums, arts centres and the like which can then be used week after week, all year round. Then, after a few years, millions more are spent enlarging, improving, and upgrading them. I don't begrudge that expenditure, although I don't utilise those facilities much at all.

Investing that street circuit money in existing or new circuits creates or improves the facilities for the public and the competitors - and these facilities are, or for new circuits, could be used for competition, club events, testing, driver training year round.

I get that governments want events that are reasonably close to their CBD, and therefore have good support from tourist accommodation, facilities etc to attract interstate and international visitors. I also get that new circuits will never be built close to those CBDs and high population centres, so we have a conflict between facility location and tourism support.

They could also take the approach taken by the WA government in building the Kwinana Motorplex. Locate a new facility in an industrial environment not likely to be urbanized, and go from there. Similar to Kwinana, the land around the refinery and other plants between Melbourne and Geelong come to mind. Near Avalon airport maybe? Will the Avalon Proving ground continue to be used after this year???

Our chosen sport has a strong NIMBY feel about it, and that is a cross we have to bear. It just seems that the dollars spent creating events could be better spent creating facilities and infrastructure, and providing assets that will earn an income in the future. We don't need Tilkedromes - Formula One's insistence on that sort of facility has a lot to answer for.
that is plausible in my view and thankyou for sharing your perspective on it. personally I think street events work well on the fact that there in the heart of the city instead of being a fair distance away which is tourism wise is beneficial especially for local businesses such as cafes and accomodation facilities in the vicinity and as well promoting the respective area on a national scale in a street circuit setting is more effective.. Also as a Newcastle east end local another more personal for me per se advantage from is getting infrastructure redevelopment programs are being pushed forward years ahead of scheduale on account of the event being announced which is going to be immensely benenficial in the long term. But each has their respective advantages no doubt Tailem Bend for example will be a great all-year round facility and it's great to see government backing for motorsport specific facilities was well as street circuits
Old 15 Jul 2017, 01:21 (Ref:3751320)   #65
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
Calder will be houses as soon as bribes pass hand about the contaminated land, as happened around Spotswood!
They'd need to grease some palms to get it re-zoned, too.

As it is, it's zoned appropriately for a racing circuit, but to be honest, that's all it has going for it.

For the most part, the place is too far gone in many aspects, to just tart it up. However, the costs to knock it flat and start again, are just as eye-watering.
Old 15 Jul 2017, 02:09 (Ref:3751323)   #66
Mixer
Veteran

The flat track is too short, and the Thunderdome is just gone.
Old 16 Jul 2017, 22:16 (Ref:3752043)   #67
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS2244 View Post
that is plausible in my view and thankyou for sharing your perspective on it. personally I think street events work well on the fact that there in the heart of the city instead of being a fair distance away which is tourism wise is beneficial especially for local businesses such as cafes and accomodation facilities in the vicinity and as well promoting the respective area on a national scale in a street circuit setting is more effective.
So what happens when street events dont provide benefits for local businesses? Or hypothetically do not garner the economic returns that have been 'sold' to governments to get the funding in the first place? Do you still feel street events work then? For example Canberra or Hamilton?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
No issue on money being spent on sport - especially those that provide sustainable impacts for the community such a permanent infrastructure.

What makes you think I am biased against 'motorsport'?

The issue in discussion here is when events are sold on certain KPI's (such as crowds, EOI etc) are these aren't met or are dwindling - such as the most recent event at Homebush.

Your response of 'why does it matter' shows a complete lack of understanding for the way the business works. Added to this, previous posts where you claimed that the Homebush event should retained because 'its a good day out for the corporates' suggests a little bias of your own.
Old 19 Jul 2017, 04:46 (Ref:3752682)   #68
Average Punter
Veteran

Australia
a drug store in Wagga
Average Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I did have a laugh when Greg Rust mentioned the "Westpac" 400 during the podium presentation on Sunday...

#footinmouth
Punters Beer Fest. Indy 02, Clipsal 03, Winton 04, Paperclip 05, Darwin 06, Oran Park 07, Phillip Island 08, Sandown 09, Townsville 10, Symmons 11, Eastern Creek 12, Winton 13. Townsville 14. Paperclip 15, Sandown 16, Symmons 17, PI 18, The Bend 19